New N2 user - some initial issues

benwillcox
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+
C2

New N2 user - some initial issues

Unread post by benwillcox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 am

Hi all,

I've been using a C2 for several years as part of my JagDroid project (www.jagdroid.org) as have many others, and have just today received my N2 so started getting everything setup with a view to upgrading to the N2 in my car.
As I expected, there are a few software related issues that need working out (was the same with the C2 back then :-)), so I'll just list some of my findings below which I hope are constructive, sorry if the list is long but I want to capture everything that I've found:

- Odroid Settings App - once in a submenu you can't go back a level, you have to go Home then back into the Odroid Settings
- I'm using an RTD2662 based board at 800x480p60 resolution. In Odroid settings I choose Display, Screen Resolution, Display Mode, I have to turn off 'Support Resolution' to find 800x480p60hz - I then have to reboot to change mode (didn't need to reboot with the C2). The resolution changes, but when I go back to the same menu it shows Display Mode as ODROID-VU5/7. Would be good if it showed the current setting.
- As reported by a couple of other users on the Forum, the Android navigation buttons are all stacked on top of each other on the right hand side of the screen when using this resolution. I can change this in Display, Display Size but the only other option I get is 'Custom (120)' which makes everything too small. On the C2 I could edit build.prop and set the LCD Density property manually - can this be done on the N2 (there is no /build.prop)?
- If I unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable, the screen goes blank. I have to power cycle the N2 to restore the display.
- Some apps force rotation to Portrait mode, even when set to Landscape in Odroid Settings (this was the same in C2). I can install the App ' Rotation Control' from Google Play, but would be better if this was built-in.
- My Wifi doesn't reconnect at boot, using the official Odroid wifi module 0. I have to manually go to wifi and switch on after booting.
- Can the battery icon be removed from the top icon bar?
- I used the F7 - F10 key shortcuts in Odroid Utility on the C2 to launch the Terminal to soft-shutdown via USB keyboard emulation in my car, and also to launch the Navigation App. Could this functionality be added to Odroid Settings please?
- I read the post about installing Supersu which is very complicated - is the N2 not already rooted, or can it be?
- Music app immediately closes when launched with a USB drive plugged in. If launched first then USB stick plugged in, it doesn't find the music files.

These are the main things I found so far, hopefully some of these can be fixed :-)

Many thanks!
Ben
These users thanked the author benwillcox for the post:
Sailor (Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 am)

benwillcox
C2

Re: New N2 user - some initial issues

Unread post by benwillcox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:41 am

Hello me again.
I did some more testing related to the Display Size DPI issue. I rooted my device following the instructions for SuperSu on the forum (thank you) and installed a custom DPI adjusting app. It seems that any DPI above 120 and the icons move to the right side of the screen, but are all stacked on top of each other making them unusable. This is almost the same problem that I had with the C2 back in 2016: viewtopic.php?f=137&t=24294
At that time a patch was incorporated which forced the icons to the bottom irrespective of the DPI setting - I think this is also what we need here!

Also we are suffering from the same ACM device numbering problem as discussed (and solved) here: viewtopic.php?t=27226
The issue being that if an Arduino Leonardo (presumably also any device creating a /dev/ACMx device) is plugged in as well as a GPS device, the ordering of the /dev/ACMx devices is not allocated to the same device each time. The GPS needs to be on /dev/ACM0 to work. Connecting the Arduino shifts the GPS to ACM1 or ACM2 (sometimes I have 2 x Arduino connected).
@tobetter would it be possible to incorporate the same fix here?

Many thanks!
Ben
Sailor (Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:51 am)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

Hi,

Well...what a long request. :) I cannot promise everything what you've asked for are being fix, but many of them would be seriously managed to find out the solution or workarounds. Please understand if we are moving slow or not 100% meet your requirement due to HK's capability and priorities. But, we are listening the requirements anf trying to fix them.

Let me answer your request for today. :)

Code: Select all

Odroid Settings App - once in a submenu you can't go back a level, you have to go Home then back into the Odroid Setting
Isn't possible to back to previous menu with right button of mouse? Do you need any other key combos to perform the same?

I'm using an RTD2662 based board at 800x480p60 resolution. In Odroid settings I choose Display, Screen Resolution, Display Mode, I have to turn off 'Support Resolution' to find 800x480p60hz - I then have to reboot to change mode (didn't need to reboot with the C2). The resolution changes, but when I go back to the same menu it shows Display Mode as ODROID-VU5/7. Would be good if it showed the current setting.
To be honest, we were having a bit of difficulties to manage the display features on ODROID-N2 due to the change of display system from previous Android version, I and my team have always the same problem whenever new Android comes. As of now, display resolution cannot be changed without rebooting. Let me talk with a person who manages the ODROID settings for display menu.

As reported by a couple of other users on the Forum, the Android navigation buttons are all stacked on top of each other on the right hand side of the screen when using this resolution. I can change this in Display, Display Size but the only other option I get is 'Custom (120)' which makes everything too small. On the C2 I could edit build.prop and set the LCD Density property manually - can this be done on the N2 (there is no /build.prop)?
My understanding is correct you want to change the DPI with the figure which you like to set. Obviously, there is build.prop in the current Android but it's in boot partition which cannot be easily accessible by ordinary users. Let me have a discussion internally which option is better, 1) changing the root file system accessible by the user or 2) change the display setting to have more DPIs.

If I unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable, the screen goes blank. I have to power cycle the N2 to restore the display.
This is the known issue and manage in a higer priority than others. Hope to be fixed in the release this week.

Some apps force rotation to Portrait mode, even when set to Landscape in Odroid Settings (this was the same in C2). I can install the App ' Rotation Control' from Google Play, but would be better if this was built-in.
Basically, I am a bit hesitate to include the app packages since that would let us to contact the app developer or supporting the bugs which we cannot manage. Maybe I am a bit overthinking... :)

My Wifi doesn't reconnect at boot, using the official Odroid wifi module 0. I have to manually go to wifi and switch on after booting.
Wifi module #0, good to know if there is user of it. Let me check with @codewalker.

Can the battery icon be removed from the top icon bar?
Technically yes, I am putting UX customization to lower priority since it could let uses ask to change other UX as well. I am a bit weak to manage the details. ;)

- I used the F7 - F10 key shortcuts in Odroid Utility on the C2 to launch the Terminal to soft-shutdown via USB keyboard emulation in my car, and also to launch the Navigation App. Could this functionality be added to Odroid Settings please?
It sounds like customizable shortcut funtions. Since there are some or many users to use ODROID as a car PC, these requirements are been asked. Probably, map a key to launch a cetain app or perform an action would be possible, just I am a bit hesitate to implement the UX. But let me discuss with my team and let one of them hand up and let you know.

- I read the post about installing Supersu which is very complicated - is the N2 not already rooted, or can it be?
Earlier we pushed SuperSu by default in the former Android platform, but seems there is no for Pie yet. @joerg had guided to use Magsik to root and @codewalker had tested it. I and @codewalker are looking into it if we can make ODROID be rooted by default. Not yet decided, but will let you know. Since there are many users want the rooted device, we are looking into seriously.

Music app immediately closes when launched with a USB drive plugged in. If launched first then USB stick plugged in, it doesn't find the music files.
Well, sounds annoying for the car PC. Let us think about it if we can fix it.

Also we are suffering from the same ACM device numbering problem as discussed (and solved) here: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=27226
The issue being that if an Arduino Leonardo (presumably also any device creating a /dev/ACMx device) is plugged in as well as a GPS device, the ordering of the /dev/ACMx devices is not allocated to the same device each time. The GPS needs to be on /dev/ACM0 to work. Connecting the Arduino shifts the GPS to ACM1 or ACM2 (sometimes I have 2 x Arduino connected).
I do remember the patch which arrange the device numbers for USB-serial devices. The device node number is a not always same unless specific rule is defined. Generic Linux system uses udev which manage the device rules, but Android does not have it. The thing what I propose you to use another device node for GPS instead of /dev/ACM0, in which /dev/gps which is mapped with /dev/ACMx. Let me double check if it works on ODROID-N2.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"

These users thanked the author tobetter for the post (total 2):
Sailor (Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:02 pm) • qcasey1 (Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 am)

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:55 pm

tobetter wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am
Hi,

Well...what a long request. :) I cannot promise everything what you've asked for are being fix, but many of them would be seriously managed to find out the solution or workarounds. Please understand if we are moving slow or not 100% meet your requirement due to HK's capability and priorities. But, we are listening the requirements anf trying to fix them.
Thanks for the quick response! Lots of the issues in fact are not high priority but just 'nice to have', but thought it best to give my feedback for longer term improvements too.

Odroid Settings App - once in a submenu you can't go back a level, you have to go Home then back into the Odroid Setting
Isn't possible to back to previous menu with right button of mouse? Do you need any other key combos to perform the same?
I'm using a touchscreen with no mouse connected, so no right button :-) It just needs a 'Back' icon in the menu.

To be honest, we were having a bit of difficulties to manage the display features on ODROID-N2 due to the change of display system from previous Android version, I and my team have always the same problem whenever new Android comes. As of now, display resolution cannot be changed without rebooting. Let me talk with a person who manages the ODROID settings for display menu.
Thanks, it's not a big problem.

My understanding is correct you want to change the DPI with the figure which you like to set. Obviously, there is build.prop in the current Android but it's in boot partition which cannot be easily accessible by ordinary users. Let me have a discussion internally which option is better, 1) changing the root file system accessible by the user or 2) change the display setting to have more DPIs.
Yes. In fact I managed to change the DPI with a third party app, but the problem mainly is as described here: viewtopic.php?f=178&t=34567
So at DPi settings of 120 or above, all the navigation bar icons are stacked on top of each other on the right side of the screen so are unusable. A similar problem existed on the C2, which got patched to force the navigation icons to always be at the bottom with any DPI settings. To be useful in a car type of application the DPI needs to be around 170, so it's pretty essential to be able to fix this navigation bar problem, even if the DPI is changed by a third party app.

Some apps force rotation to Portrait mode, even when set to Landscape in Odroid Settings (this was the same in C2). I can install the App ' Rotation Control' from Google Play, but would be better if this was built-in.
Basically, I am a bit hesitate to include the app packages since that would let us to contact the app developer or supporting the bugs which we cannot manage. Maybe I am a bit overthinking... :)
OK, low priority as it can be fixed with the external app.

My Wifi doesn't reconnect at boot, using the official Odroid wifi module 0. I have to manually go to wifi and switch on after booting.
Wifi module #0, good to know if there is user of it. Let me check with @codewalker.
Thanks, I realised afterwards that there is an option in the wifi settings to reconnect automatically, but even after switching this on it doesn't.

Can the battery icon be removed from the top icon bar?
Technically yes, I am putting UX customization to lower priority since it could let uses ask to change other UX as well. I am a bit weak to manage the details. ;)
Thanks, agreed it's lower priority

It sounds like customizable shortcut funtions. Since there are some or many users to use ODROID as a car PC, these requirements are been asked. Probably, map a key to launch a cetain app or perform an action would be possible, just I am a bit hesitate to implement the UX. But let me discuss with my team and let one of them hand up and let you know.
That would be great thank you, just simply a keyboard shortcut to launch an app would be fine.

Earlier we pushed SuperSu by default in the former Android platform, but seems there is no for Pie yet. @joerg had guided to use Magsik to root and @codewalker had tested it. I and @codewalker are looking into it if we can make ODROID be rooted by default. Not yet decided, but will let you know. Since there are many users want the rooted device, we are looking into seriously.
Ok thanks. In fact after I read the documentation again it was quite easy to root, but of course most people will expect it already to be rooted like the C2.

Music app immediately closes when launched with a USB drive plugged in. If launched first then USB stick plugged in, it doesn't find the music files.
Well, sounds annoying for the car PC. Let us think about it if we can fix it.
Thanks!

Also we are suffering from the same ACM device numbering problem as discussed (and solved) here: viewtopic.php?t=27226
I do remember the patch which arrange the device numbers for USB-serial devices. The device node number is a not always same unless specific rule is defined. Generic Linux system uses udev which manage the device rules, but Android does not have it. The thing what I propose you to use another device node for GPS instead of /dev/ACM0, in which /dev/gps which is mapped with /dev/ACMx. Let me double check if it works on ODROID-N2.
Thanks that would be great.

"Tapatalk wishes you to have fun with ODROID"
I am having fun with ODROID!

Regards,
Ben

codewalker
ODROIDs: all

Unread post by codewalker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 pm

- My Wifi doesn't reconnect at boot, using the official Odroid wifi module 0. I have to manually go to wifi and switch on after booting.
Hi, benwillcox

If you have OTG cable, Please connect Wifi module 0 to usb device port.

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:48 am

codewalker wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 pm
If you have OTG cable, Please connect Wifi module 0 to usb device port.
Thanks, yes it seems to work correctly when in the OTG port.

I did some more testing, when in the normal USB port with no other USB device connected it starts up ok. If I have my touchscreen connected at the same time it causes the wifi not to auto-start.
Here is the ID of the touch device:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0416:5020

Hopefully it can be fixed!

Thanks,
Ben

codewalker

Unread post by codewalker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

- Some apps force rotation to Portrait mode, even when set to Landscape in Odroid Settings (this was the same in C2). I can install the App ' Rotation Control' from Google Play, but would be better if this was built-in.
Edit persist.sys.app.rotation in /vendor/builld.prop.
persist.sys.app.rotation=middle_port -> force_land

codewalker

Unread post by codewalker » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:00 pm

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to ... -0186364/

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:06 am

codewalker wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm
I don't seem to be able to get permission to edit the file, even though I've rooted the device using the instructions.
If I use sshdroid and ssh to the N2 I log in as root but have no permission to even view the file. su doesn't work.
If I use adb then I can open the file but vi tells me the file is read-only, even though I'm root and have rw permission on the file according to ls.
Thanks but following the instructions I don't get the option to edit status bar settings. Its not a big problem, maybe something changed since that article was published.

Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:18 am

benwillcox wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:06 am
Thanks but following the instructions I don't get the option to edit status bar settings. Its not a big problem, maybe something changed since that article was published.
I found this app instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... id.uituner which has what I need. It also allows you to switch the Navigation bar to Compact mode which removes the volume, screenshot and power icon which is perfect for a Car!

Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:21 am

I noticed an update was available in Odroid Settings, so tried to apply the online update. The update downloaded but after it installed it was still the same 20190404 image installed.
So I tried downloading the 20190418 manually then using 'From downloaded package' option - Odroid Settings just crashes on choosing the update package.

I then decided to download the full self-install image of the 20190418 and flashed my eMMC to start again. So now I'm on the latest version however when trying to install the opengapps package following the documentation on the Forum, when the system reboots it goes to the Android Recovery menu and just says Error! Installation aborted.

Ben

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:28 am

benwillcox wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:21 am
I noticed an update was available in Odroid Settings, so tried to apply the online update. The update downloaded but after it installed it was still the same 20190404 image installed.
So I tried downloading the 20190418 manually then using 'From downloaded package' option - Odroid Settings just crashes on choosing the update package.

I then decided to download the full self-install image of the 20190418 and flashed my eMMC to start again. So now I'm on the latest version however when trying to install the opengapps package following the documentation on the Forum, when the system reboots it goes to the Android Recovery menu and just says Error! Installation aborted.

Ben
Did you install 32 bit GAPPS package or 64 bit one? You must install 32 bit only ATM.

qcasey1
ODROIDs: XU4, N2
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by qcasey1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 am

The update through the ODROID settings worked fine on my N2, although I've left it mostly stock since flashing originally. Shows 20190418

I'm also using this for a car install, hopefully going to replace a Nexus 7. Seems like a very promising device!

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:57 am

qcasey1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 am
The update through the ODROID settings worked fine on my N2, although I've left it mostly stock since flashing originally. Shows 20190418

I'm also using this for a car install, hopefully going to replace a Nexus 7. Seems like a very promising device!
Thank you, we are looking forward to seeing how ODROID-N2 is driving with you.

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:41 pm

tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:28 am
Did you install 32 bit GAPPS package or 64 bit one? You must install 32 bit only ATM.
Yes it was the exact same package I used on 20190404. It doesn't install on 20190418.

I got around the problem by re-flashing with 20190404 then installed opengapps again (it worked this time, the exact same zip file from a USB stick copied to the local storage).
I used Odroid Settings to perform the online update, this time it did actually update with the 20190418 package.

Now it works.

Ben

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:51 pm

benwillcox wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:41 pm
tobetter wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:28 am
Yes it was the exact same package I used on 20190404. It doesn't install on 20190418.

I got around the problem by re-flashing with 20190404 then installed opengapps again (it worked this time, the exact same zip file from a USB stick copied to the local storage).
I used Odroid Settings to perform the online update, this time it did actually update with the 20190418 package.

Now it works.

Ben
Cool, good to work...but not sure why it wasn't...hmmm...

Luke.go

Unread post by Luke.go » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 am

benwillcox wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 am
@benwillcox, This feature will be applied on the next release.

Edit: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... ew_updates
These users thanked the author Luke.go for the post:
benwillcox (Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 pm)

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 pm

Luke.go wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 am

@benwillcox, This feature will be applied on the next release.

Edit: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_im ... ew_updates
Thank you for your fast response!

I tried to update through Odroid Settings, but I had the same problem as the last update - it shows an update is available, downloads then I reboot, it appears to install a package but then it still remains on the same version. Very strange.
I did a fresh install anyway then with the new version, and thank you the shortcut function works fine.
The fix for the navigation bar seems to work well also. On a related note I discovered that a 'wm density xxx' command is persistent across reboots so it's an easy step to manually set the DPI as required.

I am having problems with the Google Play device registration though. I followed the instructions as I've done previously, and with everything done in exactly the same way it still hasn't registered correctly even though I've left the system for hours overnight. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks,
Ben

tobetter

Unread post by tobetter » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:17 pm

benwillcox wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 pm
I am having problems with the Google Play device registration though. I followed the instructions as I've done previously, and with everything done in exactly the same way it still hasn't registered correctly even though I've left the system for hours overnight. Is anyone else having the same problem?
I've experienced the registration is done the next day, I guess it would take 8 hours?
Which was the previous version before updating?

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 am

tobetter wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:17 pm
I've experienced the registration is done the next day, I guess it would take 8 hours?
Which was the previous version before updating?
I was updating from 20190418 so the previous version.
I have now left it almost 24 hours and still no Google Play registration. Not sure what I can try now?

EDIT: As soon as I posted this I decided to try the Wifi module in the OTG port (as previously it would not auto-start when connected to the main USB with my touchscreen). Don't know if it's co-incidence but rebooted one more time and now it works!

Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:42 am

codewalker wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work, some apps still rotate.

Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Sun May 05, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi, thought I would post an update from my initial issues now that we are on pie_20190425.
I have now installed the N2 in my car to test everything in the environment that the C2 has been working in:
- Odroid Settings App - once in a submenu you can't go back a level, you have to go Home then back into the Odroid Settings
Fixed
- I'm using an RTD2662 based board at 800x480p60 resolution. In Odroid settings I choose Display, Screen Resolution, Display Mode, I have to turn off 'Support Resolution' to find 800x480p60hz - I then have to reboot to change mode (didn't need to reboot with the C2). The resolution changes, but when I go back to the same menu it shows Display Mode as ODROID-VU5/7. Would be good if it showed the current setting.
Not fixed but minor
- As reported by a couple of other users on the Forum, the Android navigation buttons are all stacked on top of each other on the right hand side of the screen when using this resolution. I can change this in Display, Display Size but the only other option I get is 'Custom (120)' which makes everything too small. On the C2 I could edit build.prop and set the LCD Density property manually - can this be done on the N2 (there is no /build.prop)?
Fixed. Can use 'wm density xxx' in a terminal to specify any DPI which is persistent across reboots.
- If I unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable, the screen goes blank. I have to power cycle the N2 to restore the display.
Fixed
Not fixed but minor, 'Rotation Control' app works ok
Seems to work if I plug it into the OTG port. I believe it's conflicting with my touch controller as it also works in the main USB if my touch controller is not connected.

This can be done with the 'UI Tuner Launcher' app from Google Play
Fixed
It's not that complicated in fact (but already rooted would be nice!)
- Music app immediately closes when launched with a USB drive plugged in. If launched first then USB stick plugged in, it doesn't find the music files.
Fixed - however all music tracks show up as 'UNKNOWN' artist and track.
Not sure if it's just co-incidence, but now even with two Arduinos connected to the USB my GPS is always detected (so far). However, there is a strange problem in that GPS lock is working with the app 'GPS Test' as well as 'Waze' and 'Google Maps', but NOT with 'TomTom GPS Navigation' https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lay.navapp which is my preferred navigation app. When a route is set the 'no gps' icon constantly flashes, and every 30 seconds or so it will seem to get a position briefly but not enough for the navigation to work properly. It is possible to reproduce this and see what the issue is? It's an important feature for me.

One other thing I have noticed is that there seems to be quite a lot of background interference/noise on the analogue audio output - seems to be related to CPU activity which varies a bit when you use different apps and tasks etc.

Thanks,
Ben
These users thanked the author benwillcox for the post (total 2):
qcasey1 (Mon May 06, 2019 12:38 am) • Sailor (Tue May 07, 2019 1:22 pm)

qcasey1

Unread post by qcasey1 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks for the update, HK seems to do a great job fixing issues. Have you tried using the N2 as a Bluetooth A2DP sink again? Curious if that's working in the latest update

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Wed May 08, 2019 6:42 am

qcasey1 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 am
Thanks for the update, HK seems to do a great job fixing issues. Have you tried using the N2 as a Bluetooth A2DP sink again? Curious if that's working in the latest update
Not tried the a2dp sink yet, I have for now assumed that as there is no mention of a fix in the changelog that it's still being worked on.

I've done some testing to try and get to the bottom of this strange GPS problem, where it seems to work in everything except the TomTom app (the only one I actually want!).

I logged the output of the /dev/ttyACM0 GPS device on the C2 where everything works fine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ApYTBY ... sp=sharing
Using the GPSTest app, it shows the 3D fix and the correct time: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XFKNZy ... sp=sharing

Then logged the same output on the N2 where the GPS is not working for TomTom: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g2f9vD ... sp=sharing
On the N2 in the GPSTest app, for some reason the GPS time and date is completely wrong: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mY4YXt ... sp=sharing

Running both logs through this NMEA decoder: http://freenmea.net/decoder resolves the correct time and date, and the position seems to match between the working and non-working files. So, I'm not sure why we have the problem on the N2. I wondered whether the recent GPS rollover has anything to do with it?

Ben

that_kid
ODROIDs: C2

Unread post by that_kid » Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 pm

nice to see others using the N2 in the car. I still haven't installed mines in the car yet, it's on the bench getting everything setup and finishing up the fascia design so I can 3d print it. I tried using my s4 gps and it was only seen when using an app and mock location setup. So I got the official gps and it worked right out of the box. Next step is to get my optical audio setup and give it a quick test run in the car. This will be replacing an aging Nexus 7 2013 tablet.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed May 08, 2019 1:05 pm

We are fixing the GPS issue. I hope we can release a update by end of this week.
These users thanked the author odroid for the post:
benwillcox (Wed May 08, 2019 3:00 pm)

qcasey1

Unread post by qcasey1 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:47 am

This will be replacing an aging Nexus 7 2013 tablet.
Hopefully same here :)

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Thu May 09, 2019 3:50 am

odroid wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:05 pm
We are fixing the GPS issue. I hope we can release a update by end of this week.
Thanks, I look forward to the update.
I have some more information on the wifi issue, as even in the OTG port it actually doesn't reconnect automatically. What the issue appears to be is that if the wifi hotspot is active when the Odroid boots, then it connects automatically. If the Odroid is booted and then the wifi hotspot is switched on, the Odroid doesn't see it even when going into wifi setting and switching wifi off and on. I have to reboot the Odroid and then it will connect automatically.

Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 am

odroid wrote:
Thanks for releasing the update. I found that if you have an SD Card configured as main storage then the upgrade fails and goes to the recovery menu when the system reboots. I presume that is because the SD Card does not get mounted before the update package is applied, and so it can't find the package. I had to migrate my data to the eMMC storage then it upgraded ok.

The GPS fix unfortunately hasn't fixed the problem where it doesn't work in the TomTom navigation app, and the time in GPS Test is wrong as seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mY4YXt ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
Ben

codewalker

Unread post by codewalker » Fri May 10, 2019 9:22 am

Did you edit gps p/vid in /odm/default.prop?
benwillcox wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 am
odroid wrote:
Thanks for releasing the update. I found that if you have an SD Card configured as main storage then the upgrade fails and goes to the recovery menu when the system reboots. I presume that is because the SD Card does not get mounted before the update package is applied, and so it can't find the package. I had to migrate my data to the eMMC storage then it upgraded ok.

The GPS fix unfortunately hasn't fixed the problem where it doesn't work in the TomTom navigation app, and the time in GPS Test is wrong as seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mY4YXt ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Fri May 10, 2019 6:48 pm

codewalker wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:22 am
Did you edit gps p/vid in /odm/default.prop?
I've just checked and the correct pid/vid is already specified in the file (my GPS is the Odroid official one).
We are talking about two separate issues here though - the first one is where multiple serial ACM devices connected do not get assigned specific device ids in /dev/ and so the GPS might sometimes get recognised as /dev/ACM1 or 2 etc meaning that GPS applications receive no data. This is now fixed with the latest update.

The new problem which I recently identified is that the NMEA stream is correctly received from the GPS device, but some GPS applications are not working correctly with this data (which has been verified to be correct using http://freenmea.net/decoder).
GPS Test reports the GPS date to be completely wrong (i.e. the year is returned as --31) which obviously is not valid. My theory is that some applications are more tolerant of this (i.e. Google Maps which seems to still work ok) but TomTom and GPS Test are not. I had wondered if the recent GPS date rollover https://galileognss.eu/gps-week-number- ... il-6-2019/ has something to do with it. Clearly there is an intermediate layer between the NMEA data stream received via the USB serial interface and the receiving application, and it seems that there is something mangling the GPS time/date.
This problem does not occur on the C2 running 6.0.1.

Thanks,
Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

Is anybody else able to verify that the GPS time is reported incorrectly with the GPS Test app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t&hl=en_GB

Many thanks,
Ben

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Tue May 21, 2019 3:17 pm

I get the feeling that I'm talking to myself here.....

Is anyone from Odroid able to verify the GPS problem please? This is the only thing preventing me from replacing the C2 with the N2 in my car application. Unfortunately if the GPS doesn't work properly then I have just bought an £80 brick.

Ben

codewalker

Unread post by codewalker » Tue May 21, 2019 4:17 pm

I first connected Arduino to USB port then connected GPS to USB port.

130|console:/ $ ls /dev/ttyACM* -l                                              
crw-rw-rw- 1 gps gps 166,   0 2019-05-21 16:08 /dev/ttyACM0                     
crw-rw-rw- 1 gps gps 166,   1 2019-05-21 16:08 /dev/ttyACM1

console:/ $ cat /odm/default.prop                                               
ro.service.bt.a2dp_sink=false                                                   
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0                                                              
ro.kernel.android.gps=/dev/ttyACM                                               
ro.gps.id.vendor=1546                                                           
ro.gps.id.product=01a7                                                          
console:/ $ 
console:/ $ lsusb  
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0620                                                
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002                                                
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b                                                
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610                                                
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003                                                
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 2341:0043                                                
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 1546:01a7
ACM0 is arduino and ACM1 is GPS.

The GPS test app gets GPS data whatever they was connected in any order.

codewalker

Unread post by codewalker » Tue May 21, 2019 4:30 pm

I have fixed wrong date from GPS.
You can test this command.

unzip gps.odroidn2.so.zip
adb remount
adb push gps.odroidn2.so /vendor/lib/hw
adb reboot
gps.odroidn2.so.zip
(17.89 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Tue May 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Excellent thank you, I'll try it later on and report back.

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 am

Just gave it a try - time in GPS Test is now correct, and TomTom Go reports the correct position now. Many thanks @codewalker !

Ben

codewalker

Unread post by codewalker » Wed May 22, 2019 9:20 am

Thank you for checking.
A version that resolves this issue will be released this week.

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Sat May 25, 2019 6:59 am

I've updated to pie_20190523 and the GPS is now fully functional thank you. So, the N2 is now installed in my car as a replacement for the C2 and works really well, quite a bit faster than the C2.

However, still some outstanding issues before it's perfect:

- USB Stick with mp3 files now work in the default music player, but all the tracks and artists show up as UNKNOWN (they work fine on the C2)
- Wifi doesn't auto-connect. If the Wifi access point is active when the N2 boots then it connects OK, but if the wifi is brought up after the N2 has booted (I use a 3G mifi device) then the N2 never sees the network until
I reboot
- SPDIF output doesn't seem to work (have posted a separate thread about it)
- I managed to root the original build with Magisk following the relevant thread, but have had no success on the last few versions. Is it possible to have it pre-rooted, or what about maybe an option in Odroid Settings to root the system if not everyone wants a rooted OS by default?
- Some apps rotate to portrait mode, even though I tried 'Edit persist.sys.app.rotation in /vendor/builld.prop. persist.sys.app.rotation=middle_port -> force_land'. I am running 800*480 at around 160 DPI. I use 'Rotation Control' app which works fine but would be good to be able to properly force this within Odroid Setting or the build.prop setting

On a slightly different note, when powering the Odroid N2 from my car, I get a lot of background noise on the Analogue audio output. I think this is probably due to noise on the power supply, which is essentially direct from the car electrical system. I'm going to try something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-GPS-H ... 0005.m1851 but wondered if anyone else has any experience with getting very clean power from a car supply to the Odroid?

Ben

qcasey1

Unread post by qcasey1 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:14 am

I've used a ground loop isolater to remove a lot of the static that comes out of the 3.5mm jack. I think this one specifically:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1NP7YI/re ... 6CbSG3VYK9

Granted this is on a Raspberry Pi with a regulated 5v power supply, but I imagine the ODroid may be similar

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat May 25, 2019 12:14 pm

The N2 software is not mature by any stretch, there will be issues with Android unfortunately.

benwillcox
C2

Unread post by benwillcox » Sun May 26, 2019 5:38 pm

qcasey1 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:14 am
I've used a ground loop isolater to remove a lot of the static that comes out of the 3.5mm jack. I think this one specifically:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1NP7YI/re ... 6CbSG3VYK9
Thank you I will give it a try. I had found that with my previous C2 setup I had some ground loop issues and found that simply disconnecting the ground from the audio out of my DAC was enough to cure the ground loop problems. However with the N2 I'm using the direct analog output instead of a DAC (which I would try if the SPDIF output of the N2 worked), which does seem to be pretty noisy. It does seem like it might be PSU related however, as when I powered the N2 from the official wall power supply on an extension cable to my car, the audio was clean. So I suspect that having a very clean PSU is critical to clean audio.
rooted wrote: The N2 software is not mature by any stretch, there will be issues with Android unfortunately.
Understood, there were similar issues when the C2 first became available, however these did get fixed over time and so I hope that my thread here is a constructive conversation that will help Hardkernel resolve these issues which no doubt will affect a number of users.
Thanks,
Ben
Sailor (Sun May 26, 2019 5:41 pm)

Return to “Android”