Multiboot&Universal Installer for Odroid C1, C2 and XU3/XU4

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: Multiboot&Universal Installer for Odroid C1, C2 and XU3/

Unread postby davidwkerr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi All...and a big thank you to loboris for Multiboot and voodik for Lollipop, Nougat and other things.

I have been running multiboot on an XU4 with 64GB emmc plus Ubuntu 16.04 and CM12.1 (Lollipop- 5.1.1).

I am wondering how I can upgrade to (for instance) CM14? I HAVE successfully installed Nougat (loboris CM14) to an SD card but I would like to upgrade the CM12 to this on the emmc.

I really do not think that renaming the xxx.7z Nougat install files to update.zip will do anything. Taking my Nougat SD build and creating all the .img and other files so that I can make an update.zip of the correct format seems impractical.

So, how is it done? I imagine some of you have already achieved this.

I do not mind writing off the CM12.1 when installing Nougat- that is not a problem.

Puzzled,
Dave
davidwkerr

languages_spoken: English, French
ODROIDs: 3* XU4, 1xC2, 1xC1+

Unread postby davidwkerr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 am

In Android Update mode, the various update.zip files do not work for me because they are missing userdata.img and the system.img file is split into system_aa, system_ab etc and the installer does not recognise these- it wants "system.img".

Perhaps the aa, ab files can be joined to make system.img but certainly simple concatenation does not work.

Cheers,
Dave
davidwkerr

Unread postby davidwkerr » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Okay, hope this helps others. I now have Android 7.1.2 running with Ubuntu 16.04 Multiboot.

What I had to do:

1. Generate my own installation image from loboris's GitHub. It is more up to date than the prebuilt images.

2. I changed the references to "emystem" and "sdystem" to "emsystem" and "sdsystem" respectively in the install script file because the script could not mount my system install partition for Android (by name).

3. The backup and install from backup (on USB disk) work reliably (thank goodness) so I was able to do lots of testing. But in the end, I went with a straight install of voodik's CM14.1 using his update.zip. But I had to modify it (as I did all update.zips used).

4. Unzipped update.zip and concatenated the system_aa, system_ab..... files with cat system_* > system.img. Then deleted the split files. Also had to add a dummy userdata.img file else the install script will not update or indeed install. Then rezipped all the files in the directory to a new update.zip and that worked perfectly.

Regards,
Dave
davidwkerr

Unread postby dante6913 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:43 pm

davidwkerr wrote:Okay, hope this helps others. I now have Android 7.1.2 running with Ubuntu 16.04 Multiboot.

What I had to do:

1. Generate my own installation image from loboris's GitHub. It is more up to date than the prebuilt images.

2. I changed the references to "emystem" and "sdystem" to "emsystem" and "sdsystem" respectively in the install script file because the script could not mount my system install partition for Android (by name).

3. The backup and install from backup (on USB disk) work reliably (thank goodness) so I was able to do lots of testing. But in the end, I went with a straight install of voodik's CM14.1 using his update.zip. But I had to modify it (as I did all update.zips used).

4. Unzipped update.zip and concatenated the system_aa, system_ab..... files with cat system_* > system.img. Then deleted the split files. Also had to add a dummy userdata.img file else the install script will not update or indeed install. Then rezipped all the files in the directory to a new update.zip and that worked perfectly.

Regards,
Dave

Great work
Can you share your mod update.zip?
Thank you
dante6913

languages_spoken: english, Portuguese
ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby davidwkerr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:57 am

Hi, I am happy to do that. Just need to figure out a way given the poor upload speeds in Australia.
More later,
Regards,
Dave
davidwkerr

Unread postby davidwkerr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 am

Okay, here is my update.zip. I put it on my web site.

https://www.kerr.net.au/dpkerr/update.odroid

Download it, rename to update.zip, do a md5 check- it should be:

bbe66434c6e7d7e90468a78581abbde9

It is around 425MBytes in size. I advise using a USB attached disk and not a memory stick for the install due to the number of temporary files created, copied and moved. A memory stick would be very slow.

Please note that I have used this particular update.zip with the Multiboot installer INSTALL option but not tested it with the "Update Android" option.

Remember to generate a new multiboot installer before you start.

Regards,
Dave
davidwkerr

Unread postby dante6913 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:17 pm

davidwkerr wrote:Okay, here is my update.zip. I put it on my web site.

https://www.kerr.net.au/dpkerr/update.odroid

Download it, rename to update.zip, do a md5 check- it should be:

bbe66434c6e7d7e90468a78581abbde9

It is around 425MBytes in size. I advise using a USB attached disk and not a memory stick for the install due to the number of temporary files created, copied and moved. A memory stick would be very slow.

Please note that I have used this particular update.zip with the Multiboot installer INSTALL option but not tested it with the "Update Android" option.

Remember to generate a new multiboot installer before you start.

Regards,
Dave

Thank you, Dave
dante6913

Unread postby qwertyodroid » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 am

Hi! Good evening!

At the first time, sorry about my english.

I´m new here. I´d would like about the possibility about change the size of partitions. I´ve a emmc 128 gb and I cannot use more than a 100 gb because gparted can´t do more than four partitions. I´ve used multiboot v3.

Thanks a lot!

PD: if your spanish is better than my english, please, use it ;)
qwertyodroid

languages_spoken: spanish english

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 pm

You will need do convert a primary partition in a extended one and you can create logical partitions inside. Not sure if multiboot supports them by default though.
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby qwertyodroid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:25 am

mad_ady wrote:You will need do convert a primary partition in a extended one and you can create logical partitions inside. Not sure if multiboot supports them by default though.

Thanks you very much mad_ady. I tried that, but gparted can´t let me change and do something. I´ll try to install multiboot manually, but I dont know how can i do from Windows 10.

Thanks a lot again for you answer
qwertyodroid

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:49 am

It should work with gparted, but you need to delete the last partition and create an extended one. Inside the extended partition you need to create one (or more) logical partitions.
If it doesn't work post back screenshots with the error message.
mad_ady

Unread postby qwertyodroid » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:46 am

mad_ady wrote:It should work with gparted, but you need to delete the last partition and create an extended one. Inside the extended partition you need to create one (or more) logical partitions.
If it doesn't work post back screenshots with the error message.

Thanks again. I just tried to do that but I can´t remove the last partition because is a linux partition and gparted doesn´t let me unmount the partition.
I´ve just installer ubuntu mate from hardkernel. How can I continue for install multiboot? I read the tutorial but I don´t understan so good.
Sorry, I,m new in Linux, my knowledge is basical.

Thank you very much for your interest.
qwertyodroid

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:02 am

You should make changes to the partitions with the emmc/sdcard connected to a different system (e.g. booted from a different disk)
mad_ady

Unread postby hominoid » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 am

qwertyodroid wrote:Thanks again. I just tried to do that but I can´t remove the last partition because is a linux partition and gparted doesn´t let me unmount the partition.
I´ve just installer ubuntu mate from hardkernel. How can I continue for install multiboot? I read the tutorial but I don´t understan so good.
Sorry, I,m new in Linux, my knowledge is basical.

Thank you very much for your interest.

@qwertyodroid, you can also use a "live CD/USB" version of gparted standalone to overcome your issue. Download an image and burm/flash to the appropriate media (DVD or USB Stick) and then boot to it on a laptop/desktop to modify or setup your partitions on the Odroid emmc or SDcard, in a USB reader. Here is a link to the gparted site where you can find a live image.
https://gparted.sourceforge.io/
hominoid

ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1

Unread postby Osdieman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi All Friends here..
First of all.. big thank you to Loboris for his hard work...!!!

I have a problem .. i have an odroid c2 with an hifi shield 2 sound card..
My goal is to run at least two distro's..

Distro 1 = Libreelec Latest from raybuntu
Distro 2 = Volumio

i managed to install 3 distr.'s were only two are running.. and the third ( Libreelec ) will not boot and gives only blue light..
I have searched and searched and tried and tried.. but i am stuck..
Is there anybody who could point me to the right direction to get to my goal..
Best regards Osdieman
Osdieman

ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Unread postby sdip » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 am

minca wrote:!No Multiboot card detected

I finally got around to play with this. Following the instructions above..
davidwkerr wrote:Okay, hope this helps others. I now have Android 7.1.2 running with Ubuntu 16.04 Multiboot.

Created my own repo with the fix mentionied by @davidwkerr https://github.com/slayer1991/Odroid_Multiboot

I had a 8 GB EMMC and a 16 GB SDCard.

Method 1
Prerequisite for me: have a linux install on the EMMC
It seems that the 'init' script doesn't detect EMMC and SD cards properly (at least in my case). The following env vars were fine:
    BOOT_CARDTYPE="SD"
    OTHER_CARDTYPE="EMMC"
but these were wrong:
    BOOT_CARDDEV=0
    OTHER_CARDDEV=1

Once it started, press X for the bash prompt. "fdisk -l" allowed me to identify the proper number for CARDDEV under the form mmcblk<number_here_from_card_size>p1

After I swapped around the vars, the installer started properly:
    BOOT_CARDDEV=1
    OTHER_CARDDEV=0

Method 2
Keep just the SD card for the first install, add the EMMC after

Other notes
Can't install linux2 without linux1 (may have been mentioned on the forum)
Can't install the 2 linux installs on different cards (emmc vs sd)

Will continue to edit this post if further issues encountered and solved :)
sdip

Unread postby Tony32 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:22 am

When I try to DD the image to my SDCARD I get errors with "invalid argument", error writing '/dev/sdb' triet both sdb and sdb1 which is my SD-card. Anyone know whats wrong?
Tony32

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:04 am

What is your exact dd command? What does sudo blkid show?
mad_ady

Unread postby Tony32 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:28 pm

mad_ady wrote:What is your exact dd command? What does sudo blkid show?

I ran the command listed in the tutorial.
Code: Select all
sudo dd if=multiinstaller_XU.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1MB oflag=direct

I checked in the diskmanager and it said the disk was /dev/sdb
However, I tried flashing it to SD card with etcher of my Windows pc, which worked. At least it boots.
But as someone else said in a previous post, I also get the message "no multiboot card detected" or whatever it was. When I went for the option to install OS'es, it gave me an error that saib something about "error copying multiboot files".

I had my linux image on the first partition of my NTFS external hdd and it was renamed to linux.img. Tried connecting the external drive before booting the odroid and also tried it during, same issue.

Something useful might be that the eMMC that was installed on the board already had an OS installed. The microSD card used for the multiboot image is a sandisk U3. Oh and yeah, duh, I havent mentioned which board I have. I have the XU4.

I didn't have any luck with getting past my issues, so right now I run Recalbox.
Tony32

Unread postby YesCop » Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am

Hello Loboris and co,

I am new to odroid.
I have an xu4 and played with multi installer.
I had installed two linux images ubuntu 16.4 and retropie (ora).
I cannot boot twice without errors.
I read almost all the scripts and why the kernel exynos xu3 is used even on a xu4 (in first boot, in linux boot and linux2 boot)?
In the first instance, my ubuntu booted but I hadn't ethernet. This problem is solved if kernel xu4 is used.
I tried to change manually this. It worked for the first boot and the init and boot files are reverted to old ones.
May be due the init file in /.
Then my question is can the author make a multiboot image done for xu4?
Thanks
YesCop

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Sat May 26, 2018 6:34 am

Would it be possible to add in installation to hard drive in this or is that too much work?

Thanks
cliffyfromboro

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat May 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Haven't tested but it should already worl. Hdds are viewed as usb storage
mad_ady

Unread postby tomop123 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Tony,

had exactly the same issue. Found out that dd uses this ambiguous error also when it doesn't like the oflag. So I've removed oflag from the command and it's working now.

sudo dd if=multiinstaller_XU.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1MB

Tony32 wrote:
mad_ady wrote:What is your exact dd command? What does sudo blkid show?

I ran the command listed in the tutorial.
sudo dd if=multiinstaller_XU.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1MB oflag=direct

I checked in the diskmanager and it said the disk was /dev/sdb
However, I tried flashing it to SD card with etcher of my Windows pc, which worked. At least it boots.
But as someone else said in a previous post, I also get the message "no multiboot card detected" or whatever it was. When I went for the option to install OS'es, it gave me an error that saib something about "error copying multiboot files".

I had my linux image on the first partition of my NTFS external hdd and it was renamed to linux.img. Tried connecting the external drive before booting the odroid and also tried it during, same issue.

Something useful might be that the eMMC that was installed on the board already had an OS installed. The microSD card used for the multiboot image is a sandisk U3. Oh and yeah, duh, I havent mentioned which board I have. I have the XU4.

I didn't have any luck with getting past my issues, so right now I run Recalbox.
tomop123

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby dante6913 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Odroid c2 with the Barturblits scripts would work ok when updating ubuntu 16.04.
With ubuntu 18.04 I'm getting a error when updating the kernel, I always end with error on mounting /media/boot. Does anyone have the same issue?
I'm getting this error.

fat-fs (mcblk0p1): IO charset UTF8 not found
dante6913

Unread postby m4f2g » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Edit:

I Did not get behind that.... i really really tried...

use prepared multiboot installer images, in multiinstaller_C1|C2|XU.img.zip, unzip to some empty directory
->runsudo dd if=multiinstaller_C1|C2|XU.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1MB oflag=direct

if the image file is created, you can write the image to SDCard using dd command.
copy your installation sources ((..)Linux .img,) to the first partition of your USB drive
rename the Linux installation image to linux.img!

on Odroid UX4/XU3 set the boot switch to boot from SDCard
connect you USB drive to Odroid, insert SDCard and power on
select Install from menu
follow the instructions to select desired partition sizes and installation destination (SDCard or EMMC)

it is a little bit confusing... Does i need an extra usb drive (stick or hdd/ssd whatever)..?

I only have a "huge" (blue) eMMC and a 2,5" 1tb hdd via usb3.0 intended as extended home drive.. . Could borrow one from camera...

on Odroid UX4/XU3 set the boot switch to boot from SDCard
without µ-sd-card?

How should the emmC (be formatted)?
There is by default a 128MiB (fat16) primary partition on it known as mmcblk0p1.
Then on my own decision a ext4 / root for ubuntu Mate 18.04. Rest is extended... unallocated... mmcblkOp2

Where (partition) should placed multiinstallerxu.img?
use prepared multiboot installer images, in multiinstaller_XU.img.zip, unzip to some empty directory
where??? emmC {or usb hdd or other stick}?

And each other Linux of different os img?
in the next partition? should make it a differend if extended, primary or logical?

Thanks
m4f2g

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet

Previous

Return to Projects