C0 Troubleshooting: progressively worse and now no boot

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

C0 Troubleshooting: progressively worse and now no boot

Unread postby Jason_25 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 pm

I have built a new device based on the C0 and it worked great at first. Then it crashed with a black screen (no alive LED), then it crashed with a blue screen (no alive LED), then it froze with screen corruption when starting xorg (no alive LED), and now it won't try to boot at all. The red light comes on and then nothing else.

I am thinking of ordering an EMMC to see if the problem is with the SD card reader.

As for power, a lithium ion battery is connected and I use a 5.2v charger. With or without the charger it acts the same. The power LED turns on and it uses .13 amps and does nothing else. It does not get to the point of initializing USB so accessory power draw is not a concern either.

Anything else I can try?
Jason_25

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 2 x c2, 3 x c0

Re: C0 Troubleshooting: progressively worse and now no boot

Unread postby rooted » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:00 am

Have you tried a different SD card? Different power?
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Jason_25 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:54 am

Yes I did try different power supplies and sd cards.

I pulled it completely apart and disconnected everything. As I was disconnecting, I could sometimes get it to boot. I also noticed a small buzz coming from the board that changed in volume when I pressed on it. I even snipped the wires I had soldered to the USB pads eventually but this actually made it worse to where it will not boot at all again.

I think the board has a cracked trace, a component loosely soldered from the factory, or bad RAM. None of these are things that I can test.

Now I do not suspect the sd card reader because the soldering to the board looks fine and it looks designed to make a very positive engagement and clean itself and the sd card when you insert it.

Now with absolutely nothing connected except a known good micro sd card, my soldered on i2s connector, and the barrel plug connected to a scientific power supply it will still not boot. I even tried flexing it a few different ways in desperation as I powered on and off with no go.

It is very difficult for me to resolder another board not to mention around 50 dollars and several hours down the drain but that is what I am going to have to do.

I built it perfectly testing each component separately along the way and the core component decided to fail when and only when the entire device was built and working and I had moved on to the next thing.
Jason_25

Unread postby rooted » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 am

Let's wait and see what else someone can think of, you obviously know what your doing and have tested all the common things.

If you have a multimeter you could test the power on the 5v pad for undervoltage.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:55 am

Did you use this Ubuntu 16.04 image?
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c1/os_images/ubuntu/v2.2

Can you measure the voltage of 5V rails on 7pin or 40pin header with a DMM?
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c1/hardware/expansion_connectors
It must be very stable at 4.8Volt or higher if your power supply is okay,
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Jason_25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:35 am

The power supply is fine. 5.2v measured even after the drop at the connector. Other C0 units work just fine with it.

I also lost another C0 yesterday with the failure of the white wire solder pad on one of the USB buses. I cannot solder to it and make a connection anymore. Some engineering discussion begins here. These failures including the non-booting problem are probably more my fault than anything because I find it incredibly difficult sometimes to solder wires to the USB and i2s pads. The larger outer ones on the USB are harder for some reason. I cannot use a USB header because those are too large and I am soldering the wires from a tiny hub directly to the board. Thus the heat from my soldering iron on successive tries finally cooks the board. I have started using a pin header on the i2s and that is easier to solder to. I have experimented with a pin header on the USB but voltage drop from my cellular device is too great for that type of connection. I am driving the cellular device and touchscreen and other devices direct from the 2 onboard USB buses with no powered hub. Thus it is important for the wiring to be as strong and as short as possible.

I just assembled another device with my last spare C0. I soldered quickly and hopefully did not fry the board this time. I have ordered 2 more C0s from Ameridroid but they take a few days to arrive. So we will see if the one I just built works without any problem. The last one took a couple of days to start messing up so I am crossing my fingers. Hopefully when and if that one starts messing up I will have the others in.
Jason_25

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:43 am

What kind of soldering iron/temperature/solder do you use?
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby Jason_25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 am

Thanks for the reply.

I use a Radioshack digital soldering iron (the second design - the red one not the gray one) set to 750 degrees F.
I use this tip I think:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ ... UTF8&psc=1
I use this solder:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G ... UTF8&psc=1

I am cleaning the tip with a wet sponge and still I have a lot of variance as far as how hard it is to solder to small points. I might just need more practice. My reach exceeds my grasp sometimes.
Jason_25

Return to General Chat