[SOLVED] Use AdGuard Remotely

parkernathan
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0

[SOLVED] Use AdGuard Remotely

Post by parkernathan »

I have AdGuard setup on my ODROID XU4 to cover my home network. If I wanted to run traffic over my AdGuard connection when away from home (such as on my laptop or iPhone), what would I need to set it up? Maybe install PiVPN and add a VPN connection to both machines?

Thanks!
Last edited by parkernathan on Sun May 01, 2022 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rooted

Re: Use AdGuard Remotely

Post by rooted »

A VPN would work, yes.

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance, M1

Post by mad_ady »

pivpn is great and easy to setup on xu4.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Honestly though I would just use Adguard DNS or even better nextdns which is highly customizable and has Adguards list among others which are better with advanced analytics.

parkernathan

Post by parkernathan »

I had NextDNS but moved to AdGuard on my home network since it has overall better performance and control. I'll compare PiVPN to Adguard DNS and see which one I'd prefer. Thanks!

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4 (HC1, HC2), C1+, C2, C4 (HC4), N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance, M1

Re: [SOLVED] Use AdGuard Remotely

Post by mad_ady »

Note that pivpn only is an easy openvpn installer. It has nothing to do with dns. But it helps you query your dns server.

parkernathan

Post by parkernathan »

Good info!

For now, I went ahead and installed the AdGuard iPhone app on my iPhone, enabled DNS Filtering, and mirrored my settings from AdGuard Home into the app. I had to pay for a Lifetime Premium license for it, but I wanted to donate to AdGuard anyway as a thanks for AdGuard Home, so it worked.

Since I'll probably connect my Linux machine to the iPhone's Mobile Hotspot instead of Wi-Fi on the go, that should also extend AdGuard to it on the go.

I may still play with PiVPN later, but at least I have a quick solution for now.

rooted

Post by rooted »

I run Adguard app on my Android phones because it can do https filtering and clean up pages unlike regular DNS based filtering.

I do have pihole running in a container on my N2+ which I can connect remotely by way of wireguard which I use for my iPad on the go, not nearly as good as Adguard on Android but it's certainly much better than nothing. I also have pihole running on Google cloud with OpenVPN which is strictly DNS based so it uses very little data and allows it to be cost free as my backup.

IMO It's worth installing a VPN with ad filtering even if you rarely use it, if for no other reason than the learning experience.

Nuts_
languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: XU4, N2
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nuts_ »

parkernathan wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:02 am
If I wanted to run traffic over my AdGuard connection when away from home (such as on my laptop or iPhone),
This question mostly about netwoking routing. At all, u need to have access to home network.
In easy case it means "open port on yours router", but also you need to know yours external IP - so read about DDNS, then u can have address DNS querys to XU4
direct VPN conection to home is just tuneling u having same tasks to do, with less perfomance (VPN having some latency and overhead)
But more problem if yours internet providers using NAT and u just cant have direct access to network
Solution is to have some server in MIDDLE of home and external devices, but its more complex question

Return to “Projects”