HC2 Nextcloud SATA disk

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

HC2 Nextcloud SATA disk

Unread postby brunocortona » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Hello dear friend,
I would like to share my experience with all of you.
I configured a Nextcloud installation starting from this guide http://autonomousdev.net/index.php/2018 ... tup-guide/. You can see I am using a WD NAS disk mounted on SATA slot, single partition formatted in ext4, no swap for os.
It was very clear and installation was good, no problems.
But performance of Ubuntu + Nexcloud on Odroid HC2 are not very good.
The maximum speed reached on a local single file transfer is 15Mb/s ( less than about 80-100Mb/s) for a Gigabit speed.
I mean, something doesn't figure out because everything seems to be ok...
- Gigabit Ethernet working condition (Gigabit Router, Network Cards, CAT6 Cable) [tested with terminal... speed=1000Mbit/s)
- Optimized performance with:
- CPU governor configured to “ondemand” (https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... 4/20171212)
- Ondemand governor tuning ( https://obihoernchen.net/1235/odroid-xu ... ediavault/ )
- File transfer from linux os and ext4 formatted disk on to webdev remote folder on Odroid SATA hdd...

During file transfer I monitor a 2.2 overload of cpu... 0.32 during idle...
So in the end this is however a great solution for an own cloud... but it would be nice see transfer speed of 80-100Mb/s.
Maybe Nextcloud requests more ram than 2gb provided by odroid? Using swap partition for os could be a solution?
Maybe I am doing something wrong... :mrgreen: this is always possible
brunocortona

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC2

Re: HC2 Nextcloud SATA disk

Unread postby brunocortona » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Testing an SSH file transfer (1Gb iso installation disk) from a pc connected to lan on odroid folder destination with root user maximum speed reached is 37.8MB/s...
brunocortona

Unread postby rooted » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:50 pm

brunocortona wrote:Testing an SSH file transfer (1Gb iso installation disk) from a pc connected to lan on odroid folder destination with root user maximum speed reached is 37.8MB/s...
SSH has a large amount of overhead due to encryption, 38 MB/s isn't bad for a SoC.

Use a protocol designed for file transfer, such as NFS, FTP, or SMB.

Verify connection speed between server and HC2 with iperf.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby brunocortona » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:34 am

ok yes other video files reached 50MB/s over ssh so I can accept this speed... but 10MB/s not.
However Nextcloud with this installation guides works awesome, the only problem is that it is not able to manage file dimensions greater than 2GB.
I googled some solutions and I find that it is possible modify this limit but I tried without success...
When I try to edit .htaccess with root user say "read only file system"...

At this point I think that I start again following original XU4 guide for a nap setup with openmediavault.
brunocortona

Unread postby rooted » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 am

OMV is okay but I wouldn't upgrade it to version 4, it is terrible.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby brunocortona » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello,
so I started again with a new installation of an ubuntu nas on my odroid hc2 following official install guide on odroid wiki.
I used Ubuntu 18.04 minimal and samba Plex serviio works fine. I skipped directly to Nextcloud 13.0.4 and unfortunately after various configuration test for nginx it is not working... of course I am doing wrong something.
So for the time being I will start again for a new installation of ubuntu nas 18.04 and a snap installation of nextcloud because I tested from the guide posted in the first post. After I will go on with installing samba Plex and serviio following odroid wiki guide.
So this could be an easy installation procedure... but remains the problem of that was impossible to edit maximum upload file dimension for nexdtcloud. But it is not really mandatory if you use samba as file transfer protocol.

What do you think?
Let me know

I hope this useful for the community.
brunocortona

Unread postby brunocortona » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 pm

here we have a confirmation about impossibility to edit maximum upload file dimension limit https://help.nextcloud.com/t/change-max ... ion/7119/8
brunocortona

Return to Projects