Odroid XU4 doesn't play videos fluidly

sergiomafra
languages_spoken: English, Portuguese, Italian
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4
Been thanked: 0

Odroid XU4 doesn't play videos fluidly

Unread post by sergiomafra » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:04 am

Guys, I tried on Armbian based on Ubuntu 18.04 and Android TV 8.1.
Videos get laggy playing on VLC, Kodi, and mpv.
The video is not played fluidly. It seems frames are having a hard time to be rendered.
I'm trying to watch a .mkv file.

Can anyone help me solve this?
What kind of information should I show here in order to get better assistance?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Re: Odroid XU4 doesn't play videos fluidly

Unread post by meveric » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 am

This is probably something you should discuss with the guys from Armbian, as other OSes such as the official Ubuntu, or Debian images do not have this issue.

VLC is not supported and can only do software decoding, which is not very good, also if you don't have proper GLESv2 support for VLC it won't work at all.. best forget about VLC entirely it sucks on ARM platforms.
Kodi works fine on most OSes, but requires specially compiled version to run with hardware decoder on XU4. My guess, Armbian does not provide such a version of Kodi and you have default Kodi without any hardware decoding -> if that's the case this is an issue with Armbian and should be solved by them.
mpv is tricky... in most cases it also only uses software decoding, and if it's not an older build with X11 rendering, it will most likely try to use OpenGL or OpenGL ES.
OpenGL will be extremely slow as ODROIDs do not support OpenGL only software rendering through MESA, and I doubt it's configured to use OpenGL ES fully.
There's also a way to use mpv with hardware accelerated ffmpeg drivers, but I highly doubt that Armbian provides this.

All in all, Armbian is most likely the issue here as they do not provide the software required to run hardware accelerated video decoding as other images do.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
sergiomafra (Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:48 pm)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

sergiomafra

Unread post by sergiomafra » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks for the response, meverick.

Would you recommend me any distro? I guess I'll stick with Ubuntu as I'm already familiarized with it on desktop and server versions if you haven't any other suggestions. It is Ubuntu Mate?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm

If your main focus is video there's also the LibreELEC and CoreELEC project which only provide Kodi and drivers to run Kodi, it doesn't come with a desktop.
So if you want to do other things as well, they yes Ubuntu Mate, or Debian Stretch is probably your best bet.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

sergiomafra

Unread post by sergiomafra » Tue May 07, 2019 10:31 pm

So, I had some time this weekend to test Ubuntu Mate and I loved it. But videos weren't even playing. Only audio. I tried with VLC that came with Ubuntu Mate raw installation. I have another board from ASUS, Tinker S, and I have the same issues with videos. On my Raspberry PI B, I do not have these problems. Is there a lib or codec or optimization that XU4 OS doesn't have? I'll use XU4 for some different things:
- I plugged a 1.5 TB external hard disk and I'm using samba to access it over my network
- I'm developing some Flask applications and opening them to web
- I connected it to my TV to watch films and tv shows that I've downloaded via Torrent or on Netflix and Prime
- I will create a bot on Telegram to put some torrent files and it will download automatically for me on Odroid

These are some of my goals. I'll retire my Rasp and use Tinker S on my car for some real-time image processing.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 pm

sergiomafra wrote: โ†‘
Tue May 07, 2019 10:31 pm
So, I had some time this weekend to test Ubuntu Mate and I loved it. But videos weren't even playing. Only audio. I tried with VLC that came with Ubuntu Mate raw installation. I have another board from ASUS, Tinker S, and I have the same issues with videos. On my Raspberry PI B, I do not have these problems. Is there a lib or codec or optimization that XU4 OS doesn't have?
You were told before VLC DOES NOT WORK please stop trying it!

If you want to watch videos on the ODROID XU4 please use Kodi!
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
sergiomafra (Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 am)

sergiomafra

Unread post by sergiomafra » Wed May 08, 2019 12:51 am

I tried VLC again just because someone told me that behind the scenes it uses ffmpeg and it CAME with the Operational System proper for Odroid XU4. So I gave it a try.

And I tried KODI on Armbian and it didn't work at all.

Now I found out a solution for watching videos with no delay. Using FFPLAY from FFMPEG did the trick. Just have to learn to use it from the command line.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 am

Wed May 08, 2019 12:51 am
I tried VLC again just because someone told me that behind the scenes it uses ffmpeg and it CAME with the Operational System proper for Odroid XU4.
That's not true, VLC uses it's own drivers, they may be based on ffmpeg, but I doubt that.
mpv is using ffmpeg in the back, but might also be statically linked, not sure.
And yes there are versions of mpv out there that have hardware decoding support for XU4, but it's hard to come by.
And I tried KODI on Armbian and it didn't work at all.
We had that talk before, Armbian does not provide correct Kodi.
Only Ubuntu Mate from HardKernel, or my Debian image does (maybe Arch or some others as well, but Armbian does not provide Kodi for ODROIDs).
Now I found out a solution for watching videos with no delay. Using FFPLAY from FFMPEG did the trick. Just have to learn to use it from the command line.
ffplay works as well, either by hardware decoding on Ubuntu/Debian with patched version, or ffmpeg > 4.0
Or by software decoding on Armbian, the XU4 has a very strong CPU and can even software decode H265 content, and ffplay is the best software for software decoding.

escalade
languages_spoken: english and norwegian

Unread post by escalade » Wed May 08, 2019 2:48 am

If you like you can try my LibreELEC fork with Kodi 18.2 (using Areascout's patch). It runs on GBM with latest 5.0 kernel and MFC hw decoding of videos. So fluid that you will slide right off your chair ๐Ÿ˜‰

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=34647
Last edited by escalade on Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maintainer of RetroELEC (XU4 support!)

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed May 08, 2019 2:59 am

Offtopic but
- I will create a bot on Telegram to put some torrent files and it will download automatically for me on Odroid
I had the same idea, but instead of downloading torrents I want to send youtube links (shared from my phone) either for download or for playback (audio only) to several mpd instances at home. If there is a generic bot framework that you plan on using, please let me know so that I don't reinvent the wheel.

AreaScout
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm

Hello

Or you could follow my guide viewtopic.php?f=147&t=33860#p246481 and install the kodi packages on Armbian, that guide is made for OpenMediaVault but this is also Armbian kernel

RG

Return to โ€œGeneral Topicsโ€