Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Post Reply
on2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 10:05 am
languages_spoken: deutsch, english
ODROIDs: n2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Unread post by on2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 am

Seems like qt applications can run directly in framebuffer.
I compiled mixxx within the ubuntu desktop image and obviously it runs not to well within X.
I searched the Internet for qt framebuffer foo and found this line:

Code: Select all

sudo ./app -platform linuxfb:fb=/dev/fb1
Just go for it, I thought, and yes, typing (in tty1, leave X with Ctrl+Alt+F1, back to X with Ctrl+Alt+F7)

Code: Select all

sudo mixxx -platform linuxfb:fb=/dev/fb0
brings up mixxx 8-), with a mouse, only some font issue (very large), and no gles for now, after a quick 1min test.

I thought this might be interesting for some users, so we might want to gather things in this thread?
Maybe one can even run LXQT?

For me, the next step will be to have running an image with some gles fb driver, any hint?

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 32363
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 325 times
Contact:

Re: Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Unread post by odroid » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am

We've not tried any Qt development on the framebuffer.
I think you have to build the Qt5 library to fully utilize the framebuffer and mali-fbdev OpenGL-ES2/EGL.

Start with our minimal Ubuntu image and run "glmark2-es2-fbdev" to check the GPU functionality.
If it works, you might need to build the Qt5 base library with FB/EGL options probably.
I hope other experienced people can help you.

BTW, refer to this thread. viewtopic.php?f=95&t=31070
I had an experience of building the Qt5 library for x11 Mali GPU acceleration for the XU4 board.
But the N2 GPU doesn't support X11. N2 GPU Mali-G52 supports only fbdev and wayland due to bad ARM's policy.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
on2 (Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 am)

thomas-teknique
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N2
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Unread post by thomas-teknique » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm

I don't think you can have the cursor working on the framebuffer, so you might have problems there...

on2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 10:05 am
languages_spoken: deutsch, english
ODROIDs: n2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Unread post by on2 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm

thomas-teknique wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't think you can have the cursor working on the framebuffer, so you might have problems there...
on2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 am
brings up mixxx 8-), with a mouse,
you speaking of mouse cursor? it is there right away with no problem what so ever.

miskol
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 am
languages_spoken: english,slovak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Unread post by miskol » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm

on2 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm
thomas-teknique wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't think you can have the cursor working on the framebuffer, so you might have problems there...
on2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 am
brings up mixxx 8-), with a mouse,
you speaking of mouse cursor? it is there right away with no problem what so ever.
it is working fine with "mainline" kernel with wayland userspace drivers
You can run qt app with eglfs-wayland
all full screen and working
These users thanked the author miskol for the post:
on2 (Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:42 pm)

on2
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 10:05 am
languages_spoken: deutsch, english
ODROIDs: n2
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Unread post by on2 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:24 pm

miskol wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm
on2 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm
thomas-teknique wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't think you can have the cursor working on the framebuffer, so you might have problems there...
on2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 am
brings up mixxx 8-), with a mouse,
you speaking of mouse cursor? it is there right away with no problem what so ever.
it is working fine with "mainline" kernel with wayland userspace drivers
You can run qt app with eglfs-wayland
all full screen and working
this sounds very nice, thank you, but i am sorry, i do not really understand how to do that. maybe i manage to compile the kernel now, since i already did that for midi support, although it was 4.9.x. (does the minimal image support 5.2.x kernel without changes?) but i do not even know what wayland userspace drivers refers to? is it a package in a repository? or is it some source code package, with selected patches from forum applied, before compiling? i understand what wayland is and may also get it running on my own, but where do i get this driver from?

miskol
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 am
languages_spoken: english,slovak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Running qt applications directly in framebuffer

Unread post by miskol » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm

on2 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:24 pm
miskol wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm
on2 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm
thomas-teknique wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't think you can have the cursor working on the framebuffer, so you might have problems there...
on2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 am
brings up mixxx 8-), with a mouse,
you speaking of mouse cursor? it is there right away with no problem what so ever.
it is working fine with "mainline" kernel with wayland userspace drivers
You can run qt app with eglfs-wayland
all full screen and working
this sounds very nice, thank you, but i am sorry, i do not really understand how to do that. maybe i manage to compile the kernel now, since i already did that for midi support, although it was 4.9.x. (does the minimal image support 5.2.x kernel without changes?) but i do not even know what wayland userspace drivers refers to? is it a package in a repository? or is it some source code package, with selected patches from forum applied, before compiling? i understand what wayland is and may also get it running on my own, but where do i get this driver from?
it looks like hardkernel amlogic 4.9 added DRM support
so it should work just fine
viewtopic.php?f=177&t=35255

Post Reply

Return to “General Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest