ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
VonViVant
languages_spoken: Spanish
ODROIDs: Xu3 - Xu4

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread post by VonViVant » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 am

Hello
Any one has change the frot end? i want to run another, like emulation station or retropie

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:05 pm

you can start emulationstation from the desktop (already pre-installed) or you can use Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo also on the Desktop to set your default frontend to ES for example.
There is no frontend called "retropie" though.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

hansolo77
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by hansolo77 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 am

Hello! I'm just wanting to drop in here and say hi! I've been playing around with a Raspberry Pi 3 for a few years running RetroPie. I've gotten pretty familiar with the basic way things work on it. I've even written a few scripts. But I started feeling a little unimpressed with the power and performance of the Pi3, so I did some research and decided to buy an Odroid XU4! I'm eager to put RetroPie on it and see what I can do. But I've ran into some snags. So I'm going to try going with your prebuilt image as a start. Right now, my plans are to have everything OS side running on an eMMC card. All of the software stuff, like ROMS and all the artwork like boxart and video previews, I intend to have on a hard drive. I see you've already indicated in the OP how to do this. I will mostly likely be using the FSTAB method. It's the easiest. I had a few questions though, and didn't want to read through almost 40 pages of progress..

I have a theme I'd like to use for EmulationStation. Can I just drop that in there like on the Pi and select it from the ES menu, or does it require modifying? I imagine the paths might be a little different. I'm just curious.

Is there support for video previews? When I first tried running through the process of doing this on my own, I ran into a problem where I could have the audio playing from the previews, but the video wasn't there. Instead, I got text printing on my screen telling me it was an unsupported format. I thought this might be caused by a codec issue or the fact that I didn't have a necessary program installed to run it. Is that all taken care of already?

I think that's the 2 biggest issues I had with my first attempt. The last concern I have is about the Desktop environment. I saw some youtube videos where it looks like the boot up goes directly to the desktop, and then you have to choose what to run with a mouse. That's nice and all, but I'm really looking for a "controller-only" experience. Is there a way to do that with this build? I saw you have EmulationStation available as a front end, but can I boot into that? And if need be, can I exit it to get to the Desktop?

Anyway, sorry for going on and on. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions before I get started. I'm in this for the long haul. I just had surgery and have a lot of free time on my hands while I recover. All these questions I ask I can probably figure out on my own by just doing it. Looks like a great project!

Oh, one last thing. It doesn't look like the OP has been updated since 2016. Is the OS still running on Debian Jessie or are we running Stretch with "almost" Kodi 18 support?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 am

hansolo77 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 am
I have a theme I'd like to use for EmulationStation. Can I just drop that in there like on the Pi and select it from the ES menu, or does it require modifying? I imagine the paths might be a little different. I'm just curious.
Themes go into /etc/emulationstation/themes, not sure if $HOME/.emulationstation/themes is supported as well, but I wouldn't count on it.
hansolo77 wrote:
Is there support for video previews? When I first tried running through the process of doing this on my own, I ran into a problem where I could have the audio playing from the previews, but the video wasn't there. Instead, I got text printing on my screen telling me it was an unsupported format. I thought this might be caused by a codec issue or the fact that I didn't have a necessary program installed to run it. Is that all taken care of already?
Not sure about EmulationStation and video previews. I had some issues with that, why it was working for others.
RCB and Attract Mode video previews are working though.
hansolo77 wrote:
I think that's the 2 biggest issues I had with my first attempt. The last concern I have is about the Desktop environment. I saw some youtube videos where it looks like the boot up goes directly to the desktop, and then you have to choose what to run with a mouse.
Per default it boots into Kodi and (at least in the past) it was fully controllable with a Xbox 360 controller for example, but I'm not sure with the latest versions of Kodi, I've long stopped using it like that.
hansolo77 wrote:
That's nice and all, but I'm really looking for a "controller-only" experience. Is there a way to do that with this build?
Yes that's possible, but if you're only interested in retro "console" gaming you might want to check out ORA or RetroPie directly for the XU4, as they are probably better suited for this task.
The advantage of this image is the versatility of the image, switching between desktop applications like web browser, entertainment like kodi/clementine, using it as a development platform, using it for games like Homeworld, Revolt, Jedi Knight 2+3, FreeSpace 1+2, and other games not available on other systems, as well as retro console gaming.
But if you're only interested in retro consoles, other images are probably easier to use for you.
hansolo77 wrote:
I saw you have EmulationStation available as a front end, but can I boot into that? And if need be, can I exit it to get to the Desktop?
Yes to both, there is a setup tool on the desktop that allows you to choose your default frontend, or to disable a frontend all together.
And if you exit the frontend you're on the desktop.
hansolo77 wrote:
Oh, one last thing. It doesn't look like the OP has been updated since 2016. Is the OS still running on Debian Jessie or are we running Stretch with "almost" Kodi 18 support?
The OP has been updated, but since I'm moderator on the forums, my changes are no longer shown.
It's still based on Debian Jessie though, I'm working on Debian Stretch replacement, but as I'm just one person and have literally thousands of packages that I maintain, it's a very slow process.
Most parts are already available for Debian Stretch by now, but I haven't had the time to create a new image based on Stretch yet.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:19 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm having a minor (yet serious) problem. I can't seem to get the odroid to connect to wifi. I know the devices work together because when I got it it came with Ubuntu (not sure what version) installed already and it had MATE. I was able to connect with that just fine. Is there a driver compatibility issue because this is based on debian?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am

Debian or Ubuntu has not much to do with it, but it could be that either the firmware drivers for your WLAN is not yet installed, or that the drivers are not part of the Kernel.
Ubuntu uses Kernel 4.14 this image uses Kernel 3.10 as Kernel 3.10 has better performance in some cases.
Still there are many DKMS modules available for different WLAN modules.
What WLAN device do you have?

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 am

The one I'm using is the one that I ordered with my odroid from hardkernel:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/wifi-module-5a/

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:18 pm

hansolo77 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 am
The one I'm using is the one that I ordered with my odroid from hardkernel:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/wifi-module-5a/
Well that's a new one, I haven't tested that one yet.
But it says its a RTL8811AU.
I've checked around the internet and apparently the RTL8812AU driver should have support for RTL8811AU as well.
Can you try installing the DKMS module:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install rtl8812au-dkms
also can you give me the output of lsusb (you might have to installl usbutils first same as above command).
So I can check for the Vendor and Product ID of the WiFi Module.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 am

Thanks for the support offer. To be honest, I have to take a break from this. My surgery (hernia repair) was really painful and recovery has been tough. I tried fixing this on my own but couldn't figure it out. So I just took the route (temporarily) to use the wired ethernet. I tried playing around a bit with the rest of the system. I can't figure out where you keep the gamelists for EmulationStation. I started with FBA. I have a full set already scraped with art and preview videos. I know the paths in my current gamelist needed updated because of your new folder structure, but I couldn't figure out where to put it. When ES booted, it found the roms in the FBA folder but it didn't load the gamelist, so there were no videos. I was able to get my skin installed though so that's a plus. Another issue I had was with my RetroArch. Since this isn't RetroPie, the "RetroPie" menu wasn't available in ES. So I had no way to access RetroArch to configure it. You probably have a link to it in the Desktop but I was too tried and sore last night to keep messing with it. So I unfortunately gave up to early and reformatted my eMMC to put a different build on ("TheRA" from odroidarena.com). I've not messed with it yet though. But it looks like it is just a direct port rather than all fancy. To be honest, I'd much rather prefer using your system since it looks like a lot of underlying system has been tweaked specifically for the XU4. There's probably less I need to do to make it work than I would just a fundamental build. When I'm feeling better, perhaps later today, I'll try working on this again.

In the interim, without doing all the work for me (lol), can you help with a few of my issues I had? Does your version support prebuilt gamelist.xml files and if so where do I put them? Is there a way to access RetroArch directly so I can configure certain features (change exit keys, access RA from within game, configure RetroAchievements, etc)?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:32 am

hansolo77 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 am
Since this isn't RetroPie, the "RetroPie" menu wasn't available in ES. So I had no way to access RetroArch to configure it.
Either start retroarch directly (can be done from the desktop), or run any game and simply press Shift + F1 or SELECT + X on your gamepad.
hansolo77 wrote:
In the interim, without doing all the work for me (lol), can you help with a few of my issues I had? Does your version support prebuilt gamelist.xml files and if so where do I put them?
As it's a copy of the version from RetroPie it should support gamelists as well. The default folder for emulationstation is /home/odroid/.emulationstation/ where you probably find all the folders you're used to.
I personally don't like EmulationStation much. It has a lot of issues and the original developer abandoned the project many years ago.
The project was completely dead until the RetroPie project picked it up.
In fact most of the features that are "new" to EmulationStation (video preview and such things) existed in other frontends (RCB / Attract modes) for a very long time, but were only implemented to EmulationStation about a year ago or so.
hansolo77 wrote:
Is there a way to access RetroArch directly so I can configure certain features (change exit keys, access RA from within game, configure RetroAchievements, etc)?
All these things are already configured, similar to what is available in RetroPie you can find the key mapping here:
viewtopic.php?p=226065#p226065
Not sure about RetroAchievements, never used them.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:29 am

meveric wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:18 pm
Can you try installing the DKMS module:

sudo apt-get install rtl8812au-dkms
This doesn't work. I tried running the command and it downloaded/installed whatever but the device still doesn't work. I even tried rebooting.
also can you give me the output of lsusb (you might have to installl usbutils first same as above command).
So I can check for the Vendor and Product ID of the WiFi Module.
The results of my lsusb:

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0616 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:a811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
The Nano Transceiver is for my keyboard/mouse. The Wifi dongle is apparently Device #6. Should I create a new thread instead of building on this announcement one?

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 am

hansolo77 wrote:Thanks for the support offer. To be honest, I have to take a break from this. My surgery (hernia repair) was really painful and recovery has been tough.
OT but I hope you get well soon.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 am

rooted wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 am
hansolo77 wrote:Thanks for the support offer. To be honest, I have to take a break from this. My surgery (hernia repair) was really painful and recovery has been tough.
OT but I hope you get well soon.
Thanks :) I'm actually going to post a new thread to make things easier.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:58 am

apparently you use a different device:
hansolo77 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:29 am

This seems to be a RTL8152 WiFi module, which is a total different from what is said to be the WiFi Module 5a from HardKernel.
https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_RTL8152.html

There seems to be a second device:
hansolo77 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:29 am

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:a811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Which seems to be the one from HardKernel that we were talking about.
I checked the code of rtl8812au-dkms and it seems although the driver for the device is in the DKMS module it's disabled by default.
There is a switched called CONFIG_RTL8821A which by default is "n" and not build, if this would be switched to "y" instead it might work.
If you edit the Makefile under /usr/src/rtl8812au-5.2.20.2/ and then do a dpkg-reconfigure rtl8812au-dkms it might work, but I haven't tried it yet.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 am

I had a feeling that multiple "Realtek" entries in lsusb might have something to do with it. I don't know where that other device is coming from. When I have only the keyboard/mouse dongle plugged in, my lsusb looks like this:

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0616 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Somethings amiss here. Unless that 8153 is the LAN RJ45? Also, I'm not sure what all the hubs are, especially the Genesys Logic ones. But I'm also not familiar with this device's hardware yet, so who knows?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:16 am

Yes I think the first realtek adapter could be the LAN device.
The Genesis Logic Hubs, are internal hubs for the USB ports I believe and you can ignore them.

hansolo77

Unread post by hansolo77 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 am

I'm re-writng my OS card so I can start from scratch again. I found a few online forums with people talking about this dongle having driver issues and tried out various methods of downloading gits and compiling installers, etc. My system is a mess now. So I'm starting over again. In the mean while, I've created a new thread for my specific build here, so we can followup there instead of flooding your thread.

johndowe
ODROIDs: U2 x1 C2 x4 XU4 x3

Unread post by johndowe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 am

1. Absolutly amazing work! You always have the best code for our boards!

That being said I was thinking of giving the OGST a go and I was wondering about the ROM browser for kodi. If you add in your roms, where does all that meta data get stored? And is it configurable?

Mind.

Blowing.

Thanks for it all!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:02 pm

johndowe wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 am
I was wondering about the ROM browser for kodi. If you add in your roms, where does all that meta data get stored? And is it configurable?
In several different locations.
1. each game gets an .nfo file with the name of the game which houses the description, publisher and that kind of things
2. there will be several subfolders inside the ROMS folder of the emulator, for example under SNES you will find folders such as:
boxback, boxfront, cartridge, fanart, screenshot and if you upload it manually you can even store video snaps in the "VideoSnaps" folder.
3. Aside from that RCB stores all the data separately in a sqlite datbase called MyGames.db which can be found: /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.games.rom.collection.browser/
This can be changed for each emulator individually, either in the config.xml (in the same folder) or by configuring the RCB inside of Kodi.

So Solid Jedi
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread post by So Solid Jedi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:44 am

Hi, so i ran the update && upgrade script earlier today in the mate desktop, took awhile to complete 😏 i noticed an error, something about hardlink couldnt be created/updated or something? Another issue, my xu4 ogst front display isn't powering? I plug it from the board microusb to the xu4 usb 3.0 port? Could it be an issue with one of those usb 3.0 ports? By the default cfg is the ogst's display just used for running when Gamestation is running or for other applications running e.g. Kodi/RetroArch etc.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:11 am

So Solid Jedi wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:44 am
i noticed an error, something about hardlink couldnt be created/updated or something?
That's normal and can be ignored, this is due to the fact that the boot partitions is a fat partition which does not support hard-links... no big deal though, just ignore it.
So Solid Jedi wrote:
Another issue, my xu4 ogst front display isn't powering?
Not automatically, you have to activate it first with the "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" tool on the Desktop.
So Solid Jedi wrote:
By the default cfg is the ogst's display just used for running when Gamestation is running or for other applications running e.g. Kodi/RetroArch etc.
By default the display is not running at all, as the image can be used without (and was created long before) the LCD Display Case.
When you activate it via the tool that I mentioned earlier, it should show a tiny animated logo whenever you boot up the system and when you exit an Emulator.
When you start an emulator, something related to the system you selected will be shown, like the boot logo, or waiting screen, or some games the system is known for.
In rare cases it will show a simple standing picture.
Some examples what can be seen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-60apG83EzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qJznmcKhEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFzaTmHPSVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdykLxac1o

johndowe
ODROIDs: U2 x1 C2 x4 XU4 x3

Unread post by johndowe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:58 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:02 pm
johndowe wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 am
I was wondering about the ROM browser for kodi. If you add in your roms, where does all that meta data get stored? And is it configurable?
In several different locations.
1. each game gets an .nfo file with the name of the game which houses the description, publisher and that kind of things
2. there will be several subfolders inside the ROMS folder of the emulator, for example under SNES you will find folders such as:
boxback, boxfront, cartridge, fanart, screenshot and if you upload it manually you can even store video snaps in the "VideoSnaps" folder.
3. Aside from that RCB stores all the data separately in a sqlite datbase called MyGames.db which can be found: /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.games.rom.collection.browser/
This can be changed for each emulator individually, either in the config.xml (in the same folder) or by configuring the RCB inside of Kodi.
ah perfecto! So in other words, the rom's associated info stays with the roms so I can use my nfs shares like I'm doing with ES.

Thank you!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 pm

yes, you can do that :)

Return to “OGST-XU4”