HIPSTER BLEEDING EDGE GENTOO (Kernel 4.9, wayland)

fleixi
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HIPSTER BLEEDING EDGE GENTOO (Kernel 4.9, wayland)

Unread post by fleixi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:16 am

Im happy to introduce a second Waylandimage.

HIPSTER BLEEDING EDGE GENTOO

Gentoo with Gnome3 and wayland

Since memeka has get gnome3 working on wayland i have build the same for gentoo. Just "some" newer packages :D

First of all:
THIS IS AN EXPERIMENTAL IMAGE I have enabled very new packages to get the newes wayland and gles fixes but these are not fully testet.
Be award: Gentoo is a very complex distro and not for linux beginners. If you like a stable distro use memekas debian wayland OS or better any x11 OS.

General informations:

Kernel: Memekas Odroid-XU4 Source (at the moment 4.9.18)
Graphic: Mali 12.0p Wayland
Gnome: some 3.22, some 3.24 and Mutter 3.25 (working)
KDE: 5.9.4 (not working but installed)
Weston: 1.12.0 (working)
Kodi: 18.0 alpha (Wayland branch with patch inside ebuild to add mfc)

Image informations:

user: odroid
password: odroid
root: root
password: odroid
Image: https://owncloud.klaftenegger.de/s/5qgNyCx11zOo5UV
checksum: ad6f3bcac33dba63a26226f041f3dac1

This Image is 7GB big but i would not install it on any 8gb device. Portage needs many GB space to work and is cleaned at the moment to get a smaller image.
It is a good idea to mount an other device to /var/tmp/portage to have enough space building all packages. Some packages (boost) need a swapfile enabled to prevent outofmemory

The image need to be resized viewtopic.php?f=96&t=26172#p182217

Configuration:
  • - Enabled "testing(~)" branch
    - Switched initsystem to systemd
    - Added "kde" and "gnome" Overlay (offical newer packages)
    - Added "gnome-next" overlay (newes gnome packages)
    - Added "gentoo-kodi-overlay" (https://github.com/herrnst/gentoo-kodi-overlay) (ebuilds for kodi plugins)
    - Added "odroid-xu4-overlay" (https://github.com/fleixi/odroid-xu4-overlay) (my own overlay with some ebuilds updated or modified to work)
    - All packages have been installed using the portage system and own ebuilds. No "sideloading".
    - Boot into gdm3
    - THE IMAGE IS SET TO BOOT FROM SD-CARD! if you want emmc, you need to replace /dev/mmcblk1 with /dev/mmcblk0 in /boot/boot.ini and /etc/fstab
Gnome3 informations:

I have not testet all parts and many programms arent preinstalled. I think there are the same limitations as memekas debian build.
Be carefull removing gnome. GDM3 is the only loginmanager i have found able to run on wayland and gdm3 without parts of gnome3 is not possible.

KDE informations:

My first append was to get kde working since i like it more than gnome but saddly i wasnt able yet. I have keep it installed to keep trying get it starting.
It could be removed without braking anything

Weston informations:

Is installed for first test mali. Could be removed but is a good way to test if malidrivers have been override by mesa (sould be prevented by "eselect opengl mali")

Kodi informations:

At the moment i am using the Kellermann fork and apply my own patchfile to add oversuns mfc-decoding. Maybe i will switch to the xbmc source and add the wayland support as patch too. It is also planned to add a ebuild for the agiles branch in near future.

I have installed a working tvheadend plugin as well and added the gnome-shell-extension "HideTopBar" to provide a workaround for the bug that kodi isnt overlay the topbar.

Browser informations:

There is NO browser installed at the moment.

I have setup all useflags to simple install chromium via

Code: Select all

emerge -a www-client/chromium
I working on an custom ebuild for firefox with waylandsupport (more informations later)

Building an browser on gentoo takes much time and space. I would build it over night and work.

My Overlay:

I will use this image as my main image and trying to keep my overlay uptodate and to add some/many more packages. I find it hard to find all patches for the odroidXu4 on the forum so ideas for packages and links to patches are welcome. i will try to add as much as possible.

Experimental Overlay:

I have an experimental overlay with ebuilds not working/work in process https://github.com/fleixi/odroid-xu4-ov ... perimental
Help is welcome

ToDo:
  • -Testing bigger projects like browsers and libreoffice
    -Testing of EGL in many programs
    -Testing testing testing

-Add memekas ffmpeg
    -Add patches for hw-en/decoding in gstreamer (are there still patches needed?)
    -Get KDE working
Have Fun

fleixi

Re: HIPSTER BLEEDING EDGE GENTOO (Kernel 4.9, wayland)

Unread post by fleixi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:17 am

*reserved*

bestondoa
languages_spoken: english, portuguese, bulgarian
ODROIDs: U2, XU4

Unread post by bestondoa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:52 am

Great work, fleixi!

I might give this a go :)

Cheers

fleixi

Unread post by fleixi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:45 am

Thanks.

After 2 weeks of testing i have found some problems in chromium and kodi and minor bugs , so i will add/update the ebuild for this and will add some informations how to fix this at the end of this week. But since compiling needs much time (chromium about 15 hours, kodi about 1 1/2 hours) every help building and testing is very welcome.

memeka
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread post by memeka » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:17 am

Can you post what's the issue and solution if it affects my image too? :)

fleixi

Unread post by fleixi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:40 am

@memeka yes you would/will be the fist knowing if i find errors depending on wayland.

I have a issue with importing content into kodis database and if i type anything into chromium it crash.
I think i have missed some parts switching the gcc version so everyone using my image should type this into console:

emerge sync
emerge --ask --oneshot sys-devel/libtool
revdep-rebuild --library 'libstdc++.so.6' -- --exclude gcc
Attantion this will rebuild around 200 packages and could take around 15 hours. This should be run without interruption.

Saddly i wasnt able to test if this is fixing the problems in kodi and chromium since i first had to fix some build problems with mesa EGL and now im at holydays for two weeks.

If some programm is linking to mesa libEGL this happend:

libEGL.so: undefined reference to `gbm_bo_create_with_modifiers'
It could be solved with adding libgbm to the ebuilds:

inherit flag-o-matic 
pkg_setup() {
    append-ldflags -lgbm
}
Last but not least i have found an bug in the pam interface from gdm. Autologin is failing because of missing libary. The libary is installed on the wrong place. Fix:

ln -s /lib/security/pam_gdm.so /usr/lib/security/pam_gdm.so
Portage Updates:

I have updated many packages so please run:

emerge sync
emerge -uDU --with-bdeps=y @world

-Added chromium ebuild
-Added tvheadend 4.3 ebuild
-Added oscam ebuild
-Fixed cec on kodi
-Added patch to gnome to have smaller volumestaps (not enabled at default)
-many more (see my git commits)

Because of some nasty bugs in chromium (chromium is trying to crosscompile for arm on arm?) you need to add this stukture:

ls -la /opt/chromium_workaround/bin/
insgesamt 7
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024  7. Jun 22:56 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024  7. Jun 22:05 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   87  7. Jun 22:55 arm-linux-gnueabihf-ar -> /usr/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi/gcc-bin/5.4.0/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-gcc-ar
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   84  7. Jun 22:02 arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ -> /usr/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi/gcc-bin/5.4.0/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-g++
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   84  7. Jun 22:05 arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -> /usr/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi/gcc-bin/5.4.0/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   87  7. Jun 22:56 arm-linux-gnueabihf-nm -> /usr/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi/gcc-bin/5.4.0/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-gcc-nm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   91  7. Jun 22:56 arm-linux-gnueabihf-ranlib -> /usr/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi/gcc-bin/5.4.0/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi-gcc-ranlib
and add this file:

cat /etc/portage/env/www-client/chromium
PATH=$PATH:/opt/chromium_workaround/bin

frares
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by frares » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 am

Hi #fleixi, thank you for such huge effort.

But how did you manage the power button? I'm trying to get Gentoo by regular install, and using your overlay for the video driver, everything works fine, except the power button, that still turns on the board, but doesn't turn it off.

Thanks,
Francisco

Return to “Other OS”