Odroid XU4 shutdown due to overheating, probably half-broken temperature sensor

Jonniboy
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU4
Been thanked: 0

Odroid XU4 shutdown due to overheating, probably half-broken temperature sensor

Unread post by Jonniboy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Hey,

my Odroid XU4 shuts down pretty randomly due to a broken temperature sensor (at least I think so). Normally the current kernel detects broken temperature sensors but unfortunately the sensor is not completely broken and does not output such high temperatures so the kernel detects it as broken.

It's the thermal zone 0. Normally it works fine and outputs 30-40 °C, but apparently sometimes it detects spikes which are 120-140 °C in middle of the normal results, which are very unlikely to be the reality since the Odroid has nearly no stress and is cooled by a Bequit 80mm fan instead of the normal one. And such jumping values should not be possible as well. But it triggers the overheating protection and the Odroid shuts down to prevent damages.

Is this really the only cause you could think of? And how can I fix it?
Maybe there is some kernel setting to I can turn off shutdown on overheating, or set the detection threshold lower (something like 110 °C).

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Jonniboy

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Re: Odroid XU4 shutdown due to overheating, probably half-broken temperature sensor

Unread post by rooted » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:15 am

Update the kernel

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Jonniboy

Re: Odroid XU4 shutdown due to overheating, probably half-broken temperature sensor

Unread post by Jonniboy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:58 am

Thanks for your answer. Okay, maybe I wasn't specific enough. The system is already up to date, I even set it up again completely from scratch before.

I'm using the pre-built Ubuntu Mate 18.04 image (this one: https://odroid.in/ubuntu_18.04lts/ubunt ... 203.img.xz) and it's often kinda hard to update anything because sometimes the Odroid shuts down in 5 minutes, sometimes 5 seconds, sometimes half an hour.

I tried setting another CPU governor already, I think it was from "performance" to "conservative" or something like that, with lower frequencies as well. I think it helped a bit, increasing the uptime before shutdown. Sometimes it ran more than 24 hours perfectly fine. But it's still pretty annoying and random.

Do you've any other idea? Or do you suggest another image with a better kernel (otherwise I can't imagine why you would suggest updating the kernel)? Actually I'm not that bond to one specific distribution, as long as I can use it as a mostly headless server, it's enough.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:45 am

The reason I suggested updating the kernel is due to this issue, there was a previous bug that was resolved.

Since you are updated I'm guessing some type of hardware issue. Has there been any severe weather right before this issue?

*edit*

You could fake the temperature of 0, you of course know this would affect proper throttle behavior. (with a broken sensor it is already affected)

Code: Select all

echo 45000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/emul_temp

These users thanked the author rooted for the post:
Jonniboy (Sat May 25, 2019 4:55 am)

Jonniboy

Unread post by Jonniboy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:57 am

I think that's a hardware issue as well, probably the temperature sensor or the ADC for this specific task is just broken. No no, it wasn't striked by a lightning or something, and I use a rather quality power supply (rated 5V 4A, I don't have the original power supply though).
The question then is, can I still continue using my Odroid somehow? Maybe some kernel setting or boot.ini option?

Because other than shutting down randomly due to overheat detection it runs pretty smooth, and it would be sad to declare it as garbage.

EDIT: Thanks, will try that soon. I wouldn't care too much if this really works. If I really go into throttling issues, I could write my own script skipping the false-alerting temperatures and so on.
Last edited by Jonniboy on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 am

Add the line above to a start-up file, but test that it works first in a terminal.

If you have active cooling you will likely need to set the temperature to the first trip point so the fan runs on low all the time.

Jonniboy

Unread post by Jonniboy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks man, this could really work. Didn't know of the emulation feature for the temperature sensors.
The thing is, I've a Bequit 80mm USB fan running all the time on full power which cools significantly better than the built-on fan. That's why I once disconnected the fan because fan blowing in fan is kind of useless. But the issues began before I disconnected the fan.

Did install the new fan because I initially thought that it really overheats, which turned out to not be the case at all (idling, temperatures 30-40°C etc. but still shuts down, and the spikes I discovered with logging the temp files which make no sense). So I don't expect to overheat. And if it does, there are the other temperature sensors left.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:27 am

Since you have an external fan this should work fine.

asdil12
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by asdil12 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 pm

I am experiencing a similar issue and it didn't go away even after I manually set the case and CPU fan to permanent maximum speed.

Was the problem fixed for you by using the themperatur emulation feature?

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat May 25, 2019 12:24 am

It will work, just try it.

Jonniboy

Unread post by Jonniboy » Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 am

Yes, the emulation feature works. Unfortunately my second temperature sensor also stopped working properly, but you can emulate multiple temperature sensors (although I don't recommend emulating all, since then you've no overheating protection anymore).

One of my biggest problems with that was though, that the Odroid shut down faster than I could login via SSH and copy paste the command. That's why once I achieved logging into it once, I added the emulation commands to /etc/rc.local so it executes directly at startup of the system.

Return to “Issues”