[SOLVED] HC1 boot loop [ VIDEO ]

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

[SOLVED] HC1 boot loop [ VIDEO ]

Unread postby potpot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:49 am

No matter what I try it follows always the same LED sequence.
I've been watching some videos where the board boots normally and definetly nothing even close.

Build:

Board: Odroid HC1

Powersupply: non Oficial DC 5V @ 4A

SD card, que 3 types, 2 x CAT10 and 1 x CAT4
ImageDrive: SSD Samsung EVO

Odroid HC1 boot loop video
https://youtu.be/hnt5YwCYm20

A little bit desperate tbh, starting to think that the this board has an issue.
POTPOT
Last edited by potpot on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
potpot

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid HC1

Re: HC1 boot loop [ VIDEO ]

Unread postby moon.linux » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Flash the image on sdcard and first boot after resize of the partitions on sdcard it stop. Please see the release notes for details.
Code: Select all
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_images/linux/ubuntu_4.14/20180531#new_features

It's not are board issue.
moon.linux

Unread postby potpot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:00 pm

moon.linux wrote:Flash the image on sdcard and first boot after resize of the partitions on sdcard it stop. Please see the release notes for details.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_images/linux/ubuntu_4.14/20180531#new_features

It's not are board issue.

The RootFS Auto-resize feature has changed!!!
Once everything is done after auto-resize, the power will turn off automatically. Wait a couple of minutes.
And press the power button or unplug-plug the DC plug when the blue LED is off.

This dos not work. The 'LED blue-off perdiod' does not stands forever like I could count 2 min. Anyway, I gave it a try and no success whatsoever...

LED Sequence

green on; red on; blue on (~6 sec)
    green on; red on; blue off (~14 sec) <--- unpluged here at second 13
    plugged again
    starting the sequence again...
potpot

Unread postby moon.linux » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:09 pm

moon.linux

Unread postby moon.linux » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:14 pm

potpot wrote:No matter what I try it does always the same LED secuens.
I've been watching some videos where the board boots normally and definetly nothing even close.

Build:

Board: Odroid HC1

Powersupply: non Oficial DC 5V @ 4A

Is the key issue to use official power supply with the board, if you use other power supply it will destroy the board.

You need to use the offical power supply for the board.
https://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G144239561365

I face this issue with continuous reboot until I realized I have plugged in wrong power supply.
moon.linux

Unread postby potpot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:27 pm

https://www.amazon.es/ODROID-XU4-5V-4A-EU-alimentaci%C3%B3n/dp/B06Y3VYVYY/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr2_2?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&qid=1534666770&sr=8-2-fkmr2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Hc1+power+supply+odroid this one?

To be honest, the power supply that I have, even its not the official one, I bought in an electronic store and it's SMPS 5V@4A power supply. Would be great to understand the difference between the two of them for my own mental health. :)
potpot

Unread postby potpot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:43 pm

potpot wrote:https://www.amazon.es/ODROID-XU4-5V-4A-EU-alimentaci%C3%B3n/dp/B06Y3VYVYY/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr2_2?__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&qid=1534666770&sr=8-2-fkmr2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Hc1+power+supply+odroid this one?

To be honest, the power supply that I have, even its not the official one, I bought in an electronic store and it's SMPS 5V@4A power supply. Would be great to understand the difference between the two of them for my own mental health. :)

My point is that if the recommendation is to buy the official one, this should be written somewhere close the board requirements.
potpot

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 pm

couple of thing`s you could try with your after-market supply...

`1: put a 10000uf 16volt capacitor across the output terminal`s so as to pull up the current and filter out some of the nasty noise that may be present on the supply output..ripple etc..etc and make the supply work a little harder,,thus changing the mark space ratio of the switching circuit`s...

2:..put a cro on the output have a look at the voltage..it may have quite some nasty ripple causing your issue..maybe..dunno without sitting where you r..

3: put an ammeter in the line and watch the current as it boot`s..
Odroids and an amd 64 bit x86 machine..
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: N-1..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...u-3..
u-2...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby phaseshifter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 pm

it also takes a[approx a1-1 1/2 minuets to boot do you use a uart kit serial like .....i have not noticed..if so this may show what is going on...if so disregard this
post...

failing to win i`d swap out the sd-card and try the latest image on it do you use etcher..
phaseshifter

Unread postby potpot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 am

PS details:

There's a ferrite bead close to the connector, that's something... Attached some images.

So the fact that the board behaves like this is due to a low voltage, not delivering enough current and noise?

phaseshifter wrote:couple of thing`s you could try with your after-market supply...

`1: put a 10000uf 16volt capacitor across the output terminal`s so as to pull up the current and filter out some of the nasty noise that may be present on the supply output..ripple etc..etc and make the supply work a little harder,,thus changing the mark space ratio of the switching circuit`s...

2:..put a cro on the output have a look at the voltage..it may have quite some nasty ripple causing your issue..maybe..dunno without sitting where you r..

3: put an ammeter in the line and watch the current as it boot`s..

1. I don't have any capacitor close to me but I'll try to look inside the power supply, I'll send some pictures... Just to see if it has something similar.

2. The closest oscilloscope that I have is at college ad not open till Sept. :)

3. Looking a way to do that.
Image Image
potpot

Unread postby potpot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 am

phaseshifter wrote:it also takes a[approx a1-1 1/2 minuets to boot do you use a uart kit serial like .....i have not noticed..if so this may show what is going on...if so disregard this
post...

failing to win i`d swap out the sd-card and try the latest image on it do you use etcher..
Kit serial is something that is on my mind but I will have to order it, I'll have to look for one...

I've tried the latest iso image no luck, actually l the isos behaved the same way.
potpot

Unread postby Tomas J. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:40 am

You can try measure supply voltage on header pins when booting (carefully not to short) on extension header pins - if it falls below 4.8V - try another PSU.
Tomas J.

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby potpot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm

I think that I should not waste my time trying to fix this...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
potpot

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:16 pm

i dont know why you opened up the supply..however the 2 680uF caps located at the output power of the supply are the filter caps..prolly were ok when the supply was new..

it look`s to me that the supply has sustained water or condensation damage at some point in time..
it looks kind of like it`s done some hard work as well..
i would not stress this point but i would get another if i were you..

get a meanwell or something like that a simple switch-mode supplt at 5 volt 6 amp should be very adequate..

the under side of the board look`s kinda feesable but it still shows signs of heat wear on some of the solder joints..

my op point toss it..that is entirely up to you..
phaseshifter

Unread postby phaseshifter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 pm

yes throw it away..pls get either a h-k supply or an after market switch mode 5 volt 6 amp..y 6 amp just to have some head room if your hdd`s are heavy on current..
phaseshifter

Unread postby potpot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 pm

phaseshifter wrote:i dont know why you opened up the supply..however the 2 680uF caps located at the output power of the supply are the filter caps..prolly were ok when the supply was new..

it look`s to me that the supply has sustained water or condensation damage at some point in time..
it looks kind of like it`s done some hard work as well..
i would not stress this point but i would get another if i were you..

get a meanwell or something like that a simple switch-mode supplt at 5 volt 6 amp should be very adequate..

the under side of the board look`s kinda feesable but it still shows signs of heat wear on some of the solder joints..

my op point toss it..that is entirely up to you..

Well I've opened coz too many signs that something was wrong with a 'bran new' and PS, and look just figured out that it was a refurbished ps with a notorious bad shape of it.

Yes, but I will look for an alternative.
potpot

Unread postby potpot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:10 pm

phaseshifter wrote:yes throw it away..pls get either a h-k supply or an after market switch mode 5 volt 6 amp..y 6 amp just to have some head room if your hdd`s are heavy on current..

I'll come back to close the thread once I've get a new power supply :)
potpot

Unread postby potpot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:11 am

Finally got a spsm DC 5V @5.20V 5A, problem solved.

No more boot poop issue.

Thanks all! Image

Sent from my MI 6X using Tapatalk
potpot

Unread postby phaseshifter » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:22 am

just a further note..

your going to need a d.c power cord..if you make a new supply lead use 18 gauge d.c power cable..this will ensure that you don’t get a large voltage drop due to cable length..

also what you could do is cut the d.c power lead off the old supply this should suffice..although it could have suffered dialectic breakdown due to it prior use..

get some 18 gauge cable and a power plug would be best..make a new lead.
you may find that your getting a huge voltage drop if you use the old d.c power lead..

also put a meter on the output terminals of the new supply and bump it up to 5.3 volts..this will help if your getting any voltage drop due to cable length..you could go as high as 5.4 but no higher..

it`s difficult to measure the voltage drop at the hc-1 end ..but if your getting boot loops this will mean most likely that you need to bump the output voltage a little higher..

also meanwell was the first supply that came to me off the top of my head..there are better ones out there..do a web search..
Attachments
P1040303.JPG
my power supply home made behind the white bard is a multi tapped switch mode supply 300 watt..90% efficiency well that is what the advert stated..you cannot always go by what adverts say..imo...
P1040303.JPG (156.5 KiB) Viewed 180 times
phaseshifter

Unread postby potpot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:06 am

phaseshifter wrote:just a further note..

your going to need a d.c power cord..if you make a new supply lead use 18 gauge d.c power cable..this will ensure that you don’t get a large voltage drop due to cable length..

also what you could do is cut the d.c power lead off the old supply this should suffice..although it could have suffered dialectic breakdown due to it prior use..

get some 18 gauge cable and a power plug would be best..make a new lead.
you may find that your getting a huge voltage drop if you use the old d.c power lead..

also put a meter on the output terminals of the new supply and bump it up to 5.3 volts..this will help if your getting any voltage drop due to cable length..you could go as high as 5.4 but no higher..

it`s difficult to measure the voltage drop at the hc-1 end ..but if your getting boot loops this will mean most likely that you need to bump the output voltage a little higher..

also meanwell was the first supply that came to me off the top of my head..there are better ones out there..do a web search..

Didnt heard about AWG but according to this table should be an AWG 15 instead of 18 https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jD44ZIApOrw/ ... 00/awg.png

BTW no more boot loops at least right now @5.2V

potpot

Unread postby phaseshifter » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:03 pm

15 18 wont make a great deal of difference maybe point 1 of a volt over a meter..length

best though keep power cables to a minimum lent but yet also practical..good to hear that you got it going..does the supply run quiet..why i ask is that it should not make a sound if all is well..
on a previous occasion i had an issue topic thread with a bad one of them ..seems they must haver lifted their game as the seem to be a big market of them around the web..

any way at 5.2 that is just fine.. no boot loop`s and i doubt that you will have any further issue`s supply wise..also good you went 5 amp a little of spec`s is not such a bad thing..all the best..phase..
phaseshifter

Unread postby potpot » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:26 am

phaseshifter wrote:15 18 wont make a great deal of difference maybe point 1 of a volt over a meter..length

best though keep power cables to a minimum lent but yet also practical..good to hear that you got it going..does the supply run quiet..why i ask is that it should not make a sound if all is well..
on a previous occasion i had an issue topic thread with a bad one of them ..seems they must haver lifted their game as the seem to be a big market of them around the web..

any way at 5.2 that is just fine.. no boot loop`s and i doubt that you will have any further issue`s supply wise..also good you went 5 amp a little of spec`s is not such a bad thing..all the best..phase..
I'll try to get an 18 asap I see one and regarding any noise coming out from the PS, quite as hell.

My impression is that I've got one in a good shape :) like I said, no noise, no heat... In fact now that I remember the aluminum from the hc1 is quite quite hot but not as much my router is. :)

potpot

Return to Issues