XU4 + Vu7(+) Carputer, Want to release, but Audio issues :-(

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

XU4 + Vu7(+) Carputer, Want to release, but Audio issues :-(

Unread postby zurkeyon@gmail.com » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:48 am

Hello Fellow Odroidians!

:-D

Recently, I have put much time and effort into a new 3D Printable design for a Single Din Carputer, Based on the Odroid Xu4, and the Vu7 (Or Vu7 +) Screen.

The Design works on being paired with an existing head-unit as the "amplifier", and has a sliding mount for the screen that has an UP and a DOWN position, so that it clears my AC vents when needed.

It also makes it detachable.

The Screen Frame is its own part that I will be releasing individually, and should be the correct size for VU7 and VU7+
(Though I only have the Vu7 at the moment, so i cannot verify this)

I am SOOOO ready to release the Design, but I cannot release it until I figure out this Audio issue I keep running into.

Here is the Problem:
I have tried the 5.1 USB soundcard from you guys website, as well as others, and No matter what 12 - 5 volt converter I use, I get CRAZY engine and alternator noise in the sound.
As I understand this to be a Ground loop issue, I tried a Ground loop isolator, however, It cuts all the bass for the Subwoofer and my Rear amp, to almost nothing, and heavily distorts the sound.

Other Things I have considered are USB 5v Filters, but most are either VERY expensive (Upwards of 50$) or they do not allow enough amps to run the XU4.
I even tried Ferrite Filters. No change.
Additionally, I tried eliminating the Ground loop, by making the Stereo and the Carputer get their Ground and Power from the Same location in the Truck (A 1998 Ford Ranger) But this also made no difference.
I can hear the touches on the VU7 screen in the Audio, and the Work of CPU itself, seems to come through as noise.
So far, I have come up with no way to filter it out.

If there was a DAC or other Filtered Audio hat, this would be excellent, as I left room in the design to account for this, but alas, I am finding nothing is compatible with the XU4 :-(

At the moment, I am just one step away from releasing this awesome design, and I just need to clear this last hurtle.

Any suggestions?

I looked at the following as possible solutions, but rather than just continuing to spend money and be disappointed, I hoped someone here had already found a solution and might want to share it with me and save me the extra Cash :-)

http://andybrown.me.uk/2015/07/24/usb-filtering/
https://www.amazon.com/SoundBot-SB360-B ... op?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/CSHope-Bluetooth ... +bluetooth

As soon as I figure this out, I will release the design on thingiverse and drop a link to it in the General XU4.

https://www.thingiverse.com/Zurkeyon/about
This is Me on Thingiverse.com

(Just so you know I'm for Real, and that I have made Xu4 Designs in the past.)

Thank you in advance.

(Sorry, it isnt the best Pic.)
Attachments
CarPuterDRAFT.png
Early Draft
CarPuterDRAFT.png (4.38 MiB) Viewed 545 times
zurkeyon@gmail.com

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, VU7

Re: XU4 + Vu7(+) Carputer, Want to release, but Audio issues

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:54 am

if you run the vu7 series displays you have to enable dvi mode thus it cannot passthrough audio..thus audio is disabled

solution may be to run the boom bonnet add-on audio and extract the audio in that manner
odroid N-1 16Gb emmc orange..
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: N-1..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...u-3..
u-2...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby zurkeyon@gmail.com » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:57 am

I'm getting audio. Its just totally unusable. Static and noise are greater than 50% of the sound.

The bonnet, Seems to be like a little boom box type addon.

Are you saying to get it, and leave the speakers out and use them as inputs to my Aux?

Is it filtered?

Wouldn't it have the same ground looping issue?
zurkeyon@gmail.com

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:04 am

I would suggest using a Bluetooth (BT) adapter in the XU4 and using A2DP for audio to the amplifier. If the amplifier does not have BT, there are also cheap BT-to-headphone adapters available.\

[edit]
To clarify, the BT adapter in XU4 replaces any USB sound device. Since BT is all digital and electrically isolated, its impossible for noise to be introduced using this method.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 am

yes it is possible to have the noise read on further how i solved it....
you can use its audio out it has a headphone jack or it has line out header as well you can just hardwire some rca sockets to the line out look at the wiki for the bonnet more info on it`s page....the noise your getting sounds familiar i earthed out the negative from the bonnet to the xu4 usb port chassis it solved the noise problem..dont know even y i was getting the noise.
phaseshifter

Unread postby zurkeyon@gmail.com » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:25 am

Crash,
Tried that as well. Was not able to get the audio from Android to flow to my Cheap "dual" Bluetooth headunit. It recognizes it as a bluetooth handsfree, and only wants to route "Calls" to it. Not audio.
So, that was a show stopper there.
I was also having isses with the microphone in that scenario not hearing me.

This device solves a particular need for me, as an IT Field Service Tech and Network Engineer, I use the device as a GPS, music player, Dispatch Portal for RepairShopr, Digital speedometer (Using CarLauncher), WAZE cop-Finder, and torque Pro OBD2 Reader for a Full spectrum of digital Gauges.
This is another reason I am trying to avoid Using Bluetooth. As I will be using Several Bluetooth devices on it already. I am not sure how many can be used at once.

I though about using the AUX to Bluetooth adapter as well, but I am afraid of running into the issue of the Odroid Android OS seeing it as a calls only headset and not allowing the music to come through.
It wasn't even giving me the option to try this. (All grey'd out or simply not there)

But Phaseshifter,

I like the sound of your method. I may give that one a shot and see if it produces better sound.
How do you go about earth grounding the bonnet to the XU4?

I am not very familiar with this.

Thank you both for the suggestions!
zurkeyon@gmail.com

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:34 am

use some sticky tape to hold it in place temporarily to see if the fault is still there..using the head phone jack or the line out may not have the noise pollution at all ..i did not notice any noise when i was using it with the head phones only the speakers from memory...oh simply tape the wire to the back metal jacket of the speaker and the other end tape to the usb-3 chasis on top of it...
phaseshifter

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:39 am

if and once you are satisfied that your sound is ok detach the bonnet speakers..they are just taking up space and getting in the way making the unit smaller to work with..if your still getiing line noise try earthing the negative lead of one of the speaker lines to the usb port..you may want to decouple it putting a 100nf green cap in series..although i have never done it that way nor have i tied the negative speaker line directly to earth perhaps using the decoupling cap first may be the safest way..to go..
phaseshifter

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Which Android OS image do you use?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby zurkeyon@gmail.com » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 pm

android-lineage-14.1-alpha-1.3-sd2emmc_installer-odroidxu3-2017-12-14.img

Is the image I am Currently using.

Last night, I was able to get the Bluetooth to finally connect up correctly.

It must have been the other sound card I was using or my LM327BT ODB-II adapter interfering.

Its working GREAT now!

At first, bluetooth wasn't connecting up in a way that was allowing sound from the Odroid to the Headunit in my truck.

But that is all resolved now it appears.

I am still going to pursue getting a CLEAN line-out via cable from the Odroid XU4. I want that option to be a part of the project.

But at a minimum, it works as intended for the moment, and I can use every feature to perfection. Minus AUX.

I am intending to work on the Videos, Write up, and Thingiverse Release, all day today so that the project can be released to the public later this afternoon or this evening.

If anyone has other suggestions on getting a "Clean" Line-Out from the XU4 in an Automotive Situation, I would love to hear more. I will explore all options until I can generate the desired result.

This seems to be a sticking point for a lot of projects, not just automotive.

I ran across a lot of line-out noise issues in the forums in my search, but no clear answers to clear up the issue in the majority of these situations.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far!

LOOK FOR RELEASE here later today!

;-D
zurkeyon@gmail.com

Unread postby rooted » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Great work, I would love to see a double-din version of this in the future if possible.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby zurkeyon@gmail.com » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Thank you!

Yes, Its actually going to include the original sketchup drawings, to allow anyone to customize it for their needs.

At that point, It a matter of measuring the DIN pocket in your vehicle, resizing the DIN Body Printable Part, and BAM!

All set.

Typically, I like to "Show my work" when I create a project, and also allow for customization and remixing by others.

Its neat to watch where people take the idea.

I am ALMOST finished with the Write-up and Videos, and I Will 100% for sure be releasing the design this afternoon.

There was just too much left to do last night. I passed out.

But I am hot on it this morning, and finishing up the last few modifications and drawing revisions!

So Close!

zurkeyon@gmail.com

Unread postby rooted » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 am

I haven't designed anything to be printed but have extensive experience in 3D so it shouldn't be hard to learn.

Look forward to seeing it so I may learn and perhaps finally install my carpc, I have had all the parts for about a year now. I will be using a C2 instead of the XU4 since I'm using the hi-fi shield 2 for output.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby zurkeyon@gmail.com » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 am

The Project is now LIVE!

ENJOY!