C2 useless after updating Open Media Vault

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

C2 useless after updating Open Media Vault

Unread postby elece » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:12 am

Hello. I have an ODROID C2 which I bought to use it with Open Media Vault (OMV). I downloaded the corresponding image and burn it with etcher in the eMMC memory. The problem is that when I update OMV the device becomes useless. I can no longer SSH to it, the HDMI outputs nothing. There is some info already in other forums (see https://forum.armbian.com/topic/6336-odroid-c2-cannot-start-with-u-boot-default-538/, and this https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/21632-Odroid-C2-After-update-i-loss-the-device-from-the-network-can-t-get-it-to-work-p/ but I don't know how to solve it or if there is a solution to update properly. I have narrowed the problem to one (or more than one) of these packages.

-base-files (9.9+deb9u5) stretch: Debian base system miscellaneous files
-linux-dtb-next-odroidc2 5.54. Linux DTB, version 4.17.9-odroidc2 - This package contains device blobs from the Linux kernel, version 4.17.9-odroidc2
-linux-image-next-odroidc2 5.54. Linux kernel, version 4.17.9-odroidc2. This package contains the Linux kernel, modules and corresponding other
files, version: 4.17.9-odroidc2.
-linux-u-boot-odroidc2-next 5.49. Uboot loader 2018.05.

My understanding of kernels, u boot, etc. is obviously minimum, so I need some help figuring out what's happening or who I should contact to fix this. I find it weird that there is no more information online regarding this since I am not doing anything fancy, but installing from scratch OMV and trying to update to the latest version of the packages offered.
Anyway, if you can help, I will be greatly thankful.

Regards
elece

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: c2

Re: C2 useless after updating Open Media Vault

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:54 am

How is the blue LED? Does it flash like a heartbeat?
From OMV4, you need to enable the SSH access from WebUI.

Can you find your C2 IP address with Angry IP scanner?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby elece » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:05 am

After updating the blue led still flashes (at least after updating linux-dtb-next-odroidc2 5.54, it may not updating the others) . What is weird, is that depending on which package of those I mentioned above I update, the C2 gets an IP assigned or not. Either way, I can no longer connect by SSH (which was functional and turned on prior to the update) nor the web interface (the IP never resolves in the browser), even in the case that it has an IP assigned to it.
elece

Unread postby igorpec » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:10 am

elece wrote:The problem is that when I update OMV the device becomes useless.

The problem was fixed. An update should not cause you troubles. If yes, then please report.
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools
igorpec

languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Unread postby elece » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:00 am

Hello Igor. Glad to see you here. Unfortunately the problem persists. I installed OMV from scratch, tried to update, and the c2 became a brick again. I mentioned earlier that the blue led did flash after updating (I tried updating just one of the packages I thought were giving troubles), but after a full update on all packages, now the blue led does not flash anymore. It does get an IP, but can't access via ssh or browser to the system. Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Thanxs
elece

Unread postby igorpec » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:56 pm

Then this might not be related to kernel / u-boot since their upgrading was removed. Some console logs would help ... I dont have access to hardware until next week. Cant really do much until then. One alternative option is to use 3.16.y based CLI stretch image and install OMV with armbian-config
igorpec

Unread postby elece » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 am

Ok, I will wait for you to make further testings with the actual hardware. I can't give you any logs or debugging info since I can no longer access the device and I don't any UART kit. I will try your suggestion of installing 3.16.y and OMV from the CLI.
elece

Unread postby igorpec » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:28 pm

elece wrote:Ok, I will wait for you to make further testings with the actual hardware. I can't give you any logs or debugging info since I can no longer access the device and I don't any UART kit. I will try your suggestion of installing 3.16.y and OMV from the CLI.

Fixed and I made a double test. With SD card and eMMC.
igorpec

Unread postby elece » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:51 am

Great news. Will try from scratch in a few hours. Thank you for taking a look at this.
elece

Return to Issues