Project Suggestions

ockhams
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 1*U2, 1*U3, Odroid-Vu, Odroid -Show, U3 IO Shield, USB IO Board
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Project Suggestions

Unread post by ockhams » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:15 pm

I know this thread is a bit old but better late than never. How about a port of Tiny basic found at https://github.com/BleuLlama/TinyBasicP ... yBasicPlus. Could be accessed by wifi and putty I think
Cheers
Ockhams Barber

pmprog
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO

Unread post by pmprog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Would it be possible to create a project (or even add to the Springboard fw) to expose the SD card as mass storage through the USB port? I don't know if the ESP32 is stuck with serial only over USB, but it would be pretty neat if it could be used as a card reader so we didn't have to keep popping the card out

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:35 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 pm
The ESP32 does not have USB support like other micro controllers do. An on-board USB-to-serial chip is used to connect to the ESP32 UART the same as a console cable would connect to any other Odroid device. Therefore, the USB port is limited to serial port communication, firmware flashing, and device charging.

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm

pmprog wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 pm
Would it be possible to create a project (or even add to the Springboard fw) to expose the SD card as mass storage through the USB port? I don't know if the ESP32 is stuck with serial only over USB, but it would be pretty neat if it could be used as a card reader so we didn't have to keep popping the card out
You could run a Webserver where you can upload files to the SD-Card.
Could do it when I have some time.

pmprog

Unread post by pmprog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:46 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:35 pm
crashoverride wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 pm
The ESP32 does not have USB support like other micro controllers do. An on-board USB-to-serial chip is used to connect to the ESP32 UART the same as a console cable would connect to any other Odroid device. Therefore, the USB port is limited to serial port communication, firmware flashing, and device charging.
Ah yes, thanks and sorry, I remember reading that a while ago - then forgot when I posted this

I was thinking of ways to speed to testing code; as at the minute, I've got the GO connected to my desktop via USB and PuTTY for debug information. So I compile and copy from the desktop onto the SD card, stick it in the GO, boot-menu, flash it, switch it off, take the card back out and put it back in the desktop for the next build/test.

I can't believe I've only just thought that maybe I should just be flashing over the USB whilst I've got it hooked up, then test with the .FW file later when things are settled.
ripper121 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm
You could run a Webserver where you can upload files to the SD-Card.
Could do it when I have some time.
I wouldn't do it on my account - see above (I think I've just been making much more work for myself than necessary)

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:22 pm

pmprog wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:46 pm
I was thinking of ways to speed to testing code; as at the minute, I've got the GO connected to my desktop via USB and PuTTY for debug information. So I compile and copy from the desktop onto the SD card, stick it in the GO, boot-menu, flash it, switch it off, take the card back out and put it back in the desktop for the next build/test.
For the emulators, i do a normal "make" and then use the "flashapp.sh" script to upload it via USB. Once everything is tested and working, I then make a ".fw" for flashing and testing.

For regular esp-idf projects, I erase the entire flash. I then use "make flash" to upload it via USB. After everything is working, then I package it in a ".fw" and reflash odroid-go-firmware. Having more than one ODROID-GO streamlines this.

pmprog

Unread post by pmprog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:08 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:22 pm
For the emulators, i do a normal "make" and then use the "flashapp.sh" script to upload it via USB. Once everything is tested and working, I then make a ".fw" for flashing and testing.

For regular esp-idf projects, I erase the entire flash. I then use "make flash" to upload it via USB. After everything is working, then I package it in a ".fw" and reflash odroid-go-firmware. Having more than one ODROID-GO streamlines this.
Ah, thanks for these... although, I'm not sure what you mean by "regular esp-idf projects" vs "emulators". I'm guessing my "go-test" repo would be considered like an emulator?
Cheers

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:53 pm

pmprog wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:08 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by "regular esp-idf projects" vs "emulators".
The "emulators" are actually four (4) different programs: menu, nes, gbc, and sms/coleco. This is the reason they require special consideration (flashing to a specific location).

A "regular esp-idf project" is anything that is just a single program. The normal development cycle of "make", "make flash", and "make monitor" is used.

pmprog

Unread post by pmprog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:21 pm

crashoverride wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:53 pm
The "emulators" are actually four (4) different programs: menu, nes, gbc, and sms/coleco. This is the reason they require special consideration (flashing to a specific location).

A "regular esp-idf project" is anything that is just a single program. The normal development cycle of "make", "make flash", and "make monitor" is used.
Ah, right, I see, so the "emulators" one leaves all the others in place so you don't need to reflash the springboard etc. Thanks

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:30 am

Odroid Go Wifi to Serial bridge
There you go: viewtopic.php?f=162&t=34947
These users thanked the author ripper121 for the post:
mad_ady (Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 am)

Return to “Projects”