Odroid XU
eMMC 8Gb (linux)
eMMC 16Gb (Android 4.2.2)
USB WiFi Dongle
BenQ GL2250 with sound via HDMI

XU3 eMMC issue, and won't boot microSD to fix bootpart

Unread post by Vespucci187 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Hello Odroid,
I have an XU3 with an eMMC card of 16gb with a blue sticker written 16 on it.

This card has been working with, as I can recall correctly, Xubuntu 13.10. It was fine.

The problem was that it wouldn't update properly anymore, so I thought, this is because you need the latest LTS 14.04 image.

I downloaded the image for XU3 (20150212) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
I have a proper SD-card reader, so I first written the eMMC with command:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc (SDC is the address which Gparted showed me, then I unmounted it before doing it), to make sure the storage is clear.
Then I did the same only then to dd the lubuntu 14.04 image as input file. Also sync-ed after finishing a few times ( I forgot to say this in the first version of my post, sorry)

After this I tried to boot it with the XU3. I saw then green and red LED were ON, and thats it....
Then I readed the forums and I thought, this has to do with the fact that the eMMC boot part is not proper. For this I downloaded the file sd2emmc_installer-odroidxu320141210.img.
This one I flashed it to a good quality SD card.
I followed the instructions to set CC1 off so it will boot SD card, with the eMMC attached also (so the copy process would be initiated).
Then back in the XU3 only red light. So I repeated the flashing and this procedure for a few times.
Then I thought, no this is not going to work. There has to be another issue, since I can remember never have been able to boot from SD on my XU3. On my other odroid the U3, booting from SD with the proper image is no problem.

My question is, can I recover the boot part of the eMMC, which is meant for the XU3, on my U3 device? And then to expect it working on the XU3? And from there to flash Lubuntu on it?

I hope it makes sense what I have written. Please give me feedback if I am not clear.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: XU3 eMMC issue, and won't boot microSD to fix bootpart

Unread post by odroid » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:19 pm

If the Green LED and red LED is ON, the boot loader in your eMMC is okay. No need the recovery process.
Just flash the OS image on the eMMC and it will work.

I think your USB card reader or flashing process could be a problem.
Please try the Win32DiskImager in this link. It is a very important and reliable VERIFICATION function.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... diskimager

Vespucci187
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: .
Odroid U3 Community Edition
Odroid XU
eMMC 8Gb (linux)
USB WiFi Dongle

Unread post by Vespucci187 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Thank you for the reply.

One more question, so I have to use Win32diskimager, even on my Linux platform?
I have flashed multiple times an image for my U3, and somehow it seems that the U3 is less 'sensitive' or more stable? Nevertheless, I am curious if you mean to use win32diskimager on ubuntu (my desktop platform where I flash the images on) because it sounds to me that that is not what you mean.

Thanks

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:06 pm

As far as I know, there is no such tools for Linux yet.

Another possible root cause is your USB card reader might not be compatible with the eMMC adapter.
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2725

Anyway, XU3 is not so sensible. I just want to say the reliable flashing is important.

Vespucci187
Odroid XU
eMMC 8Gb (linux)
USB WiFi Dongle

Unread post by Vespucci187 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Yes, but I still can conclude, that when it starts, and the green light gives a quick flash and then stable on, withthe red one, after that it keeps the same, no blue 'heartbeat'. I tried to find out were maybe boot errors in a log reside, but I can't seem to get info, or is it possible?
I will keep trying repeating the proces

Vespucci187
Odroid XU
eMMC 8Gb (linux)
USB WiFi Dongle

Unread post by Vespucci187 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 pm

I solved it!
I have ordered an Zotac ID18. Because I simply can't take it anymore. The xu3 served good for me a few months, but now I will touch it in the future if I plan to spent lots of time on it, but for now I just want a working solution. I know I spent a lot of money on that XU3 but for me I think the U3 is the best value for money, just because I have never had problems with the U3. The XU3 on the other hand, it only gave me pain.
Thanks for the help anyways.

bdeeming
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by bdeeming » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:55 am

I have just run into the same issue with my XU4. I was following the ArchLinux install instructions http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... odroid-xu4, got to the part where I had to insert the eMMC card into the XU4 using the SD adaptor (boot in uSd mode) to run sd_fusing on it - but it just stayed stone cold (blue light didn't even flicker once). Taking it out of the adaptor & placing it in eMMC boot mode at least did a single flicker, but stopped there (this is what makes me think it's a similar problem).

I'm using a uSD-to-SD card converter (the size adapter thingy's), which they say don't work for this job, so I was highly suspect of it.

My solution:
  1. Run through the eMMC card instructions as described, up until you get to the point you have to boot it in SD mode on the XU4
  2. Run through the SD card instructions using an SD card (I had a spare 2GB one lying around)
  3. Install the SD card to the SD card slot in the XU4, install the eMMC card into the eMMC slot. Shift the boot switch to uSD boot mode
  4. Power up & log in
  5. Switch to root and run sd_fusing (essentially step 3 of the Arch eMMC instructions):

Code: Select all

su root
    cd /boot
    ./sd_fusing.sh /dev/mmcblk0
  6. Continue as if nothing had ever gone wrong... (power off, switch to eMMC boot mode, etc)

Gnukman
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by Gnukman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:05 am

I have followed the previous steps successfully.
I was able to load my XU4 into the Android OS which was created by the recovery uSD.

I need some assistance navigating Android OS; I want to install Ubuntu 1510 on the eMMC instead. There is no sudo or apt-get in this OS :(.

I am having a very difficult time searching for solutions. Whenever I search anything Android, I always seem to end up on phones.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: N-1..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...u-3..
u-2...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread post by phaseshifter » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:08 am

@gunkman
you should pls start your own thread

all you need to do is re-flash the ubuntu image onto the emmc card as you normally would do..
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

Return to “Issues”