ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:34 pm

The image is correct, although I hope to upload a new image soon with a few more updates.
Still from what I remember the Kernel for this image already includes the changes for orange eMMC cards.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby seppx » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:14 am

Hello,
How you can EXIT GAME whit Controller ONLY KEYBOARD (ESC) (My Controller is GameSir) ???

can i help me.

in German
Hallo, wie komme ich aus dem spiel ohne tastatur(ESC)
gibt es eine Anleitung ???

DANKE
THAKS for help
seppx

languages_spoken: german

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:15 am

seppx wrote:Hello,
How you can EXIT GAME whit Controller ONLY KEYBOARD (ESC) (My Controller is GameSir) ???

can i help me.

If you hit the left analog stick it should exit.
But that should change in a little bit.
I'm currently updating all the configurations for controllers to use a similar layout like RetroPi.
I hope to upload this soon together with some extra tools and changes.

seppx wrote:in German
Hallo, wie komme ich aus dem spiel ohne tastatur(ESC)
gibt es eine Anleitung ???

DANKE
THAKS for help

Normalerweise sollte er den emulator beenden wenn Du die den linken analog stick pressen tust.
Aber bin mir nicht ganz sicher ob das mit dem GameSir G3w funktioniert, am besten funktioniert es mit XBox 360 controllers.
Abgesehen davon will ich in den nächsten Tagen ein update hochladen was dann eine ähnliche Belegung wie bei RetroPi hat (sprich Du kannst dann mit Select + Start den Emulator beenden).
Aber das werde ich dann noch ankündigen wenn es soweit ist.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby erick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:52 pm

meveric wrote:The image is correct, although I hope to upload a new image soon with a few more updates.
Still from what I remember the Kernel for this image already includes the changes for orange eMMC cards.

Understood, I followed the steps to perform an eMMC Boot recovery and successfully confirmed Android 4.4 booted up on the XU4.

I then used the USB 3.0 Transcend microSD adapter with the eMMC-microSD card adapter to flash the uncompressed image onto the eMMC card. Nonetheless, the results were the same as before with a blank screen and the fan eventually turning off (after a restart).

From the odroid wiki, I've read the following...
If you want to use the Orange eMMC with XU4 platforms stably, the Kernel version must be higher than 4.9.58 or 4.14.6. - Reference Chart

Am I out of options with trying to successfully install/boot OGST from the orange eMMC card?

It seems odd that HardKernel would sell/provide eMMC cards that can't be properly imaged with prior OS versions.
erick

languages_spoken: Ingles
ODROIDs: UX4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Well as you can see from the Reference Chart my image is listed there as it was tested with the orange cards and found working.
So I wonder why it suddenly shouldn't be working anymore.
In fact I currently run my system off a orange eMMC as well without having any issue.
meveric

Unread postby erick » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:57 am

Are there other steps I should follow to ensure the image works with the orange eMMC card?

I imagine performing the boot recovery should help ensure the card is partitioned correctly; and then simply using Etcher to burn the OGST image?
erick

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 am

There are two parts that "might" be involved.. one is the Kernel which should be fine, the other is the uboot.
Later should be fine with the eMMC recovery but to be honest I don't even know if a special uboot is required for the image to work, or if the Kernel is all that's needed.
I already started working on the new image, and although I don't have all the changes on it that I want, it should be enough for a new version, so I'm gonna upload the new version today which should be available later tonight or tomorrow.
Still I'm not sure if that will change anything, but probably worth a try.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Update:
I've just uploaded a new image with some minor changes.

• first boot should be a lot faster than before, no longer waiting several minutes for the first reboot
  • installed all updates up to today (2018-06-19)
    includes changes for OGST Console Kit which can now directly activated from within "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" on the desktop
    It should also make sure the first update of the image doesn't take "forever" anymore.
  • added new controller hotkey mapping for retroarch similar to RetroPi
    Code: Select all
    - Hotkey                        -> SELECT
    - Exit                          -> SELECT + START
    - Save                          -> SELECT + Right Shoulder
    - Load                          -> SELECT + Left Shoulder
    - Next Save State Slot          -> SELECT + Right
    - Previous Save State Slot      -> SELECT + Left
    - Menu                          -> SELECT + X
    - Reset                         -> SELECT + B
    - Eject/Insert Disk             -> SELECT + R3
    - Next Disk                     -> SELECT + R2
    - Previous Disk                 -> SELECT + L2
  • added an option to "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" to add your controller in case it is not known to retroarch.
  • several minor bugfixes and improvements
    Please Check: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5908&start=450 and following pages for infos about latest updates

All updates are also available as "updates" if you already have an image up and running you only need to do a system upgrade and don't need to flash a new image.
meveric

Unread postby gounthar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Great, thanks, I will give it a try next week-end.
gounthar

languages_spoken: french

Unread postby crooked » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 am

just searching through the thread for Krypton info;

Is this working or not suggested?

the main issue now is many of the popular streaming apps are losing sources on Jarvis.
Something to do with the new scraping of sources that is being used in Krypton and not supported for Jarvis.

Anyone shed any light here?

thanks
crooked

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:50 pm

it's standing on the first page in the FAQ:
apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:13 am

got it thanks, just need to figure out cec i guess? maybe just needs re setting from the kodi gui.

testing now

thank you
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:16 am

you also need to install libcec4 for Kodi 17 but I never tried it.
apt-get install -t jessie libcec4
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 am

thanks, tried that no dice.

isnt cec always the bane of Kodi/xu4's?

ill keep plugging and using a bluetooth device for now.

thanks Mev
crooked

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm

crooked wrote:thanks, tried that no dice.

isnt cec always the bane of Kodi/xu4's?

ill keep plugging and using a bluetooth device for now.

thanks Mev
Try changing the rights of CEC

sudo chmod 777 /dev/cec
rooted

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:35 pm

rooted wrote:Try changing the rights of CEC

sudo chmod 777 /dev/cec

you don't have to do this it should already have the correct permissions as this is handled by a udev rule.
But check the boot.ini if CEC is activated.
And no on the XU4 the CEC is handled by the driver the C2 was the one with always CEC on no matter what.
meveric

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the information, it would have been worth a shot if not.
rooted

Unread postby crooked » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:25 am

# --- HDMI CEC Configuration ---
# ------------------------------------------
setenv cecenable "true" # false or true
# set to true to enable HDMI CEC

normal?
crooked

Unread postby crooked » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 am

/dev/CEC is 0666 and owned by root.

is that correct or ?
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 am

666 means everyone can read and write so that's fine.
meveric

Unread postby erick » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 am

@meveric - Thank you so much for keeping this project alive and running!

I finally got my hands on another TV and it worked seamlessly to boot up and get things running. I feel my monitor was the culprit, but odd that other images were okay with it.
I'll mess around more with the environment tonight and post back of any questions/issues.
erick

Unread postby VNMan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:15 am

First post here.

So I just tested the Emulation Station with one of my ps3 controller (it is wired) and it is not working within any of the emulators. Note that it is working with Emulation Station after a few tries, so it seems that this image is not working properly with wired PS3 controller.

The questions here are -
How to get ps3 controller to work with this image and Emulation Station? OR do I need to buy a wired Xbox 360 controller?
How about wireless xbox controller? does it work with xbox wireless adapter?
VNMan

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:16 am

I'm mostly using Wireless XBox 360 controllers and they work out of the box with all emulators, as they are pre-configured.
I also use wireless PS3 controllers every now and then and it works fine as well. I haven't tried wired PS3 controller yet and I have to test if the mapping for wired PS3 controller and retroarch is working.
Most of the controller mapping (especially in retroarch) is done by the default configs from the retroarch project. So it's their defaults and nothing I put in there.

Another question would be if you have a genuine PS3 controller or a "reproduction" of any kind, as they have different IDs and act differently as genuine PS3 controllers.

When you start an game and retroarch is started in the lower left corner the name under which the controller is found is listed. Can you give me that name so I can compare config files?
Also if you're using wired PS3 controller lsusb should give you a device ID (vender:product) for the controller it would be helpful to have this ID as well.
meveric

Unread postby VNMan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:49 am

here is the output of lsusb

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0616 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 054c:0268 Sony Corp. Batoh Device / PlayStation 3 Controller
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0603:0002 Novatek Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
VNMan

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:20 am

ok, I just checked with my controller and you're right the wired configuration of the PS3 controller (although present) is totally messed up and doesn't work properly.
The wireless variant works fine though.
The reason for this is that the retroarch autoconfig comes with several config files for the same controller and they are not correct.
I will update the retroarch-odroid package to fix the configuration needed for PS3 controllers and come back to you once it's uploaded.

In the meantime you can do:
cd /usr/share/libretro/autoconfig/udev/
sudo rm ./SHANWAN-PS3-GamePad.cfg ./Gasia_PS_Gamepad_USB.cfg ./SHANWAN\ PS3\ GamePad.cfg

This should fix it.
meveric

Unread postby RobertMame » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:24 am

Just bought my first xu4 with the ogst kit and a blue dot 128 emmc card so I could fit the majority of the games on it. Downloaded the 20180619 img, used etched to burn the uncompressed image. Windows pops up showing me the boot drive with the 9 expected files. Put the card in the xu4 and power on, blue solid then blue flash, fan stops. Cycle power same thing. Flashed android to the disk and it did boot. Reflash to linux and no boot. Please help!
RobertMame

ODROIDs: Xu4 ogst

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:24 pm

blue light flashing means the system booted up normal and kernel is running.
It's also normal that the system reboot once, it does this to resize partitions and do some other first boot tasks.
After that the system should be up and running.
Apparently you don't see anything on your Monitor/TV which is probably the "only" issue and you might have to adjust the boot.ini file to configure your TVs/Monitors capabilities there.

What TV/Monitor are you using? How is it connected (HDMI/DVI-to-HDMI/VGA-to-HDMI, etc.)? What's the native resolution?
meveric

Unread postby RobertMame » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:30 am

You do man, moved it to my 4k TV and display works, guess it just can't autodetect my old monitor. The fan starting and stopping and the display reporting signal/ no signal threw me off. That and a lack of sleep. Sorry to have wasted your time!
RobertMame

Unread postby catan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi guys,
sorry if this question was already ask, but we will see in future a porting of this os also on c2?
Btw Lakka is ok, but i feel that this distro sould be realy interesting.
catan

languages_spoken: Italian
ODROIDs: Odroid C1

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:55 pm

C2 has the issue that it only is arm64 by default and armhf GPU drivers, which causes issues for some emulators, for example N64 or PSX do not support arm64 dynamic recompiler, which makes the C2 rather complicated to work with as you already know it's not working good.
Desktop performance is also not very good and way slower than other ODROIDs, so that is another issue.
meveric

Unread postby memeka » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm

meveric wrote:C2 has the issue that it only is arm64 by default and armhf GPU drivers, which causes issues for some emulators, for example N64 or PSX do not support arm64 dynamic recompiler, which makes the C2 rather complicated to work with as you already know it's not working good.
Desktop performance is also not very good and way slower than other ODROIDs, so that is another issue.

@meveric - it's been quite some time since arm64 is around ... and I see arm64 dynamic recompiler still not working -> do you know if there are plans to have it running soon?
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm

memeka wrote:@meveric - it's been quite some time since arm64 is around ... and I see arm64 dynamic recompiler still not working -> do you know if there are plans to have it running soon?

@twinaphex the main developer of the libretro project gave a statement in the past that arm64 is new for him and that he has to learn how to do arm64 ASM and things like that before he can start going further into adding arm64 support for cores.
That statement is already about 1 or nearly 2 years old and not much has happened in the past, BUT recently I could see some "general" arm64 support: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-co ... /aarch64.c
But that's still not much and only some general optimization for a few functions used in libretro cores.

The emulators used in libretro project normally come from other projects, like mupen64plus, ppsspp or such, and libretro are just variants of the existing emulators, so not much effort is done to add code to a certain core to not strafe to far from the original projects unless the project itself is already dead.

So waiting for libretro to pick up arm64 is probably not gonna happen any time soon, bothering developers of a certain project is probably better.

N64 (mupen64plus) is a near dead project in my opinion, I don't think much will happen here in the near future, PSX on the other is probably possible. Notaz the developer for the pcsx_rearmed project could probably be persuaded to add arm64 support if he has time or help with it.

Generally arm64 support is still really bad.. luajit is still not available for arm64 which causes tons of issues with different programs and games and there's more stuff like this.
ARM support still is bad in some cases (GPU/VPU/X11 support is still a big mess), and to be honest ODROIDs have one of the best support in the ARM world in existing, in some cases even better than RPi (we have more games running than RPi has and there is more to come very soon which will once again be first on ODROIDs and Pandora/Pyra ;))

Will we have arm64 support for N64, PSX and others anytime soon?
Sadly I doubt it. But there is hope for boards like the N1, were armhf and arm64 can run side by side allowing the best of two worlds.
meveric

Unread postby RobertMame » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:28 am

Are there any guides on customizing the game collection browser? I have several thousand games on my 2TB drive and I am only seeing 2k total. I use emulationstation on my pi and launchbox on my PC so I really like being able to browse quickly by system and then by game. Maybe I am missing hot keys, and the documentation on how to use the browser is abysmal. I was going to jump over to emulation station but most of the tools I use with it (from Retropie) are missing. I tried updating with Retropie install script but that killed the system! I reflashed the system back to stock but still not finding all of the games (I am using a symlink to the roms folder on the external drive).

I love the way that screen changes with the games and the power of the xu4 over the pi, I am just having hell trying to get kodi and game collection to look as pretty as my other two systems!
RobertMame

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:40 am

You can always switch to EmulationStation instead of Rom Collection Browser, that should make it easier for you.
It's already pre-installed you just need to start it, or make it your default.

RobertMame wrote:I am using a symlink to the roms folder on the external drive

If the games are in different folders than how they are on my system they won't be found. The layout of my folders and RetroPie is very different.
meveric

Unread postby RobertMame » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 am

Looks like you deviated from the retropie install location of emulationstation. I am trying to get Universal XML Scraper to connect to your odroid build. Once I do that I should be able to scrape successfully and cheat by moving most of my previously downloaded images and videos gamelists from my Pi over.
RobertMame

Unread postby RobertMame » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 am

Yes I used the first post you did for the symlink of the roms folder. I assumed that you set emulation station up to use that same path to ROMS. Did you not? I am not sitting in front of my odroid at the moment.

ln -sf /media/odroid/MyHDD/ROMS /home/odroid/ROMS
RobertMame

Unread postby RobertMame » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 am

I sent you a PM as to not clutter up this thread with my newbie questions.
RobertMame

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:21 am

RobertMame wrote:Looks like you deviated from the retropie install location of emulationstation.

I use the default install location from EmulationStation, RetroPie are the ones that change it.
The folders for EmulationStation is in your user folder under .emulationstation (/home/odroid/.emulationstation/)
meveric

Unread postby Shleee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am

Problem: I've got a XU4 with a fresh install of the latest IMG flashed onto the EMMC card.
The system seems to boot without issue.. but my mouse and keyboard seem to be glitchy using two different kinds of wireless combos - both microsoft USB dongles..

using the keyboard results in characters not being typed if I type too quickly.
moving the mouse fails 70% of the time and it just jumps around

I'm going to try using a wired keyboard/mouse to set this up.. but I'd rather use the wireless unit I have.. maybe I need to setup RDP/VNC instead

Does anybody else have this problem?
Shleee

ODROIDs: too many

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:46 am

If using usb3 port try usb2 or vice versa.
rooted

Unread postby Shleee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 pm

rooted wrote:If using usb3 port try usb2 or vice versa.

I've tried that... switched between the USB ports on the front and the USB on the back. Same problem.

also, the kernel/packages are all updated - but I'm going to try with the 4.14 kernel and see if it improves anything
Shleee

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:29 pm

if you're using WLAN this could be another issue.
I had wireless mouse/keyboard combo that had quite some issue when using 2.4 GHz WLAN.
I generally prefer using LAN instead.
meveric

Unread postby RobertMame » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:48 am

I now have menu's appearing with artwork and descriptions in emulationstation after much XML file auditing. I think I am headed in the right direction at this point.

If I tell it to quit (shutdown or restart machine) Emulation Station closes and 10 seconds later re-launches. I am running the 20180619 image.
RobertMame

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 am

Not sure if the restart or shutdown function works correct in EmulationStation.
There's a watchdog running, a script that watched EmulationStation as itself has a lot of issues under X11.
If you exit a game there is a chance it does not return to ES properly. If that happens the watchdog kills and restarts EmulationStation.
My guess, this happens on restart and shutdown as well.. ES does "something" is still running in the background, and the watchdog kills and restarts it as it things it's in a dead-end (which apparently is true from what you say).
meveric

Unread postby Shleee » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am

meveric wrote:if you're using WLAN this could be another issue.
I had wireless mouse/keyboard combo that had quite some issue when using 2.4 GHz WLAN.
I generally prefer using LAN instead.

oooh that's a possibility.. I know I'm connecting on the 5ghz but maybe? I'll try with a wired connection and see what happens.
Shleee

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:44 pm

5GHz WLAN should not affect wireless keyboard and such, as they are on different bands, but 2.4GHz can cause issues.
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:48 am

still cant get cec running.
did an update/upgrade to be sure

logs show that Libcec is loading and the dll. but not sure if it was succssful. (dpkg -s shows "installed ok installed")

there is no mention in "TOP" of LIBCEC.

peripherals is greyed out in kodi krypton. Tried different skins, reboots, etc.

any suggestions?

FYI - I installed LIBCEC under root (su), was this the problem?

13:43:02.215 T:3008614400 DEBUG: LoadMappings - loaded node "Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter"

DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcec.so.4)
13:43:02.258 T:3008614400 DEBUG: Loading: libcec.so.4

DEBUG: Thread PeripBusCEC start, auto delete: false

************ CEC entries are not showing in the log anymore...not sure why. tried rebooting/reinstalling, no mention.
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:12 am

crooked wrote:still cant get cec running.
did an update/upgrade to be sure

logs show that Libcec is loading and the dll. but not sure if it was succssful. (dpkg -s shows "installed ok installed")

there is no mention in "TOP" of LIBCEC.

peripherals is greyed out in kodi krypton. Tried different skins, reboots, etc.

any suggestions?

I haven't tried cec under Kodi 17.6 yet as I normally don't use it. (Neither Kodi 17.6 nor CEC)

crooked wrote:FYI - I installed LIBCEC under root (su), was this the problem?

You need to be root to install programs, so that's normal.
meveric

Unread postby crooked » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 am

had libcec showing up in the logs about 30 minutes ago, and now no mention of any cec.

not sure if that was from the install or initial load.

not sure if it is properly running or loaded.

maybe it just doesnt work, not a whole lot of google topics on Krypton+libcec4 (or cec)

is CEC diasbled by chance in your krypton package?
crooked

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:24 am

no it's not.
Check /home/odroid/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml and outcomment the line with the loglevel like this:
<!--    <loglevel hide="false">-1</loglevel> -->

Then check the kodi.log in the .kodi/temp/ folder to see some more info about cec
also make sure that in the boot.ini cec is activated.
meveric

PreviousNext

Return to OGST-XU4