[OS] Debian Stretch for ODROID N2

ramsy
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: n2
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch for ODROID N2

Unread post by ramsy » Wed May 08, 2019 4:08 am

Hi,

Can someone please guide me how to flash this image to EMMC? I just purchased my first ODROID-N2 board, but I am having some issues finding how-tos.

Thanks in advance.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 4:42 am

Download Etcher: https://www.balena.io/etcher/
Plugin eMMC into your computer (using eMMC adapter)
Use Etcher to flash the image.

If it doesn't work as is, you might have to extract the image first (you can use 7zip to extract the image).
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
ramsy (Wed May 08, 2019 1:19 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

ramsy

Unread post by ramsy » Wed May 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks. I did that and did not need to extract the image first, as Etcher did not complain. After that I plugged the eMMC back in to the Odroid and booted, with the nano switch set to eMMC and connected the HDMI cable. The screen stayed black though. Am I supposed to wait for 15m?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 1:54 pm

it should only take a few a seconds until things show up on the screen.
ramsy (Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm

On first boot it powers off after rootfs resize. It should display an image on screen of display autodetection works. You can edit boot.ini, disable autodetection and set a supported resolution

ramsy

Unread post by ramsy » Wed May 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks Meveric. After flashing your image, located at https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/St ... -N2.img.xz I got the login screen. No network support though? I plugged in the network cable, but I can't ping the machine.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed May 08, 2019 2:25 pm

You may need to update uboot or set the connection to 100Mbps if you wxperience severe packet loss
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
ramsy (Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 am)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 3:03 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm
On first boot it powers off after rootfs resize.
This does only apply for the Ubuntu Image NOT for the Debian Stretch image!
My image will simply reboot.
mad_ady wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm
It should display an image on screen of display autodetection works. You can edit boot.ini, disable autodetection and set a supported resolution
Autodetection was not part of the image when it was created and only works after the system was update.
So this information is also wrong at the moment, and will only be true after I create a new base image.
ramsy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:20 pm
Thanks Meveric. After flashing your image, located at https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/St ... -N2.img.xz I got the login screen. No network support though? I plugged in the network cable, but I can't ping the machine.
It should have network support, in fact I never had any issues at all not with the old u-boot not with the new one, but some users have issues with network, that it runs unstable depending on the router/switches you have at home.
Still you should get a IP as far as I know, the network would just be rather slow.

You can always check with ip a if your system got an IP or check the output of /var/log/syslog where you should see messages that it tries to contact the DHCP server.

You can also try to manually download the following package: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/pool/n2/u/u-boot/
copy it over on an USB stick and install it with dpkg -i <file-name>
ramsy (Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 am)

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Sorry for spreading misinformation

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Yeah I need to update the image and address some issues with it, like pre-installing u-boot, a couple of firmwares and such.
It will make things easier for new users.
After that the autodetection of the screen will also be included.
But I'm very busy with other tasks at the moment, so I wasn't able to work on the new image.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun May 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Update:

I've updated the base image and it now includes the latest u-boot available at this moment from HardKernel which should fix the network issue for those who start with a fresh image.
The Image was updated to the latest available packages as well including Kernel 4.9.177 from HardKernel.
Additionally the following packages are now installed as well:

Code: Select all

firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-ralink firmware-realtek dbus libexpat1 libpam-systemd
This will allow you to use WLAN modules without having to use LAN first to install drivers, as well as libpam-systemd will disconnect ssh sessions if you do an reboot or shutdown of the system.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 3):
ramsy (Mon May 20, 2019 12:02 am) • BadPritt (Mon May 20, 2019 5:42 am) • xabolcs (Tue May 21, 2019 2:43 am)

BadPritt
languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Mon May 20, 2019 5:46 am

meveric wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:58 pm
Update:
I've updated the base image
Great. I'll check it out. Thanks for adding the wifi firmware. Now I don't need to move everything to my router.

xabolcs
ODROIDs: N2

Unread post by xabolcs » Mon May 27, 2019 8:57 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:58 pm
Update:
Additionally the following packages are now installed as well:

firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-ralink firmware-realtek dbus libexpat1 libpam-systemd
This will allow you to use WLAN modules without having to use LAN first to install drivers, as well as libpam-systemd will disconnect ssh sessions if you do an reboot or shutdown of the system.
Thanks for all the new packages! :)

May I ask for console help about connecting to the internet through WLAN modules?
My console wifi-fu (iw, wpa_supplicant, ...) is very weak. :(

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue May 28, 2019 12:49 am

maybe this can help: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#wpa_supplicant

Else under /etc/network/interfaces you can add lines similar to this:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid myssid
    wpa-psk a1b2c3d4e5
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 2):
xabolcs (Tue May 28, 2019 5:00 pm) • ab1jx (Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am)

xabolcs
ODROIDs: N2

Unread post by xabolcs » Wed May 29, 2019 7:42 am

The /etc/network/interfaces method works flawlessly!
Thanks!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks, that's good to hear.. I will link the post above on the initial post :)

leberwurst
languages_spoken: german , bad english
ODROIDs: N2, XU4, C2
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by leberwurst » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:54 am

@meveric
is there a solution for the missing inputstream.adaptive addon in kodi? The one in http://www.deb-multimedia.org does not work because it probably is a RC version.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:48 am

for Kodi 18 you need the one for Debian Buster... I used that on the XU4 and it worked.
Download: http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/main ... _arm64.deb
Extract it with:

dpkg -x kodi-inputstream-adaptive_2.3.18-dmo1_arm64.deb
copy the files to the respective /usr/local/ folder (since Kodi is installed in /usr/local/ rather than /usr) and you should be able to use the plugin.
Only /usr/local/lib/kodi/addons and /usr/local/share/kodi/addons are required for it to work.

andy5macht
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: U3, C2, N2

Unread post by andy5macht » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:08 pm

I wanted to try the Debian Stretch image for testing Fofix on Odroid N2 but i did not get a picture on screen.
I used a 8gb class 10 SD card.
Even after installing Desktop via setup-odroid still no picture. TV always says: no supported mode.
Boot.ini is default so resoultion and mode is set to 1080p60hz and hdmi mode.
What can i do/try to get Debian working?
Btw.: CoreELEC words on emmc out of the box.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Hmm hard to tell... Have you tried changing the setting on the boot.ini to try other resolutions?
By default should use autodetection EDID mode.
Maybe forcing a resolution instead may help?
Try re-installing u-boot package as well.
andy5macht (Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:20 pm)

andy5macht

Unread post by andy5macht » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:48 pm

what i did:
- power off
- emmc module with coreelec on it is connected to Odroid N2
- i put in SD-Card with Debian
- set boot-switch to SPI
- power on => wanted to boot via boot-menu to debian instead of coreelec => no screen (no supported mode) waited a couple of minutes. nothing changed
- power off
- removed emmc module
- set boot-switch to emmc
- power on => no screen (no supported mode) waited a couple of minutes. nothing changed
- connect via SSH and installed GUI and modified boot.ini via SSH and i tried these resolutions: 1080p60 (default) / 1080i60 / 1080p50 / 1080i50

how to force resolution instead to use EDID?

i will do a fresh installation without the SPI boot-switch confusion - maybe this caused the issue...

leberwurst
languages_spoken: german , bad english
ODROIDs: N2, XU4, C2

Unread post by leberwurst » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 am

somehow it worked, I had to delete the home / .kodi folder and then it shows up in addonbrowser. Ironically, I had to turn off the inputstream-adaptive for the addon in that required it.
It seem N2 dont like, Usb switches and dac?
anyhow thankyou for quick help

andy5macht

Unread post by andy5macht » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:20 am

it works now. i had to modify this line ( too bad i didnt see this line on first attempt. Am I blind or dumb -.- )

setenv display_autodetect "false"
two things i need for a fully working fofix-station: :mrgreen:
1. analog audio: does it work on your image and i am missing something? (It is no wiring/connection issue as it is working on CoreELEC)
2. i need to rotate screen upside down. on GUI i can´t change rotation.
maybe this works? https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... tch/424947

@meveric could you help me with these two points?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:01 am

for 2.
create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "fbdev"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "fbdev"         "/dev/fb0"
        Option          "rotate"        "CW"
EndSection
for sound I don't know.. it's not listed on the audio devices, maybe hardkernel can help and explain how to tab into it.

andy5macht

Unread post by andy5macht » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:36 am

as always: it works!
now only the sound issue is left.
would be nice i hardkernel or others can help. on HK´s Ubuntu i can choose the output but not on your debian image... :?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:42 am

I just tried "Performous" a Karaoke game on the N2.. that one was scaring the crap out of me as my boxes suddenly started to blast full volume as it was using the analog output.

I could force using the correct card with aplay:

aplay -D plughw:CARD=AMLAUGESOUND,DEV=1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav 
or

aplay -D plughw:0,1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
I then edited /etc/pulse/default.pa and added the following lines at the beginning:

### Load analog device
load-module module-alsa-sink device="hw:0,0" sink_name=hdmi_output
load-module module-alsa-sink device="hw:0,1" sink_name=analog_output
load-module module-combine sink_name=hdmi_analog slaves=hdmi_output,analog_output
It WILL output on Analog, but for some odd reason it will no longer output on the HDMI :(

If I only do:

it WILL output on HDMI
If I only do:

It will only output on Analog.

But the moment I do:

I got listed both but only Analog is working the other is not, therefore also the combination of both only outputs on Analog.

Edit:
HA! Just found out how! ;)
The order is important here:

### Load analog device
load-module module-combine sink_name=hdmi_analog slaves=hdmi_output,analog_output
Now both are working simultaneously.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post (total 5):
XOR (Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:19 am) • mad_ady (Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:00 pm) • andy5macht (Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 pm) • deuteragenie (Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 am) • ab1jx (Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:03 am)

andy5macht

Unread post by andy5macht » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 pm

meveric wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:42 am
I just tried "Performous" a Karaoke game on the N2.. that one was scaring the crap out of me as my boxes suddenly started to blast full volume as it was using the analog output.
Yey! :D
Thank you so mutch meveric!
We will be heros at the camping site on the festival and you made it possible - YOU are my hero!

deuteragenie

Unread post by deuteragenie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 am

FYI: In performous, you can/choose set the audio device (incl HDMI) from the configure/audio devices menu....
Now we just need a way to make it work with OpenGL ES instead of OpenGL (hopefully a few changes in the code are sufficent) and ensure ffmpeg uses HW accelaration for the videos.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:00 am

deuteragenie wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 am
... and ensure ffmpeg uses HW accelaration for the videos.
ffmpeg hardware acceleration is not supported by AmLogic devices currently (and might never be), so this will most likely not work at all.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:45 pm

If it's using the ffmpeg binary (instead of the library) you could make a wrapper that calls c2play instead. Though it will be fullscreen and probably would cover other screen elements.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:15 pm

It used the library. I don't know a single application that calls ffplay or ffmpeg directly in the background.

deuteragenie

Unread post by deuteragenie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:15 pm
It used the library. I don't know a single application that calls ffplay or ffmpeg directly in the background.
Yes, it uses the libraries. Hopefully some brave soul will port them for G52.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:59 pm

G52 has nothing to do with it.
The G52 is the GPU, but for video the VPU (AML) is used, it's a specific hardware only for video decoding. It has nothing to do with the GPU.

deuteragenie

Unread post by deuteragenie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:31 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:59 pm
G52 has nothing to do with it.
The G52 is the GPU, but for video the VPU (AML) is used, it's a specific hardware only for video decoding. It has nothing to do with the GPU.
Thank you for the correction. I am new to this.

Doesn't the aml-libs-odroid package contain AML-aware libraries? Or are these not working on Odroid N2 ?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:10 pm

It does, but the players need to speciffically use them (they're not implementing any standard apis)

andy5macht

Unread post by andy5macht » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:40 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:01 am
for 2.
create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "fbdev"
        Driver          "fbdev"
        Option          "fbdev"         "/dev/fb0"
        Option          "rotate"        "CW"
EndSection
this works but when I run FoFix with LibGL like you mentioned it in this Thread: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=14242&start=50#p258245 its rotated "normaly" but i need Upsite down :(
can you please help me one more time?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 am

Not sure if I can help you with that.. maybe someone else knows more about this.

ajcard

Unread post by ajcard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am

Option "Rotate" "string"
Enable rotation of the display. The supported values are "CW"
(clockwise, 90 degrees), "UD" (upside down, 180 degrees) and
"CCW" (counter clockwise, 270 degrees). Implies use of the
shadow framebuffer layer. Default: off.
see: man fbdev

have not tested it

andy5macht

Unread post by andy5macht » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 pm

thank you but this is what i did. Option "rotatate" "UD" i found myself in the manual.
the screen is rotated correctly until FoFix started. it is displayed in "normal" mode.
after leaving the game the display is roateted again. so the problem is just in the game.

but btw.: this is no show-stopper for me. i will redo and 3D print the mount for the beamer to rotate the screen upside down the mechanical way. :mrgreen:

michalrgb

Unread post by michalrgb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 pm

meveric wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:00 am
deuteragenie wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 am
... and ensure ffmpeg uses HW accelaration for the videos.
ffmpeg hardware acceleration is not supported by AmLogic devices currently (and might never be), so this will most likely not work at all.
do you think hw accel will be possible via gstreamer?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:34 pm

not right now, but some time in the future it might be..

kardanadm
languages_spoken: Turkish
ODROIDs: ODROID N2

Unread post by kardanadm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:51 am

How to run spotify

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:04 am

have you tried Clementine?
Not sure what else you can do... Maybe Chromium?
kardanadm (Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 am)

kardanadm

Unread post by kardanadm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:11 am

meveric wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:04 am
have you tried Clementine?
Not sure what else you can do... Maybe Chromium?
Thanks for the quick response.
tried chromium, failed.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:13 am

chromium probably needs the widevine extension to work.
Anyway.. have you tried Clementine?

kardanadm

Unread post by kardanadm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:24 am

I installed widevine but failed. chromium-widevine was working on rockpro64. I tried the same thing, but it doesn't work.

Clementine is now installed, but does not login. Waiting for "signing in".

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:38 am

chromium-widevine is now only a dummy package.. installing it does nothing.. you probably have to build the files yourself.

kardanadm

Unread post by kardanadm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:55 am

meveric wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:38 am
chromium-widevine is now only a dummy package.. installing it does nothing.. you probably have to build the files yourself.
I'm a beginner for linux, not something I can do. If you describe how I should do it, I will.

Spotify was not online at Clementine.

thank you again for your help.

nosxxx
languages_spoken: english, germand
ODROIDs: C2

Unread post by nosxxx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:22 am

May you will build a second kernel package with built-in rtc (not loaded as module) driver?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 am

Are we talking N2 or C2, as your profile says C2 and this is the N2 forum.
I didn't know there's anything to do for N2 regarding RTC.

Return to “Other OS”