Strange Boot Fail with HDMI on XU4 with newer Images.

PlasticMouse
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4Q

Strange Boot Fail with HDMI on XU4 with newer Images.

Unread post by PlasticMouse » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:32 am

Hi all,

I hope I've exhaustively searched for this issue as I can't find anything quite like it.

I recently bought a, XU4Q with case and power from odroid.uk, who were very fast, so far so good, however:

In short, with the newer Ubuntu Minimal images and Armbian, from a selection of sd cards with HDMI plugged in, from a fresh cold power on it will display output and boot until around the rng message limiting time and then the blue light will go out and the red light will stay on and it will freeze. If I do this on the same selection of Scan Disk Ultra and Scan Disk Extremes (4 in total) with the current ORA (1.5.2, an old 3.10 kernel) image it will boot fine every time. I've gone back to the oldest Ubuntu 16.04 image with xu3, ubuntu-16.04-minimal-odroid-xu3-20160706 I believe, on all sd cards and it will boot fine every time with HDMI plugged in. If I remove HDMI and let the system boot headless it will boot fine with every compatible XU4 image no matter the kernel. I can also plug the hdmi back in after boot and it will be fine. I have done this with 2 new large TV's and a new Benq monitor. If I reboot the system with say 18.04, or other new image, after it has failed to boot further than the rng limiting message by pressing the power button, it will fail again. If I leave it to get warm after a failed boot by leaving the power in and the red light on, say 55+ C to touch the heatsink, it will boot fine with the hdmi plugged in 9/10 times....

The power is a recommended block bought with the XU4Q from odroid uk and measures 5.2V at the barrel and in all boot scenarios, successful and unsuccessful, it measures 5.14 at the start of boot from the GPIO 5v to gnd and never drops lower than 5.03V during the boot process.

The rng message limit as the last message is also around the time the remount happens, Armbian 5.2. on the Benq gave a possible hint as the only system to display:

Code: Select all

dwmmc_exynos 12220000.mmc unexpected interrupt latency 
when it halted with HDMI plugged in. Without HDMI plugged in it works fine of course.

The SSDs have been verified after writing and I've block checked them, they are a 16GB, 64GB and 128GB New SanDisk Ultra and a new 128GB SanDisk Extreme, they also all work with my PI2's and Pi 3B+, as do all the HDMI cables I've tested, which are all high quality thick 4k capable cables of 3 different lengths, 1.5m, 2m and 4 m.

At the moment I'm at a loss other than a strange hardware bug which is exposed with newer firmware and so a need to RMA this board?

All help is appreciated and I will try to answer any questions as completely as possible.

Many thanks. :)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Strange Boot Fail with HDMI on XU4 with newer Images.

Unread post by odroid » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:08 am

Did you flash this image with Etcher? https://wiki.odroid.com/troubleshooting ... s#flashing
ubuntu-18.04.1-4.14-minimal-odroid-xu4-20181203.img.xz

What is the native resolution of your HDMI monitor?

PlasticMouse

Unread post by PlasticMouse » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:08 am

Hi,

Yes, I have tested with etcher and ubuntu-18.04.1-4.14-minimal-odroid-xu4-20181203.img.xz and I have MD5 checked my downloads. The Samsung Smart TV is a native 1080p @ 60 Hz, the Benq Monitor is a native 2k @60Hz and the Panasonic Smart TV is a native 4k @ 60Hz.

Cheers.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Let's try to narrow down root causes.

Please use your BenQ 1080p monitor for below tests.

Edit boot.ini file in the FAT partition.
Uncomment Line #28
https://github.com/mdrjr/5422_bootini/b ... ot.ini#L28
And change HPD option to "false"
https://github.com/mdrjr/5422_bootini/b ... t.ini#L160

If it doesn't work, boot your XU4 with above changes first and plug you HDMI monitor later.

PlasticMouse

Unread post by PlasticMouse » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 am

Hi,

doing that on any of my screens gives the same behavior when hdmi is plugged in, where by the boot stops and hangs with a cursor on the screen at around the remount operation. Without hdmi plugged in and then the hdmi plugged in later, the screens report 1080p @ 60Hz when plugged in, but then no signal and just a blank screen, though the blue kernel light is slowly heart beating. The keyboard is also responsive and after some enter key pressing the xu4 becomes responsive to pings and ssh. Alt F2 provides no screen output either.

Interesting, I hope that helps.

odroid
Site Admin

Unread post by odroid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 am

It is quite strange how it could boot the old 3.10 Kernel images.
I think some portion of your XU4 board seems to have a hardware issue which blocks booting the latest Kernel 4.14.

Please contact your local distributor for RMA with a link of this thread.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Return to “Issues”