Unread postby dante6913 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:31 am

thanks, great work
I will be waiting for the big news
dante6913

languages_spoken: english, Portuguese
ODROIDs: C2

Re: Multiboot&Universal Installer for Odroid C1, C2 and XU3/

Unread postby luffyman » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 pm

barturblits wrote:Where did you find v2.2? I used the prebuilt image (v2.1) and tried to change some stuff in the init in uInitrd but after repacking I got errors and it is not recognized as multiboot setup.
I looked at the last 3 commits and saw that the init for C2 changed from version v2.3 to v2.1. Maybe v2.2 is older?

I started with a triple boot of android 6, ubuntu (loboris) and libreelec 7.x. After some manual editing of the boot.ini files they all worked. After that I started fresh and installed ubuntu and LE and made the android partitions larger to put volumio and lakka on them. Menu now has a triple boot (LE on oelec, lakka on linux and volumio on linux2) and I can boot into ubuntu through a script ran from one of those three os'. I just put it on github:

https://github.com/barturblits/Odroid_C ... ot_scripts

Hi @barturblits.
I want to set my odroid c2 so it can triple boot lakka, android, libreelec.
managed to install android and LE but im stuck at installing lakka atm.
This is what i did so far:
- tried the .tar for lakka and renamed to linux.tar but multiboot could not detect
- tried the .img for lakka and renamed to linux.img, it detects the .img file this time but still wont install the lakka image.
some error went up about /etc not found.
Should i rename the file to linux2 or use a different image(the image I use was from here: http://www.lakka.tv/get/linux/odroidc2/) or something else that I have no clue at all?

Some guidance in the right direction would be nice.
Thank you.

p/s: Android and LE works fine so far. I can reboot into my OS of choice as many times I want.
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this project. I find it very useful for a newb like me to understand how booting on a C2 works.
luffyman

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby dimitris_c » Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi luffyman,

i'm not sure if this is the correct way but this is what i did and works on my multiboot C2.

You need to first check and edit accordingly the boot.ini of lakka (renamed to boot.ini.linux or boot.ini.linux2) in order to verify the locations and names of KERNEL file, meson file and also the boot and disk partitions. The KERNEL and meson files should be placed inside the multiboot folder of fat partition (mmcblk0p1). I have copied form lakka image and renamed mine to KERNEL.lakka and meson64_odroidc2.dtb.lakka in order to not mess with the others.

The default boot and disk partitions for lakka are the following:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p2
disk=/dev/mmcblk0p5

which means that you should place the lakka image SYSTEM file to mmcblk0p2 and also have available and formatted the mmcblk0p5 partition in order for lakka to use after boot.

If all the above are configured, then the boot linux or linux2 should be available on the boot menu and start successfully.

If you edit the default boot.ini of lakka do not forget to add at the end the restore boot.ini commands for multiboot or else you will not be able to choose again.
dimitris_c

Unread postby shepo » Thu May 18, 2017 5:35 am

has anyone just dual booted lakka and libreELEC
shepo

ODROIDs: Odroid-XU4, Odroid-C2

Unread postby tebor8 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:36 pm

shepo wrote:has anyone just dual booted lakka and libreELEC

I'm interested in this setup as well.
tebor8

ODROIDs: c2

Unread postby Sempftopf » Fri May 26, 2017 3:22 am

I agree!

LibreELEC & LAKKA would be the perfect combination.

LibreELEC,LAKKA & LINUX would be the ultimate configuration on my side, but i use my OC2 as an player for my TV, so Linux is not that important..

But LibreELEC & LAKKA would be the perfect Mediasystem for an older TV & even would blow most of the newer smart TVs out of the water.
Sempftopf

Unread postby luffyman » Wed May 31, 2017 10:25 am

dimitris_c wrote:Hi luffyman,

i'm not sure if this is the correct way but this is what i did and works on my multiboot C2.

You need to first check and edit accordingly the boot.ini of lakka (renamed to boot.ini.linux or boot.ini.linux2) in order to verify the locations and names of KERNEL file, meson file and also the boot and disk partitions. The KERNEL and meson files should be placed inside the multiboot folder of fat partition (mmcblk0p1). I have copied form lakka image and renamed mine to KERNEL.lakka and meson64_odroidc2.dtb.lakka in order to not mess with the others.

The default boot and disk partitions for lakka are the following:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p2
disk=/dev/mmcblk0p5

which means that you should place the lakka image SYSTEM file to mmcblk0p2 and also have available and formatted the mmcblk0p5 partition in order for lakka to use after boot.

If all the above are configured, then the boot linux or linux2 should be available on the boot menu and start successfully.

If you edit the default boot.ini of lakka do not forget to add at the end the restore boot.ini commands for multiboot or else you will not be able to choose again.

Hi @dimitris_c. Thanks for your help. My C2 now has triple boot(meveric's Debian Jessie as linux, libereELEC as oelec, and Lakka as linux2).

shepo wrote:has anyone just dual booted lakka and libreELEC

Hi @shepo. not sure if we can dual boot just lakka and libereELEC because i always include at least one linux image everytime i start the setting up my sdcard from scratch. btw im only using a 32gb sdcard for my triple boot setup so there might be some difference in the partition names if you are using an emmc card.

this is where I downloaded the image files, hopefully it will be useful to anyone who would like to use the same setup:
http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Jes ... -C2.img.xz
http://libreelec.mirrors.uk2.net/releas ... -8.0.2.tar
http://le.builds.lakka.tv/Odroid_C2.arm ... 2.0.img.gz

this is what I did step by step:
1) Flashed my sdcard with the multiboot image by loboris
2) copied Debian Jessie and libreELEC images on my external hd(ext4 format) and renamed them to linux.img and oelec.tar (extract the Debian Jessie.img.xz to .img before using it)
3) Booted into multiboot installer and resized partitions (also resized the system(boot=/dev/mmcblk0p2) and data(disk=/dev/mmcblk0p5) partition for lakka for later) and installed linux and libreelec(lakka will be installed manually lateer)
4) Booted into Debian Jessie to do updates and upgrades, shutdown C2 and took the sdcard out
5) delete /multiboot/boot.ini.oelec and copy paste boot.ini from libreELEC image to multiboot/ and rename to boot.ini.oelec. Also renamed multiboot/KERNEL to KERNEL.oelec
(edited this line)
setenv bootrootfs "boot=LABEL=sduserdata disk=LABEL=sdoelec"
setenv kernel "fatload mmc 0:1 0x11000000 multiboot/KERNEL.olec"
setenv dtb "fatload mmc 0:1 0x1000000 multiboot/meson64_odroidc2.dtb.oelec"
(added these lines)
# =================================================
# = RESTORE boot.ini FOR MULTIBOOT, DO NOT CHANGE =
fatload mmc 0:1 0x60000000 multiboot/boot.ini.multi
fatwrite mmc 0:1 0x60000000 boot.ini ${filesize}

6) extracted and mounted(rightclick & open with Disk Image Mounter) the lakka image on my laptop.
7) Copy & pasted boot.ini, KERNEL, and meson64_odroidc2.dtb from LAKKA folder to sduserdata/multiboot folder. Renamed files to boot.ini.linux2, KERNEL.lakka, meson64_odroidc2.dtb.lakka.
8) Copy & pasted SYSTEM file from LAKKA folder to system partition that I resized on during step 3. (This is an important step for lakka as you do not want the SYSTEM file to be in the same partition as libreELEC's SYSTEM file inside the sduserdata partition)
9) edited /multiboot/boot.ini.linux2
(edited these lines)
setenv bootrootfs "boot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p5"
setenv kernel "fatload mmc 0:1 0x11000000 multiboot/KERNEL.lakka"
setenv dtb "fatload mmc 0:1 0x1000000 multiboot/meson64_odroidc2.dtb.lakka"
(added these lines)
10) My sdcard is ready to boot into Debian Jessie, libreELEC, or lakka now

maybe if you only want to use lakka and libreELEC, you can rename the boot.ini.linux to boot.ini.linux.hide(just an example) so it will not show an option to boot into linux when you start your odroid.
I can access moonlight-embedded from meveric's repo, lakka for retrogaming and also the latest kodi on libreELEC when i need a break from games with this setup.
Hope this help :)
Last edited by luffyman on Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
luffyman

Unread postby Sempftopf » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:58 am

Thanks a lot for this packed guide luffyman!

I hope ill have some sparetime next week, then i will give it a try.

Great work, thank you.
Sempftopf

Unread postby luffyman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 am

Sempftopf wrote:Thanks a lot for this packed guide luffyman!

I hope ill have some sparetime next week, then i will give it a try.

Great work, thank you.

you're welcome @Sempftopf :)

All possible thanks to @loboris awesome solution and also @dimitris_c and @barturblits for pointing me to the right direction.
luffyman

Unread postby alexxgg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:32 am

Hi @luffyman,

I tried to accomplish that triple boot image on a C2 last weekend but I couldn't do it so I just have a couple of questions:

- On the step 3 you say that you've resized some partitions including the system (boot) one and the data too. I would like to know how you do that because from my end if I resize any partition (with GParted) on the multiboot image, this will not boot. Then in the step 8 you say that, to make this work, the SYSTEM file from Lakka must be placed on the data partition and as you warned the sduserdata have already a SYSTEM file from LibreELEC so back to step 3, I assume that you create a new partition called "data" instead of resize it because if you tried to copy two SYSTEM files on the same place, well, one will overwrite the other.

Other than that, I just accomplish to boot the Debian OS.

If I misunderstood one of your steps, just let me know.
alexxgg

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid C2

Unread postby luffyman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:38 pm

alexxgg wrote:Hi @luffyman,

I tried to accomplish that triple boot image on a C2 last weekend but I couldn't do it so I just have a couple of questions:

- On the step 3 you say that you've resized some partitions including the system (boot) one and the data too. I would like to know how you do that because from my end if I resize any partition (with GParted) on the multiboot image, this will not boot. Then in the step 8 you say that, to make this work, the SYSTEM file from Lakka must be placed on the data partition and as you warned the sduserdata have already a SYSTEM file from LibreELEC so back to step 3, I assume that you create a new partition called "data" instead of resize it because if you tried to copy two SYSTEM files on the same place, well, one will overwrite the other.

Other than that, I just accomplish to boot the Debian OS.

If I misunderstood one of your steps, just let me know.

Hi @alexgg. Sorry about the confusing instructions and also missed some step haha. Here goes:

On step 3, what I meant was to boot into multiboot installer after flashing the image from loboris, and then resize partitions while you are in the multiboot image not in linux. Also I did not use GParted to resize these partitions. After you choose which image you want to install, there should be an option to resize the partitions. System partition is the option no 3 and data partition is option no 4. I did not create any partitions as @loboris has already prepared the partition table(not sure if this is the correct term) for us users to help ease the setup process. Users are only required to set the size of the partitions. If you did not make any changes, those unused partitions will still be there but is very small in size(8MB only).

*this is what I missed in my step-by-step instruction*
After multiboot installer finishes installing linux and libreELEC, I took the sdcard out from my C2 and format the system(/dev/sdc2) partition and data(/dev/sdc5) partition to ext4 using GParted(partitions will remain as unknown if you did not format them). Also took this chance to rename the partitions to system and sdlakka. Now the sdcard is ready for step 8.

This is the partition's size in my sdcard that I am using right now.
- sduserdata is where all the boot related files are stored.
- system is where we place the lakka SYSTEM file(only reason we make this is to separate libreELEC SYSTEM file and the lakka SYSTEM file like I mentioned before).
- sdlakka, sdoelec and sdlinux is where the system files and config is stored(Initially these partitions are empty, the folders will appear after first boot of each image).
For now I am using the sdlinux as my main partition for storage, that is why it has the largest size.

Hopefully this answers your question and will help you achieve the setup you wanted. I will try and help where I can in this forum.

p/s: Not the best setup out there i guess but it works. Advise on a better partition size setup will be helpful. Am still learning :)
luffyman

Unread postby alexxgg » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:43 am

Hi everyone,

I've generated a multiboot OS image with:

* Android 5.1.1
    * Debian Jessie minimal (Linux in the boot menu)
    * LibreELEC 8.0.2 (OpenELEC in the boot menu)
    * Lakka v2 (Linux#2 in the boot menu)
This OS image can be flashed on 8GB cards and up. Download link: http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/odroid-c2/

Note: Linux (Debian) will not boot on eMMC modules, I'll fix this soon.

Thanks so much to: @loboris, @odroid, @dimitris_c, @barturblits and @luffyman for making this possible. If anyone find issues on this image, just let me know.
Last edited by alexxgg on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexxgg

Unread postby radudorurus » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:39 pm

hi alexxgg

It is my first post.
I got a C2 2 weeks ago and I started playing with it.
Can you please build a multiboot image just with the two latest official OSes from Odroid?
I mean:
Android - for the great source of apps
Linux mate - for a fully functional office/mediaplayer/development/automation computer

Triple boot with Android/Ubuntu_mate/LibreElec can also be a good combination since Libre is quite small.
Maybe this is a better combination.

The idea is to have at least a full Ubuntu installation and Android also.

Thanks.
radudorurus

languages_spoken: english, romanian

Unread postby luffyman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 am

radudorurus wrote:Can you please build a multiboot image just with the two latest official OSes from Odroid?

hi @radudorurus. if you click on @alexgg's link under his posts, you can find the dualboot image you are looking for.
Good job btw @alexgg.
luffyman

Unread postby radudorurus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 am

Sorry @luffyman, but the images are built with minimal linux sets.

I downloaded them but did not tried yet.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
radudorurus

Unread postby alexxgg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 am

Hi everyone,

Yes @radudorurus, I have plans to make others multiboot images with Ubuntu MATE and Android latest versions.

In the meantime, I'm looking a way to generate these multiboot images from a remote server (VPS), in this way I don't have to upload these images and that's because my upload speed is really low (80Kb/s) that's why these images are based on 8GB SD cards, so to accomplish that, I'm just thinking in two options, the first option is modify @loboris's script to generate these images from a remote server (VPS) and the second option is copy the partition schema from the SD card or the eMMC module to an image file on the remote server.

Both options will take time but when I successfully do that, I'll be able to do as many multiboot images as users request.
alexxgg

Unread postby shepo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 pm

alexxgg wrote:Hi everyone,

I've generated a multiboot OS image with:

* Android 5.1.1
    * Debian Jessie minimal (Linux in the boot menu)
    * LibreELEC 8.0.2 (OpenELEC in the boot menu)
    * Lakka v2 (Linux#2 in the boot menu)
This OS image can be flashed on 8GB cards and up. Download link: http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/odroid-c2/

Note: Linux (Debian) will not boot on eMMC modules, I'll fix this soon.

Thanks so much to: @loboris, @odroid, @dimitris_c, @barturblits and @luffyman for making this possible. If anyone find issues on this image, just let me know.

Just tried you image on my C2 and works fine what I have played with, just one question can you tell me where the rom folder is on the sd card on lakka, as i put the sd card n my laptop and cannot fine the roms folder, I can see the other folders, thanks for any help you can give.

My bad just found the folder, it under sddata, will have to have a play.

Keep up the good work
shepo

ODROIDs: Odroid-XU4, Odroid-C2

Unread postby stef84 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:00 pm

HI everybody.

It's possible to modding a boot menu?

i want create a dual boot sd or eMMC with Openelec and Ubuntu 16.04 MInimal.

I want to boot automatically with openelec, without selection of the SO.

At opened Openelec, i want to create a simple clicked shortcut in menu, for reboot in Ubuntu SO.

Is it possible? For raspberry, i've download an image ( like this ) with this tips and for my use is very good.

Thanks
stef84

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby tebor8 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:41 am

I am curious on how I can use this multiboot setup with just my TV remote. Before I had LibreELEC and the CEC capabilities of the remote let me control everything. I want to be able to chose which OS I want to boot with the remote ideally. Is that possible or do I need to use an IR receiver or USB gamepad or Bluetooth? The drivers aren't loaded at that point though right?

What's everyone's setup for this?
tebor8

Unread postby radudorurus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:58 pm

I do not think it is possible the way you want.
There is no driver on boot menu, except de keyboard one.

So... if you have a wireless keyboard, take it and use it.
Other metod is an airplay remote which is a mouse/keyboard pair with usb dongle.

radudorurus

Unread postby alexxgg » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:39 am

Hi everyone,

I've generated a multiboot image with the following OS's pre-installed:

* Android 6.0.1 [2017-06-27]
    * Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 LTS [2017-02-28] (Linux in the boot menu)
    * LibreELEC 8.0.2 [2017.05.26] (OpenELEC in the boot menu)
    * Lakka v2 [2017.04.24] (Linux#2 in the boot menu)
This multiboot image can be flashed on 16GB cards/modules and up. Download link: http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/odroid-c2/

Note: this multiboot image will work on MicroSD cards and eMMC modules. I recommend eMMC modules.

Many thanks to: @loboris, @odroid, @dimitris_c, @barturblits and @luffyman for making this possible. If anyone find issues on this image, just let me know.
alexxgg

Unread postby tebor8 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:06 am

alexxgg wrote:Hi everyone,

I've generated a multiboot image with the following OS's pre-installed:

* Android 6.0.1 [2017-06-27]
    * Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 LTS [2017-02-28] (Linux in the boot menu)
    * LibreELEC 8.0.2 [2017.05.26] (OpenELEC in the boot menu)
    * Lakka v2 [2017.04.24] (Linux#2 in the boot menu)
This multiboot image can be flashed on 16GB cards/modules and up. Download link: http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/odroid-c2/

Note: this multiboot image will work on MicroSD cards and eMMC modules. I recommend eMMC modules.

Many thanks to: @loboris, @odroid, @dimitris_c, @barturblits and @luffyman for making this possible. If anyone find issues on this image, just let me know.

I haven't loaded the image yet, but I am looking to change the counter to something like 3 seconds and have it default to LibreELEC. How can I do that? I am a super Noob and I am having trouble finding/accessing/editing the boot.ini file.
tebor8

Unread postby alexxgg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:07 am

tebor8 wrote: I haven't loaded the image yet, but I am looking to change the counter to something like 3 seconds and have it default to LibreELEC. How can I do that? I am a super Noob and I am having trouble finding/accessing/editing the boot.ini file.

Hi @tebor8, you can change that by editing: boot.ini.multi file on the first partition (emuserdata) > multiboot directory. You will see something like this:

https://github.com/loboris/Odroid_Multi ... .ini.multi

Boot Delay
Change: setenv BOOT_DELAY "60" to setenv BOOT_DELAY "03" in that way, the default OS will boot in 3 seconds.

Default OS
Change: setenv DEFAULT_OS "1" to setenv DEFAULT_OS "3" to boot directly on LibreELEC.

That's it.
alexxgg

Unread postby radudorurus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:34 am

Thanks alexxgg.
I will try the multiboot image these days.

radudorurus

Unread postby radudorurus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi.
I do not know if the following issue is this "multiboot" build related but I cannot update Android.
I try to install Gapps package without success.

The Odroid tool seems to launch the install but after restart therevis no change.
I tried to use Update Android from boot menu but the U option is not considered (press the U key without effect).

Odroid official Gapps.apk installs but the launch ends like already described.

Any ideas?

radudorurus

Unread postby slo_down » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi,
i see that the daily Android Installers __daily__.tar.gz are no more downloadable.
How can i use the selfinstall Android Installers with Multiboot.
Thank you.
slo_down

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:52 pm

Oops! We will upload the latest daily image early next week again.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby slo_down » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:47 am

Great support :) Love it. Waiting for the daily images.
By the way great job @loboris.
Your Multiboot Installer is working flawless :D
I'm using Android, LibreElec, Ubuntu and Lakka.
slo_down

Unread postby tebor8 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:10 am

alexxgg wrote:
tebor8 wrote: I haven't loaded the image yet, but I am looking to change the counter to something like 3 seconds and have it default to LibreELEC. How can I do that? I am a super Noob and I am having trouble finding/accessing/editing the boot.ini file.

Hi @tebor8, you can change that by editing: boot.ini.multi file on the first partition (emuserdata) > multiboot directory. You will see something like this:

https://github.com/loboris/Odroid_Multi ... .ini.multi

Boot Delay
Change: setenv DEFAULT_OS in that way, the default OS will boot in 3 seconds.

Default OS
Change: [b]setenv DEFAULT_OS "1"
to setenv DEFAULT_OS "3" to boot directly on LibreELEC.

That's it.

@alexxgg

I tried changing the above and the boot delay works, but no matter what I change DEFAULT_OS to, it always results in "1".
So, DEFAULT_OS "3" still shows 1. I'll change the boot delay to a new number each time I change the DEFAULT_OS and the boot delay always works with the new number. Has anyone else run into this?
tebor8

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:05 am

@slo_down
The latest one has been uploaded.
http://dn.odroid.com/S905/Android/ODROI ... 3.3.tar.gz
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby slo_down » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:52 pm

@odroid: Awesome.
Would be nice if you could upload future updates also as daily__.tar.gz.
Have a nice start in the new week.
slo_down

Unread postby slo_down » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi Tebor8,
i got the same problem but i believe i know how to manage this.

Look at a previous post from @barturblits.
He gave us a really good hint.
I got successfully re-compiled the uInitrd.multi file.
I will try this at home after work and let you know the steps.

Hey sorry it was not working for me.
After i copied that modified uInitrd.multi file the Bootmenu crashed.
I tried also to Re-Install everything with that modified file, but same thing here.

May somebody else can help us.
Thank you.
slo_down

Unread postby Pi-Druid » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:27 am

Hi everybody,

Let me begin by thank you for your solutions (especially loboris for the universal installer and luffyman for his summary and all tries).

Since some days (thank's to the vacations \o/ ), I try to create a mediacenter with my new Odroid C2 (to replace my RPi3) with more features.

Here is what I want to make :
Multiboot system with Linux (jessie), Kodi (libreElec) and Batocera (Recalbox)

I don't know why but I have many difficulties with Batocera installation.
I make this detailled reply in order to explain the situation and find out a solution (I will update this when success)

Some problem with this installation (unstable and some risk when updates come), I prefer to return to the luffyman's solution : jessie/kodi/lakka

Questions are at the end of my post.

Context

My sources :

- Universal Installer :
:arrow: https://github.com/loboris/Odroid_Multiboot
Be careful, it's different than Odroid-installer. This mistake can cost some hours...

- Debian Jessie 64bits for Odroid C2 :
:arrow: https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Jessie/
Last stable release : Debian-Jessie64-1.1-20170527-C2.img.xz

- LibreELEC 64bits (KODI) for Odroid C2 :
:arrow: http://libreelec.mirrors.uk2.net/releases/
Last stable release : LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.0.2.tar
I tried before with .img.gz but I didn't find how to make a good transformation to .tar

- Batocera for Odroid C2 :
:arrow: https://batocera-linux.xorhub.com/upgra ... able/last/
Last stable release : batocera-20170629.img.gz
a fork of RecalBox. I prefer RecalBox after trying Recalbox, Lakka and Retropie, appropriate balance between great GUI End User (no accidentally configuration changes), Scraper (with little script) and power. Lakka will be my second choice if I can't use Batocera.

My future mediacenter :

- Odroid C2 with microSD 32Go
- NAS only for storage of ROMs and Movies
- RJ45 Network managed and protected by router (IP of Odroid C2 is allowed by MAC Adress from the router)

My tools :

- PC Win7 with MicroSD Writer (Win32DiskImager or, more easier to use : Etcher :arrow: https://etcher.io/ )
- VM Ubuntu more easy to manager the microSD (any use of dd "Destroyer of Disks" but many access with terminal)
- empty USB Key just for installation of OS
- my brain :P

Let's Go

this is what I did step by step, by inspiring me from luffyman's way:

1) [VM] Build of Universal Installer
- Download source from github (https://github.com/loboris/Odroid_Multiboot) in a new local directory on my VM
- We can modify script if we need before the build (more option ? change backup/restore ? or hide admin option ? maybe I will study this later, no change yet...)
- Build the image : sudo ./prepare_selfinst <destination_card>|<destination_image_name> c2|xu4
in my case : sudo ./prepare_selfinst /media/Partage_VM/multiboot-C2-install.img c2
(because Partage_VM is a shared space between my Win7 and my VM)

2) [VM/PC] Write the image into the microSD
With Etcher in my case, but it's possible with dd under linux (VM) as explained by loboris at the begining of this topic :
:arrow: sudo dd if=multiinstaller_C1|C2|XU.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1MB oflag=direct
- if = input file : our image file
- of = output file (or disk/partition) : you can use "sudo fdisk -l" to find what is the device name
don't forget that the nickname of dd is Destroyer of Disks, be careful, it's very easy to erease our data/os ^^

3) [VM] Prepare the USB key
- Debian
Extract Debian-Jessie64-1.1-20170527-C2.img.xz to Debian-Jessie64-1.1-20170527-C2.img
rename to linux.img and copy/paste to the root of the USB key

- LibreELEC (Kodi)
rename LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.0.2.tar to oelec.tar and copy/paste to the root of the USB key

- Batocera
nothing yet

We have only 2 files : linux.img and oelec.tar on our USB Key

4) [Odroid] First run
- Plug USB Key on the Odroid
- Plug microSD (or eMMC if you are lucky) on the Odroid
- ... and all other device you need (keyboard/mouse, HDMI...)
- ... and the power of course
- When the menu is displayed, choose "install OS"

I realized the following configuration :
userdata : 1024M
system : 384M
data : 2048M
cache : 8M
OpenElec : 2048M
linux : 24088M
Install multiboot : yes

system can be used Batocera to put the system
data will contain all Batocera data (roms ...)

The installation is in progress (We can take some coffee... a lot of coffee :p )

5) [Odroid] First run of linux
- At the end of the installation, unplug the USB key, reboot and choose Linux
- login/pass : root/odroid
- we can make all updates :
Code: Select all
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

- we can run setup-odroid if we want more features (as like as a desktop)
- maybe a reboot to check our linux... and our linux' installation is done
- and we shutdown the Odroid :
shutdown now

6) [VM] Setting of KODI
- Take the microSD and plug in the VM
- format sdb2 (system : 384 Mo) and sdb5 (recalbox : 2048 Mo) in ext4
- Find out the boot.ini into oelec.tar (LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-8.0.2/3rdparty/bootloader/)
- copy, rename to boot.ini.oelec and paste to the microSD at sduserdata/multiboot/
- edit our new boot.ini.oelec on the microSD
nano /media/vmuser/sduserdata

change the lines as following
setenv bootrootfs "boot=LABEL=sduserdata disk=LABEL=sdoelec"
setenv kernel "fatload mmc 0:1 0x11000000 multiboot/KERNEL"
setenv dtb "fatload mmc 0:1 0x1000000 multiboot/meson64_odroidc2.dtb.oelec"

Add these lines too (above)

And for the convenience, add this line at the begining :
#DESCRIPTION KODI

- save and exit (Ctrl+X and Ctrl+Y)

7) [Odroid] First run of Kodi (LibreELEC)
- plug the microSD in the Odroid ;)
- start and choose KODI
- our Kodi's installation is done

8) [VM] Manual installation of Batocera (recalbox)
- We need to rename the partions to RECALBOX and SHARE (recalbox/batocera need it)
sudo e2label /dev/sdb2 RECALBOX
sudo e2label /dev/sdb5 SHARE

- take the batocera-20170629.img.gz and unzip
- mount the batocera-20170629.img
sudo mkdir ~/batoceraImg/
sudo mount -o loop -t auto /media/Partage_VM/batocera-20170629.img ~/batoceraImg/

- We push all files from the image to the RECALBOX partition
sudo rsync -r -t -p -o -g -x -l -H -D --numeric-ids -s --stats ~/batoceraImg/ /media/vmuser/RECALBOX/

- take the boot.ini, rename to boot.ini.linux2 and push to the sduserdata/multiboot/
- create directory in sduserdata/multiboot
sudo mkdir /media/vmuser/sduserdata/multiboot/recalbox/

- copy linux, meson64_odroidc2.dtb and uInitrd from ~/batoceraImg/boot/ to this new directory

- edit our new boot.ini.linux2 on the microSD
nano /media/vmuser/sduserdata

change the lines as following
setenv kernel "fatload mmc 0:1 0x11000000 multiboot/recalbox/image"
setenv uinitrd "fatload mmc 0:1 0x13000000 multiboot/recalbox/uInitrd"
setenv dtb "fatload mmc 0:1 0x1000000 multiboot/recalbox/meson64_odroidc2.dtb"

and this line (to start on the good partition :arrow: RECALBOX)
setenv bootargs "console=tty2 dev=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait

Add these lines too (above)

And for the convenience, add this line at the begining :
#DESCRIPTION Recalbox

- Reboot

- Try and enjoy !

for information, my partitions :

sdb                                                  29G
├─sdb1    vfat   /media/ben/sduserdata sduserdata     1G
├─sdb2    ext4   /media/ben/system     RECALBOX     384M
├─sdb3                                                8M
└─sdb4
   ├─sdb5 ext4   /media/ben/recalbox   SHARE          2G
   ├─sdb6 ext4   /media/ben/sdoelec    sdoelec        2G
   └─sdb7 ext4   /media/ben/sdlinux1   sdlinux     23,5G

Questions

:arrow: Why we keep image's file for LibreELEC instead of extract it in a partition ?
The performance will be better with extracted image, isn't it ?

:arrow: I wish add some features in the menu to update kodi/batocera or customize backup/restore. Where is the input point in the script to add it ? and where can I store my scripts ? If I can hide some option too (with a password or just hide), it would be great (child's protect :p)

All other explanation will be welcome

Thank's,

I'm French... sorry for my knowledge of English...
I wrote this post in several times because many difficulties... Maybe some wrong information remain, please ask if you see a problem
Last edited by Pi-Druid on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
Pi-Druid

languages_spoken: english, french(native)

Unread postby phekda » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:25 am

Is it possible or can it be made possible to install the different OS-es to HDD instead of SD or EMMC? The full OS-es installed on hardisk i mean, not only the installation sources.

I also would like to know how to multiboot Batocera (recalbox)... Can somenone please look into this?

Thanks,
phekda

languages_spoken: english, french, dutch, german
ODROIDs: XU-4

Unread postby radudorurus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:08 am

I use the 16G image quad boot from alexx.

All operating systems runs ok.
Issues:
- Cannot update Android. Does this setup (quad boot) have any recovery mode?
- I am not able to install gapps since the self installer does something and restarts Android without any change.
- Also, Odroid Utility not usable since always report corrupt package.
- I tried the upgrade Android from mutiboot menu but I don't know what this option does (sometime it finds some drive but searches for some img files, other times says no install disk found.
- I am not able to expand on the fly the last partition to take the remaining 16G from my 32Gb card.

I need some help please.
radudorurus

Unread postby slo_down » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:27 am

@all - Default OS

I got it running :) You have to think not to complicated :D

This is what you need to do:
- edit the multiboot/boot.ini.multi file
- l.12 change to setenv DEFAULT_BOOT "X" (X is your OS)
- l.151 change to setenv ... default_boot=${DEFAULT_BOOT} ...

In short you have to rename "DEFAULT_OS" to "DEFAULT_BOOT" and "default_os" to "default_boot" in boot.ini.multi.

Et Voila you got it working ;p
slo_down

Unread postby tebor8 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:50 pm

slo_down wrote:@all - Default OS

I got it running :) You have to think not to complicated :D

This is what you need to do:
- edit the multiboot/boot.ini.multi file
- l.12 change to setenv DEFAULT_BOOT "X" (X is your OS)
- l.151 change to setenv ... default_boot=${DEFAULT_BOOT} ...

In short you have to rename "DEFAULT_OS" to "DEFAULT_BOOT" and "default_os" to "default_boot" in boot.ini.multi.

Et Voila you got it working ;p

That did it! Finally! The setup of my dreams! Thanks so much!
tebor8

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Somebody should sed a push request to @loboris
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby tebor8 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:37 am

My HDMI-CEC stopped working once I installed the multi-boot. I can no longer turn my Odroid C2 on using my remote. It works fine after it's manually powered on (for going through menus and such). Anyone else experience this?
tebor8

Unread postby alexxgg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:29 am

Hi everyone,

My future mediacenter :

- Odroid C2 with microSD 32Go
- NAS only for storage of ROMs and Movies
- RJ45 Network managed and protected by router (IP of Odroid C2 is allowed by MAC Adress from the router)

@Pi-Druid, nice project I'll be testing Batocera Linux this weekend.

Issues:
- Cannot update Android. Does this setup (quad boot) have any recovery mode?
- I am not able to install gapps since the self installer does something and restarts Android without any change.
- Also, Odroid Utility not usable since always report corrupt package.
- I tried the upgrade Android from mutiboot menu but I don't know what this option does (sometime it finds some drive but searches for some img files, other times says no install disk found.
- I am not able to expand on the fly the last partition to take the remaining 16G from my 32Gb card.

@radudorurus, you can update Android from the multiboot menu, just download the latest build and copy it on a USB drive with EXT4 format, will not work with FAT32 format. Insert the USB drive into the Odroid before turn it on. About Gapps, yes, it doesn't work even on a single Android installation, you can use http://apk-dl.com to download Apps directly in Android's browser, it will install it right after the download complete. About the HardKenel's utility, read more here: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=16369#p107599 (Check HINTS, problems, bugs section). About resizing partitions, I don't think that could be possible, if you have a bigger SD or eMMC, you must build the multiboot image again from your end.

@slo_down, thanks for share the fix, I'll update my custom OS image as soon as possible.
alexxgg

Unread postby slo_down » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:11 am

odroid wrote:@slo_down
The latest one has been uploaded.
http://dn.odroid.com/S905/Android/ODROI ... 3.3.tar.gz

Hey odroid,
can you also please upload the latest 5.1.1 Android Installer in the same format __daily__.tar.gz
I need it because i want to use the Play Store. Or does somebody got Play Store running on 6.0.1?
Thank you in advance.
slo_down

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 am

odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby slo_down » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:05 am

odroid wrote:Google play works on C2 Android 6.x
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/getti ... googleplay

Thank you for your quick reply.
This method does not work with this Multiboot Installer :(
Any other methods? Maybe you can upload Android 5.x daily__.tar.gz
Best regards
slo_down

Unread postby codewalker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:16 am

https://dn.odroid.com/S905/Android/ODRO ... 309.tar.gz

slo_down wrote:
odroid wrote:Google play works on C2 Android 6.x
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-c2/getti ... googleplay

Thank you for your quick reply.
This method does not work with this Multiboot Installer :(
Any other methods? Maybe you can upload Android 5.x daily__.tar.gz
Best regards
codewalker

ODROIDs: all

Unread postby slo_down » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Thank you codewalker.
slo_down

Unread postby Dox » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:44 am

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the Linux world and got my C2 recently.
I've managed to get the multi boot loader up and running after hours and reading up the fantastic guides and info posted.

However, I would like to check if it is possible to load kali and another OS such as Ubuntu or Linux mint?
Dox

Unread postby kurian » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:29 pm

Hello everyone
I'm testing the multiboot developed by loboris on a Odroid C1 +, rename the daily-odroidc-eng-s805_4.4.4_master-455-v3.7.tar.gz file by update.tar.gz, when installing on Android I get the error "ERROR extracting archive" (attached image.), For linux if it recognizes the file linux.img (I use odrobian) and it installs, but not Android.
Could you help me?
1) to what is said error?
2) They will have a route to download the version of android 5.1.1 for the Odroid C1 +

Thank you very much
Attachments
error_C1007.JPG
error install android
error_C1007.JPG (70.12 KiB) Viewed 436 times
kurian

ODROIDs: project

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 am

Odrobian is very old and unsupported. You should use @meveric's debian image instead
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby kurian » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi, I have tried with the image of linux that you recommend @meveric and it recognizes, but still the problem persists with ANDROID,
Thanks to @loboris's suggestions I have again downloaded ANDROID daily-odroidc-eng-s805_4.4.4_master-455-v3.7.tar.gz and compare the integrity of the download using the WINMD5 program, use the daily file -odroidc-eng-s805_4.4.4_master-455-v3.7.tar.gz.md5 (I indicated that it was ok), but I still keep the problem, I do not install ANDROID, I used multilector SD, USB, USB modem with MicroSD reader, but still unable to install it.
Could you help me?
Attachments
error4.jpg
error4.jpg (359.68 KiB) Viewed 339 times
error3.jpg
error3.jpg (358.11 KiB) Viewed 339 times
error2.jpg
error2.jpg (346.94 KiB) Viewed 339 times
error1.jpg
error1.jpg (481.33 KiB) Viewed 339 times
kurian

ODROIDs: project

Unread postby oldchap » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:35 pm

I have the same problem as davidwkerr just wont boot.
He has not been back to say if he got multiboot working so I dont have a fix for it. Zeroed the SD card three times with 'SD memory card formatter' before writing with etcher, but that didnt help.

I get the green icons at the top, followed by "searching for btrs file system" then followed by a message in red: "Cannot mount Boot Card- press R to reboot" and there is a 1minute timeout.

I would like to multiboot Fatdog Arm here is release beta4 with odroid kernel in kernel packages

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/arm/releases/beta4/

and Quirky Linux 8.1 here is release notes with all links.

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00441

Quirky is for raspberry pi, can it be ported to odroid with multiboot kernel?
Could you please make prepare images of them for myself to multiboot thanks.
Android4.4.4 is the only OS I have been able to boot so fare.
I just see that 'kurian' has the same problem, error 3.jpg
'no multiboot card detected'
oldchap

PreviousNext

Return to Projects