Issues with RF Remote w/ IR Learning Feature

stillmatic
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2

Issues with RF Remote w/ IR Learning Feature

Unread post by stillmatic » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:57 am

Hi all,

Searched far and wide and wasn't able to find a solution for this.

I recently purchased this remote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b01n0 ... utf8&psc=1

It works great out of the box with LE 9.0 and the IR learning worked fine for powering on TV and Receiver.

Where I am having issues is powering on the C2. I tried to run IR Learning to capture my harmony remotes power signal that has worked in the past, but the IR learning feature of this remote can't catch it for some reason.

Reviewing other threads I am seeing mentions of Lirc and ir-keytable, but neither of these would seem to fix my issue. Since I tried turning on the listening for my remote via ssh, when I press the programmable IR button on my remote, my C2 doesn't capture anything. So I don't have a code I can use to update my config file.

Is my only hope buying an HK Remote and hoping my other remote can learn from it or should I return this remote completely and look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

stillmatic

Re: Issues with RF Remote w/ IR Learning Feature

Unread post by stillmatic » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:35 am

Bump Bump.

Anybody else using a third party universal remote?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:17 am

Try to generate the same power-on code in this link.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/appli ... controller

Wild Penguin
languages_spoken: english, finnish
ODROIDs: Odroid C1
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Wild Penguin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:29 pm

I had *severe* problems using the IR learning feature on my C1 (running Ubuntu). It is as if the learning software is not working quite as intented; it can not detect the gap settings (IIRC) correctly for any remote. Also, repeat bit detection is just broken, the software skips that part altogether.

Previously (which was something like 10 years ago on some i586 box) I didn't have this kind of problems, I could practically teach any remote I could find via LIRC. There's something odd with the built-in IR sensor or the LIRC build...

By hand editing the generated config (which is off), I was oddly able to use an IR blaster to control my hardware, but LIRC does still not understand the original remote!

I've been planning on re-testing and posting about this (with details I don't remember from the top of my head) but haven't been able to because of time constraints. stillmatic: can you elaborate what is wrong? Do you have other/many remotes to try?

stillmatic

Unread post by stillmatic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:30 am

Wild Penguin wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:29 pm
I had *severe* problems using the IR learning feature on my C1 (running Ubuntu). It is as if the learning software is not working quite as intented; it can not detect the gap settings (IIRC) correctly for any remote. Also, repeat bit detection is just broken, the software skips that part altogether.

Previously (which was something like 10 years ago on some i586 box) I didn't have this kind of problems, I could practically teach any remote I could find via LIRC. There's something odd with the built-in IR sensor or the LIRC build...

By hand editing the generated config (which is off), I was oddly able to use an IR blaster to control my hardware, but LIRC does still not understand the original remote!

I've been planning on re-testing and posting about this (with details I don't remember from the top of my head) but haven't been able to because of time constraints. stillmatic: can you elaborate what is wrong? Do you have other/many remotes to try?
AFAIK, all other remotes work fine with the new RF Remote. I just have no idea how to get this type of remote to turn on the Odroid C2 via IR since I don't have the Odroid IR remote by itself. I currently turn the device on using a Harmony remote that thankfully has an Odroid C2 profile in their software. There is no software for this new remote though, so wondering how I can get it to learn to turn on the C2....

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 am

Perhaps it doesn't understand the protocol the harmony is using, I don't know why. I'm relatively sure the HK remote uses NEC.
These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
stillmatic (Thu May 23, 2019 2:06 am)

stillmatic

Unread post by stillmatic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:00 am

rooted wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 am
Perhaps it doesn't understand the protocol the harmony is using, I don't know why. I'm relatively sure the HK remote uses NEC.
Thanks. To anyone having the same issue in the future, the only way to program a RF remote with IR learning is to buy the odroid remote. It should capture that signal fine.
These users thanked the author stillmatic for the post:
mad_ady (Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:38 pm)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:33 am

stillmatic wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:00 am
rooted wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 am
Thanks. To anyone having the same issue in the future, the only way to program a RF remote with IR learning is to buy the odroid remote. It should capture that signal fine.
Do you have any idea how the harmony remote is configured? I mean like vendor or model programmed to your harmony remote? ODROID remote uses NEC protocol, if it does not understand your remote then remote does not send NEC protocol or LIRC configuration does not have matched manufacturere code with your hardmony remote, that's what I am guessing.

Return to “CoreELEC/LibreELEC - Kodi Project for C1/C2”