Odroid Go as wireless serial bridge

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Odroid Go as wireless serial bridge

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:26 am

This idea has been discussed before - how about using the GO's GPIOs to interface to a serial device and:
1. Print output via the screen as it comes along
2. Connect to a pre-configured wifi AP and expose that serial port over the network (should be something simple, like interface with netcat over some port).
3. Dump (and accept) serial data through the USB port on the Go (if the baud rate of the connection is 115200, to prevent overflows).

Why do I need this? I have an odroid in a hard-to-reach place that sometimes gets into trouble (today I had sever power outages and I needed to pull the card and run fsck because it wouldn't boot). Having serial access to it might prevent me from disconnecting all the cables/disk to get to it.

I know @crashoverride initially said this was something he was interested in too, so maybe he has something hidden away and not released? :D

crashoverride
ODROIDs: C1
Has thanked: 0

Re: Odroid Go as wireless serial bridge

Unread post by crashoverride » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:05 am

I am contemplating this a lot recently due to N2. The main obstacle is that I simply can not source a wired connector to attach to the console port on ODROIDs.

The idea is as follows:
1) ESP32 talks RS-232 to console cable.
2) ESP32 repeats the data over a BT Classic SPP interface so that ANYTHING can wirelessly connect to it without special software/drivers. This eliminates the complexity of WiFI AP association and IP discovery.
3) Optional console port access over WiFi + Telnet.
4) Solid state relay connected to barrel jacks (needs to support voltages from 5V to 20V) so that device power can be turned on/off remotely.

Since I originally envisioned this as SmartPower3. There was an additional point:
5) Ethernet connector (provided by ESP32).

I should also note that the USB UART typically connected to ESP32 devices like ODROID-GO is used as a debug port by default in esp-idf. This means many things will blindly write data to it disrupting its use as a remote console. It can be 'silenced', but it would require manual review of code and physically modifying a 'boot' pin.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:06 pm

The reason I'm not a big fun of BT is that you have to be in the same area as the target. As I work mostly remotely I find wifi to be more versatile (with the GO connecting to an existing network you can control what IP it gets via DHCP).

Regarding cables - I think you can use dupont female cables - skip VCC, and if needed remove the plastic around the middle cable so it can fit. I seem to remember the cables can be forced in at an angle.

doughnut
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+ XU4 H2

Unread post by doughnut » Thu May 02, 2019 10:31 am

If you are looking for an Odroid solution, I do not have one. I currently use a Raspberry Pi Zero to serve up a USB weather station to my network to allow attachment and making a wireless USB connection. Zero is running Ubuntu and the USB sharing software is freeware version from a company call Virtual Here. Software is available for just about any platform you can imagine.

Using this solution, the weather station appears to be locally attached to computer using wifi network. Works like a charm, and is completely headless in operation. Total cost is around $20.

doughnut
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+ XU4 H2

Unread post by doughnut » Thu May 02, 2019 10:34 am

This sounds like a fun way learn GPS programming concepts, without breaking the bank. Plus, you end up with a Gamboy! What a deal...

ripper121

Unread post by ripper121 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:08 am

If I have some time again I can code it.
These users thanked the author ripper121 for the post:
mad_ady (Sat May 04, 2019 4:00 am)

Return to “Projects”