External Hard Drive not Getting Enough Power

Levy
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid C1+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

External Hard Drive not Getting Enough Power

Unread post by Levy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 am

I'm trying to use my Odroid as a file server to put an external hard drive I have to use. It works... barely. The Odroid is barely supplying enough power to the drive and sometimes it fails to read at all. I was considering buying a powered USB hub, when I found this thread on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... ard_drive/
Actually, you don't. You can change the amperage of the USB ports so the external hard drive will work without a powered hub.

Just add these lines to the /boot/config.txt:

#1.2 A On the USB bus:
max_usb_current=1
This thread is about the Raspberry Pi, but I got to wondering if the Odroid C1+ has a similar config option somewhere. Does anyone have any solutions besides buying a USB hub?

mdrjr
Site Admin
languages_spoken: english, portuguese
ODROIDs: -

Re: External Hard Drive not Getting Enough Power

Unread post by mdrjr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:30 am

If your USB Drive requires more then 500ma it won't work properly and you need a external powered hub.

Levy

Unread post by Levy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:21 am

I tested the drive on my laptop with this. Nifty little device. Anyway, my laptop wasn't supplying the drive any more than 500 mA. It was stable between 470 and 350. Sort of bouncing around. On the Odroid, this number bounces far more radically between 440 and 230. And the voltage on the Odroid seems to be slightly lower, too. The Odroid is the only device that makes the drive utter an audible click, too. Is there any kind of boot options that will let me supply the drive with more stable power?

XeoSal
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Unread post by XeoSal » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:43 am

Levy wrote:I tested the drive on my laptop with this. Nifty little device. Anyway, my laptop wasn't supplying the drive any more than 500 mA. It was stable between 470 and 350. Sort of bouncing around. On the Odroid, this number bounces far more radically between 440 and 230. And the voltage on the Odroid seems to be slightly lower, too. The Odroid is the only device that makes the drive utter an audible click, too. Is there any kind of boot options that will let me supply the drive with more stable power?
What does the poor Odroid have to do with the voltage supplied if your own adapter can't provide stable current, WTF? Either use 4 amp PSU or just use a powered hub for the HDD, HardKernel will certainly not give you a magic solution just because you're actually blaming the device for the fault of power supply. :?

Levy

Unread post by Levy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:08 am

XeoSal wrote:
Levy wrote:I tested the drive on my laptop with this. Nifty little device. Anyway, my laptop wasn't supplying the drive any more than 500 mA. It was stable between 470 and 350. Sort of bouncing around. On the Odroid, this number bounces far more radically between 440 and 230. And the voltage on the Odroid seems to be slightly lower, too. The Odroid is the only device that makes the drive utter an audible click, too. Is there any kind of boot options that will let me supply the drive with more stable power?
What does the poor Odroid have to do with the voltage supplied if your own adapter can't provide stable current, WTF? Either use 4 amp PSU or just use a powered hub for the HDD, HardKernel will certainly not give you a magic solution just because you're actually blaming the device for the fault of power supply. :?
I was just wondering cus of that Rasp Pi thread I found. Don't gotta get snippy with me. I'm not familiar with what all the Odroid can do under the hood or power requirements and things like that.

What kind of power supply would you recommend? The only one on the Hardkernel website that I can see is the 5V/2A DC. Though there is a 5V/4A power supply, but it's listed as for the ODROID-XU, XU+E, XU Lite, XU3, and XU4. Would I be able to hook the C1+ to a USB power supply through it's OTG port and get more power that way?

Or should I just get a powered hub?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:44 pm

USB host VBUS has limited power source at 1Amp/5Volt.
If your HDD needs over 1Amp of in-rush current, the sudden voltage drop will cause a serious instability.

It is worth to measure the 5V rail on the 40pin GPIO header with a DMM.
You can find 5V rail in this link.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... &tab_idx=2

brokdar
ODROIDs: C1+

Unread post by brokdar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi all,

I've been having this problem with powering up my external HDD until I decided to add more power by connecting a usb cable to the microUSB OTG port which is connected to a mobile charger (5v/1000mAH). So I have my power supply and the microUSB connected to the Odroid at the same time. This is the only way I could make it work.

By the way, I tried with a powered USB hub and it didn't work for me either.

Hope this works for you too!

passio
languages_spoken: english, French

Unread post by passio » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:40 am

Hi Brokdar, do you mean you use 2 power supply at same time ?

Return to “Issues”