No automount for ntfs USB3.0 stick.

npatch
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

No automount for ntfs USB3.0 stick.

Unread post by npatch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:15 am

Doesn't automount a USB3.0 stick. Also doesn't mount through the file management. Repeatedly throws error that it hasn't got permission to do the operation.
From terminal, I ran sudo gnome-disks to open the Disks utility and just clicked on mount then. The device was then mounted but then I couldn't see the content because it threw an error that the filesystem was wrong or something.
ntfs-3g is installed and at the latest version.
Searched the forums a bit but didn't find a thread with this issue,mostly they talk about slow performance.

The stick works on a desktop(128GB ntfs). The board is a brand new XU4 with all recent updates.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: No automount for ntfs USB3.0 stick.

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 am

Try to mount it from the command line (sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/ntfs) to see where it complains. Look also at dmesg output after mount attempt. It may refuse to mount if it was removed uncleanly from the other system.

lazlo

Unread post by lazlo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

If Linux (or any Unix-like OS) gives an error that says "permission denied" that is exactly what it means. Make sure that your user account has permission to access what you are trying to access. Read up on /etc/group and auto-mounting removable media. Check the permissions of the mount point because that can be inherited by subdirectories. For removable media you might need to be in the "plugdev" group. Finally, try not to give yourself move permissions than you really need.

Edit: Just to make things a bit more clear..

File ownership in Linux is based on three parts. The first part of ownership is the user account, the second part is the group, and the third part is everyone not in the first two parts. File modes (permissions) can be set for reading, writing, and executing in each of these categories. Two programs that might come in handy are "chmod" (CHange MODe) and "chown" (CHange OWNer). Try not to use these at first. See if you can get away with simply adding your account to the correct group(s) and then logging out and logging back in. If you do have to use chmod then remember the meme: "Friends don't let friends chmod 777!"

Last, I find this handy now and then to check my math before I commit changes to permissions: http://www.onlineconversion.com/html_ch ... ulator.htm

npatch

Unread post by npatch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 am

After the first post I did try to mount it with ntfs-3g with the usual way and I did manage it.
My issue was that it wasn't automounted,even though ntfs-3g is installed(so it might have defaulted to some other driver as I read in other threads) and since it's ubuntu, it's weird to me that it didn't automount it. Ofc, I've only ever used desktop ubuntu so not familiar with this distro and whether it's been modified in some way.

Ok I'll read on the groups and permissions. It might be that I didn't create any other account and used the default odroid one, but I'd still expect it to have a lot of permissions out of the box. I also don't think I should resort to chmod and chown. There shouldn't be a need to. I don't remember ever having to resort to sth like this, even if it's an ntfs partition that's mostly used in Windows machines.

Thank you both. I'll first check mad's suggestion and see what the logs have to say and then lazlo's. I seriously doubt it was uncleanly removed though. This is a 128GB USB3.0 stick. I use it at work a lot. So I make sure to be extra careful with it and always safely remove it(though I can't account for Windows failing to safely remove without warning me).

Return to “Issues”