ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with Kodi for XU3/XU4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Well that's slightly troublesome, you only have Kernel 3.10.104+, and the package I uploaded is for 3.10.106+.
While you "could" exchange the files on the bootfs, your windows system does not show the rootfs partition, as it is an ext4 partition, but without the files for the rootfs partition it won't boot either.

Still your 3.10.104 kernel seems to be fine.. everything is in place that "should" work.

So I don't think your bootfs is damaged.

Are you booting from a SD or eMMC?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby will_santana » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 am

It's a class 10 32GB sandisk SD card as most of the others I have (some smaller, some slower...)

Using an app called ext2explore I can READ (RO) the rootfs and all the folders of the system. But it the SD has only two partitions in it, the EXT4 I've shown you, and the other with the rootfs that I can read using the app.

Any clues?
I'll probably be buying a USB card reader so I can fsck the partition using the odroid itself with other SD, but It will require some time 'cause thay are becoming hard to find here in Brazil.

[]s
will_santana

languages_spoken: english, portuguese, spanish

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:56 am

will_santana wrote:It's a class 10 32GB sandisk SD card as most of the others I have (some smaller, some slower...)

SD cards can wear down and corrupt easier than eMMC modules, although SanDisk (especially the Ultra series) seem to be very compatible.
But some SD cards are known to cause issues, I had a SanDisk Extreme once; that SD card got corrupted, even by just booting, but I think that was fixed at some point with better drivers.

will_santana wrote:Using an app called ext2explore I can READ (RO) the rootfs and all the folders of the system. But it the SD has only two partitions in it, the EXT4 I've shown you, and the other with the rootfs that I can read using the app.

bootfs is a fat partition so it can be read and altered under windows and other OS without extra tools.
If you can read the rootfs, can you check on /var/log/syslog for any entries? You said last entries are from 30th Aug? Does this apply for the syslog as well?
What were the last entries?

will_santana wrote:Any clues?

Hard to tell without logs. I guess you don't have an UART? That might really help.

will_santana wrote:I'll probably be buying a USB card reader so I can fsck the partition using the odroid itself with other SD, but It will require some time 'cause thay are becoming hard to find here in Brazil.

[]s

Since you are already able to access the SD card via Windows, there must already be a way you can connect it to your Windows system.
You could boot a Linux from CD/DVD or USB live disc image and with that access the SD card as well, that way you could even alter the SD cards content if you want to.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby will_santana » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 am

When I get home I'll send you the syslog files.
But them too are from Aug 30th as long as I can remember and the server was running fine after that.

Be back with aditional info later
And thanks for the idea of the live CD. I completely forgot that option!

[]s
will_santana

Unread postby DimVim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:28 am

After doing apt-get update && apt get upgrade I got an issue with the graphic drivers. Kodi not smooth anymore. Same with the movies. Need your help. What I need to reinstall to get everything back? Thanks.
DimVim

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm

First make sure you also do apt-get dist-upgradeas well, as this will upgrade the Kernel and other drivers.
You can "try" to reinstall the GPU drivers apt-get install --reinstall malit628-odroid this could help if the mesa drivers were part of the update process.
Else I have to little information to make any good suggestion.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:40 am

After struggling a little with some live cd images I've managed to mount the SD in a VM running ubuntu and fsck it.

This was the third pass (stopped the two first ones because I thought the system has frozen but the check was really slow)

I'll try to boot up the system when I get home. Fingers crossed!

TKS
will_santana

Unread postby will_santana » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Unfornetaly the fsck didn't helped...

Guess I'll have to reinstall it all from scratch. My last system image is a little too old.
I've managed to backup the whole rootfs to a tar.gz file so I can access the config files and other things I might need.

And I'll put a monthly image routine on my schedule to prevent this in the future again...
OGST was good enought to make me addicted to it and worth all the work to get it back running.

See you soon!
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear it wasn't working.
Can you send me the logs we were talking about? I'd like to see if there were any signs at all.

Using eMMC or HDD can also help a lot as they are more robust for your future project.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:00 am

I'll gather the logs and post here for you.

As the XU4 is working as my media/file server besides player and emu (amazing for such a small machine) HDDs are not a problem. Got about 10 plugged via an self powererd USB 3.0 hub. I even had one running 24/7 as the TEMP disk for downloads, processing and swap. It would be nice if it could be the rootfs too.
I'd even free my 32gb class 10 SD for another uses (as my motorcycle cam).

How do I do it?

[]s
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:16 am

will_santana wrote:It would be nice if it could be the rootfs too.

There's an option on the Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo tool on the desktop to move the rootfs to an attached HDD.
It can use entire HDDs or single partitions. If you want to use only a part of the HDD for rootfs, make a partition first, and select that partition via Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:30 am

meveric wrote:
will_santana wrote:It would be nice if it could be the rootfs too.

There's an option on the Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo tool on the desktop to move the rootfs to an attached HDD.
It can use entire HDDs or single partitions. If you want to use only a part of the HDD for rootfs, make a partition first, and select that partition via Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo.

Thank you so much
I'm currently at work and was reinstalling OGST here in the 32GB card. I'll stop the processe and use a 8GB one I have around as the rootfs will be moved to the HDD partition. The partition will be expanded during the move? I mean, I've never had problems related to space with 32GB, but maybe 8 isn't enought. I mean, have a 32 or 64GB HDD partition and the 8GB partition migrated from the SD will use all the available space?
And if I'm right I'll still need the SD card attached just to boot up, right?
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 am

will_santana wrote:The partition will be expanded during the move?

It uses LVM which allows you to resize partitions on the fly.
It will take the entire partition as a LVM physical volume, but will only allocate size of your current rootfs +5GB of space. You can later resize the partition "on the fly" when ever you want/need, or can create new partitions like swap or anything else you want.

will_santana wrote:I mean, have a 32 or 64GB HDD partition and the 8GB partition migrated from the SD will use all the available space?

As I said, it will register the entire parition/hdd (depending on your choice) as a LVM physical volume, but not the entire space is used right from start, but you can adjust the size later as you want/need.

will_santana wrote:And if I'm right I'll still need the SD card attached just to boot up, right?

Yes, the bootfs will still be on the SD card, but as this hardly changes (only on Kernel updates) this will be pretty solid.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:15 am

meveric wrote:
will_santana wrote:The partition will be expanded during the move?

It uses LVM which allows you to resize partitions on the fly.
It will take the entire partition as a LVM physical volume, but will only allocate size of your current rootfs +5GB of space. You can later resize the partition "on the fly" when ever you want/need, or can create new partitions like swap or anything else you want.

will_santana wrote:I mean, have a 32 or 64GB HDD partition and the 8GB partition migrated from the SD will use all the available space?

As I said, it will register the entire parition/hdd (depending on your choice) as a LVM physical volume, but not the entire space is used right from start, but you can adjust the size later as you want/need.

will_santana wrote:And if I'm right I'll still need the SD card attached just to boot up, right?

Yes, the bootfs will still be on the SD card, but as this hardly changes (only on Kernel updates) this will be pretty solid.

I'm familiar with LVM so it will be easy.
I'll stop the procedures I'm doing now and restart on the slow 8GB SD.

Thank you so much again.

I'll be back with the logs and maybe some pics of my disassembled "server" for you

See ya
will_santana

Unread postby BlacKHeaDSg1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:10 am

Hello everyone.

Just recently i bought Odroid XU4 and now i am trying to configure core or Retroarch config. So, i have some problems with emulating N64 Games (i have black lines in textures) so i thought that with some video changes i could solved problem. Well, not i can't open any games. It just crashes.

What i need is new config file (i can't delete it, idk how). Please help me, i am new in RetroArch/Linux stuff.

EDIT: I did figure out how to delete Retroarch.cfg but i did nothing. I can't emulate N64/Famicom games.

EDIT 2: I changes some settings in Emulator Stations and now works. Even black lines in textures disappeared.
BlacKHeaDSg1

Unread postby meveric » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:15 am

BlacKHeaDSg1 wrote:Hello everyone.

Just recently i bought Odroid XU4 and now i am trying to configure core or Retroarch config. So, i have some problems with emulating N64 Games (i have black lines in textures) so i thought that with some video changes i could solved problem. Well, not i can't open any games. It just crashes.

If you do an apt-get install --reinstall setup-ogst-odroid it should restore the config files you modified/replaced. They should also be somewhere under /usr/local/share/setup-ogst/

BlacKHeaDSg1 wrote:EDIT: I did figure out how to delete Retroarch.cfg but i did nothing. I can't emulate N64/Famicom games.

There are a lot of changes lately and N64 emulator will be replaced if you do a system update with the newer mupen64plus core based on GLupeN64 which is a core based around the GLideN64 graphics core which normally has better performance and graphics ability compared to the older parallel-n64 cores: viewtopic.php?p=203133#p203133
Famicon should run with NES emulator, but I will soon modify the system to create a specific folder for famicom disk station alone.

BlacKHeaDSg1 wrote:EDIT 2: I changes some settings in Emulator Stations and now works. Even black lines in textures disappeared.

Emulation Station itself should have no effect on any emulation at all. It's only a frontend that starts the real emulator. It can't control settings or anything.
Aside from choosing what emulator to start with what parameters Emulation Station has no influence on emulation what so ever.
meveric

Unread postby BlacKHeaDSg1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:28 am

meveric wrote:
BlacKHeaDSg1 wrote:Hello everyone.

If you do an apt-get install --reinstall setup-ogst-odroid it should restore the config files you modified/replaced. They should also be somewhere under /usr/local/share/setup-ogst/

BlacKHeaDSg1 wrote:EDIT: I did figure out how to delete Retroarch.cfg but i did nothing. I can't emulate N64/Famicom games.

There are a lot of changes lately and N64 emulator will be replaced if you do a system update with the newer mupen64plus core based on GLupeN64 which is a core based around the GLideN64 graphics core which normally has better performance and graphics ability compared to the older parallel-n64 cores: viewtopic.php?p=203133#p203133
Famicon should run with NES emulator, but I will soon modify the system to create a specific folder for famicom disk station alone.

BlacKHeaDSg1 wrote:EDIT 2: I changes some settings in Emulator Stations and now works. Even black lines in textures disappeared.

Emulation Station itself should have no effect on any emulation at all. It's only a frontend that starts the real emulator. It can't control settings or anything.
Aside from choosing what emulator to start with what parameters Emulation Station has no influence on emulation what so ever.

Thank you so much for answer, a lot of things to write down for next time. Yea, this N64 core is not perfect, i do miss some letters in Tony Hawk game it its working mostly fine. I think that i downloaded some additional packages for N64 core.
BlacKHeaDSg1

Unread postby Sheby » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 am

Hello everyone, especially maveric.
Thanks for all your hard work, this image is exactly why i bought XU4.
I'll write my setup down and hope you can help me.
I have ODROID-GameStation-Turbo-3.9.4-20170806-XU3+XU4-Jessie.img.xz image installed.
I've done the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade as 1st post suggests, had to use sudo, hope that's normal.
I have my media stored on external hard drive connected via usb3. Deluge is also running to seed/download torrents from/to that external drive.
Using 16GB eMMC moule, image was flashed using eMMC reader to SD card reader on windows with odroid Win32DiskImager as described in the ux4 manual.
When the module was plugged in my windows machine only one partition was visible with a size ~220MB, after flashing your image it was ~180MB, not sure if that is normal.

Now, my issue is that video playback is glitchy , it slows down form time to time (frame drops?) and there is noticeable tearing.
When I turn deluge on it gets very bad, opening HW monitor shows one core at 100%.
I've tired multiple mkv files and they all tear and "slow down" form moments.
Should I use other movie formats? Is simultaneous torrent seeding and movie watching impossible on this device?
Or is there something wrong? Should I try an older version of your image? like 3.9.3 instead 3.9.4?

Since you have a music player, browser and video game open in you first post screen shot, I think I'm not expecting too much.

Thanks for any help, I'll make sure to donate once this is sorted.
Sheby

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:05 am

Sheby wrote:When the module was plugged in my windows machine only one partition was visible with a size ~220MB, after flashing your image it was ~180MB, not sure if that is normal.

Yes that is pretty normal. There are two partitions on the eMMC/SD cards the boot partition, which is in a FAT format so windows and other OS can read and write it, and the rootfs which is an ext4 Linux partition and Windows can't see that one.

Sheby wrote:Now, my issue is that video playback is glitchy , it slows down form time to time (frame drops?) and there is noticeable tearing.

This depends on how you start the videos.
Only XBMC/Kodi can run videos hardware decoded. If you start a video from the desktop with double click it runs in software decoder and that might not always work perfectly.
If It's laggy inside Kodi, it could be an issue with the video format. Generally it should be capable to display movies in H264 in 1080p in up to 60 FPS (better 30 FPS).

Sheby wrote:When I turn deluge on it gets very bad, opening HW monitor shows one core at 100%.

The moment one core hits 100% it's probably dropping frames. Maybe you can pin Deluge to the little cores and leave the big cores for video decoding (if you're using software decoder).
Sheby wrote:I've tired multiple mkv files and they all tear and "slow down" form moments.

As I said up to 1080p H264 should work fine. On desktop in software decoding 720p and 1080p should work "ok" as well, but only Kodi can use hardware decoder at the moment.
Sheby wrote:Should I use other movie formats? Is simultaneous torrent seeding and movie watching impossible on this device?

I'm not too familiar with the CPU usage for seeding, but I believe the XU4 should be capable of doing both, at least if you're using Kodi to watch videos (Kodi offers a Window mode as well if you need it).
Sheby wrote:Or is there something wrong?

I suspect you're using software decoding for videos, that might be an issue, but nothing too serious, if you switch to Kodi everything should work fine.
If that's not the case we might have to investigate a little further :)
Sheby wrote:Should I try an older version of your image? like 3.9.3 instead 3.9.4?

Nope, that won't change anything. The apt-get commands should update the system from 3.9.3 to 3.9.4 anyway, so no need to use an older version.

Sheby wrote:Since you have a music player, browser and video game open in you first post screen shot, I think I'm not expecting too much.

Nope you do not. The XU4 should be able to handle it. Seeding should be a background task and not interfere with videos or games too much.
meveric

Unread postby Sheby » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Forgot to mention I'm running my videos in Kodi, that was my first realisation when I tried running them in vlc and and all I got was black screen.
And let me say again playing videos in kodi without anything else started there is tearing and dropped frames, and once deluge is on it gets really bad.

How would I ping deluge to other/weaker cores?

Let me try to find some details from the videos I was running, maybe that could help.

EDIT: I use fullscreen on Kodi and for other programs i switch to other workspace via ctrl+alt+arrow keys, is that an acceptable workflow?
Sheby

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Sheby wrote:Forgot to mention I'm running my videos in Kodi, that was my first realisation when I tried running them in vlc and and all I got was black screen.
And let me say again playing videos in kodi without anything else started there is tearing and dropped frames, and once deluge is on it gets really bad.

VLC runs terribly bad on ARM boards (that's why it's not pre-installed), but there are alternatives such as ffplay or mpv which work much better (and are already installed).
Anyway, running them in Kodi is good, and it should work here.
There are a few things you can do:
1. If you start Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo on the Desktop, there is an option that can reduce tearing in video.
It will force Kodi to always run in 60 Hz mode, even if videos are 24 or 25 FPS. This is known to reduce tearing.
2. check if the hardware decoder is running.
When a video is playing press "o" on your keyboard, it should show some statistics about the video and Kodi. 3rd line from bottom (4th from top) should have a section starting with "dc:" this shows what decoder is used.
it should show something like dc:mfc-mpeg4 or something similar. If it shows "mfc-" that means the hardware decoder is used. If it shows "ff-" that means ffmpeg software decoder is used.
3. check the output of "ffprobe <video-file>" in the terminal, it will give a detailed analysis of the video file and the used format, please post the output here.
4. try using mpv or ffplay as a software decoder from the desktop and compare performance.

Sheby wrote:How would I ping deluge to other/weaker cores?

start deluge, and open a new terminal window, type "htop". Press F5 to switch to "tree" view of the processes.
Search for the deluge process and press "a" (affinity) and uncheck core 4-7 from the list, then confirm with Enter.
There are other methods, but that's an easy one i think.

Sheby wrote:EDIT: I use fullscreen on Kodi and for other programs i switch to other workspace via ctrl+alt+arrow keys, is that an acceptable workflow?

Sure, that's fine, that's how it's suppose to work :)
meveric

Unread postby Sheby » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:36 am

Ran the fix form the ODROID setup, everything is fine now.
Kodi runs fine, tried few videos, no tearing no lag, entire system runes better.
Thanks for the help.
Kod is running on hardware decoder, checked that too.

One unrelated question, after restarting the system, deluge started indexing/checking all of the torrents again, could that be a permission error or? Should i try running deluge as admin?
Sheby

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:48 am

Starting Deluge as root should not be required, but try to turn off Deluge first before you shut down the system.
Then again, maybe it's the way Deluge works, you know, checking the files first before deciding what to do. I think most torrent clients do that.
meveric

Unread postby Sheby » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Tried turning off Deluge before system restart, everything went fine.
Thanks for all your help.
Sheby

Unread postby kilnsob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Any plans on updating Kodi to 17.4??? If not, is there a way i can update Kodi myself on my XU4???
kilnsob

Unread postby meveric » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 pm

I'll look into it. I hope it can be easily updated. Last time I tried on the C2 where it did not work properly. I'll try here soon again.
Up to now only 17.3 is available.
meveric

Unread postby kilnsob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:15 pm

meveric wrote:I'll look into it. I hope it can be easily updated. Last time I tried on the C2 where it did not work properly. I'll try here soon again.
Up to now only 17.3 is available.

17.3 would be great if I could get that update. Thanks for the quick response, you're awesome.
kilnsob

Unread postby meveric » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:48 pm

17.3 is already available for several months just open a terminal and type:
Code: Select all
su -
apt-get install -t jessie kodi-next-odroid
meveric

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Unread postby KC7NOA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:34 am

meveric wrote:
Cartridge wrote:I can confirm that it works, I purged my own package out and installed the one you mentioned. That's what I call a Smart Package!
installs, builds, depmods and everything, only thing left required would be for the package to call a reboot on it's own to put the cherry on top xD! Of course I'm kidding, it works great.

It still uses the ra0 name for wlan instead of wlan0... How inconvenient though.

That's good to know, I'll upload the package to my repository. I might check on the ra0 thing later.. maybe it's somewhere in the code and can be changed, but no promises.

did this get done?
im looking but not finding yet.... also im not using Kali
KC7NOA

ODROIDs: Odroid-X2(blown HDMI output)
Odroid-C2 to replace X2

Unread postby meveric » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:01 am

Not sure from what you quoted. The quote itself doesn't give any clues what it's all about.
It's really hard to follow your thought process, especially as it seems to be something that's way in the past.
My guess from reading some other posts of you in the forum is, that you referring to the mt7610u DKMS driver which are part of my repository.
If it's about mt7610u, then yes, that's part of my repository since 2016: viewtopic.php?p=169058#p169058

I also don't use Kali, and I don't know why you mention it, as I have nothing to do with Kali.
meveric

Unread postby KC7NOA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 am

kali was mentioned because it was referenced to get to this thread .....

glad its not required .....

i just got home, and yep -- looking to get the MT7610U wifi working ...
im in-out alot lately since my wife Heather wants a separation .... she is a wonderful woman and its going to pain me greatly to leave/lose her. -- said incase if she ever reads this .... some day.
KC7NOA

ODROIDs: Odroid-X2(blown HDMI output)
Odroid-C2 to replace X2

Previous

Return to Projects