OGST (ODROID-GameStation-Turbo) Console Kit

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: OGST (ODROID-GameStation-Turbo) Console Kit

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun May 27, 2018 3:03 am

No output is a good thing. It means no obvious error. Can you also run dmesg -w and then re-run sudo /etc/rc.local and post the new dmesg output?
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby AreaScout » Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 am

ind1fference wrote:I attached the output and followed the guide but nothing appears. :| http://www.gameenthus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/LCD-output.jpg

There are multible entries to load the driver in your rc.local please delete it and leave just one in it, or delete everything in it and Activate Console Kit Support again with Setup ODROID Gamestation Turbo tool

you can edit that file with that command

Code: Select all
sudo pluma /etc/rc.local

after that reboot and try LCD output again i.e with this

wget https://dn.odroid.com/5422/logo.sh
sudo sh logo.sh

RG
AreaScout

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, XU4Q

Unread postby ind1fference » Sun May 27, 2018 10:10 am

I had to reload the image and followed the directions in the wiki more closely and the display works. I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.

....now I need to move the roms folder to a large usb drive....
ind1fference

ODROIDs: XUC4Q

Unread postby AreaScout » Mon May 28, 2018 12:13 am

ind1fference wrote:....now I need to move the roms folder to a large usb drive....

you can do with menu option 10. inside the Setup tool

10. Move rootfs to HDD
AreaScout

Unread postby ind1fference » Mon May 28, 2018 11:11 pm

AreaScout wrote:
ind1fference wrote:....now I need to move the roms folder to a large usb drive....

you can do with menu option 10. inside the Setup tool

10. Move rootfs to HDD

Thanks. Also how do I stop the keyring unlock window from always popping up at startup? The option to stop it is greyed out.
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 29, 2018 10:47 am

ind1fference wrote:Thanks. Also how do I stop the keyring unlock window from always popping up at startup? The option to stop it is greyed out.

The first time you use it it's gonna ask for a password, if you enter a password it will always ask for the password, if you do not enter a password it can work without but passwords and settings (WiFi) will be stored unprotected in the keyring file.
If there's already a password set you can remove the keyring in the .gnome2/keyrings folder and start with a new blank one.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 am

Can I ftp roms to the odroid? Searching for login info surprisingly turns up nothing
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 10:51 am

there is no ftp server installed by default, but you can use sftp if you want to (ftp is really not a very good protocol as it is anyway)
And the password is always "odroid" by default.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby mikelee » Wed May 30, 2018 12:29 pm

What needs to be done to use a bluetooth controller?
i have one of the hardkernel dongles that works with other images, but i see no way of syncing a controller in either debian, emulation station or kodi

thanks for the help
mikelee

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 8:41 pm

check if blueman is already installed, if not install it and start it, it's a graphical frontend for bluetooth devices.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for the ftp assistance. I had filezilla running for awhile and that's fine...then I restarted

....now another issue. I simply restarted and now I have see an aqua login screen that says 'debian8'. A "successful" login just results in the same page reloading. WT?

Full disclosure: I do have it set to boot into emulation station and not Kodi/XBMC
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm

This "boot" into emulationstation have you done that manually or did you use the setup tool on the desktop?
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 pm

I did it with the setup tool on the desktop.
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 pm

hmm this doesn't touch the login screen in the least, it only replaces a file under /home/odroid/.config/autostart/ which is AFTER the login when the desktop is already loaded.
So it should not affect the login in the least.
I just tried it on my ODROID and it worked perfectly fine. I saw the desktop for a split second then ES booted up and now I'm sitting in ES.
Can you check /var/log/syslog if you see any issues? Maybe there's a file damaged or something.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 9:10 pm

ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 9:28 pm

which shouldn't show up at all, as the system is set to auto-login.
Anyway yes you can access other things, just press CTRL + ALT + F1 to go to VT1 here you can login as root with password odroid and navigate through the system.
Using "mc" (Midnight Commander) should make it easier to navigate through the system you can use arrow keys to go up down, enter to open a folder and F3 to read text files. It's a rather handy tool.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm

I will keep that keyboard command in mind. Thanks.

Unfortunately login attempts result in:

-bash : odroid: command not found
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 pm

ind1fference wrote:Unfortunately login attempts result in:

-bash : odroid: command not found

At this point you're already logged in.
it complains that the "command" "odroid" that you entered is not a valid command, means you have to be logged in to even be able to enter "commands".
So just type mc / as a command.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm hitting enter but syslog won't open. I appreciate your patience. I haven't used linux in a long time and I can't fathom why nothing seems to go smoothly with OGST.
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 pm

as I said, reading files is F3, enter can be used for navigating and to start files, or to open (navigate inside) compressed files such as .zip files etc.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 10:21 pm

There's so much here and I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm lost. I'm wondering if my SD has an issue because there was no degradation of performance or warning signs just a restart and an unexpected login screen.
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 pm

the file is very long that is true.. here's what you can try instead:
1. exit mc (type exit) or press F10
2. use the command: tail -f /var/log/syslog
3. press enter a couple of times so you have a couple of blank lines
4. press CTRL + ALT + F7 to go back to the login screen
5. try to login
6. switch back to CTRL + ALT + F1 and check what was written in the log when you tried to login.
Shouldn't be too much text.. if it's still more than one page, you can go UP a page by pressing SHIFT + page UP that should allow you to scroll a few pages up and down... it's hopefully something obvious.
One of my guesses, the files under /home/odroid/ do not all belong to odroid anymore, but some might have been altered by root and odroid no longer has access to them, causing the system to fail login as it can't write the files.

If that's the case you can try chown odroid:odroid -R /home/odroid to make sure all files belong to the user odroid.
Once that is fixed the system should act normal again, IF that is really the problem currently.
If not, I hope the syslog tells us what it is.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 pm

ind1fference

Unread postby AreaScout » Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 am

Hi all

I have just created another GitHub repository at https://github.com/AreaScout/Gaming-Kit-Tools

It contains four tools which helps you to access the Gaming Kit LCD and user button in an easy to use script able way, you can do things like this:

gpio_button:

This tool can run as daemon and start scripts/programs when the user button is either pressed or released, this gives you the opportunity to measure
the time between the keypress to start different events or just fire up a script only when the button is released, you can run it from console to test
your script like so gpio_button -f /home/odroid/LCDTools/test.sh -r /home/odroid/LCDTools/test2.sh and add it to auto start later and run it
as daemon like this:

/etc/rc.local

##### CONSOLE KIT START #####

[ `/sbin/lsmod | grep -c spi_s3c64xx` -ge 1 ] && rmmod spi_s3c64xx
modprobe spi_s3c64xx force32b=1
modprobe fbtft_device name=hktft9340 busnum=1 rotate=270
su root -c '/bin/rm -f /dev/fb1'
su root -c '/bin/mknod /dev/fb1 c 29 1'
su root -c '/bin/chmod 0666 /dev/fb1'
su root -c 'gpio_button'
su odroid -c 'gpio_button -f /home/odroid/LCDTools/test.sh -r /home/odroid/LCDTools/test2.sh -d'
su odroid -c 'img2fb -i "/home/odroid/ROMS/N64/fanart/Bottom of the 9th (USA).jpg"'
##### CONSOLE KIT END #####

as you can see the last line of the auto start script displays a "boot screen" which brings us to the next tool ( pictures can be displayed way earlier in the boot process but you know that )

img2fb:

With this tool you can display pictures to LCD, they will be scaled down to the right size, you can choose if aspect ratio should be used or not

show_info:

It's basically the same tool like SDL2DisplayTest aka OGSTDisplay, but this displays the OSD to an already present image on the LCD and restore it on exit
so here is an example of a shell script

#!/bin/bash

img2fb -i /some/super/image.jpg
show_info -d 128 &
sleep 5
PPID=$(pidof -s show_info)
kill -SIGINT $PPID

The picture is shown, show_info dims the picture, displays the system info for 5 seconds and then exits by sending an SIGINT which is an ctrl+c and restores the image

osd2fb:

Displays Text as an OSD over a already loaded picture like so

#!/bin/bash

cat /dev/fb1 > image.raw
osd2fb -f DroidSans-Bold.ttf -i "Weather forecast" -y 10 -x 20 -w 15 -s -o 128
osd2fb -f DroidSans-Bold.ttf -i "21▒C" -y 30 -x 30 -w 38 -s
sleep 5
cat image.raw > /dev/fb1

as you can see each line has to send separate to the LCD
the first line backups the framebuffer contains in a file
the second line draws not only the text with x and y position, it adds an overlay with transparency 128
the third line draws also a text but this time without overlay, because it's already there
fourth sleeps 5 seconds
fifth restore the original framebuffer

P.S.: for more detailed info look on GitHub
Last edited by AreaScout on Thu May 31, 2018 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
AreaScout

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 31, 2018 12:20 am

have you tried that command I gave you with chown?

It looks like something is not correct... it says fatal IO error and ressource not available for :0 which is normally when it tries to connect to the X-Server.
I still think something got messed up with the permissions.
This is not the default behavior of the image, so I wonder how that happened.

If there's nothing important on the image yet you can always start from a fresh image.
Once again, this is not normal behavior, but something is broken.
meveric

Unread postby AreaScout » Thu May 31, 2018 1:37 am

i forgot to say, please report bugs to the new tools viewtopic.php?f=156&t=30979&start=50#p224828

and next one will be spectrum visualizer ;)
AreaScout

Unread postby rooted » Thu May 31, 2018 1:39 am

AreaScout wrote:i forgot to say, please report bugs to the new tools viewtopic.php?f=156&t=30979&start=50#p224828

and next one will be spectrum visualizer ;)

Can't, don't have one yet :(

Good looking toolkit you have designed, I look forward to eventually using it.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby AreaScout » Thu May 31, 2018 2:31 am

rooted wrote:Can't, don't have one yet :(

Good looking toolkit you have designed, I look forward to eventually using it.

thought you are sitting in an office full of them :lol: 8-)
AreaScout

Unread postby psiquik » Thu May 31, 2018 3:19 am

I am having an issue, the logo.mp4 is not playing when I run PSX games for some reason.

Can anyone help me, what do check or do?

All the other ones are loading fine.

Thanks in advance.
psiquik

ODROIDs: ODROID xu4

Unread postby mikelee » Thu May 31, 2018 5:20 am

blueman fixed my bluetooth issues, works great thanks,

Now I am curious why romcollection browser in kodi skips some titles, like i added 4 n64 roms to the folder, and it added 007, but skipped the 3 other 3 big names like mario kart and super mario

emulation station finds them no problem

thanks again
mikelee

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 am

psiquik wrote:I am having an issue, the logo.mp4 is not playing when I run PSX games for some reason.

Can anyone help me, what do check or do?

All the other ones are loading fine.

Thanks in advance.

Just tested PSX on my side it's working fine.
can you try to start it manually to see if it works?
sudo draw-logo.sh ROMS/PSX/VideoSnaps/logo.mp4 0
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 am

mikelee wrote:blueman fixed my bluetooth issues, works great thanks,

Now I am curious why romcollection browser in kodi skips some titles, like i added 4 n64 roms to the folder, and it added 007, but skipped the 3 other 3 big names like mario kart and super mario

emulation station finds them no problem

thanks again

What do you mean by skips it? Scrapping or just to show them in the overview?
Scrapping can be repeated, sometimes not all sites are up and you can restart the scrapping process, by pressing C and selection to rescrap the selected game.
meveric

Unread postby mikelee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 am

I get Could not create artwork file
on every game when scraping, for some reason 007 was the only game it lists,
other systems dont succeed on a single rom
mikelee

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 am

yes the rom collection browser is actually a very old project and was kinda dead for a couple years, it recently started development again and I'm looking into it to see if it works better now.
You can always re-scrap the collection and see if it works. Maybe disabling mobygames for now as this is the one often causing issues.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:11 am

So sftping roms just resulted in Filezilla erring everything out and upon a restart I'm looking at the aqua Debian 8 desktop again. I give up. GameStation is trash for me. No fancy LCD for me unless another image starts using it. Shame.

http://www.gameenthus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Debian-Aqua.jpg
ind1fference

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:17 am

ind1fference wrote:So sftping roms just resulted in Filezilla erring everything out and upon a restart I'm looking at the aqua Debian 8 desktop again. I give up. GameStation is trash for me. No fancy LCD for me unless another image starts using it. Shame.

How are you flashing the OS, with what hardware? Are you using MicroSD to SD?

What SD card are you using? What power supply? Something is causing you to have issues.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby ind1fference » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 am

rooted wrote:
ind1fference wrote:So sftping roms just resulted in Filezilla erring everything out and upon a restart I'm looking at the aqua Debian 8 desktop again. I give up. GameStation is trash for me. No fancy LCD for me unless another image starts using it. Shame.

How are you flashing the OS, with what hardware? Are you using MicroSD to SD?

I've used etcher each time and I'm on my 6th-7th attempt to get it to work. There's always an issue once I start copying roms via sftp. I eventually restart and get the aqua desktop and I'm unable to get back the default debian desktop. I'm using a 128GB Samsung EVO Select micro SD card. This card never gave me problems on my raspberry pie.
ind1fference

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:24 am

But how are you flashing the SD? You need to use a micro SD to USB writer. You can't use the SD to micro SD adapter.

I'm not saying it's your SD card, that's a good brand.

What power supply are you using? It needs to be 4 Amp.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby ind1fference » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:29 am

I'm flashing it with a usb3.0 sd adapter. I'm using the power supply that came with the OGST kit.
ind1fference

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:25 pm

It kinda looks like .Xauthority or something got messed up.
like someone messes up the permissions.
Which user do you use for sftp?
Also I wonder why Filezilla is touching these files at all when you copy ROMs.
meveric

Unread postby ind1fference » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:23 am

Odroid/odroid is my login for sftp. It's odd. Usually the first 2 thousand files transfer fine then the whole queue fails. So I restart and then I get the wrong desktop.
ind1fference

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:49 am

Run a dmesg -w in a different shell and see if it reports filesystem errors during your copy
mad_ady

Unread postby ind1fference » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:14 am

mad_ady wrote:Run a dmesg -w in a different shell and see if it reports filesystem errors during your copy

A ton of information scrolled across the screen. Of what's visible, it's hard to determine what went wrong.

I do see 'pd-sp can't add device 131aoooo.spi' in red...twice.
ind1fference

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:38 pm

It's normal for dmesg to display a lot of info, but I'm only interested in what it says during the file copy (leave it running and do the copy in paralel)
mad_ady

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:41 pm

could it be that you filled the rootfs to 100% during file copy?
If the rootfs is 100% full login should also fail as it can't create certain status or log files anymore.
Also I still think there are some SD cards that have issues with the XU4, meaning that their filesystem get's damaged while the system is "running".
That is why I prefer eMMC or HDD instead, especially for large images with lots of ROMs and such.
My OGST image at home has over 300GB worth of data it's using, way too big for SD cards ;)
meveric

Unread postby nuclear_bullet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi All,

Will the "activate console kit" work on a Cloudshell 1? I bought one of the original Cloudshell kit but never really got the screen to work quite well, since I bought a console kit for my original Odroid XU4, was thinking about buying another Odroid XU4 to stuff it back into the Cloudshell kit if the Console Kit's software (mainly the display is what I'm after) works with it...

Would be nice to have one that looks like an N64 to gift to my younger bro and keep the one with the Cloudshell kit for myself since I don't really care too much about aesthetics. The fact that the display shows which console is currently being played is a beautiful thing IMO :D

Please let me know, I wouldn't mind ponying up some more dough to pull in another Odroid XU4 to use with the Cloudshell since I generally like to have all my electronics doing work and not go to waste! ;)

Also, if Hardkernel has an Odroid XU5 in the works, I wouldn't mind waiting for that either... Will hardkernel spin another SBC based on a more recent Exynos? These Samsung SoCs are badass...
nuclear_bullet

languages_spoken: English (US)
ODROIDs: ODROID XU4 + Cloudshell

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:12 pm

Generally it should work with the Cloudshell 1 as well, not sure if it can achieve the same speed for playing videos, but yes it should be able to display the same on the Cloudshell 1 as well.
meveric

Unread postby AreaScout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:53 pm

What i got so far :idea: will try to get more visualization effects and smooth the spectrum if possible, looks ok already but will fine tune it

It hooks up to anything playing via PluseAudio :)

RG
AreaScout

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 am

Looks really good.. you should check if the shadertoy visualizer works that is used for Kodi, that thing is amazing and good looking.
https://github.com/notspiff/visualization.shadertoy
meveric

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:40 am

meveric wrote:Looks really good.. you should check if the shadertoy visualizer works that is used for Kodi, that thing is amazing and good looking.
https://github.com/notspiff/visualization.shadertoy
Most of those came from the same site he's already using, https://www.shadertoy.com
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

PreviousNext

Return to OGST-XU4