Hello everyone!

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Hello everyone!

Unread postby mikeblack322 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:28 am

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and new to Odroid. I just ordered the Odroid UX4 and the android eMMC. I'm looking to build a car radio/carputer with it using Android. My goals are to use the 7inch screen made for odroid, the usb gps reciever and some kind of sound card. That's where I need help. I use spotify, religiously, so I need my tunes. I plan to go from a 3.5mm jack to an amp using the 3.5mm to rca cable. Then wiring my speakers into the amp. I may have an equalizer, but I'm not sure yet. On to my questions. What sound card should I use? Will I be able to use an offline GPS app? I plan on keeping the actual board always on and having having my monitor's power supply wired to a power supply that only turns on when the car is on. Will the Odroid kill my battery with it being left on continuously? Thanks for the help and your time. I am a super noob and this will be my first ever build, but it's something I have always wanted to do. I know I can use a nexus 7 with Timur's rom, but I would love to build my own. Here's a quick list of what I think I can use/need that way I have a little more info.

ODROID-UX4
Android eMMC ( 32gb )
Wifi Module
Bluetooth Module
VU7 Plus Screen
USB GPS Module
USB Audio Adapter ( maybe )
Self Powered USB HUB

I've downloaded the user's manual and it all seems pretty straight forward, I'm just looking for some advice from people a whole lot more experienced than me. Thanks again!
mikeblack322

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid UX4

Re: Hello everyone!

Unread postby rooted » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 am

The inexpensive USB soundcard Hardkernel sells is fine for 3.5mm out, I haven't measured output voltage but it drives headphones really well so should drive RCAs.

If you want something a bit nicer I have one of these that is pretty great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0189EVGAG

The XU4 would eventually kill your battery, you want an intelligent way to shutdown the device with key.

Offline GPS navigation is fine.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mikeblack322 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:26 am

That's pretty cool. I never even thought about a headphone amp. I was playing on crutchfield earlier and noticed that there are automotive amps that have Bluetooth, so I could probably just Bluetooth my Odroid straight to the amp. I could wire the XU4 to a circuit that only has power when the key is on, that would be fairly easy. How's the boot time on these? I'm going with the eMMC for my os just because of the speed difference.
mikeblack322

Unread postby rooted » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:24 am

eMMC will boot Android in about 15 seconds or so
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mikeblack322 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:21 am

That's not terrible. I can deal with that then. Thank you for the help.
mikeblack322

Unread postby mikeblack322 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:58 am

One last question. I know we were talking about using a headphone amplifier to power my speakers in my car, but would the HIFI Shield Plus work with the UX4?
mikeblack322

Unread postby rooted » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:59 am

mikeblack322 wrote:One last question. I know we were talking about using a headphone amplifier to power my speakers in my car, but would the HIFI Shield Plus work with the UX4?
I didn't mean use a headphone amp, I meant use it as pre-out to an external amplifier.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby mikeblack322 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Yea I know it was meant to be used as a pre-amp, I was just wondering if I could use the HIFI shield. I've read about people getting noise from usb audio adapter and I was looking for alternatives. I also ran across a USB Volume control knob ( https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Lossless-Co ... B01MV411BR ) Do you think it will work?
mikeblack322

Unread postby InspecteurGadget » Tue May 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi,
I've an carputer too with android, I test usb audio adapter, yes I've noise sound, I don't test Hifi shield but with android it's limited to 16bit 44.1khz.
For this I use an hdmi converter hdmi to audio rca +hdmi video

Edit: Yes you can use gps offline,
InspecteurGadget

languages_spoken: French, English
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
USB GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi
Emmc 8g Android M
Rtc modue

Return to Introduce Yourself