Kodi 18.7 final packages + Mali GBM driver testing on Ubuntu 18.04 minimal image

AreaScout
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell, Go2, C4

Re: Kodi 18.6 final packages + Mali GBM driver testing on Ubuntu 18.04 minimal image

Post by AreaScout » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:37 am

@all

Brand NEW Kodi 18.6 to download

What's new or inside beside the changes from 18.5 to 18.6 ?

Official release annoucement

Here you can find the developer commit log https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pulls?page ... 18+Leia%22

inputstream.adaptive (2.4.3)
script.module.inputstreamhelper (0.4.4 download libvidewine)
script.module.kodi-six python 2.x to 3.x helper needed for Netflix Add-on
visualization.shadertoy
visualization.spectrum
visualization.waveform

Howto download ? Please read/follow the first thread there is also a Netflix and IP-TV Add-on HowTo ;)

P.S.: If you find something not working -> please report it :ugeek:

Have fun
These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post (total 3):
odroid (Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 am) • maki26 (Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:02 pm) • rooted (Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:42 am)

maki26
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: XU4 + Cloudshell 2

Re: Kodi 18.6 final packages + Mali GBM driver testing on Ubuntu 18.04 minimal image

Post by maki26 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:15 pm

AreaScout wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:37 am
@all

Brand NEW Kodi 18.6 to download

What's new or inside beside the changes from 18.5 to 18.6 ?

Official release annoucement

Here you can find the developer commit log https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pulls?page ... 18+Leia%22

inputstream.adaptive (2.4.3)
script.module.inputstreamhelper (0.4.4 download libvidewine)
script.module.kodi-six python 2.x to 3.x helper needed for Netflix Add-on
visualization.shadertoy
visualization.spectrum
visualization.waveform

Howto download ? Please read/follow the first thread there is also a Netflix and IP-TV Add-on HowTo ;)

P.S.: If you find something not working -> please report it :ugeek:

Have fun
@AreaScout
I'm using debian buster as system. Do You have "buster" version of kodi 18.6 as well or should I fix my dependencies manualy to install this kodi version.

P.S.
I saw that @Igor.Pecovnik released kernel 20.02 but there is no release by @memeka.
My question is; did You prepared Your kernel 20.02 with I2C activated for cloudshell or not yet ( maybe CEC as well)?

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:58 am

@maki26

I will build it also for debian, gimme some time, the kernel for Armbian 20.02 should support device tree overlay and I2C support should be build as overlay files, don't ask me how to activate such a overlay file because I didn't try it and it's also new for me, but with some asks to google it shouldn't be that hard to find the answer ;)

RG

MastaG
    languages_spoken: english

Post by MastaG » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 am

Here's an updated patch against Leia 18.6.
    I've also backported the X11 GLES patch from Kodi 19.

For X11 use: -DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=x11 -DX11_RENDER_SYSTEM=gles -DENABLE_GLX=OFF -DENABLE_OPENGLES=ON -DENABLE_OPENGL=OFF
    Attachments
    0001-Odroid-XU4-compatibility.patch.zip
    (7.59 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:40 pm

@MastaG

Thanks for posting the X11 changes ! :)

@all

If have added instructions on how to install Disney+ Addon (thanks rooted), you need inputstream.adaptive 2.4.4 in order to make it work, I did re-packaging the kodi_18.6 file and uploaded it on my server, please re-install it like this

Code: Select all

wget https://www.areascout.at/kodi/kodi_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_all.deb
      sudo apt install ./kodi_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_all.deb --reinstall

After this you can start Kodi and install the Disney+ Addon (follow the first post)

RG
      These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post (total 2):
      rooted (Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm) • odroid (Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:36 am)

rooted

Post by rooted » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm

You're welcome, glad it worked out. Keep up the great work.

Wondermusic
      languages_spoken: German, English
      ODROIDs: XU4

Post by Wondermusic » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:21 pm

AreaScout wrote:
      Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:53 am
        @spuzy

If you know what PVR client you need I can try to build it, what client do you want from that list https://github.com/kodi-pvr

RG
        Hi AreaScout,
        since a few days I'm trying to get Kodi work properly on my XU4 and I just got it worked until now with Krypton 17.6 on ubuntu Mate 18.04.3 without bigger problems.
        I also tried your Version before, but there were no pvr- addons so I travelled along to the above version. But it's still 17.6... :?

And now I saw this reply from last year in this threat and my question is, if you could compile two pvr- addons for me (and may be others who have a need for it).
        The needed pvr- addons are: pvr.hts & pvr.vuplus

Cheers,
        Richy

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:46 pm

@Wondermusic

Here are those two Add-on's, I can't test them an guaranty that they are working, please report back

https://www.areascout.at/pvr.hts.tar.gz
          https://www.areascout.at/pvr.vuplus.tar.gz

RG
          These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post:
          Wondermusic (Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:15 am)

Wondermusic

Post by Wondermusic » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:15 am

Hi AreaScout,

many thanks for the addons!
          Currently I'm just able to test the hts- addon, but this one is working like a charm. So I think vuplus will do the same. ;)

The only thing that drived me mad, for a few minutes, was the missing pulseaudio installation. But after that I was able to view the video files longer than 10 seconds. :D
          Just installing now the rest of the addons I need. Thank you very much (again) for your work on this.

Oh - two things i can't do are, to change the language to german. kodi crahes after a few seconds without any hints within the log file. But that is not really important! Playing all video files, watching TV, listen to music works... 8-)
          The second thing is watching photos... They are looking somehow corrupted, but on my Windows PC they are ok.
          May be it has to do with the USB-HDD were the files are stored? It's ntfs formated...

Cheers,
          Richy
          Attachments
          20200422_191209.jpg
          20200422_191209.jpg (159.87 KiB) Viewed 2367 times

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:30 am

Wondermusic wrote:
          Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:15 am
          Hi AreaScout,

many thanks for the addons!
          Currently I'm just able to test the hts- addon, but this one is working like a charm. So I think vuplus will do the same. ;)

The only thing that drived me mad, for a few minutes, was the missing pulseaudio installation. But after that I was able to view the video files longer than 10 seconds. :D
          Just installing now the rest of the addons I need. Thank you very much (again) for your work on this.

Oh - two things i can't do are, to change the language to german. kodi crahes after a few seconds without any hints within the log file. But that is not really important! Playing all video files, watching TV, listen to music works... 8-)
          The second thing is watching photos... They are looking somehow corrupted, but on my Windows PC they are ok.
          May be it has to do with the USB-HDD were the files are stored? It's ntfs formated...

Cheers,
          Richy
          Thank you for the information, I have added pulseaudio as package dependency and re-uploaded the kodi-bin package to my server, next time it will be installed automatically, tzzz did forget it for Kodi 18.6 :o , had it in on 18.0 - 18.5

The crash for the language change I can't reproduce, I use english and I have switched the first time to german and it was not crashing and the thing for the pictures is also strange because mine are working and are not corrupted, are those raw images or in what format they are stored ?

RG

random236
          languages_spoken: English, German
          Has thanked: 0
          Been thanked: 0

Post by random236 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:32 am

@areascout:
          First thank you for your work again, and for the great project, watching Disney+ works like a charm. Great praise to you.

Just a few additional comments, the GitHub for CastagnaIT Repository has changed the version should be:

cd ~
          wget https://github.com/castagnait/repository.castagnait/raw/master/repository.castagnait-1.0.1.zip

Also the line for adding

/usr/bin/kodi
          with the following line on top

export PATH=$PATH:/sbin
          for InputStream acess to fdisk / umount is missing, without the install isn't working for me.

@Wondermusic:
          Got the same error with the german language pack, and the same reason with the external HDD mounted via fstab (ext4 in my case) got a /dev/sda1 cache error, pop's up a few seconds after installing, short crash to console with error message and rebooting the XU4. Very difficult to analyse because the error isn't logged at syslog, kodi.log, and kodi crashlog it's very strange. After reboot, unmounting and reinstall it crashed again. After unplugging USB Drive the install works, re-enabling your mounts and you are fine.

Best regards
          random236

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:11 pm

@random236

You guys got me a second time, somehow my script did not apply to that file, uploaded it with the necessary changes, sorry :oops:

I updated the link in the first post :)

RG
            Wondermusic (Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:36 pm)

Wondermusic

Post by Wondermusic » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:27 pm

@random26
            I had no cache error message and Kodi has my ntfs drive. No crashing at all. Kodi crashed only after setting German language.

@AreaScout
            Thanks again for your work! :D
            I reinstalled the kodi-bin package and changing to German language is now without any problems. It's not crashing anymore...
            The Pictures I have stored on the device are jpeg- files. I saw now that also some of my Covers and fanart are corrupted. I'll format another device to ext4 and copy some files over there. Let's see if the pictures are still corrupted... I'll get back to report.

Cheers,
            Richy

EDIT:
            Yes... Seems to be something with the ntfs mount.
            Copying them to the ext4 drive and adding them to Pictures in Kodi, all files are shown correctly.
            So i will change the format of the big external HDD to ext4. Will take a while, but it's better and should be faster as using ntfs. Adding a samba share to th xu4 and everything will be fine. :)

random236

Post by random236 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:02 pm

@AreaScout
            No problem ;-), but maybe you can help me again, system is working and netflix, amazon streams e.g working! Got some strange behavior, when try to watching German TV Streams under public-law (ARD/ZDF) or video files, got a black screen after that kodi crashes and i get a bunch of console error warnings, all the same at different execution times. After the error i have to restart the XU4

Error Message:

vidioc_qbuf:625: Call on QBUF after unrecoverable error

After some reading, it seems that the system can't handle MP4 H264 videos, not sure if german public-law TV use H264 also but i guess. Any idea how to fix?

BR random236

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:32 pm

@Wondermusic

Wohoo that sounds strange, you should open an issue on github https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues they really should know about that

@random236

The problem is ... those TV stations are often use interlaced encoded video streams to lower the broadband of the video stream (SKY, ARD, ZDF etc. not ORF 720'p'rogressive), so if they use 1080i (interlaced) the HW decoder can't handle it, I don't know if this is just a bug somewhere in the kernel VPU driver or if it's an hardware limitation, the solution to this is to use FFmpeg software decoder on such streams, I can compile Kodi to not use HW decoder on MPEG2TS streams, but some TV stations are broadcasting in 1080p(rogressive) and you don't want use the software decoder on this streams, I can provide you with a binary compiled to use software decoder on MPEG2TS streams if you want

RG

random236

Post by random236 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:25 pm

@Areascout, sounds a bit i have to choose between one death or another what is the negative side of FFmpeg decoding? I guess some perfomance impact? Or is it that only the fact i get in trouble with 1080p broadcasts? For me playing these streams live is only the final stage of a nearly perfect kodi setup. Normally i wait 1/2 to 1 hour until the program is stored in the normal media libary of ZDF/ARD, then i can play these normal. I guess then they are stored as 1080p, thats works perfect at the moment?

Maybe it is a better solutions to swap to TV-Stick and use TVHeadend / IPTV Solution, for live streaming? What do you mean?

BR random236

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:46 am

@random236

Yes performance impact, I have a new binary for you to test, HW decoder is disabled only software decoder is used and so 1080i streams/movies should work https://www.areascout.at/kodi.bin copy it over to /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/kodi/kodi.bin

RG

Wondermusic

Post by Wondermusic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:25 pm

Still not completely done with it. All files are now stored on ext4- formatted HDD but the thumbnails are still corrupted (not all). When entering the Pictures in Slideshow they are ok, without errors.
                The other thing I saw now, is the same error message after leaving Kodi to go the console. Same error messages like random236 with "vidioc_qbuf" here. But I have no crashes. I see this error only if i quit Kodi (heaven't seen that before, because i worked via ssh in console).

Cheers,
                Richy

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:46 pm

But this vidioc_qbuf message is from MFC aka VPU (Video Processor Unit) did you test with my binary, because the hardware decoder shouldn't be used anymore with this binary, I am pretty sure it's because of 1080i videos !?

RG

Wondermusic

Post by Wondermusic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:56 pm

In my case there are no 1080i files. Only playing 1080p, 720p and smaller xvid files. For me no Problem, because i have no crashes... ;-) Just wanted to tell that here are the same error Massages in background without crashing kodi.

random236

Post by random236 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:58 am

@AreaScout: Your are a real magician. It works perfect, live streaming and still all files from external HDD, no appericiable performance impact, only CPU Fan is spinng a little faster. Works much better then before, fabolus! Real big thank you, for your work.

I tried some 1080p videos, and they are also working perfect, spend the whole yesterday evening with testing and playing my old video libary.

You should think abourt providing both Binarys for the people ... HW and SW Encoding.

BR random236

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:34 am

@Wondermusic

Sorry :lol: I confound you with random236, this error message you can ignore, it is generated only by the first frames of the video file ;)

@random236

Good to hear that it works, I am searching for a solution to detect interlaced video files and then choose either SW or HW decoder ! I will post any solution found here :ugeek:

RG
                    odroid (Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:50 am)

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:36 pm

@random236

I have re-uploaded the kodi-bin package, new changes are:
                      • Videos encoded with 1080(i)nterlaced (mostly DVB streams but as well as hand-cam videos) are now played back with software decoder because I can't get 1080i files working with v4lm2m MFC FFmpeg backend, all other (1080p/720p) videos are decoded like always with HW decoder
                      • When pressing 'o' on keyboard to show advanced video information the *_v4l2m2m codec was outlined as SW codec, this was wrong, now it's detected as HW accelerated codec as it should be
                      Install it by issue this two commands:

wget https://www.areascout.at/kodi/kodi-bin_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_armhf.deb
                      sudo apt install ./kodi-bin_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_armhf.deb --reinstall

RG

m4pp1

Post by m4pp1 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:33 pm

@AreaScout: hi, this looks super promising, great work! i use a shared mysql database. atm it's failing with
                      2020-04-26 13:15:00.314 T:2548040544 ERROR: MySQL library requested but MySQL support is not compiled in. Falling back to sqlite3.
                      2020-04-26 13:15:00.316 T:2548040544 FATAL: SqliteDatabase: can't open odroid/MyVideos116.db
                      any chance of getting a version with support enabled if it's not too much trouble?

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:53 pm

@m4pp1

Yes the libmysqlclient dependency libssl1.1 does conflict with kodi libssl1.0 on ubuntu so that's the reason why it is not compiled in, i can try to use libmariadbclient instead, somehow I think I tried that already and it did not compile, I will let you know

RG

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:22 am

@m4pp1

Ok now kodi is build with libmariadbclient support, new package is on my server, mariadb connector is fully compatible with mysql server, so this should work, I can't test it so please report

wget https://www.areascout.at/kodi/kodi-bin_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_armhf.deb
                          sudo apt install ./kodi-bin_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_armhf.deb --reinstall
                          sudo apt remove libmysqlclient20

RG
                          rooted (Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:47 am)

m4pp1

Post by m4pp1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:43 am

for the benefit of anybody else who might want to try this, probably don't ;)
                          (disclaimer: my linux skills are moderately good)

this line sadly uninstalls kodi too heh
                          sudo apt remove libmysqlclient20
                          i tried removing libmysqlclient20 with
                          dpkg -r --force-depends "libmysqlclient20"
                          but i just got my packages in a mess

so i tried starting afresh
                          - backed up mysql databases with mysqldump (it seems it can't handle migrating these)
                          - removed mysql
                          - installed mariadb
                          - hand-created all the users, rights and passwords (i couldn't find a good way to automate this)
                          - reimported all the databases into mariadb
                          - got all my other software working again, including kodi on another another machine with the same mysql setup
                          - installed your new kodi (which now realises it has to install 'libmariadbclient18', which seemed promising)

but it still fails with
                          2020-04-26 19:34:01.907 T:2548040544 ERROR: MySQL library requested but MySQL support is not compiled in. Falling back to sqlite3.
                          2020-04-26 19:34:01.908 T:2548040544 FATAL: SqliteDatabase: can't open odroid/MyVideos116.db

if you've got some other ideas, wonderful - i'd be happy to try them out.
                          if not, don't worry about it :)

either way, thanks very much for your time :)

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:46 am

You don't need MariaDB server for the MariaDB client, the MariaDB client connector can also connect to an Mysql server, I don't see why kodi still is trying with libmysqlclient, it was configured with MariaDBClient:ON and MySQLCLient:OFF

It looks like you are still using the old Kodi binary ?? Could it be that Kodi was running and you tried to install the deb package ? The binary should be in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/kodi/kodi.bin you can check if the binary links to mariadb with ldd /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/kodi/kodi.bin | grep maria the answer should be libmariadbclient.so.18 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libmariadbclient.so.18 (0xb1f0b000)

RG
                            rooted (Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:47 am)

m4pp1

Post by m4pp1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:46 am

lol, wget doesn't overwrite files by default and adds .1 etc to the end.
                            massively overthought that then :)

yup, looks like it's working. big thanks again :)

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Ha ! I can't tell that this trap never happen to me too :lol: Great that it works, I like when people asking to enable features that are not very often used, it helps that this kodi build grows and thrives

Fixes for the last few days
                              • MySQL support enabled
                              • 1080i support enabled, I had completely forgotten about that if peoples are not complained about it, I don't use it very often
                              • HW SW codec detection enabled for OSD
                              • pulseaudio package dependency fix
                              • sbin path included in kodi start script for script.module.inputstreamhelper
                              RG
                              odroid (Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:44 pm) • rooted (Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:45 pm)

dante6913
                              languages_spoken: english, Portuguese
                              ODROIDs: C2

Post by dante6913 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi AreaScout,
                              Thanks for your work. Your kodi debs are only for Mali GBM? There no debs for kodi-x11 with builds from X11 GLES patch?

dante6913
                              languages_spoken: english, Portuguese
                              ODROIDs: C2

Post by dante6913 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:37 pm

@MastaG
                              The patch enables panfrost suport, for using wit panforst, the build should be DENABLE_OPENGL=ON?
                              Thanks

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 pm

@dante6913

Yes, those binaries are GBM builds and no there are no packages for X11 yet, if you want to build it you have to disable OpenGL with -DENABLE_OPENGL=ON, panfrost and mali drivers are using OpenGLES !

RG

MastaG

Post by MastaG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:02 am

dante6913 wrote:
                                Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:37 pm
                                @MastaG
                                The patch enables panfrost suport, for using wit panforst, the build should be DENABLE_OPENGL=ON?
                                Thanks
                                Hi, it's there for future use.
                                On Panfrost the gnome session is giving me corruption on the screen.
                                Furthermore the panfrost mesa driver doesn't seem to be fully compatible with the exynos-drm driver.
                                Using only panfrost drm doesn't light up the screen.. so a bit more work is required.

MastaG

Post by MastaG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:11 am

@AreaScout, could you please post your updated kodi patches? (for forcing 1080i through software etc..).

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:55 am

@MastaG

Oh I will have to sleep a night or two to think about that :roll:

RG

MastaG

Post by MastaG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 am

Alright no problem bro :)

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:44 pm

@all

For those of you who want to build Kodi by their own, or any other Kodi image providers, here are my patches, it includes 1080i via software FFmpeg decoder, OSD fixes and codec info fixes and last but not least an FFmpeg mpeg2 fix :ugeek:

Have fun
                                    Kodi_18.6_patches_XU4.zip
                                    (3.12 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
                                    These users thanked the author AreaScout for the post (total 3):
                                    MastaG (Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:21 pm) • rooted (Fri May 01, 2020 7:37 am) • odroid (Wed May 06, 2020 9:32 am)

MastaG

Post by MastaG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:47 pm

AreaScout wrote:
                                    Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:44 pm
                                      @all

For those of you who want to build Kodi by their own, or any other Kodi image providers, here are my patches, it includes 1080i via software FFmpeg decoder, OSD fixes and codec info fixes and last but not least an FFmpeg mpeg2 fix :ugeek:

Have fun

Kodi_18.6_patches_XU4.zip
                                      That's some clever fixes you did for Kodi :)
                                      Thanks man! Props to you!

MastaG

Post by MastaG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:48 pm

One question:

So the bool m_useSoftDecoder is being initialized as true.
                                      Let's say you'll watch some progressive stream, then m_useSoftDecoder will be set to false.
                                      However when you start watching interlaced content afterwards, it will never be set to true again right?
                                      So shouldn't it look like this then?

}
                                         if (m_pDecodedFrame->interlaced_frame)
                                      +  {
                                           m_interlaced = true;
                                      +    if (!m_useSoftDecoder)
                                      +    {
                                      +      m_useSoftDecoder = true;
                                      +      return VC_REOPEN;
                                      +    }
                                      +  }
                                         else
                                      +  {
                                           m_interlaced = false;
                                      -
                                      +    if (m_useSoftDecoder)
                                      +    {
                                      +      m_useSoftDecoder = false;
                                      +      return VC_REOPEN;
                                      +    }
                                      +  }

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:27 pm

Opon clicking on the movie, the FFmpeg player class is constructed, m_useSoftwareDecoder is true, opon pressing stop or the movie got it's EOF (End of File) the FFmpeg player class is deconstructed, this is how the boolean is set to true again

RG
                                        Last edited by AreaScout on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MastaG

Post by MastaG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:31 pm

Ah.. I see.. modular programming I guess :)
                                        Thanks!

semidark
                                        languages_spoken: english, german

Post by semidark » Fri May 01, 2020 10:13 pm

Hi,
                                        Thanks for all the effort you guys are putting in the Kodi Installation for the Odroid. :D

I just tested the installation process from the beginning of this thread on a fresh installed Ubuntu Minimal Image on my XU4. Everything went kind of smooth and Kodi 18.6 started up fine.

But I can't playback many of my avi Video Files. I get sound but the video image is either not shown or a black screen is shown. :cry:

I tryied fiddeling around with the "Adjust display refresh rate" but it did not change much. :roll:

Any ideas how can I get this debuged or simply up and running for "all" of my legacy videofiles that are not mp4 (h264). :ugeek:

Thanks

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Sat May 02, 2020 4:01 am

Maybe I can implement an settings switch to enable/disable hardware decoder :ugeek:

RG

MastaG

Post by MastaG » Sun May 03, 2020 2:20 am

Most AVI files are divx/xvid.. perhaps another hack to switch to software for those as well?
                                          I think you covered most edge cases then.
                                          These users thanked the author MastaG for the post:
                                          semidark (Sun May 03, 2020 3:30 am)

semidark

Post by semidark » Sun May 03, 2020 3:46 am

Such a switch for divx/xvid codecs would be fantastic, thou I'm not sure if playback would be even possible then :? . I started my other sdcard with a fullblown Ubuntu Mate 18.04, that has kodi 17 binaries runnting under X11. When I tried to playback those files there, kodi just crashed on me :o . So actually I'm better of now with this newer Kodi 18.6 build 8-) .

One other Question I got is concerning my Controller. Usually I control kodi with my android phone using the app kore. Works fine but has its downsides. I have spend the last few hours to get my xbox one controller running over Bluetooth. Finally, after testing multiple Bluetooth Adapters, switching to kernel 5.0 and building the newer xpadneo kernelmodule, I got the controller working with

jstest /dev/input/js0 
                                          :geek: . But there is no input recognized in Kodi when I try to use or configure the controller within Kodi. :|

Any ideas how to fix that?

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Mon May 04, 2020 1:14 am

semidark wrote:
                                            Sun May 03, 2020 3:46 am
                                            thou I'm not sure if playback would be even possible then :?
                                            Yes, not every codec encoder version does it's job 100% accurate, there could be bug in there when the movie was encoded, especially on such old movies, there has been changed a lot since then and not even FFmpeg is able to play ALL movies, but with such a switch the chances to playback such a movie can be elevated.

I don't use a controller, I use keyboard but have you tried to install the right controller profile ? Settings -> Add-On's -> install from repository -> Kodi Add-On repository -> Game Add-On's -> Controller profiles

RG

semidark

Post by semidark » Tue May 05, 2020 3:00 am

Thnx AreaScout. I will try your suggestion with the Controller profile.

Update: there is no matching Profile for the Gamepad. I also don't think that it is a Problem with the Profile. When i try to assign the Buttons via the build in Configuration tool, there are events registred.

I will try to find out if this is an issue with this Kodi Build by Booting up my other Kodi SD Card.Then i can check if the issue is also found in the original HardKernel Odroid build.

AreaScout

Post by AreaScout » Tue May 05, 2020 9:00 pm

@all

Ok, added new feature Always use software decoder [ON/OFF] via Kodi Settings -> Player -> Videos -> Playback, Always use software decoder [ON/OFF], so you are now able to disable the HW decoder completely if you have problems with playing some (older/bad encoded) files

This menu entry doesn't have translated language other than English, you have to add it for your native lang.
                                              I.e look into the english translation file /usr/share/kodi/addons/resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po and search for the string 'Always use software decoder' to get a plan how to edit your native language strings.po file inside the /home/odroid/.kodi/addons/resource.language.xx_xx/resources xx_xx stands for your language code (i.e de_DE)

You have to install two packages to get the new feature as follows:

wget https://www.areascout.at/kodi/kodi_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_all.deb

sudo apt install ./kodi_18.6~git20200308.1459-19d96e7623-dirty-1~bionic_all.deb --reinstall

RG
                                              odroid (Wed May 06, 2020 9:32 am) • Wondermusic (Wed May 13, 2020 12:29 am)

semidark

Post by semidark » Wed May 06, 2020 12:57 am

@AreaScout:
                                              Forcing software rendering fixes the Playback for the avi/divx/xvid movies. Awesome work! :!:

Again concerning the Xbox One Gamepad Issue. While installing your supplied patched deb packages, I saw that your installation has packages for kodi-eventclients-wiiremote and kodi-eventclients-ps3. Is it possible that your Binaries miss some features for gamepad support? I tested the Gamepad on my Laptop with Ubuntu18.04 and Kodi 18.6. Everything worked out of the box. I Still have to test the Odroid Vanilla Kodi Packages.

Return to “Projects”