[EMULATOR] Reicast (Sega DreamCast Emulator)

sergio-br2
languages_spoken: english, portuguese, french
ODROIDs: U3, C1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: [EMULATOR] Reicast (Sega DreamCast Emulator)

Unread post by sergio-br2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi!

The "Random Stuff" daily/nightly PPA has Reicast package for ARM now, last time I tested it was working :D (tested on odroid U3)

The package is updated daily.

https://code.launchpad.net/~random-stuf ... ubuntu/ppa

To add the PPA:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:random-stuff/ppa
sudo apt-get update
And to install:

sudo apt-get install reicast
Edit: The PPA is primarily for Ubuntu, like any PPA is, if any ubuntu package works on debian consider it a bonus ;)

Also, there's no patch such as multiplayer or whatever, the source code is the "vanilla". I encourage you send these patches to the upstream if it's possible.
Last edited by sergio-br2 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:41 pm

I kinda wanted to test this package, but i can't get it to work.

First, since you included the reicast-joyconfig tool and made a hard requirement on python3-evdev this means no Debian system can install this package.
This is probably a big issue with RPi community as well, since their images are mostly based on Debian.
Only the newer Ubuntu Mate version on the RPi2 image could install the package.
This probably means RPi (the first one) wouldn't be able to install it at all.

Still i downloaded and installed the package manually by altering the requirements and tried to run it.
Sadly it did not start, but ended in a:

Shader linking: failed to link
 (14844060 bytes), -  -
Fatal error : shader compile fail

in gl_CompileAndLink -> ../../core/rend/gles/gles.cpp : 766
Which is odd, cause the package i created works just fine and has the same code it seem (the die shader error is at the same line on my sources).
I would have liked to test if multiple controllers are supported, which i kinda doubt, since it only created VMUs for one controller under $HOME/.local/share/reicast/ which indicates that it only supports one controller.

Edit:
Oh, yes.. nearly forgot.. I tested it on an ODORID U3 under Debian Jessie.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

sergio-br2

Unread post by sergio-br2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:14 am

Hey meveric!

I changed the python dependence, now it's using the default python of the system (python 2).

The PPA is primarily for Ubuntu and derivatives, like any PPA is. I don't guarantee that it'll work with debian. Also, what package have you used? From 15.04 ? I think this is the closest to debian jessie. You'll have to satisfy these deps:

Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.15), libegl1-mesa (>= 7.8.1) | libegl1-x11, libgcc1 (>= 1:4.4.0), libgles2-mesa (>= 7.8.1) | libgles2, libstdc++6 (>= 4.9)
There's no patch such as multiplayer or whatever, the source code is the same from the reicast upstream, and I encourage you guys to send these patches to the upstream if it's possible.

About the rpi, I don't know if the package will work with it, since OpenGL programs must be linked with GLES from /opt/vc/*

Edit: What's the closest to debian jessie? ubuntu 15.04?
Last edited by sergio-br2 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:15 am

sergio-br2 wrote:Hey meveric!

I changed the python dependence, now it's using the default python of the system (python 2).

The PPA is primarily for Ubuntu and derivatives, like any PPA is. I don't guarantee that it'll work with debian. Also, what package have you used? From 15.04 ? I think this is the closest to debian jessie. You'll have to satisfy these deps:

Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.15), libegl1-mesa (>= 7.8.1) | libegl1-x11, libgcc1 (>= 1:4.4.0), libgles2-mesa (>= 7.8.1) | libgles2, libstdc++6 (>= 4.9), python, python-evdev
I know how to change dependencies and how to read dependencies.. As i said, i altered the .deb files dependencies in order to install it.
The changed dependency won't work either. Debian has no python-evdev whatsoever (it has python3 though, so that was never an issue).
If i was you i would remove python packages completely since they are in no way necessary to run the emulator, they are only for the reicast-joyconfig.py which is not part of the emulator but only a helper script to create new mapping files as i understand, which can easily be created manually.
The basic dependecies of reicast are very simple it probably would even run under Debian Squeeze and Ubuntu 12.04 or older. It's really no high dependencies needed.
BTW there is one dependenciy missing in your list of dependencies. libevdev-dev which is used by reicast in order to access /dev/input/eventX.
I used the 14.04 package... Although it does not make any differences since all packages should have the same dependencies. I build my package under Debian Wheezy, and it should work just fine under Ubuntu 15.10. (as i said, there are really no big dependencies on this)
sergio-br2 wrote:There's no patch such as multiplayer or whatever, the source code is the same from the reicast upstream, and I encourage you guys to send these patches to the upstream if it's possible.
Actually there is and it's listed here in this thread as well, just go one page back. It's also incorporated in my package of reicast and working perfectly fine.
The multiplayer issue is already discussed on the reicast github repository. Maybe you just missed that topic.
sergio-br2 wrote:About the rpi, I don't know if the package will work with it, since OpenGL programs must be linked with GLES from /opt/vc/*
I don't know for sure, but any OpenGL ES 2.0 armhf board should be able to run these packages. I highly doubt there is any limitation. In worst case a simple symlink in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ should be all that's needed.
I may ask a colleauge from work to try my package on the RPi. As far as i know it should work fine.
sergio-br2 wrote:Edit: What's the closest to debian jessie? ubuntu 15.04?
Debian Jessie is somewhat between 14.04 and 15.10. It has newer Qt5 packages as 14.04 and 15.04 but older packages in other fields. It comes with default gcc 4.8 same as 14.04 and can install 4.9.2 also as in 14.04 and 15.04.
It comes with libc6 2.19 same as 14.04 and 15.04.
I would normally compare Debian releases with LTS releases, so i would always go with 14.04 to be on the sure side.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

sergio-br2

Unread post by sergio-br2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 am

meveric wrote:
sergio-br2 wrote:There's no patch such as multiplayer or whatever, the source code is the same from the reicast upstream, and I encourage you guys to send these patches to the upstream if it's possible.
Actually there is and it's listed here in this thread as well, just go one page back. It's also incorporated in my package of reicast and working perfectly fine.
The multiplayer issue is already discussed on the reicast github repository. Maybe you just missed that topic.
What I mean is that the package FROM the random stuff PPA has no patch at all (maybe one or two to fix build). I try to maintain it as closest to upstream code as possible.

I'm not with the board right now, someone with ubuntu installed can test it and give me some feedback.

sergio-br2

Unread post by sergio-br2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:43 am

meveric wrote:
sergio-br2 wrote:About the rpi, I don't know if the package will work with it, since OpenGL programs must be linked with GLES from /opt/vc/*
I don't know for sure, but any OpenGL ES 2.0 armhf board should be able to run these packages. I highly doubt there is any limitation. In worst case a simple symlink in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ should be all that's needed.
I may ask a colleauge from work to try my package on the RPi. As far as i know it should work fine.
Any board with sane default paths to libraries should work (/usr/lib/), rpi is not the case.

sergio-br2

Unread post by sergio-br2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:46 am

The reicast no longer depends on python, there's a package now for the reicast-joyconfig script.

About libevdev-dev, it's in the Build-Depends, but reicast does not use it, this is why it's not in the final deps. Someone in #reicast told me that it's only an wrapper and reicast "talks" directly with the kernel, without this wrapper.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 am

sergio-br2 wrote:About libevdev-dev, it's in the Build-Depends, but reicast does not use it, this is why it's not in the final deps. Someone in #reicast told me that it's only an wrapper and reicast "talks" directly with the kernel, without this wrapper.
Actually that's not true.
That's what you would normally expect, but that's not how this is build.
(at least not in the sources I use, unless they changed it again by now)
Check core/linux-dist/evdev.cpp:27

void* lib_handle = dlopen("libevdev.so", RTLD_NOW);
libevdev.so is only part of the -dev package.

besides that, i think i figured out why your package is not working.
You said you build "as is" from sources. Well, that's most likely the issue.
The default flags won't work for many people.
Default for ODROID devices for example is building without X11 support, means only fbdev drivers will work. Most of the ODROID users have X11 systems and drivers installed, that's probably why yours issn't starting at all.
And while we are at default flags: You might want consider activating Pulse Audio support as well, since the default is not to include Pulse Audio.

sergio-br2

Unread post by sergio-br2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:46 am

I missed the "export USE_X11=1" derp me :p
There was USE_X11:=1 in the ARMhf rule in the Makefile (near line 90), but later I removed it and I forgot to add that in the debian rules. Thanks!

About the libevdev, the source does not use libevdev.h or libevdev-uinput.h from the libevdev-dev, neither it links to the library with "-levdev". I think this evdev implementation is incomplete yet.

In 40 min the package will be built, with X11 and PulseAudio enabled. Thanks for the feedback meveric!!!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:39 am

Update:
Build 12:
  • upstream patches
  • added support for PS3 controllers
Mainly adding newest changes from upstream, as well as adding requested support for PS3 controllers.

tsgiannis
languages_spoken: english

Unread post by tsgiannis » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:09 am

Hello...
I have 2 questions
1. how can we change the path for the roms
2. it seems i can't press select on the controller...i have pressed shift but nothing

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:39 am

tsgiannis wrote:Hello...
I have 2 questions
1. how can we change the path for the roms
What do you mean by "path for the roms"? You can simpy start reicast with the path to a rom and it starts, for example:

reicast /home/odroid/MyDCGames/SoulCalibur.cdi
tsgiannis wrote:2. it seems i can't press select on the controller...i have pressed shift but nothing
I believe the select button is the default "exit the program" key. The Dreamcast controller never had a select button, so the button is really not needed for anything.
Therefore using the select button as the "Exit"-Button is just a logical choice.

tsgiannis

Unread post by tsgiannis » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks meveric for the info...
In android reicast has the option for setting the path path for roms...i guessed that this also applies to linux....
As it is the data folder is located in the .reicast folder
I want to change it to something like (an external usb drive) /media/root/MyGameHDD/Dreamcast/Games
As for the select button it seems i just can "press" it.
I tried my wireless keyboard/mouse combo,a wired keyboard,a joystick...i think i have tried evey key...nothing.....just nothing can "press" the select so i am stuck on the first --set date time-- screen.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:11 pm

tsgiannis wrote:Thanks meveric for the info...
In android reicast has the option for setting the path path for roms...i guessed that this also applies to linux....
Well Linux issn't android. Android has many limitations, for example how often have you used windows in android, to run different programs side by side? Or how often do you start program from a terminal with a commandline on Android?
They needed to come up with something for Android, but all these hacks are not required under Linux.
tsgiannis wrote:As it is the data folder is located in the .reicast folder
I want to change it to something like (an external usb drive) /media/root/MyGameHDD/Dreamcast/Games
You can always just use a symlink that shows to a external folder, or mount a hardrive in that folder to use it. But really it issn't necessary, since besides the BIOS nothing needs to be in the folder. You can place your games wherever you want.
tsgiannis wrote:As for the select button it seems i just can "press" it.
I tried my wireless keyboard/mouse combo,a wired keyboard,a joystick...i think i have tried evey key...nothing.....just nothing can "press" the select so i am stuck on the first --set date time-- screen.
It looks like you forgot to configure your sytem. Check the emu.cfg file in the .reicast folder.
It holds configuration on what device is your keyboard or gamepad. You have to adapt the values in that file to match with your system.
Make sure enable_x11_keyboard is activated. So you can control it with keyboard as well.

tsgiannis

Unread post by tsgiannis » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:39 pm

thanks meveric for the info...
so in order to run a game i should start reicast from console...?
or if place it in the data folder i am just fine....?
i don't know if i made my self clear....i click reicast from the shortcut....i get the logo and then i just can press the select in order to move on....i am stuck there
As for the roms...does this variant of reicast supports rom browsing or i have to start it manually...

UPDATE...starting reicast from console i get continuous messages that "ALSA underrun occured"

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:19 pm

tsgiannis wrote:thanks meveric for the info...
so in order to run a game i should start reicast from console...?
That depends on your needs, you can create start scripts or use a frontend like emulationstation or Kodi to run the games. I use my ODROID GameStation Turbo image where the Emulator is already installed and configured in different frontends. For easy selecting and starting of games.
tsgiannis wrote:or if place it in the data folder i am just fine....?
As far as I know you can only place one image in the data folder that is used, so you would have to replace the one game over and over again to start it.
tsgiannis wrote:i don't know if i made my self clear....i click reicast from the shortcut....i get the logo and then i just can press the select in order to move on....i am stuck there
Yes, and you need a controller to move around and select stuff. Therefore you have to adapt the configuration file called emu.cfg.
If the left and right keys are working, then so is keyboard and you probably just need to push x or y to select.
I prefer to use my XBox 360 controller though.
tsgiannis wrote:As for the roms...does this variant of reicast supports rom browsing or i have to start it manually...
reicast on linux does NOT support rom browsing.
tsgiannis wrote:UPDATE...starting reicast from console i get continuous messages that "ALSA underrun occured"
Normally you should use pulse to start games, it runs much better. There's an option for that in the emu.cfg as well.
Once again, on my image all of that is already pre-configured.

tsgiannis

Unread post by tsgiannis » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Well i have some good news and some bad ones...
The magic key for select is "V"
The other keys are :A,X,Y,B,Q,Enter
The bad news is the the game is running very slow with a lot of graphic glitches....

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:00 am

tsgiannis wrote:The bad news is the the game is running very slow with a lot of graphic glitches....
That probably depends on the game. The Emulator is still in development, so it's just naturally that not all games will work perfectly.

tsgiannis

Unread post by tsgiannis » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:10 am

meveric wrote:
tsgiannis wrote:The bad news is the the game is running very slow with a lot of graphic glitches....
That probably depends on the game. The Emulator is still in development, so it's just naturally that not all games will work perfectly.
On my aging PIPO S1 is runs smoothly ....on both the PC and my C1 it has the glitches...is it something else ? maybe wrong bios

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:21 am

What game are you trying to play? I might check it on my systems and see how it works.

tsgiannis

Unread post by tsgiannis » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:37 pm

Border_Down

By the way your image which distro does it use as its base....
I ask if i can use it as i use my current setup (LAMP.+various utilities)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:24 am

tsgiannis wrote:Border_Down

By the way your image which distro does it use as its base....
The image is based on Debian Jessie.
tsgiannis wrote:I ask if i can use it as i use my current setup (LAMP.+various utilities)
Debian Jessie is known as a stable server system and apache, mysql and PHP is standard on all Linux distributions.

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread post by Cartridge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 am

Hello everyone,

I'm using Jessie and updated to latest reicast build from mev's repo. I'm trying to run Sega GT and no matter what setting I choose,
I get a choppy output. I'm using Pulse as the audio backend, changed every option available one by one and I can't seem to pinpoint why it's choppy. If I remove Dynarec, I get a nice smooth output but the FPS is about 10... Can anyone supply a config file for reicast running on Xu3? Just to confirm if it's just me (that means I have something wrong in my system) or it's really that choppy.
The speed is there though, just choppy. Even the BIOS Start logo is choppy.
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:12 am

I've played Sega GT European Edition without issues very nicely on my XU3/XU4.
I'll attach the config I use which works perfectly fine for me (please note I added a .txt at the end since the forum does not allow .cfg uploads)
Attachments
emu.cfg.txt
(816 Bytes) Downloaded 118 times

Cartridge
languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread post by Cartridge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:38 am

Ok, something's weird, I still get some minor choppy-ness. For an average joe, it wouldn't be noticeable but I can see a VERY SLIGHT ghost effect and a fraction of a section chop-like output. But the speed is 60FPS, My bios is also NTSC 60FPS... I can almost say it feels like as if I had a 1 Frameskip on.
http://cartridgeports.cf/
ODROID's DO what WinDON'T "That's Blast Processing!"

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:45 am

Try the PAL version. I have one that has an option to switch between 50 Hz and 60 Hz I found many games run better with PAL and 50 Hz (less flickering, some games ONLY work on PAL).

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:41 am

Update:
I just uploaded a new version of reicast with rumble support.
This allows you to have some nice rumbling effects in different games if your controller supports it.

Cause of this there are some changes on the emulator:
1. only 1 VMU per Gamepad
The Sega Dreamcast had a controller with two extension ports which could be used, either for e VMU (memory card) or the Jump Pack (rumble pack).
There were some other addons like a mic but it's still the same, only two ports for each controller.
Anyway, since one slot is now used by the Jump Pack you only have one VMU per Gamepad instead of two as it were before, reducing the maximum available VMUs from 8 to 4.

2. save files on "second VMUs"
If you already used the "second" VMU in one of your controllers, you can copy the save file over another VMU file and still have all the save games.
Check for the vmu_save_A1.bin until vmu_save_D2.bin files. Best to make a backup of these (just copy these files in a different folder).
In order to use the second VMU save files you can replace an existing first VMU save file for example:

cp vmu_save_D2.bin vmu_save_D1.bin
that way the first VMU of the fourth controller will be overwritten with the content of the second VMU of the fourth controller. You can also copy from different controllers A2 to C1 or something like that.
Please Note: you OVERWRITE the content of the target file, if you had savegames on these files they will be overwritten, that's why you should make a backup first.

3. new options for number of players
In the config file emu.cfg you now have an option for the number of players, this equals the number of controllers it should use.

[players]
nb = 1
To maximize the number of VMUs you have available this option should be set to 4.

Have fun with your Dreamcast games.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Update:
Reicast was updated to r8.1 from official repositories
changelog:

SDL: Fix keyboard usage
Remove evdev specific code from main.cpp
Add error message for softrend w.o X11
Round TA context to 1MB at ListInit time so it is found when rendering
Fix 32-bit vram bank mapping
Android: Fix OSD editor and standardize launch
Delete an unused variable left from testing
Android: Support disk swapping / boot disk
Revert "Fix to windows OpenFile dialog #1238"
Fix to windows OpenFile dialog #1238
Android: 99 problems and a BIOS ain't one.
Android: Fix loading game list on browse
Android: Google Play is directory-aware
CDI: Only warn if CDI image was really loaded
Google Play: "The app crashed, so we violated some policies"
Android: Explicitly set debuggable configuration
Android: Update XMLParser for API 26 standards
Maple: Corrected creation of empty VMU
Android: Avoiding faulty references to "things"
evdev: Search for libevdev.so.2 first
evdev: Fix off by one error
Core: Fix formatting of configuration options
Android: Optimization, Cleanup, and Release Prep
Extend per-game configuration options
Android: Restore processor count, Cleanup
README: Add a link for iOS build information
evdev: Mapping name as string
WIP: Fixes for Musl
Add support for libao
Mac: Reference "official" preprocessor directives
vs: Upgrade vcxproj to visual studio 2015
Android: Separate key events to avoid overrides
Fixes compiling if evdev is disabled
Android: Reimplement TheGamesDB w/ legacy API
Android: Input modification enhancements (analog)
Android: Optimize per-game config workflow
Android: Pass microphone setup through controller
Porting libretro features back to mainstream reicast
evdev: Print a warning if a key is not configured
Android: Configure peripherals independently
Android: General updates and improvements
Fixes compiling with GLES and X11
Android: Add support for dynamic peripherals
Travis: increase depth over fetching full repo
Core: Address some obvious lgtm issues
Allow configuration of maple devices #1288
Float math in alpha calculation causes some punch-through textures to…
Re-applying patches with Android workaround
Android: Remove redundancy, Eliminate hash file
Support per-game configuration files
Reconfigure GLView to match emu dimensions
man: add information about the named evdev config files
Port the dynarec safe flag from nullDC (See #84)
Android: process entire joystick event history
evdev/dupcheck: Don't check unassigned buttons
Linux/Makefile: Disable legacy joystick support
Block checks for rec-cpp
X11: Values <= 0 disable keyboard
Android: Disable the boot disk option until valid
evdev: Check for duplicate key assignment
Android: Add right stick switch to controller update
evdev: Allow two controls with the same event
Travis: Move build commands to script
Android: Fix the misleading "default disk" setting
Android: Add a function to remove all settings
Android: restore hard exiting thread (w/ notes)
Cleanup and improvements to Android Studio
iOS: Bitrise CI integration and README tag
Update libpng to 1.6.34
Issues: Fix formatting and remove default image
Restore the "last known good build configuration" w/ cleanup
Cleanup and forward-thinking integration
additionally I updated the config files for XBox and PS3 controller to work with VMU and jump pack again, as the method of using these changed.
I also added controller configuration for GameSir G3W (available from HardKernel).
I created optimized binaries for different boards (ODROID C1-series ODROID X,X2,U2/U3, ODROID XU3/XU4-series, ODROID N1)

tipoto
languages_spoken: French, English & Spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread post by tipoto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi meveric,

I finally decided to updated to 8.1 and it seems that reicast cannot load any rom anymore now. when I launch a game from the terminal (for exemple: reicast rompath.cdi), it only launchs the system manager and if I select "play" from here, it tells me "Plese insert game disc".
I spent a few hours trying to figure out the problem (manipulating Bios, emu.cfg and VMU files), but I had no result so far. Since my system is heavily customized, maybe it's because of something that I have done on my side, but I want to make sure that it only happens on my system... Does it work properly on yours?
FYI, I'm still running on the 3.1X kernel. Also I only do targeted update, and only when I need it and after a full backup of the system (like I did before updating reicast). The last time I did a full system update was long time ago, because it always breaks several things when I do that. So it could be another possible reason why reicast doesn't work properly.

Thank you!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:38 pm

I also run Kernel 3.10 so that's not an issue.
Have you tried removing the emu.cfg file and check that a new file is created?
I tested it on my side and it was working just fine.
Can you try directly starting it with reicast_odroidxu3 instead? "reicast" is now just a script.
(normally I call roms by putting them in the emu.cfg image= path and not directly from command line)

tipoto

Unread post by tipoto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Wow, it's weird... Because I already tried to delete emu.cfg and let it create a clean new emu.cfg, but it didn't work. Then later, I also tried to launch reicast_odroidxu3 directly, because I saw that reicast was actually launching your script, which was lauching reicast_odroidxu3, but it didn't work either...
And now I tried both at the same time and this time it worked! So I finally managed to launch a game eh eh :)
I think I should be able to figure out what I have to do to make it work now, I let you know if I still have a problem ;)
Thank you so much, you are always super reactive :D

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm

You should try .chd files.. Much better than cdi, as they are compressed .gdi files.

tipoto

Unread post by tipoto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Yeah I know... I use gdi and cdi files, but I didn't investigate how to compressed in CHD file yet, I just know that only CHD V4 are supported, but I need dig into this.

tipoto

Unread post by tipoto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:44 pm

It seems that part of the problem I had is due to the new per game settings feature. reicast adds lines into the emu.cfg every-time you launch a new game, in order to let you add specific settings for each games.
Here is an exemple of the type of lines that it adds:

[MK-51035]
Dynarec.Enabled = 1
aica.DelayInterrupt = 0
software.name = CRAZY TAXI

I have to adjust my launch script to make sure it doesn't interfere with these lines.

Also, I think it now uses dc_nvmem.bin instead of dc_flash.bin

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:34 pm

Yes I've seen the new lines per game.. I'm not sure about the BIOS files though as I see the following lines on boot:

Loaded /home/odroid/.reicast/data/dc_boot.bin as bootrom
Loaded /home/odroid/.reicast/data/dc_flash.bin as nvram
But maybe it "supports" more now and takes the first it finds.

Also there's another change in case you have your own controller files that you use.
You should add

maple_device1 = 1
maple_device2 = 3
To the [dreamcast] section of the controller files.
the 1 is the VMU and 3 is the Jump Pack (in case your controller support rumble).

tipoto

Unread post by tipoto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:33 pm

On my system it now uses dc_nvmem.bin, it's weird! But it's not a big deal for me.
I 'm gonna check the maple_device settings in my files, thank you for the heads up.

If you're interested, if you want to update the date in the emu.cfg before launching reicast, you can do this in your launch script:

# We need to add 20 years to the current date (we add 631123200 seconds)
# but since the limit is 2147483647 seconds (January 19th 2038), we need to loop when we reach this number (it becomes negative)
newtime=$(date +%s); let "newtime = $newtime + 631123200"; let "time_offset = $newtime - 2147483647"; let "newtime = -2147483648 + $time_offset"
sudo perl -i -p -e "s|Dreamcast.RTC = .*|Dreamcast.RTC = "$newtime"|" /home/odroid/.reicast/emu.cfg # Replace the Dreamcast.RTC value in emu.cfg
It's very strange the way the date is calculated in reicast, it's in seconds from January 1st 1970 + an offset of 20 years.
The problem is that we can't use the "date" command in order to add 20 years, because it goes after January 19th 2038, which is the limit of the 32 bit system, so I had to find a work around.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Yep I know, I've done that in the past as well. I was to lazy to implement it.

Return to “Games and Emulators”