Multiboot&Universal Installer for Odroid C1, C2 and XU3/XU4

dante6913
languages_spoken: english, Portuguese
ODROIDs: C2
Has thanked: 0

Re: Multiboot&Universal Installer for Odroid C1, C2 and XU3/

Post by dante6913 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:15 am

Barturblits, sorry for my lack of knowledge, or skills in the English language. I have a multiboot install, for now, my goal is to set ubuntu and android. It works but frequently i have to copy boot.android.ini to boot.ini or boot.ubuntu.ini so i can be able to boot. Do your scripts correct this problem? If so, can you explain me how. What I have to do to install them? Thanks

Another question I have, I'm running out of space to install more apps with android. Can I expand a partition with gparted, if so, what one (I never messed with android before)?

Edit
I now know that I can change the data partition on the multiboot installer so I solved the space issue.

I would like to know where I should put the script to copy boot.android.ini to boot.ini so i didn't had to do it manually each time that I boot. :(

malomehi
languages_spoken: english spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-C2
Been thanked: 0

Post by malomehi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:50 am

Is it safe to overclock DDR using the following method if we are using multiboot?
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... ust_ddrclk

Has anyone tried? Does it break the multiboot?

Additional information: I have an Odroid-C2 running dual boot with Ubuntu/LibreELEC

TomPecs
languages_spoken: english

Post by TomPecs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 pm

hello everyone! First of all I would like to thank you the fantastic works here :)

and then I would like to ask a help ( if I am here :P )

Shortcut: everything works except libreElec. It is simple not booting up. When I choose from the boot menu then red + blue led lights but nothing else happened. I tried to check boot.ini but it looks alright. Could someone please help me through about it?
Thank you :)
(LibreElec link: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=24923 (I used the media version)

I will format the emmc (128gb) and do it again, but last time the install went alright.

2nd try: same happened. Everything booted except Oelec.

for third I will try the attached/tried by loboris (7.10 Oelec works as magic :) :D ) should I worries about 7.13 ? is it that better?
Last edited by TomPecs on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

malomehi
languages_spoken: english spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-C2

Post by malomehi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:14 am

TomPecs wrote:hello everyone! First of all I would like to thank you the fantastic works here :)

and then I would like to ask a help ( if I am here :P )

Shortcut: everything works except libreElec. It is simple not booting up. When I choose from the boot menu then red + blue led lights but nothing else happened. I tried to check boot.ini but it looks alright. Could someone please help me through about it?
Thank you :)
(LibreElec link: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=24923 (I used the media version)

I will format the emmc (128gb) and do it again, but last time the install went alright.

2nd try: same happened. Everything booted except Oelec.

for third I will try the attached/tried by loboris
If you go some posts back you will find one of my posts explaining how to make LibreELEC work. The problem, at least for me, was incorrect partition labels in boot.ini.oelec.

TomPecs

Post by TomPecs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:27 pm

yes, that was my first thought, But it is correct. Not wrong. So I dont know:( but my next longer days off I will check again and post here those lines

barturblits
languages_spoken: english, dutch, german

Post by barturblits » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:30 am

TomPecs wrote:yes, that was my first thought, But it is correct. Not wrong. So I dont know:( but my next longer days off I will check again and post here those lines
I also changed some boot parameters in the boot.ini's in some LE versions, cant remember the specifics. But as method I always took the boot.ini from the LE distro and added loboris changes in it. Loboris uses a boot.ini from one OE version but it seems the distro boot.ini files do change from time to time. On my github I have a working example for LE8.
dante6913 wrote:Barturblits, sorry for my lack of knowledge, or skills in the English language. I have a multiboot install, for now, my goal is to set ubuntu and android. It works but frequently i have to copy boot.android.ini to boot.ini or boot.ubuntu.ini so i can be able to boot. Do your scripts correct this problem? If so, can you explain me how. What I have to do to install them? Thanks

Another question I have, I'm running out of space to install more apps with android. Can I expand a partition with gparted, if so, what one (I never messed with android before)?

Edit
I now know that I can change the data partition on the multiboot installer so I solved the space issue.

I would like to know where I should put the script to copy boot.android.ini to boot.ini so i didn't had to do it manually each time that I boot. :(
Wrote a reply but now I now I see what your problem is. Loboris multiboot boot menu knows only 4 types of boot.ini files: boot.ini.linux, boot.ini.linux2, boot.ini.android and boot.ini.oelec. See them as predefined slots. At boot it checks for these files, if it finds them it integrates them in the boot menu.
For myself I also created boot.ini.lakka, boot.ini.volumio and boot.ini.ubuntu. When I want ubuntu and volumio in multiboot, I rename these extensions to linux and linux2 so multiboot will recognize them. So I might have prepared 10 OS' with their own extension, I can only use 3 or 4 in multiboot. I enable them by renaming the extension. In your case you should rename boot.ini.ubuntu to boot.ini.linux and it will be a part of multiboot. boot.android.ini seems just a typo, should be boot.ini.android. Also, I applied my own extensions fo the kernel, uInitrd and dtb files. In the case of ubuntu, if you use my boot.ini.ubuntu you could rename all the extensions of the files in boot.ini.ubuntu to linux as well but it is not necessary.

TomPecs

Post by TomPecs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:31 pm

and I am also have trouble with installing gapps. From the menu odroid tools cant due no recovery mode after boot option, and from multi boot menu the update.zip doesnt work. So anyone know how to install gapps? :)

dante6913

Post by dante6913 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:50 pm

TomPecs wrote:and I am also have trouble with installing gapps. From the menu odroid tools cant due no recovery mode after boot option, and from multi boot menu the update.zip doesnt work. So anyone know how to install gapps? :)
I only managed to install google play, but with android 5, used the lollipot apk from here http://www.odroid.in/mirror/dn.odroid.com/GAPPS/. With android 6 never managed to do it with opengapps. I even tried to update android 5 with google play to android 6 but no luck.

TomPecs

Post by TomPecs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:37 am

I only managed to install google play, but with android 5, used the lollipot apk from here http://www.odroid.in/mirror/dn.odroid.com/GAPPS/. With android 6 never managed to do it with opengapps. I even tried to update android 5 with google play to android 6 but no luck.
Now I did try it :D but not lucky. I download the apk, press install (granted root) and the reboot and black screen. Could you please describe how you done it (due I am sure I was dummy :D) (GAppsInstaller_lollipop.apk 45M) installed only that, should I donwload also gapps from gapps? micro or nano what I would install, but where to put?

dante6913

Post by dante6913 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:45 am

TomPecs wrote:
Now I did try it :D but not lucky. I download the apk, press install (granted root) and the reboot and black screen. Could you please describe how you done it (due I am sure I was dummy :D) (GAppsInstaller_lollipop.apk 45M) installed only that, should I donwload also gapps from gapps? micro or nano what I would install, but where to put?
After you install the app you should open it, it will ask you for root permissions, then will start to install the google apps. It will reboot a 20 %, if all goes right it will start and says that are installing apps, shortly after it will finish boot and you should have google play.
I remember that i had to try this 3 times (the first two after reboot i had nothing installed).
If you have a black screen just copy in another linux machine boot.ini.android from the android multiboot directory and replace the boot.ini file (maintain the boot.ini name)
Android brakes lots of times when you do some change.

TomPecs

Post by TomPecs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:15 am

thank you I will try now :)

edit:
so what I figured out...

when I install it: all right except (userdata.img not found or so) some folder can make due already exist + can not unmount some drives but the install is finishing always
Next I can but any, in any sequence. But after if I launch linux OS or mount in emmc reader (microsd + microsd reader you know ...:D ) in a laptop so mount it there then after won`t boot again. Is it possible due like partition permission changed? or I have no idea or should I check more carefully the all boot ini..

So now I only can run linux and libreelec. or android and libreelec due whenever I use linux make it wrong.
Last edited by TomPecs on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sketch2k278
ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Post by sketch2k278 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 am

Can one prepare the images for multiboot using windows or can this only be setup through linux?

TomPecs

Post by TomPecs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:14 pm

sketch2k278 wrote:Can one prepare the images for multiboot using windows or can this only be setup through linux?
yes, if I understand good, you can make ready the multiboot img by windows, the best if you use Etcher program. Just google Etcher and first link or so.
\After you install the app you should open it, it will ask you for root permissions, then will start to install the google apps. It will reboot a 20 %, if all goes right it will start and says that are installing apps, shortly after it will finish boot and you should have google play.
I remember that i had to try this 3 times (the first two after reboot i had nothing installed).
If you have a black screen just copy in another linux machine boot.ini.android from the android multiboot directory and replace the boot.ini file (maintain the boot.ini name)
Android brakes lots of times when you do some change.\
Could please somebody explain a bit more about it? Due I still waiting the answer I can not use now my odroid fully until I can’t figure out android part. So last, I can make img can install android (I tried 6.1 but ppl are saying best 5.1.1 due we could only install play store on 5.1.1) linux mate works fine libreelec works fine (7.1.0)

so my question please could somebody explain whats happening with android after install that lolipop apk (install playstore) or if I open linux or if I open the emmc by reader in the laptop (linux) the results same not booting android? (black screen and red and blue lights keep light...)

Please help me this is the last :D problem I can feel it:P last steps and I stuck.... (my wife keep asking is it worth it...??? not even works..... :D )

thank you who read all :) have a nice day!

davidwkerr
languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: 5* XU4, 1xC2, 1xC1+

Post by davidwkerr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:18 am

Hi loboris,
Firstly a big "Thank You" for all the work you have put into this. Really excellent and useful.

However, I am having problems. I have a brand new XU4 with Android on a 64GB Emmc card (which works fine). On another Odroid, I prepared a 32GB install uSD card per your instructions. When I set to boot from SD and insert it into the Odroid I am trying to setup, I get the green icons at the top, followed by "searching for btrs file system" then followed by a message in red: "Cannot mount Boot Card- press R to reboot" and there is a 1minute timeout. Hitting R or letting it timeout results in the same message again. I can mount the uSD in another Odroid and read it fine.

I tried manually preparing the card using your self-prepare script and that worked well, but still get the cannot mount message.

Just in case the message referred to my USB drive, I have tried a 1Tbyte external USB drive as well as a 32GB USB memory stick (in case the error message was referring to the USB disk) but received the same error message. So, I am stuck until someone can advise something else to try.

I do assume the red coloured message refers to the uSD memory card.

Many thanks,
Dave

davidwkerr

Post by davidwkerr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:42 am

Just further info. I also tried with a different uSD card (this one 16GB) with exactly the same result.

Any help from anyone or any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regds,
Dave

davidwkerr

Post by davidwkerr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Okay, I have found that if I remove the factory emmc card, the install menu works.

So now I am getting rid of the factory Android install and trying the multiboot scripts with Nougat and Ubuntu 16.02.

Regds,
Dave

subbu_arumugam

Post by subbu_arumugam » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for the awesome work guys. This is really helpful.
I was able to successfully install Android 6.0 in emmc and Libre elec 7.95 (Beta) in Sd card and successfully boot from both

The only problem I'm facing now is GAPPS. I tried everything from downloading play services and play store apk, side load, researched around a bit for twrp/CWM but couldnt find a solution. I also tried the OpenGAPPS android app and that too didnt work. The installation goes up to 20% and then restarts but doesn't update (Same with Odroid config tool).

As of now im installing all the apps (except playstore and playservices) by downloading apk from apkmirror. Haven't tested which apps work and the ones that doesn't.

Some one above mentioned to remove boot.ini.android and install gapps and then put the file back there. Will try that approach and update.

Hopefully OP will provide a way to update GAPPS which is the only missing piece of this marvel.

EDIT ------

I went back to Android 5.1 v3.4 (last updated version) and was able to install GAPPS using the gapps_installer.apk.

Thanks again.
Last edited by subbu_arumugam on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidwkerr

Post by davidwkerr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Okay, with Android 7.1 (CM14) on the emmc, the sd card will boot and things look good.

But, with the factory Android on the emmc, the sd card boot fails. Presumably it is trying to mount one of the Android partitions?\

Anyway, I am happy to have 7.1/Ubuntu multiboot so hopefully this info helps someone else encountering the same problem.

Regards,
Dave

davidwkerr

Post by davidwkerr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:43 pm

I made a backup using the multiboot installer (on SD) of Android 7.1 (installed on emmc).

This seemed okay.

Now I am trying to put it back to a emmc prepared for multiboot using the copy_android script.

It is not working and I am getting the following error:

XU_backup/android/system NOT FOUND
WRONG XU_backup/android directory structure.

Here is the structure of what the installer created on the USB drive in XU_backup/android:

total 1132504
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 1 2013 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 11 16:27 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 141557760 Jan 1 2013 cache.raw.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 540016640 Jan 1 2013 data.raw.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 919601152 Jan 1 2013 system.raw.img
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 1 2013 userdir
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8388608 Jan 1 2013 zImage

How can I get the script to put back the backed-up Android data into the partitions?

Many thanks,
Dave

dante6913

Post by dante6913 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:44 am

TomPecs wrote:
sketch2k278 wrote:Can one prepare the images for multiboot using windows or can this only be setup through linux?
yes, if I understand good, you can make ready the multiboot img by windows, the best if you use Etcher program. Just google Etcher and first link or so.
\After you install the app you should open it, it will ask you for root permissions, then will start to install the google apps. It will reboot a 20 %, if all goes right it will start and says that are installing apps, shortly after it will finish boot and you should have google play.
Android brakes lots of times when you do some change.\
Could please somebody explain a bit more about it? Due I still waiting the answer I can not use now my odroid fully until I can’t figure out android part. So last, I can make img can install android (I tried 6.1 but ppl are saying best 5.1.1 due we could only install play store on 5.1.1) linux mate works fine libreelec works fine (7.1.0)

so my question please could somebody explain whats happening with android after install that lolipop apk (install playstore) or if I open linux or if I open the emmc by reader in the laptop (linux) the results same not booting android? (black screen and red and blue lights keep light...)

Please help me this is the last :D problem I can feel it:P last steps and I stuck.... (my wife keep asking is it worth it...??? not even works..... :D )

thank you who read all :) have a nice day!

If you have a black screen just copy in another linux machine boot.ini.android from the android multiboot directory and replace the boot.ini file (maintain the boot.ini name).
Android should boot.
I was trying to have some sort of automatic script that could do this every time that I tried to boot android so I never have black screens on boot), but for now I haven't sort how to do it.
Android brakes lots of times when you do some change.

dante6913

Post by dante6913 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Sorry I only now saw your message. If your android brakes at boot (black screen), you should remove your sd car or emmc, and open it in a linux machine. You will see the boot.ini file and a multiboot directory where you have a file called boot.ini.android. You should delete your boot.ini file. copy your boot.ini.android to thr same place where your boot.ini file was and rename it to boot.ini.
Now you should be able to boot, put yor sd card (or emmc) back to odroid and boot.

TomPecs

Post by TomPecs » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:00 am

dante6913 wrote:Sorry I only now saw your message. If your android brakes at boot (black screen), you should remove your sd car or emmc, and open it in a linux machine. You will see the boot.ini file and a multiboot directory where you have a file called boot.ini.android. You should delete your boot.ini file. copy your boot.ini.android to thr same place where your boot.ini file was and rename it to boot.ini.
Now you should be able to boot, put yor sd card (or emmc) back to odroid and boot.
thank you the reply and I just tried exactly how you wrote it. and I choose android (number one) and black screen red and blue keep lights :(

edit:
could someone please link to me a good android linux and libreelec version? what works 100% sure or I am not sure probably I am the noob. If I install all, then linux and libreelec works if android and libreelec then only android. I really would use all 3 O/S

dante6913

Post by dante6913 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:00 am

TomPecs wrote:
dante6913 wrote:Sorry I only now saw your message. If your android brakes at boot (black screen), you should remove your sd car or emmc, and open it in a linux machine. You will see the boot.ini file and a multiboot directory where you have a file called boot.ini.android. You should delete your boot.ini file. copy your boot.ini.android to thr same place where your boot.ini file was and rename it to boot.ini.
thank you the reply and I just tried exactly how you wrote it. and I choose android (number one) and black screen red and blue keep lights :(

edit:
could someone please link to me a good android linux and libreelec version? what works 100% sure or I am not sure probably I am the noob. If I install all, then linux and libreelec works if android and libreelec then only android. I really would use all 3 O/S
Did you used your odroid c2 ubuntu to do what I told you? I tried that way and doens't work (don't ask me why) this only works if you take off your sd card and do it in another linux machine ( I use my laptop with ubuntu)

TomPecs

Post by TomPecs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:35 am

yes I did it on my laptop as well

edit:

success with only loboris O/S. in the first/second pages there is some link what o/s work, and it is only works perfect with them...

eolas

Post by eolas » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 am

Hi I tried flashing a USB and a micro sd card with the multiboot image. The Odroid C2 just boots Ubuntu from the emmc. What am I missing here? I see no instructions to change boot.ini or anything. I just want to be able to select emmc (Ubuntu) or sdcard (libre elec) at boot.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 am

The emmc has priority when booting. Boot without it

eolas

Post by eolas » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 am

So the bootmenu comes from the USB or do I need to flash the installer on the sdcard? How then can I dualboot with an emmc?
Do I need to reinstall Ubuntu and Libreelec? If yes can I use my own Images or do they need to be prepared? If they need to be prepared, how? He talks about the fstab, but I only see an empty file on the github page.
Sorry but I'm not getting these infos from the first post here. (I'm experienced with GNU/Linux but a newb with SBCs)

-----
Edit:
Seems like my sdcard is faulty, this explains my problems.
Last edited by eolas on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Post by phaseshifter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:32 am

would it be possible to have diet-pi as a choice..???
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

barturblits

Post by barturblits » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:03 am

eolas wrote:So the bootmenu comes from the USB or do I need to flash the installer on the sdcard? How then can I dualboot with an emmc?
Do I need to reinstall Ubuntu and Libreelec? If yes can I use my own Images or do they need to be prepared? If they need to be prepared, how? He talks about the fstab, but I only see an empty file on the github page.
Sorry but I'm not getting these infos from the first post here. (I'm experienced with GNU/Linux but a newb with SBCs)

-----
Edit:
Seems like my sdcard is faulty, this explains my problems.
Bootmenu comes from the sd card or emmc, usb flash disk is only for installation media and backups/restore. If you want to dualboot both emmc and sdcard you need to put the multiboot installer on the emmc because it takes precedence over sdcard. At the moment, if you are gonna change the multiboot setup, you need to reinstall everything. You can first backup the OS' you want to keep, setup the new multiboot and then restore the selected backups with the optional new installers on the usb flash disk.
You can use your own images, but you have to manually correct some boot.ini files. Loboris uses its own snapshot boot.ini files and not the boot.ini files supplied with the installer. Sometimes the boot.ini file of a distro changes because a kernel parameter is added or a setting is changed. I have a quad boot setup right now, HK ubuntu, libreelec from Raybuntu (LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.arm-8.0-rb-krypton6.tar), latest volumio and lakka. In contrary to loboris, I only use the supplied boot.ini files from the distro's and I manually added Loboris multiboot code into these files. My boot menu has three options, but I can boot into lakka through a script from one of the OS' from the bootmenu but gonna change some code from loboris so it will recognize some more distro's and have more entries in the boot menu.

Keep in mind with SBC's, they don't have a bios, you supply bios stuff directly from the sdcard or emmc. They only boot one file, boot.ini. Grub is not supported yet, HK uboot does not support a boot menu yet. So loboris created a small arch linux distro to supply a boot menu (and installer). Selecting a boot option just starts the copy of the corresponding boot.ini file of the OS to the parent folder of the boot partition, overwriting the mulltiboot boot.ini and it initiates a reboot. Then it boots the bootloader with the selected OS parameters and just before actually booting the selected OS, the original boot.ini from multiboot is copied back to the parent folder of the multiboot partition (overwriting the boot.ini from the selected OS) so the next reboot will get you back in the boot menu.

You can find my changed boot.ini files as example on my github:

https://github.com/barturblits/Odroid_C ... ot_scripts

They are specific to the version of the distro I used, so you cannot blindly copy them and use them but they can function as example.
Also keep in mind, if you update the kernel in ubuntu with the multiboot setup, files in multiboot are not updated by ubuntu and if not updated it can give boot problems. I wrote a script which can be put in the kernel post install folder so it will update the files in the multiboot folder. I am still looking for a way to run a script after the initramfs is updated. I have a script that does the update but i still have to run it manually after an initramfs update. Multiboot comes at a price ;-)

alexxgg
languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Post by alexxgg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi everyone, I just generated an image file including Android 5.1.1, Ubuntu 16.04.1 and LibreELEC 7.0.1 the image file size is 7,28 GB without compression, I've compressed with .tar.xz to 752 MB. The idea of this is to offer a ready-to-boot image file without download and rename any OS.

Tested and working!

Download and info link: http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/odroid-c2/

If you find any issue, just let me know.
Last edited by alexxgg on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English, Korean, Japanese
ODROIDs: ODROID

Post by odroid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 am

@alexxgg
Thank you for sharing a nice image.
I've downloaded and flashed multiboot_c2_android_ubuntu_libreelec_2017.03.27.img.
But it doesn't boot on my SD card either eMMC. :(
Uncompressed image size is 5872025600 bytes.
Please check it.

alexxgg

Post by alexxgg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 am

Hi everyone,

UPDATE: Triple boot OS image for Android C2.

Tested and working!

Download link: http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/odroid-c2/

Last edited by alexxgg on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:28 am

This image(multiboot_c2_android_ubuntu_libreelec_fixed_2017.03.29.img) still doesn't work.
It booted but it showed "NO MULTIBOOT CARD DETECTED" on the screen.

alexxgg

Post by alexxgg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi everyone,

UPDATE: Triple boot OS image for Odroid C2

Tested and working!

Last edited by alexxgg on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

dememan

Post by dememan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi alexxgg!
Were can I find this image of yours?

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:17 am

@dememan
The original link was removed by alexxgg.
I believe he is making a new image.

dememan

Post by dememan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks @odrid
Just wait and see then :)

tebor8
ODROIDs: c2

Post by tebor8 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 am

Has anyone tried a LibreElec, Android, Lakka readyboot image? I think I am too much of a noob at this to handle it.

crazyquark
languages_spoken: english, french, romanian
ODROIDs: C1,C1+,C2,HC1,XU4

Post by crazyquark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:18 am

Hello,

The prepared image works however whenever I try to make my own image only the first boot is successful, after that I get the solid blue LED error.
I run:

sudo ./prepare_selfinst /dev/sdj c2 emmc
(/dev/sdj is my emmc card in a reader)

Do you remember how you made the prepared images? Am I missing something?

crazyquark
languages_spoken: english, french, romanian
ODROIDs: C1,C1+,C2,HC1,XU4

Post by crazyquark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 am

Ok, the command was:

Code: Select all

sudo su
./prepare_selfinst ./installer_c2.img c2
That builds a installer_c2.img file.
I flash that to the eMMC via:

Code: Select all

dd if=./installer_c2.img of=/dev/sdX oflag=direct bs=1M && sync
Now... after installing I need to fix boot.ini's and for Linux I also had to extract uIntird, Image and dtb from the emlinux partition and copy them on the multiboot folder on the emuserdata partition.
I have no idea why those get screwed up but after the first boot I suspect Linux updates the uInitird image but not sure why...

Basically, I needed to make sure that the boot.ini for LE and Linux where up to date, you can extract from original oelec.tar and linux.img the proper versions and you need to be careful to leave the changes made by the multiboot script...
It's kind of a lot of work but once you figure out the mechanisms then you can patch it manually. I got a dual boot of LE 8.0 and the latest Ubuntu 16.04 working. I don't care about Android at the moment but Android seemed to boot fine in all configurations.

alexxgg

Post by alexxgg » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:49 am

Hi everyone,

Finally I've generated a triple boot OS image Odroid C2. Tested and working!

Pre-installed OS: Android 5.1.1, Ubuntu minimal 16.04.1 and LibreELEC 7.0.1. There's no need to rename any OS images, just download this OS image and flash it on a SD card or eMMC module. Login details for Ubuntu: username (root) password (odroid).

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:51 am

Great!
I've installed alexxgg's new image on C2 16G eMMC.
Android 5.1.1 and LibreELEC 7.0.1 booted well and I enjoyed some tests on it. There was no issue so far.
But Ubuntu minimal doesn't boot. Serial console just shows "Starting kernel ..." and stop the booting process.

I will reflash the OS image again to make sure.

alexxgg

Post by alexxgg » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 am

Hi @odroid,

I'm glad to hear the OS image works for you. I don't have an eMMC module to test but I confirm the OS image works great on a SD card. I'm surprised that no one has shared these ready-to-boot OS images. The next goal for me is to generate an OS image with up-to-date Android, LibreELEC, Ubuntu MATE and Lakka for Odroid C2 and that will take some time but I'll be working on it in the next few weeks.

odroid
Site Admin

Post by odroid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:10 am

I tried it on eMMC again. But the Ubuntu minimal didn't boot.
I will try it on SD card tonight and get back to you.
Edit: Tested and it worked. :o Thank you :D

The new all-in-one image will be fantastic.
I will talk to our Magazine chief editor to make an article about your image once it is ready to use. :)

Anyway, we want to send you a 32GB eMMC module free of charge.
Please send me a PM with your shipping address.

rooted

Post by rooted » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:45 am

Multiboot is something a lot of people could get some use out of, nice work.

Another great improvement :)

barturblits

Post by barturblits » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:45 am

Anybody already found out how to manually build the multiboot initramfs?

I got stuck there when I wanted to fork/change some stuff, never got it working, even without changing something.

So I still cannot start with my todo/wish list:
- use boot ini files from distro and add multiboot parameters (in contrast to static prebuilt boot.ini files)
- add install/boot option for lakka and volumio
- easy update option in the boot menu for lakka/volumio/*elec
- add ubuntu kernel update and initrd update scripts to the multiboot installer (kernel updates are not updated in multiboot so it will render ubuntu unbootable)

At the moment I added all these changes manually and I do lakka/volumio/*elec updates through ssh/samba but hope to have make this more user friendly / automatic. Ubuntu kernel updates work correctly now with synaptic/apt.
Also still have to find out how to automatically start a script after an update of the initramfs in ubuntu, have to do that manually at the moment. So if someone knows..

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Is the initramfs updated with the kernel? If yes you can add a custom script in /etc/kernel.d/post-update

barturblits

Post by barturblits » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:05 am

mad_ady wrote:Is the initramfs updated with the kernel? If yes you can add a custom script in /etc/kernel.d/post-update
Yes, already have that working but sometimes initramfs is updated without a kernel update.

Edit:
Already found it in debian. You can drop scripts in /etc/initramfs/post-update.d/ Tested it in debian stretch and it works, so I'll test it in Ubuntu next.

dante6913

Post by dante6913 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:33 pm

barturblits wrote:
mad_ady wrote:Is the initramfs updated with the kernel? If yes you can add a custom script in /etc/kernel.d/post-update
Yes, already have that working but sometimes initramfs is updated without a kernel update.

Edit:
Already found it in debian. You can drop scripts in /etc/initramfs/post-update.d/ Tested it in debian stretch and it works, so I'll test it in Ubuntu next.
Hi barturblits,
is it safe to put update-uInitrd-multiboot in /etc/kernel.d/post-update on ubuntu?

zz-copy-boot-files-multiboot goes to /etc/kernel/postinst.d ?

Thanks

barturblits

Post by barturblits » Fri May 05, 2017 7:43 pm

dante6913 wrote:
barturblits wrote:

Edit:
Hi barturblits,
is it safe to put update-uInitrd-multiboot in /etc/kernel.d/post-update on ubuntu?

zz-copy-boot-files-multiboot goes to /etc/kernel/postinst.d ?

Thanks
Hi dante6913,

update-uInitrd-multiboot is for manual updating after update-initramfs has been run without a kernel update, so I would not put that in /etc/kernel.d/post-update.
zz-copy-boot-files-multiboot in /etc/kernel/postinst.d works.
I am rewriting the update-uInitrd-multiboot now and splitting up zz-copy-boot-files-multiboot script so one script will handle copying of uInitrd to multiboot after an update of the initramfs and another script will copy the kernel and dtb file to multiboot after a kernel update.

Return to “Projects”