[SOLVED] Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error - IS ACTUALLY A PLEX REPOSITORY ISSUE

Locked
User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

[SOLVED] Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error - IS ACTUALLY A PLEX REPOSITORY ISSUE

Unread post by noobs4u » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:39 am

This has been an ongoing issue since early last year. Had no problems with the initial install of Ubuntu 18 minimal in april last year (not sure of the exact image version at that time). Update and Upgrade commands worked and applied the updates/upgrades that were available. I never bothered to redo the image when the 404 error started because everything was working great. I am currently using the XU4 in Cloudshell2 as a NAS/Plex server. Instead of starting over, I just let it ride. TODAY I tried the apt-get update. Here is the error:

Code: Select all

root@odroid:~# apt-get update
Hit:1 http://deb.odroid.in/5422-s bionic InRelease
Hit:2 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:3 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic InRelease
Hit:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net/apt-fast/stable/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:5 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic-updates InRelease
Hit:6 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic-backports InRelease
Hit:7 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kyle1117/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:8 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic-security InRelease
Ign:9 https://dev2day.de/pms jessie InRelease
Err:10 https://dev2day.de/pms jessie Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 2a01:4f8:200:502e::2 443]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'https://dev2day.de/pms jessie Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
root@odroid:~#
Right after I did

Code: Select all

apt-get upgrade
and then

Code: Select all

apt-get dist-upgrade
and upgrades were available and installed! This is a FIRST since the 404 error began. Is there a fix to this error for apt-get update?


[UPDATE]

This is a plex repository issue!
Last edited by noobs4u on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:05 am, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7572
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 300 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:29 am

Can you force apt to use only ipv4?

User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by noobs4u » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:16 pm

mad_ady wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:29 am
Can you force apt to use only ipv4?
I don't know how to do that but I would like to try.

[update]

after a quick google search:

Code: Select all

root@odroid:~# apt-get -o Acquire::ForceIPv4=true update
Hit:1 http://deb.odroid.in/5422-s bionic InRelease
Hit:2 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic InRelease
Hit:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/apt-fast/stable/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:4 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic-updates InRelease
Hit:5 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:6 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic-backports InRelease
Hit:7 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kyle1117/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease
Ign:8 https://dev2day.de/pms jessie InRelease
Hit:9 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports bionic-security InRelease
Err:10 https://dev2day.de/pms jessie Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 144.76.172.47 443]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'https://dev2day.de/pms jessie Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
root@odroid:~#
same error but with the IPv4 IP address instead....

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7572
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 300 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Ok, in that case, most likely the dev2day repository either moved to a different url, or has other issues. Try contacting them to see how to fix it. Other updates (from other sources) still work.

User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by noobs4u » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:06 am

https://dev2day.de does not support any repositories currently. Why is there not a STICKY on this forum regarding this?

User avatar
igorpec
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:34 pm
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 50 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by igorpec » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 am

noobs4u wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:06 am
Why is there not a STICKY on this forum regarding this?
What has this project to do with Odroid?
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools

User avatar
meveric
Posts: 10861
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105)
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 284 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:10 pm

noobs4u wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:06 am
https://dev2day.de does not support any repositories currently. Why is there not a STICKY on this forum regarding this?
Cause this was a PRIVATE THIRD PARTY repository from someone.
Someone that has no connection to ODROID or HardKernel what so ever.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by noobs4u » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:08 am

igorpec wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:57 am
noobs4u wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:06 am
Why is there not a STICKY on this forum regarding this?
What has this project to do with Odroid?
Are you suggesting ODROID has nothing to do with their own official OS repository for the products they sell? How else would we able to use an ubuntu OS if ODROID didn't modify it with the proper kernel to run their hardware? Not everyone has the ability to compile there own flavor of ubuntu to run these wonderful devices that ODROID has graced us with. By purchasing an XU4, CloudShell2 and using their official OS, it has everything to do with ODROID.

[UPDATE]


This appears to be a 404 error triggered by the plex update repository being moved to plex.tv from dev2day. It has nothing to do with Ubuntu updates or ODROID
Last edited by noobs4u on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by noobs4u » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:25 am

meveric wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:10 pm
noobs4u wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:06 am
https://dev2day.de does not support any repositories currently. Why is there not a STICKY on this forum regarding this?
Cause this was a PRIVATE THIRD PARTY repository from someone.
Someone that has no connection to ODROID or HardKernel what so ever.
I'm using ODROID's official OS repository for ODROID's XU4. It's a problem when the official OS's for ODROID products are subject to a personal repository that no longer exists for updates. Yet "apt-get upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" are not hindered. It is natural as a customer, using the official ODROID OS, that I would assume that ODROID would be addressing the absence of the "apt-update" 404 error of the official OS's for the hardware they sell.

I'm not point fingers or looking for fault. I'm looking for a solution to the current problem of "apt-get update". Does anyone know if updates point to a new repository now? If so, then all I need to know is where to point my "apt-get update" request.

[UPDATE]

This appears to be a 404 error triggered by the plex update repository being moved to plex.tv from dev2day. It has nothing to do with Ubuntu updates or ODROID.
Last edited by noobs4u on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by noobs4u » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 am

I have explored the apt source list:

Code: Select all

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic main restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic main restricted

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates main restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates main restricted

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic universe
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic universe
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates universe
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates universe

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic multiverse
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates multiverse

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic partner

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security main restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security main restricted
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security universe
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security universe
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security multiverse
I don't see a problem from an OS update perspective. From what I can tell, dev2day supported the plex.tv update for arm devices. If this is the actual reason for the 404 error, does anyone know what file to modify or commands to use to point toward plex.tv official repository?

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7572
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 300 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:51 am

So, to put things straight - Hardkernel offers the base image, kernel updates, etc. Once you start installing software, you're on your own. You installed a repo for plex, most likely without understanding what you were doing. That's fine, and adds to user-friendlyness, but when things break, linux assumes you're a seasoned sysadmin and throws usually very technical errors your way.
Now, usually google for the error and sites like stackoverflow explain the problem and offer solutions.This helps people learn and build experience (though linux has a rough learning curve).

Now, you can't expect Hardkernel to be responsible with what you install or how you configure your system. It's like holding Microsoft accountable for a problem with your Steam update.

Oh, one more thing: you can still update and install new packages in this state, but it won't look for packages in that particular repo. You can probably find the file in /etc/apt/sources.list.
Have a look at the xu4 manual too. It explains some basic stuff about the board.

User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error

Unread post by noobs4u » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:58 am

noobs4u wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 am
I don't see a problem from an OS update perspective. From what I can tell, dev2day supported the plex.tv update for arm devices. If this is the actual reason for the 404 error, does anyone know what file to modify or commands to use to point toward plex.tv official repository?
Clearly you are correct and I came to that realization the moment I noticed in my ignorance that dev2day supported a repository for plex updates and nothing else. Hence my post above. And again, not here to argue. Looking for a solution [locate the proper file to edit] so "apt-get update" retrieves from the proper repository at plex.tv and not dev2day.de.
mad_ady wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:51 am
Oh, one more thing: you can still update and install new packages in this state, but it won't look for packages in that particular repo. You can probably find the file in /etc/apt/sources.list.
I posted this already:
noobs4u wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 am
I have explored the apt source list:

Code: Select all

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic main restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic main restricted

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates main restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates main restricted

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic universe
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic universe
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates universe
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates universe

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic multiverse
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-updates multiverse

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic partner

deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security main restricted
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security main restricted
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security universe
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security universe
deb http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security multiverse
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ bionic-security multiverse
I don't see a problem from an OS update perspective. From what I can tell, dev2day supported the plex.tv update for arm devices. If this is the actual reason for the 404 error, does anyone know what file to modify or commands to use to point toward plex.tv official repository?


If anyone already knows where I can find a post in the ODROID forums about this, please point me in the right direction or post the link. Otherwise I believe I'll have to go to plex.tv to get the answer. I'll properly update this post when I find the existing answer to this already solved 404 error. Apologies for getting defensive with @igorpec and @meveric.

User avatar
noobs4u
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C2
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error - IS ACTUALLY A PLEX REPOSITORY ISSUE

Unread post by noobs4u » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:03 am

Here is the steps to fix the 404 error: https://github.com/uglymagoo/plexmedias ... 5d4f9c9b6b

Here is the discussion: https://forums.plex.tv/t/official-pms-f ... /372290/35

Would be awesome if this was a sticky somewhere. But I supposed most are better at google than me.

Please close this as solved.
These users thanked the author noobs4u for the post:
odroid (Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:51 am)

User avatar
mad_ady
Posts: 7572
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2, Go, Go Advance
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 300 times
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS apt-get update 404 Error - IS ACTUALLY A PLEX REPOSITORY ISSUE

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:06 am

Sorry, I meant to say /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
Glad to hear you sorted it out

Locked

Return to “Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests