[SOLVED] - Odroid XU4Q - Frequent restarts

pat2
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4Q

[SOLVED] - Odroid XU4Q - Frequent restarts

Unread post by pat2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi,

I recently bought an Odroid XU4Q (only the board) on Amazon sold by a spanish seller. To supply the board I'm using a 5V-10A PSU (a chinese swithing PSU).

I tried with the most recent 18.04 and 16.04 Ubuntu OS. The issue is that I have frequent restarts of the board: the board turns off and restarts.
It happens especially when I'm using youtube with chrome: as the the video starts, the board turns off and restart. It seems that when the board needs more CPU (and probably more power), the board shutdowns.
It's very frustrating. Do you think that is a bad board or could it be anything different?
I tried different good quality SD cards too . The same issue.
I bought another different 5V-10A PSU (MeanWell, RS-50-5 ). It will arrive tomorrow. I will tell you.

Do you think it's a bad board? or only a bad PSU? Are you aware about such annoying behaviours for XU4 boards?

thanks
Last edited by pat2 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

rooted

Re: Odroid XU4Q - Frequent restart

Unread post by rooted » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Sounds like a bad power supply, if you still have the issue with the new supply it can be diagnosed further.

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 am

Thanks a lot. Tomorrow it will arrive a different one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00MWQ ... UTF8&psc=1

I will report you if anything will change. Differently I will return back the odroid xu board to the seller. I would be sorry since the Odroid xu board appears faster compared with my current one, a Radxa Pro (on which I'm running a website and Zoneminder for IPCAM home surveillance).

I'm new for Odroid xu boards and not so a strong expert on linux. Please could you suggest me some script or tool (easy to install) to monitor the frequency and temperature for all CPUs?
I will check if anything happens before the shutdown. The shutdown is systematic: as the video starts, after few ms thes system crashes and reboots.

I will report you tomorrow.
thanks

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:30 am

You have to measure the voltage of 5Volt rail on the 30pin header with a DMM.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/hard ... connectors
It must be very stable at 4.8Volt at least.

You can monitor 4 big CPUs and GPU temperature with this command. There are five temperature sensors in the SoC.

Code: Select all

odroid@odroid:~$ cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp            
56000                                                                           
59000                                                                           
58000                                                                           
57000                                                                           
This is for CPU frequency.

odroid@odroid:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:16 pm

oh, great insight. Thanks a lot. I will do today in the evening after work when the new new PSU will arrive. And I will report.

Preliminarly I could say that, thinking it was an issue related to power supply, I mounted a big cap in parallel to the power supply output.
The behaviour of the XU board increased (there is too a crash, but not immediate, after 10-20 seconds), so I argued it should be not a matter of sw incompatibility with hw.
Since a big cap, I hoped for a definitive stabilization, not only 10-20 seconds more... :-(

Anyway I understood the pins and the voltage to be tested and i will report to you.
thanks a lot for support.

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:38 am

Hi guys, arrived the new PSU. Unfortunately there is the same issue with the new PSU too. As opened Chromium, the board crashes. I tried with 2 good quality SD cards.
I tried with 2 different power supplier. I tried with 2 different OSs (the last 16.04 and the last 18.04 Ubuntu) provided by the wiki web site. all the possible combinations.... :-(

I checked with my DMM: for each crash no drop voltage is displayed. Voltage remains 5V.
I asked to return back the board to the seller through Amazon. Do you have reccomendation/test I could do in the meanwhile? According to Amazon policy I have to wait 2 days for the answer of the seller.

Second question: could you suggest me a cheap and good quality seller to buy the board on the www? I'm in italy. Thanks

regards

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 am

The voltage must be varying from 4.8~5.2volt in the booting process.
Can you double check the range of varying voltage with your DMM more carefully?

BTW, did you flash this OS image with Etcher?
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... 4/20181203

We have some distributors in Europe.
https://www.hardkernel.com/distributors/

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks, Odroid. I will do and report.
Yes, I used Etcher. I found it nice since uncompressing on the fly and validating.

Thnask for the list.

regards

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 am

hi, i tested. Voltage remains stable at 5V along all the startup and till the crash. Also during crash it remains stable at 5V DC.
So, it's not a matter of power supplier (since that's the second power supplier) and probably not related to voltage (since remains stable at 5V DC along all startup, during usage, during crash and after crash).
So, probably the board is broken.

That's the result for temperature:

root@odroid:/home/odroid# cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp  
That's the result for frequency:

root@odroid:/home/odroid# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
do you see anything strange? do you suggest any other test?
thanks a lot
best regards

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 am

The temperature and frequency looks fine.

Did you measure the voltage on 5V rail on the XU4 30pin header?
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/hard ... connectors
Is it really 5.00Volt constantly?

Which DC plug and cable do you use?
You have to use a good quality cable to avoid voltage drops.
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=29158

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:02 pm

thanks, odroid, probably I'm a fucking stupid stupid newbie...i will confirm...

i will explain well in my next post....your last post probably solved...issue are cables and the fact I did voltage measurement not on pins (downstream) but after supplier (upstream)...and you recommended me two times the pins.... fucking stupid newbie.... the issue is I'm 54 old and difficult to go on pins since the tremors of my hands....
i will report better if solved...also because it could be useful for other fucking stupid newbie like me...
thanks a lot odroid...i will report you

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm

pat2 wrote:thanks, odroid, probably I'm a fucking stupid stupid newbie...i will confirm...

i will explain well in my next post....your last post probably solved...issue are cables and the fact I did voltage measurement not on pins (downstream) but after supplier (upstream)...and you recommended me two times the pins.... fucking stupid newbie.... the issue is I'm 54 old and difficult to go on pins since the tremors of my hands....
i will report better if solved...also because it could be useful for other fucking stupid newbie like me...
thanks a lot odroid...i will report you
Since you have tremors you may want to connect a jumper wire to the 5v pin while the device is not powered to prevent shorting.

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm

:-) thanks, rooted, I thought the same. My fear was exactly to prevent shorting...I went at work today early and so I did a fast test:

- upstream (after power supplier) voltage was 5 DC stable
- downstream (on pins) voltage was varying a lot: decreasing till 4.3V!!! i don't know if due to tremors or a voltage drop or both :-) but the fast workaround was increase the upstream voltage to 5.3 DC (i didn't want to exagerate...could I increase more?5.5 only to test?) and so magically I was able to open Chromium without crash and to open youtube in chromium withou crash.
so that's the reason I cannot be currently definitive, but I have to test after work...

i had the stupid idea to go exactly how the guy mentioned in the post of odroid: a mean well switching power supplier and the same cables (exactly the same!! :-)) used by the guy of the post:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00MWQ ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XY5 ... UTF8&psc=1

....what could i tell I'm a stupid newbie...anyway i will report you it could be helpful for others newbie...

Another strange thing I noticed, probably due to the fact the first startup (you know that the first time you have to start 2 times) is not completed well is: when I ask sudo apt upgrade i get an error

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
probably due to the fact the first start is not correctly completed due to voltage drop...anyway i have to test during week end. My curiosity: what's the elapsed time for first start? in my case 2-3 seconds...is it usual or too little (due to voltage drop)?
proably the best idea is to buy a standard 5V/6A supplier by odroid distributor...

anyway, thanks a lot to you rooted and odroid too...

pat2

Re: [SOLVED] - Odroid XU4Q - Frequent restart

Unread post by pat2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:06 am

Hi guys, thanks to all of you. SOLVED. And UNDERSTOOD.
The cable I bought is for signal (too little section), not for power. So, the voltage drop is high at the barrel even if the cable short.

Odroid, you have right: on the pins the voltage varyes a lot. Putting 5,38 VDC as no-load voltage, on pins the voltage arrives to a minimum of 4.66.
Fortunately without crash of the board. Solved temporarly: increasing no-load voltage at 5,38 and putting a big cap on pins 1-2. Since elettrolityc cap, pls pay attention to the polarity.

Rooted, i solved the issue related to hand tremors. Pls, see attached picture :-) I mounted an elettrolytic big cap and using caps leg and paper to fix the tips of DMM preventing shorting. :-)

Anyway thanks to all.
For newbies (like me! :D ):
1. use the power suppliers provided by hardkernel distributors
2. or buy a good power supplier (meanwell is good) and use good power supply cables from power supplier to board
THANKS
Attachments
odroid2.jpg
odroid2.jpg (157.7 KiB) Viewed 637 times

rooted

Re: [SOLVED] - Odroid XU4Q - Frequent restarts

Unread post by rooted » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:03 am

By looking at your power wire I would say it may not be large enough, in the future if you have another problem try using a power wire with more copper.

Glad you got it sorted

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Thanks, rooted. That's increbile: the only thing, I neglected (i.e. cables), betrayed me :-)

I'm playing now with the board with no more issue. Really very fast respect to my Radxa board (that is 2-3 times faster than PI). In the next days I will move all services from Radxa to Odroid: NAS, DLNA, website, Zoneminder.

I found a not stable networking LAN behaviour of 18.04 on Odroid XU4 (it's possible to ping the Odroid board from ubuntu systems in my LAN (i.e. the radxa board), not possible from windows systems: it tells unreachable, so the board cannot be reached by ssh or vnc client on windows).
Moreover possible to ping Ubuntu systems from Odroid, not possible to ping Windows or others (i.e IPCAMs), so IPCAMs resulting not visible from Odroid.
Probably depending on not perfectly solved issues moving Odroid to 18.04 or 18.04 not mature.
I will check better in the future if depending by my infrastructure or other. Eventually I will open a post.
Anyway passed to 16.04 (the last image on dec 2017)....and all working fine. Really a strong board.

Thanks again for your support. Really a beatiful forum. My compliments.

EDIT: a little update. They were definitively the cables. I build a self made connector with a barrel and a cable of mine with a proper section. So, without the cap on pins and decreasing the no-load voltage of power supplier at 5,2V, the voltage on pins remains greater of 5V.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 am

Glad to hear you solved the issue with a hand-made DC cable finally.
In 1827 Georg Simon Ohm discovered some laws relating to the strength of a current in a wire.
We call it "Ohm's law". :D

Please consider using Ubuntu 18.04. Open a new thread and we will help you to resolve the network related issue.

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:05 pm

:-) Thanks
bye

pat2

Unread post by pat2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:01 am

Hi Odroid,
a little update to close the last issue I was mentioning on 18.04. So, giving to the board an adequate power supply the network issue disappeared on 18.04! :-)
So there is no need to open a new post. And currently I'm on 18.04.
Thanks a lot again.
Last edited by pat2 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:56 am

Good stuff, thanks for letting us know.

Return to “General Topics”