Linux gaming OS'es.. Worth it for us or not?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Linux gaming OS'es.. Worth it for us or not?

Unread postby Jawbraeka » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:20 pm

Just came across this link https://itsfoss.com/linux-gaming-distributions/amp/ and was thinking, would any of these be ideal for any of our boards?

Would be cool to see http://gamedrift.org working..
Jawbraeka

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: Linux gaming OS'es.. Worth it for us or not?

Unread postby meveric » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:58 pm

Lakka already exists for ODROIDs, together with a some other gaming images made for ARM boards (like Retropi, ODROID GameStation Turbo, and others).

Most of the Distros listed on that site would not work on any arm board.
There is no Steam for ARM boards, Windows games only work together with ExaGear and won't have 3D acceleration, so most of what is listed on this site wouldn't even work.

And that what does work, already exists on ODROIDs.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby Jawbraeka » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:37 am

Sweet..

OK.. I'm still pretty new to all this at the moment and only intend of using the board for an emulation machine for my son for arcade games and early console emulation for myself, along with kodi.

I noticed lakka is openelec based, so would I be right in saying that any programme could be launched into its own standalone environment?
Jawbraeka

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 am

odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Jawbraeka » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 pm

i have and i might go back to this. the only issue with this is it spits input echo across the screen.. but it was working.. and i didn't have a controller to perform inputs.. my keyboard provided up down left right and execute options.. but when pressing buttons, the input echo was sort of floating in the background.. and my memory card shat itself.
Jawbraeka

Return to Projects