Some questions with the Odroid N2

Post Reply
xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Sat May 11, 2019 9:40 pm

Good Morning,

I'm thinking about acquiring an Odroid N2 but I have some doubts when it comes to acquiring it. I want to create a server although at first I will have it as a multimedia center when I install Android, the problem is that I have the following questions:

- Can you boot and start from USB 3.0? The USB 3.0 of the Odroid is faster than the eMMC itself (also much cheaper) and I do not know if this would be possible, I saw that it would be possible but I did not find any information on how to do it.

- Would it be possible to put WIFI ?, I plan to buy the Wifi Module 3 that is plenty for me.

- Can you do overclock (I say it because I see it in the boot.ini file if possible?

- What temperatures do you take ?.

- What is Petitboot?

I hope there are not many questions, thanks :)

elatllat
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 27 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by elatllat » Sat May 11, 2019 10:18 pm

boot and start from USB 3.0?
Yes via spi, sdcard, or eemc. (all computers bootstrap from some type of flash before USB boot)
WIFI ?, Module 3
Yes I assume
Can you do overclock
Yes but not practically (it won't be stable)
What temperatures do you take ?.
Don't know 10-40?
What is Petitboot?
SPI flash bootstrap of OS on USB 3
These users thanked the author elatllat for the post:
xXFranciscoXx (Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 am)

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 6365
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat May 11, 2019 11:24 pm

I'd recommend wifi module 0, 4 or 5. I had fewer hassles with them in the past than with wifi 3. But then again I was doing access points or wifi snooping/injection with them...
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
xXFranciscoXx (Sun May 12, 2019 12:08 am)

xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 am

elatllat wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:18 pm
boot and start from USB 3.0?
Yes via spi, sdcard, or eemc. (all computers bootstrap from some type of flash before USB boot)
WIFI ?, Module 3
Yes I assume
Can you do overclock
Yes but not practically (it won't be stable)
What temperatures do you take ?.
Don't know 10-40?
What is Petitboot?
SPI flash bootstrap of OS on USB 3
Thanks!

Is it better to boot from USB 3.0 or from eMMC?

Is there an odroid wiki where explain how this is done?

I'm interested in all this starting from USB 3.0 because the speed is much higher (in theory, in practice I do not know).

xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Sun May 12, 2019 12:08 am

mad_ady wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:24 pm
I'd recommend wifi module 0, 4 or 5. I had fewer hassles with them in the past than with wifi 3. But then again I was doing access points or wifi snooping/injection with them...
Thanks for telling me, I'll keep it in mind !!

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 6365
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun May 12, 2019 2:21 am

Here are some instructions you can use to move an sd/emmc to usb ssd: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... _webserver

But if starting with a blank ssd you can write to it directly with etcher and use spi/petitboot. Note that petitboot is a work in progress and currently it needs user input to boot. But booting from ssd works.

Regarding performance - all usb3 ports share the same hub so the more devices you attach, the slower they'll be. Combining keyboard/mouse/wifi with disks on usb3 seems to cause issues for some, but seem to be ok if using usb-otg for usb2 devices.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
xXFranciscoXx (Sun May 12, 2019 3:03 am)

xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Sun May 12, 2019 3:03 am

mad_ady wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:21 am
Here are some instructions you can use to move an sd/emmc to usb ssd: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... _webserver

But if starting with a blank ssd you can write to it directly with etcher and use spi/petitboot. Note that petitboot is a work in progress and currently it needs user input to boot. But booting from ssd works.

Regarding performance - all usb3 ports share the same hub so the more devices you attach, the slower they'll be. Combining keyboard/mouse/wifi with disks on usb3 seems to cause issues for some, but seem to be ok if using usb-otg for usb2 devices.
Thank you! I will learn more about Petitboot.

That would be my idea, writing it with Etcher on a blank SSD. What I need is to learn more about Petitboot because it's the first time I hear it then I'm baffled.

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 6365
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun May 12, 2019 3:41 am

For regular use there's nothing to learn. Flip the switch, plug the hdd, apply power and select the disk from the on-screen auto menu. Nothing to configure.

xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Sun May 12, 2019 3:48 am

mad_ady wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:41 am
For regular use there's nothing to learn. Flip the switch, plug the hdd, apply power and select the disk from the on-screen auto menu. Nothing to configure.
Okay thank you very much!!

As soon as I have the Odroid N2 I will try to do it.

xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 pm

Hello, one more question that has come to mind.

- Currently the Android version is 32 bits and it is expected that the future is 64 bit. My question is, in Android How do I see from the Play Store what applications is 32 or 64 bits ?. I want to install some applications specifically for use and I do not want to see that the Odroid is not compatible because that application is 64 bits.

- Could you have root on Android?

Thanks

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3766
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by tobetter » Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 am

xXFranciscoXx wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 pm
Hello, one more question that has come to mind.

- Currently the Android version is 32 bits and it is expected that the future is 64 bit. My question is, in Android How do I see from the Play Store what applications is 32 or 64 bits ?. I want to install some applications specifically for use and I do not want to see that the Odroid is not compatible because that application is 64 bits.

- Could you have root on Android?

Thanks
I believe you are not able to see which app is 32 bit or 64 bit, the Play Store installs the application package and Android package manager and runtime library will manage the 32/64 bit libraries comes with .apk. I am not sure if there is a pure 64-bit app not supporting any other platform, the most app would be based on JAVA which is not dependent on architecture.

For rooting on ODROID-N2, please refer the link
viewtopic.php?f=178&t=34063
These users thanked the author tobetter for the post:
xXFranciscoXx (Sun May 19, 2019 4:36 am)

xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Sun May 19, 2019 4:38 am

I believe you are not able to see which app is 32 bit or 64 bit, the Play Store installs the application package and Android package manager and runtime library will manage the 32/64 bit libraries comes with .apk. I am not sure if there is a pure 64-bit app not supporting any other platform, the most app would be based on JAVA which is not dependent on architecture.

For rooting on ODROID-N2, please refer the link
viewtopic.php?f=178&t=34063

Thank you all for the answers! I've encouraged myself and I'm going to buy the Odroid.

I have been looking at the Hardkernel page but I have not seen which tip (plug) uses the power supply to buy one. I know it's 12V / 2A because of what I saw.

Thank you

User avatar
meveric
Posts: 10389
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 117 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun May 19, 2019 5:56 am

xXFranciscoXx wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:38 am
I have been looking at the Hardkernel page but I have not seen which tip (plug) uses the power supply to buy one. I know it's 12V / 2A because of what I saw.

Thank you
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... gbyte-ram/

scroll down to the accessories and you'll find your answer.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

xXFranciscoXx
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 pm
languages_spoken: english,spanish
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by xXFranciscoXx » Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 am

meveric wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:56 am
xXFranciscoXx wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:38 am
I have been looking at the Hardkernel page but I have not seen which tip (plug) uses the power supply to buy one. I know it's 12V / 2A because of what I saw.

Thank you
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid- ... gbyte-ram/

scroll down to the accessories and you'll find your answer.
Okay, I already saw it! I can make it work also by Micro USB like the mobiles, right?

User avatar
meveric
Posts: 10389
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 117 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun May 19, 2019 6:17 am

nope, this only works with the C2 and C1 (after modification).

The N2 has a 12V 2A = 24W power adapter
normaly mobile charger have 5V 2A = 10W (already considered quick charge) newer models have 5V 4A
and some new USB-C devices have newer versions of quick charge which can go as high as 20V but are normally designed for 9V 2A = 18W.
And the N2 doesn't even have USB C, so you're stuck with 5V which is not enough to power the N2.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

kaladude
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 12:21 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: N-2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by kaladude » Mon May 20, 2019 6:06 pm

Aloha ! I have an N2 and also a wifi module 4. I can't get the wifi module to function. The sales webpage for it says: "No driver needed for most systems" and in fact I was able to get it to work with my Jetson Nano just fine. I installed the mate OS and it works fine with a network cable plugged in. I'm not a total noobie with Linux but far from being an expert. What do I need to do to make the wifi module function? TIA

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 31765
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:

Re: Some questions with the Odroid N2

Unread post by odroid » Mon May 20, 2019 6:24 pm

@kaladude,
Please don't hijack.
Open a new topic and we will help you.

Post Reply

Return to “General Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests