Review Video : Odroid N2 with Linux

BadPritt
languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Review Video : Odroid N2 with Linux

Unread post by BadPritt » Thu May 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi all.
I've finished my review video about the Odroid N2. I like it a lot, it's doing it's job great for me.
Thank you to everyone who helped me finding fixes. Certainly @Brad for the swap/zram fix.
All have a nice day.
Greetings, NicoD

These users thanked the author BadPritt for the post (total 4):
1917 (Fri May 03, 2019 1:10 am) • meveric (Fri May 03, 2019 4:55 am) • paulcrawford (Fri May 03, 2019 5:34 am) • brad (Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 pm)

easybob95
languages_spoken: english

Re: Review Video : Odroid N2 with Linux

Unread post by easybob95 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 am

Hello Nico,

I have just seen your video. Very interesting. Many thanks for this review.

I will follow your work. I will receive a N2 soon and as i am not really aware with linux, i will need help for sure.

I will use the N2 board to make astrophotography. I made a standalone system to make sky survey with a planetary camera, a 2 axes motorized mount i made and everything is controlled with a raspberry pi 3 b+.

As the raspberry is a bit weak to control my system, i plan to replace it with the odroid N2.

I wrote the software with Python and i make realtime video filtering using opencv library. That means i need powerful CPU and i hope odroid N2 will be a good choice for my project.

Thanks again for your video. I will watch further videos if you make some.

Alain
These users thanked the author easybob95 for the post:
BadPritt (Fri May 03, 2019 5:03 am)

BadPritt
languages_spoken: english dutch french spanish german
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
Odroid XU4Q

Unread post by BadPritt » Fri May 03, 2019 5:31 am

easybob95 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 am
I will use the N2 board to make astrophotography. I made a standalone system to make sky survey with a planetary camera, a 2 axes motorized mount i made and everything is controlled with a raspberry pi 3 b+.
Hi Bob.
Now that sound like an awesome project. If it's only CPU power you need then there's nothing better than the Odroid N2. But do know it doesn't have VPU support in Linux(yet?). So when playing video it uses a lot of it's CPU power for that alone.
I do not know how that works with your application. For lower resolution video this shouldn't be a problem. But 1080p or higher eats away the CPU performance.
There are also a lot more knowledgeable people than me on this forum who also can help you out.
It's a great community.
Good luck with you N2.
Greetings, NicoD.

easybob95
languages_spoken: english

Unread post by easybob95 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Well, my software capture frames from the camera, makes realtime treatment of the frame and save it in a video. I do not need high frame rate because i make deep sky captures (exposure time is about 1 second) but i need a good CPU to make treatment as fast as possible.

I use Opencv routines which can theoretically use Opencl and therefore be able to get GPU acceleration but this is the theory. Raspberry pi do not have GPU acceleration and Odroid N2 does not have it yet. I am not sure i will be able to get GPU acceleration with the N2 but i think that captures treatment will the CPU will be interesting.

So, to resume, i do not make high framerate video but only very slow framerate (1 fps for example or less) with realtime treatment during acquistion. That is to say i can make high resolution captures (6 Mpx for example) but i need good CPU for treatment (and USB3 for camera data transfer).

I am sure Odroid N2 will be great.

Alain

Return to “General Topics”