Off Topic Banter

phaseshifter
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Re: Off Topic Banter

Unread post by phaseshifter » Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 am

@rooted i don't think he has the time atm to give much of his time here..i am shore those who know are quite aware of how things are with him and his tribe...wishing them all well..if he has time to pm then i have time to reciprocate...phase....
These users thanked the author phaseshifter for the post:
rooted (Sat May 18, 2019 5:15 am)
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat May 25, 2019 11:17 pm

Fixed, thanks mod.

phaseshifter
C1+,,C-2,,,

Unread post by phaseshifter » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:56 am

hope thing`s are going good and well for you and your tribe..peace out phase...
rooted (Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:30 am)
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:33 am

phaseshifter wrote:hope thing`s are going good and well for you and your tribe..peace out phase...
It's not much different mate, still out of town but my son is getting a little stronger. I hope you are well.

thatchunkylad1989
ODROIDs: C2, XU4
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 am

Hello. never saw this before.
Anyone got any tips on what I can do with an ODROID C1+ that's sitting around doing nothing? :D

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 am

Convert it into a pihole or vpn concentrator. Or a print server if you have a usb printer around.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 am

I already have my Pi Zero W as my Pi-Hole server.
You got me thinking though; can I somehow route all of my traffic through my C1+ - so I can keep an eye on what connects and what device is pulling the most data?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:29 am

Yes, but you'd need to tinker with networking. What software will you be using to calculate where data flows and who are the top talkers?

There are two options:
1. Setup squid proxy on the C1 and set it as a proxy for your other machines - but https traffic will not pass easily through the proxy.
2. Set it as authoritative dhcp server in your network and use two subinterfaces - one connects to your router (a /30), the other to your lan. You're basically turning your C1 into a router (you'll need to manually add your lan class in your router's routing table).

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:08 am

mad_ady wrote:Yes, but you'd need to tinker with networking. What software will you be using to calculate where data flows and who are the top talkers?

There are two options:
1. Setup squid proxy on the C1 and set it as a proxy for your other machines - but https traffic will not pass easily through the proxy.
2. Set it as authoritative dhcp server in your network and use two subinterfaces - one connects to your router (a /30), the other to your lan. You're basically turning your C1 into a router (you'll need to manually add your lan class in your router's routing table).
Since you are a network engineer could you tell me how fingbox passively monitors a network?

https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox

What equivalent Linux software could do the same thing on an Odroid?

Without additional set-up it can do all this.

Code: Select all

Description

The plug & play device for network security and control that’s built for every home:

Detect presence: Fingbox shows you who is home and what devices are in use at all times. Know when your kids are back from school or wife is home from work.

Parental control: schedule digital downtime in advance during homework or bedtime to keep your children off their devices. Someone playing too much Fortnight? Pause or block any device on demand when you need to.

Remote monitoring: 24/7 monitoring of your home network and all devices connected to it Intruder detection & blocking: automatically block any device from joining your network in advance to keep intruders out. Find intruders on your network and block them.

Bandwidth hog identification: select devices and find out bandwidth consumption to streaming experience. See which may be slowing down the network.

Wi-Fi & Internet speed: automated speed tests to see your Internet Service Provider (ISP) performance over time. Use the information to see how good your Internet service is and complain or switch if necessary.

Wi-Fi attack detection: alerts about attacks (deauthentication flood, man in the middle, KRACK attacks)

Internet security checks: identifies opened ports and security risks Wi-Fi sweet spot finder: Identify the best connection and dead zones around your home

Digital Fence: see all devices near your home even if they are not connected to your Wi-Fi

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:44 pm

rooted wrote:Since you are a network engineer could you tell me how fingbox passively monitors a network?
Challege accepted :) I'll try to answer inline. Their device seems to have gigabit ethernet and I expect that needs to be hooked up. It could have an active role (dhcp server and wifi AP) - which would make things easier. But some things could work passively as well.
Description

The plug & play device for network security and control that’s built for every home:

Detect presence: Fingbox shows you who is home and what devices are in use at all times. Know when your kids are back from school or wife is home from work.
This is actually easy to do - if you track the people over wifi. Here's an integration between Home Assistant's device tracker and Kismet - which scans for nearby clients: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... __1xZXUyX0

Parental control: schedule digital downtime in advance during homework or bedtime to keep your children off their devices. Someone playing too much Fortnight? Pause or block any device on demand when you need to.
If the fing device is inline (e.g. as a router), it's easy. If not, and if the target is a wifi device you can send deauth packets to kick him off the wifi (see this on an odroid: https://books.google.ro/books?id=JlwqDA ... th&f=false)
If the target is wired, you'll need to do arp poisoning so that you force the router to forward its traffic to you - though it might not always work and could be disruptive. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_spoofing
Remote monitoring: 24/7 monitoring of your home network and all devices connected to it Intruder detection & blocking: automatically block any device from joining your network in advance to keep intruders out. Find intruders on your network and block them.
Could be done with a combination of wifi jamming/deauth. Detection (if connected to wifi can be done passivly with arpwatch.
Bandwidth hog identification: select devices and find out bandwidth consumption to streaming experience. See which may be slowing down the network.
Could be done passivly over wifi, Tools like kismet can show traffic volume per client.
Wi-Fi & Internet speed: automated speed tests to see your Internet Service Provider (ISP) performance over time. Use the information to see how good your Internet service is and complain or switch if necessary.
speedtest-cli
Wi-Fi attack detection: alerts about attacks (deauthentication flood, man in the middle, KRACK attacks)
Kismet can detect those and notify/take action if needed.
Internet security checks: identifies opened ports and security risks Wi-Fi sweet spot finder: Identify the best connection and dead zones around your home
nmap/nessus for security checks. For the other something custom I suppose.
Digital Fence: see all devices near your home even if they are not connected to your Wi-Fi
Same as my first reply.

So you could do the same as diy, but it will eat up some of your time to set it up and polish it.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
rooted (Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:02 pm)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for the response mate, my understanding is it does all this passively meaning you don't connect to it through DHCP/DNS or WiFi.

Eventually I will check out kismet, I already know about deauth'ing wifi and arp poisoning but thought maybe there was another way I didn't know about.

I certainly didn't know you could gather bandwidth usage statistics like you described. I get what you said over WiFi but how would you do this to devices connected to the LAN?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Regarding bandwidth - you need to remember that even encrypted wifi keeps layer 2 information (mac addresses) in the clear - that way you can calculate bandwidth consumption (you know the destination mac and packet size), and do tracking. Newer androids (9) randomize their mac on beacon probes to prevent tracking, though if you connect to an AP you will still send traffic with your MAC address.

Regarding being completely passive - I don't know. To enforce limits you need to be able to send. That or integrate with the router and have it kill the connection.

One problem that they don't mention is how many radios they have. To be efficient (to prevent channel hopping) they need to tune to your AP channel. Though if you have multiple access points on differenr bands (2.4/5), things get more difficult.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
rooted (Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am)

Gburas
languages_spoken: English, Polish
ODROIDs: Xu4, N2

Unread post by Gburas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 pm

hi
quick question, i understand difference between i386 and arm architecture, but i have this cheap tablet "Teclast X80 Pro 32GB Intel Z8350 Quad Core". Originally he had win 10 and android, i re-flashed him to be only android CM. This core Intel Z8350 what architecture it is, because he can run windows and android? Next question is normal win32 apps can run on this (i know i can simply try to install them but as i mentioned i wipe out windows)? i`m wondering if he could run VCDS program.

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Unread post by elatllat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Gburas wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 pm
...Intel Z8350 what architecture...
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 2-ghz.html

it's x86_64b
Gburas wrote:
...windows and android?
both OSs are available on multiple architectures
Gburas wrote:
...? i`m wondering if he could run VCDS program...
On android on the Z8350 I assume, maybe with wine.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:57 am

I see the Pi 4 was released today, it seems they always try to compete with Hardkernel on release dates. Seeing as the H2 just became available for purchase.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:13 am

Seems more beefy than the regular Pi. I wonder if their GPU/video decoder/kernel support are as mature as with previous boards... That was their main advantage. Some said that moving away from the original Broadcom SOC would cost them these advantages. But they have a huge community, I'm sure they can work things out...

elatllat

Unread post by elatllat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:39 am

The image of the board shows a silk screen date of 2018, so maybe they were working on software and supply chain for the last 6-18 months. N2 has a nicer cooling design, and it's nice the H2 is available but I think fewer people will be finding odroid while looking for a rpi upgrade as has happened over the last 5 years.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am

mad_ady wrote:Seems more beefy than the regular Pi. I wonder if their GPU/video decoder/kernel support are as mature as with previous boards... That was their main advantage. Some said that moving away from the original Broadcom SOC would cost them these advantages. But they have a huge community, I'm sure they can work things out...
It's still using VideoCore so there's that.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:14 pm

I wonder, apart from pis, are other boards using the Broadcom SOC?

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 pm

The PI4 looks good on paper, but does not seem to live up to expectations in the real world:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/06/24 ... ni-review/

It also remains to be seen whether it can actually do 4k@60 video decoding, or if memory bandwidth prevents that as happens with Rock64 (RK3328).

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:22 pm

crashoverride wrote:The PI4 looks good on paper, but does not seem to live up to expectations in the real world:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/06/24 ... ni-review/

It also remains to be seen whether it can actually do 4k@60 video decoding, or if memory bandwidth prevents that as happens with Rock64 (RK3328).
4K video decoding is working in Kodi. The CPU is a bit faster than the C2 at a comparable price for the 2GB model, this adds Dual band AC wireless (still SDIO connected) and Bluetooth 5.0. Which doesn't matter to me but it's a nice include.

The VideoCore VI is the wildcard here, what is this DSP capabilities I wonder?

Here is a nice PDF with more information than I've seen listed elsewhere (The N2 and H2 are mentioned)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1560/ ... 4.pdf?2142

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:31 pm

rooted wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:22 pm
The VideoCore VI is the wildcard here, what is this DSP capabilities I wonder?
Yeah, it's hidden how many cores the GPU has, also they write OpenGL ES 3.0, why not 3.1 or 3.2 ?

But all in all the specs are spectacular, they really learned from the past it seems, and look at the bundles they sell !! NAS Storage Set, Desktop Set ->
2019-06-25 (2).png
2019-06-25 (2).png (87.76 KiB) Viewed 2272 times

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:42 pm

So much for RPi is for "Educational Purpose" ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm

meveric wrote:So much for RPi is for "Educational Purpose" ;)
I know you aren't insinuating the Pi Foundation is trying to make money Image

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 pm

rooted wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm
I know you aren't insinuating the Pi Foundation is trying to make money Image
They don't make money.. they are a charity foundation, they are not allowed to "make money".
Everything has to be accounted for and put into new projects, like teaching kids at school or pay developers and such (at least on paper) ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 am

Yeah I would like to see how much money Eben Upton hasn't made.

elatllat

Unread post by elatllat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:25 am

Eben did a good job kick starting the SBC market (get should take what he can get), and I blame the government for junk laws not the people who partake in tax optimization strategies.
The only 2 things that irritate me about Eben is the looog wait for USB3 (win for HK though), and the never ending unanswered topic list on the forums without encouraging stackexchange use.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:10 am

elatllat wrote:Eben did a good job kick starting the SBC market
The first Odroid came out in 2009, the raspberry pi came out in 2012.

I would argue Hardkernel were first to kickstarting the SBC market. Pi Foundation was simply more successful, while Hardkernel continued to innovate and build boards that were lesser known but with a larger technological advantage.

Look at the comparison.

Odroid U2 - 2012
Raspberry Pi - 2012
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
tobetter (Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:11 am)

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2

Unread post by cdu13a » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:23 am

rooted wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:10 am
elatllat wrote:Eben did a good job kick starting the SBC market
The first Odroid came out in 2009, the raspberry pi came out in 2012.

I would argue Hardkernel were first to kickstarting the SBC market. Pi Foundation was simply more successful, while Hardkernel continued to innovate and build boards that were lesser known but with a larger technological advantage.

Look at the comparison.

Odroid U2 - 2012
Raspberry Pi - 2012
@rooted you beat me to it. :) The Raspberry Pi had the better story (for getting attention in western countries.) Hardkernel had the better board. :)

elatllat

Unread post by elatllat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 am

Yah that's what I mean, the rpi was a "kick" and the odroid was a slow "role". We know Odroid has nicer hardware but rpi had the marketing.
The same story for tesla/watt, ibm/jobs, etc etc
These users thanked the author elatllat for the post:
rooted (Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am)

BillyFuhrman
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by BillyFuhrman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:08 pm

So sad, but true. A charisma always wins, not a intelligence.

elatllat

Unread post by elatllat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 am

AreaScout wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:31 pm
...the specs are spectacular...
viewtopic.php?f=149&t=30103
- FDE speed is ~1/10th of the N2,
- 32b OS,
- no heat sink
killed my interest in the PI-4.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 am

And I'm just sat here rocking my pi4 because the N2 costs too much. lol
Plus, no one can beat the software experience that Raspberrypi give users; fact.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:And I'm just sat here rocking my pi4 because the N2 costs too much. lol
Plus, no one can beat the software experience that Raspberrypi give users; fact.
The software on the Pi 4 is a mess right now.

phaseshifter
C1+,,C-2,,,

Unread post by phaseshifter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi @rooted i see you have some form time is that as good sign,i hope so.....,peace out to your tribe...etc..etc..
rooted (Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:06 am)

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:49 pm

rooted wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:00 am
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:And I'm just sat here rocking my pi4 because the N2 costs too much. lol
A bit like the N2; some would say.
At least hardware acceleration is working! ;)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:10 pm

rooted wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 am
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.
Uhm, what?
Hardware acceleration is working just fine with Chromium...
Maybe you haven't "apt update -y" or grabbed the new .ISO....

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:46 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.
Uhm, what?
I don't have a Pi 4, they were all sold out. I'm only able to go by what I read, it's good to know they fixed the acceleration.

Can you play 4K YouTube videos in Chromium?

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 am

rooted wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:46 am
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.
Uhm, what?
I don't have a Pi 4, they were all sold out. I'm only able to go by what I read, it's good to know they fixed the acceleration.

Maybe "read" better sources then because they fixed Chromium like a week ago.
No, you can not play 4k YouTube videos with Chromium, the max I'm able to play is 1080p but I can't do that on my C2, anyway.
I didn't buy this Pi 4 for 4k YouTube videos. lol

elatllat

Unread post by elatllat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 am
...Maybe "read" better sources...
One of the problems with the rpi is the community is to big and disorganized.
blog, announcement forum, wiki, github, facebook, twitter, instagram, stackexchange, linkedin, etc;
I don't see mention of that fix in any of those.
Odroid news has also been a bit scattered but at least questions in odroid forums get answered unlike the ~million unanswered topics in the raspberrypi forums.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 pm

elatllat wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 am
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 am
...Maybe "read" better sources...
One of the problems with the rpi is the community is to big and disorganized.
blog, announcement forum, wiki, github, facebook, twitter, instagram, stackexchange, linkedin, etc;
I don't see mention of that fix in any of those.
Odroid news has also been a bit scattered but at least questions in odroid forums get answered unlike the ~million unanswered topics in the raspberrypi forums.
Lmao! typical odroid fan putting in his two pence worth...
If you care to read Rasp's forum you'll see the fix is all over it.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:53 pm

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.
Uhm, what?

No, you can not play 4k YouTube videos with Chromium, the max I'm able to play is 1080p but I can't do that on my C2, anyway.
Who can "read" everything about a device that's been out for two weeks.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 pm

rooted wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:53 pm
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.
Uhm, what?

You can "read" as much as you want. when it's good information like how Chromium was fixed, it's not hard to check their forums. lol

Good day...

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.
Uhm, what?

You can "read" as much as you want. when it's good information like how Chromium was fixed, it's not hard to check their forums. lol

Good day...
Not hard to check huh, 1.4 million posts and 200,000 topics...

You scoffed at my 4K video talk, 95% of people use their Pi's for video.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:09 am

rooted wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
rooted wrote:
Not in a web browser.
Uhm, what?

Good day...
Not hard to check huh, 1.4 million posts and 200,000 topics...

You scoffed at my 4K video talk, 95% of people use their Pi's for video.
Are you not able to search, like the rest of us? it's easily found...
And no, 95% of people don't use their Pi's for video.
The Pi 4 is awesome and will do most things great, running 4k isn't one of them (for youtube videos that is) so yeah.
I know for a fact my Odroid C2 can't handle 4k videos in Chromium so....

Have fun and use your brain. :lol: :mrgreen:

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 am

Have you tried odroid.c2.video.helper?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:21 am

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 am
That's technically not "in Chromium"

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm

We weren't talking about the C2, we were talking about the N2.

You are comparing a 3.5 year old device with the Pi 4.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:22 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 am
That has nothing to do with Chromium playing 4k videos. lol

Return to “General Topics”