[Howto] Hass.io on Odroid C1

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

[Howto] Hass.io on Odroid C1

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

I have an old C1+ that I want to give away as a gift to a friend and he wants to use it for home automation, so I installed hass.io on it (HomeAssistant with docker support and some extra modules). Here are some steps if you want to do the same:
1. Start with the ubuntu C1 minimal image. Boot it and let it resize
2. Install hass.io (instructions at the bottom: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/). Slightly adapted to run on the C1:

Code: Select all

sudo su -
apt-get install software-properties-common
add-apt-repository universe
apt-get update
apt-get install -y apparmor-utils apt-transport-https avahi-daemon ca-certificates curl dbus jq network-manager socat
curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh
curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh" > hassio_install.sh
sudo apt install zram-config
service zram-config start
bash hassio_install.sh -m raspberrypi3
3. Wait about ~10 minutes and check http://odroid-ip:8123.

In order to make other Hass.io plugins work (as containers) you need to disable apparmor on the C1, since the kernel is too old to support it properly. Edit /media/boot/boot.ini and add apparmor=0 to bootargs and reboot afterwards.

Old content:

Most things are working - except starting Hass.io modules (e.g. appdaemon), because of problems with AppArmor on the C1:

Code: Select all

19-04-15 08:08:06 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker] Can't start addon_core_configurator: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("Could not check if docker-default AppArmor profile was loaded: open /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/profiles: no such file or directory")
19-04-15 08:08:07 ERROR (SyncWorker_17) [hassio.docker] Can't start addon_a0d7b954_appdaemon3: 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("Could not check if docker-default AppArmor profile was loaded: open /sys/kernel/security/apparmor/profiles: no such file or directory")
This issue seems to be because of C1's old 3.10 kernel: viewtopic.php?t=31369, but I haven't tried mainline because of its reboot/emmc issues.
Last edited by mad_ady on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: [Howto] Hass.io on Odroid C1

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:00 pm

@mad_ady, I suspect the kernel is too old or a couple of kernel features are off to run Docker?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm

It seems so, yes. The problem is AppArmor support in the kernel. I tried to fake AppArmor support by mounting something fake over the apparmor sysfs (which worked), but the process tries to set something in apparmor and fails later on. I'll try to boot with apparmor=0

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Ok - update. I added apparmor=0 to bootargs in boot.ini and now the extra containers started without issues. It probably reduces the overall security of the system, but at least it works :D
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
tobetter (Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 pm)

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 pm
Ok - update. I added apparmor=0 to bootargs in boot.ini and now the extra containers started without issues. It probably reduces the overall security of the system, but at least it works :D
Coor, good to know. I thought C1's kernel might be ok to run Docker since its version is 3.10 which is minimal kernel version for Docker, I think.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:19 pm

It seems the github URL for the installer has changed a couple of days ago, so I made a change to the first post.

Return to “Projects”