Is it OK to turn off the large fan on CloudShell2?

y2i
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Is it OK to turn off the large fan on CloudShell2?

Unread post by y2i » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:19 pm

I setup CloudShell2 with XU4 board (not XU4Q). CloudShell2 comes with a large fan, and XU4 board has a small fan. I found the large fan a bit noisy and wanted to ask if it would be OK to turn it off? Would the smaller fan on the XU4 board be enough? Or do I need to keep the large fan running?
Thank you in advance!

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Re: Is it OK to turn off the large fan on CloudShell2?

Unread post by AreaScout » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:33 pm

y2i wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:19 pm
I setup CloudShell2 with XU4 board (not XU4Q). CloudShell2 comes with a large fan, and XU4 board has a small fan. I found the large fan a bit noisy and wanted to ask if it would be OK to turn it off? Would the smaller fan on the XU4 board be enough? Or do I need to keep the large fan running?
Thank you in advance!
No I wouldn't turn it off, consider that the hard disks and the board is in an enclosed housing, uploading large files can do heavy CPU load and the hard disk produces it's own heat directly underneath the XU4 board.

I really recommend you using my CloudShell2 display and monitoring tool, it will switch off the fan when not needed and turn it on when high CPU load appears, also you can see your hard disks temperature, if the board reaches an absolute
maximum level it will switch off your CloudShell2 suavely ( CPU fan defective or case fan defective )

With this you have both safety and silent CloudShell2 ;)

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=33860

RG

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:28 pm

Thank you for the advice about not turning the fan off.

On the flip side, after installing cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.6-2_armhf.deb my system does not boot :( I'll probably have to re-build the system from scratch and follow the official guide.

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:35 pm

y2i wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:28 pm
Thank you for the advice about not turning the fan off.

On the flip side, after installing cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.6-2_armhf.deb my system does not boot :( I'll probably have to re-build the system from scratch and follow the official guide.
Is there any error message you get ? The tool is the last service that is started in the boot sequence, so at least you should be able to connect to the board.

RG

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:57 am

I didn't even look at error messages. SATA Status LED 1 was on, SATA Status LED 0 was blinking. The disks were spinning and making unusual noise. SSHD never came up, so I couldn't connect. I didn't want to experiment with the system in that state and simply rebuilt it from scratch. Now everything is back to normal, but without installing cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.6-2_armhf.deb.

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:48 pm

y2i wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:57 am
I didn't even look at error messages. SATA Status LED 1 was on, SATA Status LED 0 was blinking. The disks were spinning and making unusual noise. SSHD never came up, so I couldn't connect. I didn't want to experiment with the system in that state and simply rebuilt it from scratch. Now everything is back to normal, but without installing cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.6-2_armhf.deb.
First of all my tool is harmless and can't destroy your hard disk nor it can make any physical damage to the disk, that sounds now as if my tool would damage something :(

If you hear unusual noise then this could be a spin up noise or your hard disk has a mechanical fault, then this will probably reappear

Was the LCD backlight ON ? If this wasn't ON you didn't install the LCD driver before, or the error was way earlier in the boot process and my tool didn't even run, if my tool would run without LCD driver, it would abort program execution immediately

However my tool does mask (disable) all tty1 output, so if you have bootet without LCD driver, tty1 output, for example bootlog wouldn't be visible on your Monitor/TV and if you are using an OS without window manager (minimal images), you would just have a black screen, you can bypass this by switching to different tty with ALT+F1 or any other function key combination to troubleshoot your operating system !

RG

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:11 pm

LCD was on and had many log messages usually seen at boot time, but I don't remember the last message at which the boot stopped. I was concerned with the noise, with the fact that LED 1 was constantly on and LED 0 was blinking, and that I couldn't not login via SSH. That's why I turned the system off and rebuilt it from scratch.

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:21 pm

y2i wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:11 pm
LCD was on and had many log messages usually seen at boot time, but I don't remember the last message at which the boot stopped. I was concerned with the noise, with the fact that LED 1 was constantly on and LED 0 was blinking, and that I couldn't not login via SSH. That's why I turned the system off and rebuilt it from scratch.
If the top led was on (led1) and the bottom one was blinking (led0) this is pretty normal, I have seen this also on my CS2 and there was nothing defective, it was during normal read operations. If you had log messages in the LCD this is pretty strange because if you installed my tool it will disable the output, on what OS did you running it ? Ubuntu, OMV e.t.c ?

RG

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:01 am

I thought LED 1 on and LED 0 blinking was unusual. In RAID 1 configuration they are typically synchronous. And the noise was strange.
OS is Ubuntu minimal https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... 03-minimal

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux odroid2 4.14.107-157 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 21 09:59:50 -03 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
Board is XU4 with a fan https://ameridroid.com/collections/sing ... odroid-xu4
Current limit fan board is installed.
I use RAID 1 with two WD Red 6T hard drives.

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:18 am

y2i wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:01 am
I thought LED 1 on and LED 0 blinking was unusual. In RAID 1 configuration they are typically synchronous. And the noise was strange.
Yes they should be synchronous but sometimes they are not, I don't know how to interpret this however I also use a RAID 1 configuration and have discard it several times back to PM, just for testing, it was working 100%, I had two hard disk with the complete same content/data on it after that.

Maybe you give it another try with my 1.0.7 version ?, the 1.0.6 had /dev/sda hard coded as device path to talk to the controller, so if you had something else connected which get's /dev/sda that wouldn't work, hmm but that does not explain the strange sound, the only strange sound I have ever hear on a hard disk is the spin up/down sound, this can be very loud and have an ugly sound did you configure a unique spin up/down time within the raidmgr_static tool ? I am not sure but I think that the spin up/down from OS is different from the one you configure with raid manager, you have to be careful that this two operation does not harm each other.

Other than that I am out of ideas

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:28 pm

My drive path is /dev/sda. I didn't use raidmgr_static tool. I'm still going to give it a try over the weekend, but I wanted to understand a couple of things first.
1. Do I need to remove current limit fan board or should I keep it?
2. My XU4 board comes with a fan. Do I need to disable/disconnect it, or is it OK to keep it connected and enabled?

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:30 pm

y2i wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:28 pm
My drive path is /dev/sda. I didn't use raidmgr_static tool. I'm still going to give it a try over the weekend, but I wanted to understand a couple of things first.
1. Do I need to remove current limit fan board or should I keep it?
2. My XU4 board comes with a fan. Do I need to disable/disconnect it, or is it OK to keep it connected and enabled?
  1. Keep it
  2. Keep it
Off course you need the current limit board and the XU4 fan enabled/connect untouched !

Looking forward to your tests :idea:

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:26 pm

I tried to again install cloudshell2-monitoring and got the system into almost the same state, with one exception: there was no strange noise from hard disks.

I think my problem was that I had already gone through RAID setup and had odroid-cloudshell, cloudshell2-fan and cloudshell-lcd already installed. Before installing cloudshell2-monitoring, I purged cloudshell2-fan and cloudshell-lcd. But postinst (or prerm, I don't remember exactly) script of cloudshell-lcd had an error and may be something was left over.

At that point I gave it yet another try. Rebuilt the system from scratch, but didn't not setup RAID. Followed the steps to install odroid-cloudshell, libfreetype6 and cloudshell2-monitoring. After reboot the system came back. LCD displays console log. I was able to login via SSH. But there is no new display look.

Besides odroid-cloudshell, libfreetype6 and cloudshell2-monitoring, do I need to install other packages, like cloudshell-lcd? I'm afraid to try cloudshell-lcd again since it seems to have problems with installation scripts.

Thank you.
These users thanked the author y2i for the post:
AreaScout (Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:17 pm)

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:26 pm

y2i wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:26 pm
I tried to again install cloudshell2-monitoring and got the system into almost the same state, with one exception: there was no strange noise from hard disks.

I think my problem was that I had already gone through RAID setup and had odroid-cloudshell, cloudshell2-fan and cloudshell-lcd already installed. Before installing cloudshell2-monitoring, I purged cloudshell2-fan and cloudshell-lcd. But postinst (or prerm, I don't remember exactly) script of cloudshell-lcd had an error and may be something was left over.

At that point I gave it yet another try. Rebuilt the system from scratch, but didn't not setup RAID. Followed the steps to install odroid-cloudshell, libfreetype6 and cloudshell2-monitoring. After reboot the system came back. LCD displays console log. I was able to login via SSH. But there is no new display look.

Besides odroid-cloudshell, libfreetype6 and cloudshell2-monitoring, do I need to install other packages, like cloudshell-lcd? I'm afraid to try cloudshell-lcd again since it seems to have problems with installation scripts.

Thank you.
Thank you too y2i :)

With your help I could solve a bug which strangely occurred only on Ubuntu and not Debian as far as I can tell, first is, the package sysstat is not installed by default and second an empty string could be passed to SDL2_ttf which could caused a segfault, I have fixed it and uploaded a new package + updated the howto

Here is a small description what I was doing to install it on Ubuntu minimal image:

Install all the latest updates:

apt update && apt full-upgrade -y
Install the LCD driver + reboot:

wget https://github.com/seungchar/odroid-cloudshell/raw/master/odroid-cloudshell_20170420-4_armhf.deb
dpkg -i odroid-cloudshell_20170420-4_armhf.deb
reboot
Install the LCD Display and Monitoring tool:

wget http://www.areascout.at/cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.7-2_armhf.deb
apt install ./cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.7-2_armhf.deb
After the last command which installs the tool plus it's dependencies, it should immediate start and finally working !

Again thanks for testing !

RG

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:03 pm

I have no luck. I purged cloudshell2-monitoring and odroid-cloudshell that I installed yesterday, rebooted, then installed odroid-cloudshell again and rebooted for the second time.
Then I installed the new version of cloudshell2-monitoring (cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.7-2_armhf.deb). apt also installed libsensors4 and sysstat. Nothing changed after the installation. And after the third reboot nothing changed. The system is in the same state that it was yesterday: LCD displays console log. I can login via SSH. But there is no new display look.

When I was installing cloudshell2-monitoring, apt also suggested to install lm-sensors and isag. I didn't install them on the first try, but installed them after the third reboot. Those two packages brought a lot of dependencies, but nothing changed. Even after the fourth reboot my system does not show the new display.

Also in the log I found the following that may be relevant:

Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 start-lcd[391]: Unable to open sys file system: No such file or directory
Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 start-lcd[391]: awk: line 1: runaway string constant "eth0 ...
Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Is start-lcd related to cloudshell2-monitoring?

Edit

It seems it does. When I run

sudo service cloudshell2-monitoring start
I see the following in the syslog:

Apr  8 22:06:06 odroid2 systemd[1]: Started "ODROID Cloudshell2 Monitoring".
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 start-lcd[733]: Unable to open sys file system: No such file or directory
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 start-lcd[733]: awk: line 1: runaway string constant "eth0 ...
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:41 pm

y2i wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:03 pm
I have no luck. I purged cloudshell2-monitoring and odroid-cloudshell that I installed yesterday, rebooted, then installed odroid-cloudshell again and rebooted for the second time.
Then I installed the new version of cloudshell2-monitoring (cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.7-2_armhf.deb). apt also installed libsensors4 and sysstat. Nothing changed after the installation. And after the third reboot nothing changed. The system is in the same state that it was yesterday: LCD displays console log. I can login via SSH. But there is no new display look.

When I was installing cloudshell2-monitoring, apt also suggested to install lm-sensors and isag. I didn't install them on the first try, but installed them after the third reboot. Those two packages brought a lot of dependencies, but nothing changed. Even after the fourth reboot my system does not show the new display.

Also in the log I found the following that may be relevant:

Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 start-lcd[391]: Unable to open sys file system: No such file or directory
Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 start-lcd[391]: awk: line 1: runaway string constant "eth0 ...
Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr  8 21:48:03 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Is start-lcd related to cloudshell2-monitoring?

Edit

It seems it does. When I run

sudo service cloudshell2-monitoring start
I see the following in the syslog:

Apr  8 22:06:06 odroid2 systemd[1]: Started "ODROID Cloudshell2 Monitoring".
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 start-lcd[733]: Unable to open sys file system: No such file or directory
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 start-lcd[733]: awk: line 1: runaway string constant "eth0 ...
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr  8 22:06:07 odroid2 systemd[1]: cloudshell2-monitoring.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Ok :) You have to deinstall cloudshell-lcd because this lcd script also has a file with the same name start-lcd and it looks like it's still active, you have to decide what you want to see, the new tool or the lcd script you installed before, remember both can't run at the same time and my howto didn't say you have to install cloudshell-lcd ! It's like running two apps at the same time on the same display, that want work.

After you have deinstalled the script you have to reinstall my tool again

Rg

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 pm

I didn't install cloudshell-lcd this time, the system was built from scratch with no cloudshell packages installed, except odroid-cloudshell and cloudshell2-monitoring. It is something else:

odroid@odroid2:~$ apt list --installed | grep cloudshell

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

cloudshell2-monitoring/now 1.0.7-2 armhf [installed,local]
odroid-cloudshell/now 20170420-4 armhf [installed,local]
odroid@odroid2:~$

odroid@odroid2:~$ sudo find / -iname "start-lcd"
/usr/local/bin/start-lcd

odroid@odroid2:~$ cat /usr/local/bin/start-lcd
#!/bin/bash

export NETIF=$(ls /sys/class/net -I lo)
echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink
echo none > /sys/class/leds/blue\:heartbeat/trigger
/usr/local/bin/CloudShell2_lcd

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:56 pm

What kernel version are you running ? And can you try to run the tool from command line ? NETIF=eth0 CloudShell2_lcd

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 am

odroid@odroid2:~$ uname -a
Linux odroid2 4.14.107-157 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 21 09:59:50 -03 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
Running the tool from command line brings up the new display look!!!

Since we manually set NETIF=eth0, can this be the problem?

odroid@odroid2:~$ ls /sys/class/net -I lo
eth0  wlan0
I'll keep running the tool manually for now, it looks great!!!

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:25 pm

More info: after removing WiFi USB module, /sys/class/net/wlan0 disappeared and now the new screen starts up on the system boot.

Almost everything is resolved, except one more thing: there seems to be some sequencing conflict between the tool and HDD auto mount. As soon as I enable HDD auto mount in /etc/fstab, the system stops booting. This was the root my problem since the very beginning. But instead of re-building the system from scratch, all I had to do to pull out the SD card and comment out the line in /etc/fstab on another computer. As long as HDD does not mount, the new display comes up. Is it possible to take a look at that?

Thank you!

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:30 pm

y2i wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 am
Running the tool from command line brings up the new display look!!!

Since we manually set NETIF=eth0, can this be the problem?
Oh :) ! good to read that it's working now

Yes this is exactly why it wasn't working too, I had to ask for the network device name because OMV uses the new Predictable Network Interface Names and a network device name is unique to it's MAC address and look like this enx001e0632a130, so if you have two network interfaces the start-lcd script will fail to obtain the network interface name, that's totally easy to fix:

Edit the start-lcd script variable NETIF to have a fixed network device name like this (if you want to monitor wlan0 you can also add that device name of course):

#!/bin/bash

export NETIF=eth0
or

Edit the start-lcd script to always show only the first match of the ls command which will be eth0 or enx* because of it's alphabetical order like:

#!/bin/bash

export NETIF=$(ls /sys/class/net -I lo | head -1)
or

Do not export the NETIF variable, then my tool should default to eth0 name, like (I don't have the source code by hand now to double check but it must work too):

#!/bin/bash

y2i wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:25 pm
Almost everything is resolved, except one more thing: there seems to be some sequencing conflict between the tool and HDD auto mount. As soon as I enable HDD auto mount in /etc/fstab, the system stops booting. This was the root my problem since the very beginning. But instead of re-building the system from scratch, all I had to do to pull out the SD card and comment out the line in /etc/fstab on another computer. As long as HDD does not mount, the new display comes up. Is it possible to take a look at that?

I have to check on that when I have time for it

RG

AreaScout
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm

I have tested on Ubuntu 18.04 minimal image to place a mount to my RAID 1 hard disk in /etc/fstab and there is no sequencing error between my tool and the hdd auto mount, it is working like a charm, the hdd mounts on boot and my tool starts, so I can't find anything not working, let's say the tool is ready to "sell to customers"

Here is my fstab:

root@odroid:~# cat /etc/fstab
    UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime 0 1
    LABEL=boot /media/boot vfat defaults 0 1
    /dev/sda /mnt ext4 defaults 0 1

root@odroid:~#

These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post:
    y2i (Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:03 am)

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 am

Thank you so much for looking into that! I'm not sure what I've done exactly, but everything is working now. Earlier today I got to the point where my /dev/sda disappeared. The tool came up and showed Broken RAID State. I started checking cables and found one end of USB cable was loosely connected, probably because of my disassembling/re-assembling activity. After fixing connection, the tool showed normal RAID state. I enabled auto-mounting in /dev/fstab and everything started to work right away. I cannot guarantee that the loose connection was always the issue because couple of weeks ago I was able to work with my HDD and there is some test data on the disks. Still not sure what the issue was, but the tool is working and it is awesome!

One question I wanted to ask is instead of configuring network interfaces in /usr/local/bin/start-lcd, as you suggested earlier, would it be possible to move configuration to a config file in /etcj folder?

Thank you again for the tool!

AreaScout
    H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm

y2i wrote:
    Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 am
    Thank you so much for looking into that! I'm not sure what I've done exactly, but everything is working now. Earlier today I got to the point where my /dev/sda disappeared. The tool came up and showed Broken RAID State. I started checking cables and found one end of USB cable was loosely connected, probably because of my disassembling/re-assembling activity. After fixing connection, the tool showed normal RAID state. I enabled auto-mounting in /dev/fstab and everything started to work right away. I cannot guarantee that the loose connection was always the issue because couple of weeks ago I was able to work with my HDD and there is some test data on the disks. Still not sure what the issue was, but the tool is working and it is awesome!
    A system has a lot of possibilities to fail, I am glad you found it
    y2i wrote:
    Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 am
    One question I wanted to ask is instead of configuring network interfaces in /usr/local/bin/start-lcd, as you suggested earlier, would it be possible to move configuration to a config file in /etcj folder?
    You don't have to edit start-lcd it's just one way to define a environment variable for the application, there are several ways to define environment variables look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables
    It is commonly used to configure applications with env. variables, it would not hard to implement a config file but what would be the enhancement of it ?

RG

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:17 am

AreaScout wrote:
    Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm
    You don't have to edit start-lcd it's just one way to define a environment variable for the application, there are several ways to define environment variables look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables
    It is commonly used to configure applications with env. variables, it would not hard to implement a config file but what would be the enhancement of it ?
    start-lcd sets NETIF=$(ls /sys/class/net -I lo), which does not work when a system has more than one network interface. The only way to make the script work without removing extra network interfaces is to edit start-lcd script, which is not what people typically do when they configure other services, like dovecot, postgresql, postfix or nginx. Scripts are typically untouched and config files in /etc folder are edited. It's not an enhancement, it's more aligning with how things are typically done. https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-polic ... tion-files And config file can also be used to configure temperature thresholds and any future parameters that may be required by the tool.

I would also consider a different installation folder instead of /usr/local/bin - this folder is typically used to install binaries that are built locally with make install.

It is just my 2 cents. The tools is great as is.

AreaScout
    H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:20 pm

y2i wrote:
    Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:17 am

start-lcd sets NETIF=$(ls /sys/class/net -I lo), which does not work when a system has more than one network interface. The only way to make the script work without removing extra network interfaces is to edit start-lcd script, which is not what people typically do when they configure other services, like dovecot, postgresql, postfix or nginx. Scripts are typically untouched and config files in /etc folder are edited. It's not an enhancement, it's more aligning with how things are typically done. https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-polic ... tion-files And config file can also be used to configure temperature thresholds and any future parameters that may be required by the tool.

I would also consider a different installation folder instead of /usr/local/bin - this folder is typically used to install binaries that are built locally with make install.

It is just my 2 cents. The tools is great as is.
    Sure the next version will have set NETIF=$(ls /sys/class/net -I lo | head -1) so it can't fail anymore. But my point was more what's the enhancement of a config file ? If a config file would support scripting then yes, I have to look for a library which supports that because normally config files are a static way to define parameters and i.e for the NETIF variable I need a dynamic way to define it, because the net device name is different on every xu4 if the new predicable network device names are used and environment variables are fully scriptable so you could set different thresholds for different seasons winter or summer time, or you could write a script which reads the value of a room temperature sensor and changes parameters for the tool in real time, or having the user notified by SMS if something happens, for such things you need scripts and that's the reason I fire up one on each trigger because the can be changed to your needs.

The /usr/local/bin is a valid point it's just been taken by checkinstall from the Makefile if nothing unique is specified

Thank you for brain storming this with me and for your two cents that's important :)

RG
    These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post:
    y2i (Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:58 pm)

mad_ady
    ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:52 pm

One way of getting "main" interface name is to ask the routing table where traffic flows through (though networking needs to be up:

adrianp@aldebaran64:~$ ip route get 8.8.8.8 | cut -d ' ' -f 5 | head -1
    eth0
    These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
    AreaScout (Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:21 pm)

AreaScout
    H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell

Unread post by AreaScout » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 pm

mad_ady wrote:
    Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:52 pm
    One way of getting "main" interface name is to ask the routing table where traffic flows through (though networking needs to be up:

adrianp@aldebaran64:~$ ip route get 8.8.8.8 | cut -d ' ' -f 5 | head -1
    eth0
    Thanks for the tip mad_ady :)

y2i

Unread post by y2i » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm

RG, thank you for moving to the configuration file in cloudshell2-monitoring_1.0.12-1_armhf.deb! It is well documented, which makes it easy to modify.

Return to “CloudShell”