DIY Portable Touchscreen Computer

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

DIY Portable Touchscreen Computer

Unread postby compulsivecoder » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:11 pm

I put an Odroid XU3 lite and Odroid VU touchscreen in a box with a battery to make it portable:

https://compulsivecoder.github.io/DIYCo ... -Computer/
compulsivecoder

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid XU3 lite (2 of them)

Re: DIY Portable Touchscreen Computer

Unread postby odroid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Very interesting computer.
But it seems to be heavy. :) What is the weight of 12V/7A Lead batter?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby compulsivecoder » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:13 am

But it seems to be heavy. :) What is the weight of 12V/7A Lead batter?

Yes it's quite heavy for a portable computer. I just looked up the battery and read it's 2.18kg. The wooden box is also pretty heavy, but that's what I had available at the time.
Now I have some NCR18650GA 3500mah batteries (actually around 3100mah when tested) which I'm experimenting with. I've built a battery pack prototype with an arduino monitoring voltage levels so it can trigger a shutdown when needed, but still have more to do on it before it's usable in this computer.
compulsivecoder

Unread postby Eternalodyssey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Compulsivecoder, I have a similar idea for a tablet style computer with desktop capabilities and I have acquired some potential hardware.

I recently purchased a lot of several DLI-8300 units with a bunch of batteries. I purchased an ODROID-XU4 I would like to institute into this package. I'm willing to send you some hardware if you are interested in teaming up and developing this project forward. I have several years experience in CarPC & hardware modifying. I could not find a PM option otherwise I would have gone that route. Please let me know.

Eternalodyssey

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby Eternalodyssey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Not sure why my photos got cut off.
Eternalodyssey

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby odroid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

The X resolution should be less than 1600 pixels.
Or Ctrl-'minus' key inputs will zoom out correctly.

Anyway, the rugged tablet seems to be a good base platform to build a DIY tablet if the LCD screen is compatible with XU4.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby compulsivecoder » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 am

Sorry for the slow reply.

I'm willing to send you some hardware if you are interested in teaming up and developing this project forward.

That looks like a nice rugged case. Finding a suitable case for a project often seems harder than the actual electronics.
I would quite like to make a tablet out of something like that.

If you want to send me some hardware I'll definitely have a go and see what I can make out of it. I'm getting more and more keen to go portable.
This heavy SLA setup isn't quite what I want yet (not light enough), although I'm currently using it because my small home labspace and main desktop PC are out of action.
These XU3 boards do 95% of what I need from a PC, at the cost of being power hungry. So if I can make one both portable and light that would be ideal.

Until now I was stuck when it came to running off 18650 batteries.
Boosting to 5v/2a is doable but boosting up to 4a for the XU3 and XU4 boards might not be possible. If someone can point me to a boost regulator which will do it I'd like to know about it.
Some of the 4a and 5a boost regulators don't seem to work with 3v or less as input. The genuine NCR18650GA batteries I have go down to 2.5v.

So the solution (unless someone can point me to a boost regulator which works) is to use them in series. But that makes charging, etc. more complicated.

This video seems to show the solution with a 2S battery pack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdXMs8uH8uo
It uses a charging module and a balancing module that I'm hoping will work.
To adapt it for an XU3/4 tablet it might be possible to swap out the USB buck regulator (shown in the video) for 2 dedicated 5v buck regulators which go to screen and board.
I've ordered the charging modules and balance modules he uses. I'm still waiting on the balance modules to arrive then I can try it to see if it actually works.

If it does work I'm wanting to overhaul this prototype to something smaller and lighter.
The rugged case you've shown could be ideal if everything fits.

You can email me directly at compulsivecoder at gmail dot com if you want to discuss it further.

Cheers,
John
compulsivecoder

Return to Projects