Cloudshell no longer supported?

Fourdee
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1 / C2 / XU4 + Cloudshell.
Has thanked: 0

Cloudshell no longer supported?

Post by Fourdee »

Hi all,

Enable Cloudshell LCD display and reboot with no HDMI attached. As per your wiki: http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... lcd_config

Code: Select all

echo "options fbtft_device name=hktft9340 busnum=1 rotate=270" > /etc/modprobe.d/odroid-cloudshell.conf
echo "spi_s3c64xx" >> /etc/modules
echo "fbtft_device" >> /etc/modules
Fresh install using the official HK images.
ubuntu-15.04-mate-odroid-xu3-20150710.img = No power/output
ubuntu-14.04.1lts-lubuntu-odroid-xu3-20150212.img = No power/output

Fresh install using DietPi image (based on Meveric image):
DietPi running Kernel 3.10.82 = Fine.
DietPi running Kernel > 3.10.82 = No power/output.

Modprobe:

root@odroid:~# modprobe fbtft_device
modprobe: FATAL: Module fbtft_device not found.
root@odroid:~# modprobe spi_s3c64xx
root@odroid:~#
Appears HK are no longer compiling kernel with cloudshell support?
http://DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Odroid.
DietPi web hosting is powered by http://MyVirtualServer.com

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Re: Cloudshell no longer supported?

Post by meveric »

there is no Kernel > 3.10.82, unless you use the 4.2rc build, which probably just misses the modules.
Neither 15.04 mate nor 14.04.1 have the right Kernel (3.10.82) pre-installed.. only one of the newest 3.10.82 kernel (from at least around August) has support for the cloud shell display.. so a "fresh" image will never work, without Kernel update :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:there is no Kernel > 3.10.82, unless you use the 4.2rc build, which probably just misses the modules.
Neither 15.04 mate nor 14.04.1 have the right Kernel (3.10.82) pre-installed.. only one of the newest 3.10.82 kernel (from at least around August) has support for the cloud shell display.. so a "fresh" image will never work, without Kernel update :)
On your image:
If we use your XU3.list repo (which comes preinstalled with your image http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=5908&f=52), we get the following after running apt-get upgrade:
update_same_kernel.png
(43.48 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
If we install this "same" kernel, from your repo, it breaks cloudshell. No output or power. Before the kernel update, the cloudshell works fine.

On the Official HK 15.04 image:
Updating the kernel to latest has no effect on the cloudshell display, it still has no power or output.

So at the moment, the only way I can get cloudshell to function, is using your image, whilst disabling your repo from sources.d.

I'd love to hear from Odroid on this. Whats the point in selling a great device, then forgetting it exists. It appears you don't even test your images with the products you sell?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

That's odd.. i just tried for myself.. I updated my cloudshell to the newest Kernel version of my repo and rebooted it.
Aftwards, the Display of the cloudshell was off.
I remote logged into the device and did a "modprobe fbtft_device" after that, the display came up correctly again.
That's kinda strange, since the device already stands in /etc/modules.
Not sure why /etc/modules is not working correctly.
I edited /etc/rc.local and added a modprobe fbtft_device there.
Now the cloudshell boots up correctly again.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote: I edited /etc/rc.local and added a modprobe fbtft_device there.
Now the cloudshell boots up correctly again.
Yep, thats one bizzare bug lol :)
We also had issue with DietPi (using your image) across identical XU4's. Some were fine, others hanged on boot after filesystem expansion. Updating the kernel using your repo, then updating the image, fixes the issues for those users which hung on boot.
So not entirely sure what the cause is, possible corruption during your image creation, or, Odroid not using the same manufacturing process for identical revisions?

I finally got the official HK image 15.04 to work with cloudshell using 3.10.82-57.
The 14.04 HK image doesn't contain the kernel as apt, so i added your XU3 repo and installed the kernel, cloudshell worked, but system hangs on I2C during boot.

meveric

Post by meveric »

It's really odd.. My image is nothing special, it's just a basic ubuntu server rootfs, nothing out of Ubuntu installed besides the Kernels from me, so I doubt the image should be an issue.
Odd is that /etc/modules worked before Kernel updates, but not afterwards, means the image was working at some point, but not afterwards.
I wonder if something happens to that particular module or to the Kernel. There were only a couple of commits after the fbtft module was included into the Kernel.. I try to check and see if something is happend there.

Edit:
I just checked the dmesg from my last boot and found the following:

dmesg | grep fbtft
[   13.167262] [c6] fbtft_device:  SPI devices registered:
[   13.167279] [c6] fbtft_device:  'fb' Platform devices registered:
[   13.167519] [c6] fbtft_device:  spi_busnum_to_master(1) returned NULL
[   13.173163] [c6] fbtft_device: failed to register SPI device
[   19.595725] [c6] fbtft_device:  SPI devices registered:
[   19.595742] [c6] fbtft_device:  'fb' Platform devices registered:
[   19.596335] [c6] fbtft_device:  GPIOS used by 'hktft9340':
[   19.596346] [c6] fbtft_device:    'reset' = GPIO21
[   19.596354] [c6] fbtft_device:    'dc' = GPIO22
[   19.596363] [c6] fbtft_device:    'led' = GPIO18
[   19.596374] [c6] fbtft_device:  SPI devices registered:
[   19.596385] [c6] fbtft_device:      fb_ili9340 spi1.0 40000kHz 8 bits mode=0x00
The first try at 13 seconds into booting seems to be the /etc/modules, as we can see it fails to register, while later 19seconds into boot, the same device could be registered.

meveric

Post by meveric »

HA! found it :D
Issue is, that it's trying to register register an SPI device, before SPI is loaded.
So here's how you fix your /etc/modules

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.
spi_s3c64xx
fbtft_device
And now it's working again :)

Fourdee

Post by Fourdee »

meveric wrote:HA! found it :D
Issue is, that it's trying to register register an SPI device, before SPI is loaded.
So here's how you fix your /etc/modules

spi_s3c64xx
fbtft_device
And now it's working again :)
Great stuff, bl**dy good find! :)

Return to “Issues”