ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Unread postby skull » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 am

Does anybody have problems with cec?
Before recent updates it was working OK, I could manage odroid with TV remote control, but now TV don't list odroid on TV sources.
Does anything have changed?

Many thanks

Enviat des del meu MI 5 usant Tapatalk
skull

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, U3 & XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:43 am

probably changes in the Kernel.. This seems to happen since Kernel 3.10.105... not sure why.. maybe HardKernel (odroid/mdrjr) can answer what was changed.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby skull » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 pm

But is there anything that I can do to fix it?
I want to use my TV remote control again

thanks
skull

Unread postby odroid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

HDMI CEC works well on Ubuntu Kernel 3.10.105-138.

1. Check the cecenable option in /media/boot/boot.ini
Code: Select all
# --- HDMI CEC Configuration ---
# ------------------------------------------
setenv cecenable "true" # false or true

2. Check dmesg output
Code: Select all
odroid@odroid:~$ dmesg | grep cec
[    4.045909] [c7] s5p-tvout-cec 101b0000.cec: success request GPIO for hdmi-cec
[    4.052265] s5p-tvout-cec 101b0000.cec: probe successful
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby skull » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:29 pm

many thanks @odroid!

cecenable var was set to false in /boot/boot.ini
skull

Unread postby Flipsy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:39 am

I have some questions, help please.

-Do you have the problem in Kodi that after a while the sound of the movies will late and a scratch sound is in the background? Why, how can I solve the problem?

-If I quit from the games in kodi to watch a movie, how can I get back to my game list, without to restart kodi?

-I have deleted all games, but can npt remove them from the kodi list. I press "c" then delete rom list it removes, but after a restart all games are in the list, even if the files dont exist anymore.

-where should I copy dreamcast games? II can not find the folder for them. How to apear them in kodi?

-Can someone help me with symlink. I want to have all my games on my external harddrive

-Can someone somehow share his/her ROMS folder? ;) when I download packs there are several games doubled in nes, snes, atari etc.... All manufaturers done the same games.
Flipsy

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:06 am

Flipsy wrote:-Do you have the problem in Kodi that after a while the sound of the movies will late and a scratch sound is in the background? Why, how can I solve the problem?

Nope I never had that and heard of it the first time. There are certainly other issues with kodi, but that's a new.

Flipsy wrote:-If I quit from the games in kodi to watch a movie, how can I get back to my game list, without to restart kodi?

The games is a program called "Rom Collection Browser" if you go to Programs from the start menu you can start the games from there again.
I use a different skin and put GAMES on the start menu next to video and such :)
Flipsy wrote:-where should I copy dreamcast games? II can not find the folder for them. How to apear them in kodi?

/home/odroid/ROMS/SEGA/Dreamcast/ is the folder if it's not there, then maybe is not correct on the update process. Can you check if it's there?
Files should end on .cdi that way they should be found in Rom Collection Browser.
Flipsy wrote:-Can someone help me with symlink. I want to have all my games on my external harddrive

There is a FAQ in the first post that describes how to do this.
Flipsy wrote:when I download packs there are several games doubled in nes, snes, atari etc.... All manufaturers done the same games.

Often there are slightly different versions or "hacks" that change parts of the games.. or the game was just copied by different persons/groups, sometimes there are 10 or more versions of the same game.
I wouldn't use entire game packs. In my opinion there are a lot of really bad games or games that I'm simply not interested in on different systems.
Just as an example: I went through about 800 Sega Genesis games: https://archive.org/details/SegaMegaDriveGenesisVideos
Out of which I only decided I would play about 80 of em.. that means over 90% of the games are totally uninteresting to me. Having several hundred games on a list like Rom Collection Browser really doesn't make it any easier for you to decide what you want to play.
But with the "fewer" games I actually could put a little bit more effort in it to make it look like this: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vide ... .47.43.m4v
Sadly the sound wasn't captured in this, that's why I removed the audio track completely before I uploaded the video. Just imagine catchy game music and sounds from the Genesis ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby elementalwindx » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Any word on being able to use Kodi Krypton with this? :)
elementalwindx

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 pm

I have a working version of Kodi Krypton and it seems it's still compatible with Rom Collection Browser, but the dependencies for Kodi Krypton are a mess and you would uninstall major parts of MATE due to the requirements of Kodi Krypton.
I have to check if I can find a way to get both working. I have an idea how to do it, but it will take a little time to try.
meveric

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Could this image work with an 128 gbs micro sd card? I found one that I had a good while so I figured that I give it a go
sketch2k278

ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:06 pm

minimum is a 8GB eMMC/SD card so as long as the 128GB SD card is supported by the hardware the image should run fine.
meveric

Unread postby Flipsy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 am

meveric wrote:
Flipsy wrote:-Do you have the problem in Kodi that after a while the sound of the movies will late and a scratch sound is in the background? Why, how can I solve the problem?

Nope I never had that and heard of it the first time. There are certainly other issues with kodi, but that's a new.

Flipsy wrote:-If I quit from the games in kodi to watch a movie, how can I get back to my game list, without to restart kodi?

The games is a program called "Rom Collection Browser" if you go to Programs from the start menu you can start the games from there again.
I use a different skin and put GAMES on the start menu next to video and such :)
Flipsy wrote:-where should I copy dreamcast games? II can not find the folder for them. How to apear them in kodi?

/home/odroid/ROMS/SEGA/Dreamcast/ is the folder if it's not there, then maybe is not correct on the update process. Can you check if it's there?
Files should end on .cdi that way they should be found in Rom Collection Browser.
Flipsy wrote:-Can someone help me with symlink. I want to have all my games on my external harddrive

There is a FAQ in the first post that describes how to do this.
Flipsy wrote:when I download packs there are several games doubled in nes, snes, atari etc.... All manufaturers done the same games.

Often there are slightly different versions or "hacks" that change parts of the games.. or the game was just copied by different persons/groups, sometimes there are 10 or more versions of the same game.
I wouldn't use entire game packs. In my opinion there are a lot of really bad games or games that I'm simply not interested in on different systems.
Just as an example: I went through about 800 Sega Genesis games: https://archive.org/details/SegaMegaDriveGenesisVideos
Out of which I only decided I would play about 80 of em.. that means over 90% of the games are totally uninteresting to me. Having several hundred games on a list like Rom Collection Browser really doesn't make it any easier for you to decide what you want to play.
But with the "fewer" games I actually could put a little bit more effort in it to make it look like this: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vide ... .47.43.m4v
Sadly the sound wasn't captured in this, that's why I removed the audio track completely before I uploaded the video. Just imagine catchy game music and sounds from the Genesis ;)

Thank you Mevrik you really help a lot :)
Any idea how to make my rom collector browser empty. All the games are coming up, even if I deleted them...
Thx in advance
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 am

if you deleted them from the ROMS folder you can use "clean database" as an option in Rom Collection Browser... it will remove all entries for games that can no longer be found.
meveric

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:18 am

meveric wrote:minimum is a 8GB eMMC/SD card so as long as the 128GB SD card is supported by the hardware the image should run fine.

Thanks for the answer, I don't think that sd card is supported because when I try to start it up all I get is the mouse cursor or sometimes nothing at all. So I think I'll just stick with the 64 gb card that im using, however is it possible to to just use the 128 card as a 2nd drive, like strictly for game storage just like a hdd? Would I have to set the sd card up like the little hdd tutorial on the 1st page?
sketch2k278

ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:26 am

sketch2k278 wrote:...however is it possible to to just use the 128 card as a 2nd drive, like strictly for game storage just like a hdd?

That should be possible, but if you already boot from SD card, that's probably hard to do.
sketch2k278 wrote:Would I have to set the sd card up like the little hdd tutorial on the 1st page?

Yep, the process is always the same :)
I prefer using a HDD or Network storage (SAMBA) though, since you can use it on different systems at the same time. My games are on a different ODROID which works as a samba share and there are three ODROIDs using the games at the same time (XU3, U3, C2) it's nice being able to share all the ROMS at the same time.
meveric

Unread postby Flipsy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 am

An other issue:

I have 5tb external harddrive attached. When I want to copy files over 2,5Gb it says no more free space available. How to solve this?
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:16 am

Flipsy wrote:An other issue:

I have 5tb external harddrive attached. When I want to copy files over 2,5Gb it says no more free space available. How to solve this?

:D
I'm not sure if you can fix this. This might be a limitation of the 32bit achitecture.
Although I'm not sure. 5TB might also be a reason.. 32bit should also have a maximum of 4TB HDD size it supports, unless you use smaller individual partitions.
I suggest you check logs what it says why it's bringing this error.. but I think it could be an internal variable limitation on the 32bit barrier.
meveric

Unread postby Flipsy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:22 am

meveric wrote:
Flipsy wrote:An other issue:

:D
I'm not sure if you can fix this. This might be a limitation of the 32bit achitecture.
Although I'm not sure. 5TB might also be a reason.. 32bit should also have a maximum of 4TB HDD size it supports, unless you use smaller individual partitions.
I suggest you check logs what it says why it's bringing this error.. but I think it could be an internal variable limitation on the 32bit barrier.

This is NTFS, not 32bit and copying works fine on my laptop. Now I am always using my laptop to copy large folders. I plug out from odroid, plug in laptop and works fine. Also worked with previous image on odroid.
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 am

Flipsy wrote:This is NTFS, not 32bit and copying works fine on my laptop. Now I am always using my laptop to copy large folders. I plug out from odroid, plug in laptop and works fine. Also worked with previous image on odroid.

armhf is 32bit, that's what might be the limiting factor, bit fat32 or whatever. Just the Kernel might not be compatible.
The OS shouldn't really matter, it's probably more an Kernel issue or as I said a limitation of 32bit architecture.
I can try with bigger files on my system.. I have some movie files that are larger than 4GB i can try to see what happens.

What do you use to copy the files? Copy paste from Caja (file manager)? cp from terminal? midnight commander?
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 am

Ive copied a 18gb file from odroid to an ntfs partition which is full of errors and folders which have an io error and it still went through. I wouldnt see why not.
Cartridge

languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread postby Flipsy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 am

meveric wrote:
Flipsy wrote:This is NTFS, not 32bit and copying works fine on my laptop. Now I am always using my laptop to copy large folders. I plug out from odroid, plug in laptop and works fine. Also worked with previous image on odroid.

armhf is 32bit, that's what might be the limiting factor, bit fat32 or whatever. Just the Kernel might not be compatible.
The OS shouldn't really matter, it's probably more an Kernel issue or as I said a limitation of 32bit architecture.
I can try with bigger files on my system.. I have some movie files that are larger than 4GB i can try to see what happens.

What do you use to copy the files? Copy paste from Caja (file manager)? cp from terminal? midnight commander?

Thank you guys!!! The problem is with my Samba. With winscp works well. Somehow need to figure out how to solve with Samba.
Flipsy

Unread postby Flipsy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 am

I wanted to change font and icon sizes. Opened Desktop Preferences and it says Desktop manager is not active!
Does anybody have a solution to this?
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

I think if you change the look and feel inside the Control Center you might get somewhere.. there are some options to manipulate font size and such..
Not sure about icon size though.. probably there's quite a lot of things that can be done over gsettings.
meveric

Unread postby kilnsob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 am

Why on my first boot am I already out of memory? I used a 64gb card and now all the memory it shows is the boot partition and that is it. How can I use the unallocated memory left on the card? Some 55gb.
kilnsob

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:35 pm

the partition will be enlarged automatically. please wait after the first boot until the system reboots.. shortly after the reboot the full size of your sd card is available.
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:24 pm

I've just been alarmed about devuan, a systemd-free version of debian jessie. Is sysvinit something the odroid can benefit from or is systemd better for our style of situation? I know wheezy was making use of it but was it better for configuration with sysvinit or systemd?
Cartridge

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:17 am

sysvinit is the old style it starts one service after the other which makes it easier to configure, but the boot process takes much longer.
Systemd can start multiple services at once if the dependencies allow it.. it has a lot of other features as well, for example it doesn't need to rely on pid files in /var/run to determine if a service is running or not, and can auto restart if a service crashes..
both have pros and cons..
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 am

I see but the way you explain it, makes it feel like systemd is the best choice for speed as per most of what people wants. Thanks for clearing that up.
Cartridge

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 am

Cartridge wrote:I see but the way you explain it, makes it feel like systemd is the best choice for speed as per most of what people wants. Thanks for clearing that up.

That is why most distros are now running on systemd. In fact Debian is an exception by still offering support for sysvinit, but many Linux admins prefer Debian for it's stability and are hardheaded when it comes to doing things the "new way" when they've done it differently for decates.
meveric

Unread postby iLackLogic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 am

How would I go about using my Xbox One controller either connected via bluetooth/usb adapter? I can't seem to find it or figure it out
iLackLogic

Unread postby meveric » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:14 pm

iLackLogic wrote:How would I go about using my Xbox One controller either connected via bluetooth/usb adapter? I can't seem to find it or figure it out

I'm not sure about bluetooth connection. I haven't seen any guide for Linux yet, so I don't think this will work out of the box.
Cable should work. Plug-In the controller and turn it on (if needed) check if unter /dev/input/ there's a jsX device js0 js1 or something like that.
If not you should try installing steamos-xpad-dkms which is a newer version of the xpad driver and might already support XBox One controller.
Else you probably have to switch to Kernel 4.9 to get it to work.
meveric

Unread postby iLackLogic » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 am

meveric wrote:
iLackLogic wrote:How would I go about using my Xbox One controller either connected via bluetooth/usb adapter? I can't seem to find it or figure it out

I'm not sure about bluetooth connection. I haven't seen any guide for Linux yet, so I don't think this will work out of the box.
Cable should work. Plug-In the controller and turn it on (if needed) check if unter /dev/input/ there's a jsX device js0 js1 or something like that.
If not you should try installing steamos-xpad-dkms which is a newer version of the xpad driver and might already support XBox One controller.
Else you probably have to switch to Kernel 4.9 to get it to work.

Do you know any controllers that can be wireless with the system? PS3 or PS4 or Xbox 360? Thanks
and sorry for asking these question i'm very new to this stuff
iLackLogic

Unread postby tipoto » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 am

iLackLogic wrote:Do you know any controllers that can be wireless with the system? PS3 or PS4 or Xbox 360? Thanks

Xbox 360 wireless controllers work out of the box.
tipoto

languages_spoken: French, English & Spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby iLackLogic » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:55 am

tipoto wrote:
iLackLogic wrote:Do you know any controllers that can be wireless with the system? PS3 or PS4 or Xbox 360? Thanks

Xbox 360 wireless controllers work out of the box.

Does It work just like normal? Everything like the d-pad, triggers and what not? Also I would just plug in the Adapter to a uSB port and go to connect the Controller just like normal?

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Authentic-Wireless-Receiver-Windows/dp/B00FAS1WDG/
Controller: https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Glossy-Black/dp/B003ZSP0WW/
iLackLogic

Unread postby tipoto » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 am

iLackLogic wrote:Does It work just like normal? Everything like the d-pad, triggers and what not? Also I would just plug in the Adapter to a uSB port and go to connect the Controller just like normal?

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Authentic-Wireless-Receiver-Windows/dp/B00FAS1WDG/
Controller: https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Glossy-Black/dp/B003ZSP0WW/

This is exactly the material I use (Authentic Xbox 360 Microsoft Wireless PC Receiver + Authentic Microsoft Xbox 360 Controllers).
I have 4 controllers and they all work together. All the buttons, pad, triggers and analog sticks are recognized as they should.

Now it doesn't mean that everything will always work perfectly in any emulators in any cases without any adjustments, but meveric uses these controllers too (it's why I bought them in the first place), so his whole system has been configured to work with these controllers.
But wait until meveric reads these messages before buying anything, just in case he wants to add any important information ;)
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 am

No that's pretty much I would say as well..
XBox 360 controller is best supported. It even allows you to control Kodi directly.
All button should work fine.
PS3 controllers should also work fine, but you need a bluetooth dongle for that, need to install "sixad" and I think only one controller will work.
You have to "pair" a PS3 controller once, which means after installation of sixad, you need to plugin the controller once via cable. After that it should run wireless.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Mon May 08, 2017 1:26 pm

I noticed a few issues with reicast (Dreamcast emulator):

1) It doesn't manage to display properly more than one camera point of view at once.
I still have to test a game that splits the screen in 2 parts, but any game that has a mirror (like the racing games) is unplayable.
Basically what happens is that the mirror view becomes more or less your main view, while the main view is just completely skipped.
Here are 2 games that have the issue:
- F355 Challenge - Passione Rossa (USA)[RDC]
- MDK2 -> When you look through the viewer of a weapon (https://youtu.be/X1EZhrNQ5h0?t=6m50s) -> The viewer has a second view at the top right of the screen.
But I had the issue with other games too.

2) I use wireless Xbox 360controllers and the Jump pack support doesn't work properly with them.
Some games are OK, while others don't turn OFF the vibration once it's been turned ON.
You can reproduce the problem with “Metropolis Street Racer”, but I also had the problem with “Resident Evil Code Veronica” when you start or load a game. I also experienced the issue with other games.

3) reicast tends to corrupt the VMU files very often

I was wondering if for the first point, it could be related to an option or a setting during the compilation process?
For the second point, I don't know if other controllers have the same issue, but if so, I think I would almost prefer to disable this feature completely instead of having half of the games turning on the vibration like crazy ! ;) There is no option to replace the jump packs by regular VMUs in the settings, I guess it's also something that you decide while you compile the emulator.
For the third point, I think there is nothing we can really do to fix that, but I wanted to mention it just in case. I have an advice for the people having the issue though... It's safer to return to the main menu before exiting the emulator, that way reicast “releases” the current vmu file used and it's less risky, but it will happen sometimes anyway.
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 08, 2017 2:56 pm

tipoto wrote:I noticed a few issues with reicast (Dreamcast emulator):

1) It doesn't manage to display properly more than one camera point of view at once.
I still have to test a game that splits the screen in 2 parts, but any game that has a mirror (like the racing games) is unplayable.
Basically what happens is that the mirror view becomes more or less your main view, while the main view is just completely skipped.
Here are 2 games that have the issue:
- F355 Challenge - Passione Rossa (USA)[RDC]
- MDK2 -> When you look through the viewer of a weapon (https://youtu.be/X1EZhrNQ5h0?t=6m50s) -> The viewer has a second view at the top right of the screen.
But I had the issue with other games too.

You should report this to the reicast project, since I can only fix so much about reicast. I've noticed these issues as well but I know they are a limitation of the emulator.
For example MMU support is completely missing at the moment which prevents several games from working at all.
Still nothing that I can fix, you should raise a bug on reicasts github.

tipoto wrote:2) I use wireless Xbox 360controllers and the Jump pack support doesn't work properly with them.
Some games are OK, while others don't turn OFF the vibration once it's been turned ON.
You can reproduce the problem with “Metropolis Street Racer”, but I also had the problem with “Resident Evil Code Veronica” when you start or load a game. I also experienced the issue with other games.

Make sure you update to the latest version of reicast, since I fixed this recently

tipoto wrote:3) reicast tends to corrupt the VMU files very often

I haven't noticed that yet, I rather have the issue that I ran out of memory space rather quickly :D

tipoto wrote:I was wondering if for the first point, it could be related to an option or a setting during the compilation process?

Possibly, but not very likely. I could produce a less optimized version that is more "accurate" but I don't think this will solve the issues with the game.
Also it will probably be a lot slower. I can try with a few games, but I highly doubt, that games that are completely broken suddenly work all fine just due to other compiler flags.

tipoto wrote:For the second point, I don't know if other controllers have the same issue, but if so, I think I would almost prefer to disable this feature completely instead of having half of the games turning on the vibration like crazy ! ;) There is no option to replace the jump packs by regular VMUs in the settings, I guess it's also something that you decide while you compile the emulator.

True, up to some time ago I had 2 VMUs for each controller rather than 1x VMU + 1x Jump pack, but with the current implementation I rather like the rumbling.. It runs fine on all games I testet. There are only a few games now that keep it on (on purpose) like Crazy Taxi where it should simulate engine of the car, but all other games it turns off now as it should.
Please make sure to check out the latest version.

tipoto wrote:For the third point, I think there is nothing we can really do to fix that, but I wanted to mention it just in case. I have an advice for the people having the issue though... It's safer to return to the main menu before exiting the emulator, that way reicast “releases” the current vmu file used and it's less risky, but it will happen sometimes anyway.

I never had this issue up to now.. And I recently tested the new .chd implementation for about 50 games and never had any corrupt VMU files.. In fact I needed to clean my VMU files once since I ran out of space on all 4 VMUs :(
There's one game called "Seventh Cross Evolution" which creates a 172 blocks save file on a device that only has 200 blocks to begin with -.-
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Mon May 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Thank you for your quick reply ! :D
For the first point, I'll see if I can report it onto the reicast project directly... But for sure I don't want to make the emulator slower. ;)

meveric wrote:For example MMU support is completely missing at the moment which prevents several games from working at all.

Yes, I noticed that the compatibility is pretty bad for the moment, I would say that only about 35% of the library work properly. Sometimes you have to spend a lot of time to find the only version that actually works with the emulator. It can be the European version or the US one or the specific version of the US one... It's a lot of hit and miss.

meveric wrote:In fact I needed to clean my VMU files once since I ran out of space on all 4 VMUs :(
There's one game called "Seventh Cross Evolution" which creates a 172 blocks save file on a device that only has 200 blocks to begin with -.-

I actually wrote a script that creates a full set of formatted VMU files for each games. It also manages all the library of VMU files separately :D.
So this is what it does exactly:
- When you launch a game for the first time it will create 4 new VMU files in a specific folder with the rom name, it will also overwrite /home/odroid/.reicast/vmu_save_A1.bin , vmu_save_B1.bin, vmu_save_C1.bin, vmu_save_D1.bin with these new files.
- When you exit the game, it backups the VMU files in the folder previously created... They are ready for the next time you need them.
- When you launch a game that you previously launched, il grabs the VMU files from the folder with the same name (the rom name) and overwrites /home/odroid/.reicast/*1.bin again with them.
- I actually even added a feature to load VMUs that you can download from the internet (when you want all the options unlocked for example). You put the VMU file in a folder called "special" (already created in the folder of the game) and it will be loaded in priority when you launch a game. This file will be always restored to its initial state (you will lose any modifications done during the emulation on this specific vmu). But if you want to be able to modify it, you just have to overwrite one of the VMU files of this game instead (not in the "special" folder).

With this script, you can't be out of memory anymore eh eh ;)
If you want I can give it to you, it should be very easy to adapt to your own launcher script.

meveric wrote:And I recently tested the new .chd implementation for about 50 games and never had any corrupt VMU files..

It's the first time I hear that we can use CHD files for other things that for MAME! I guess the only advantage is that the files are way smaller than the cdi/gdi ones, right?
Isn't it slower to load a game when using chd format?
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 08, 2017 5:37 pm

tipoto wrote:I actually wrote a script that creates a full set of formatted VMU files for each games. It also manages all the library of VMU files separately :D.
So this is what it does exactly:
- When you launch a game for the first time it will create 4 new VMU files in a specific folder with the rom name, it will also overwrite /home/odroid/.reicast/vmu_save_A1.bin , vmu_save_B1.bin, vmu_save_C1.bin, vmu_save_D1.bin with these new files.
- When you exit the game, it backups the VMU files in the folder previously created... They are ready for the next time you need them.
- When you launch a game that you previously launched, il grabs the VMU files from the folder with the same name (the rom name) and overwrites /home/odroid/.reicast/*1.bin again with them.
- I actually even added a feature to load VMUs that you can download from the internet (when you want all the options unlocked for example). You put the VMU file in a folder called "special" (already created in the folder of the game) and it will be loaded in priority when you launch a game. This file will be always restored to its initial state (you will lose any modifications done during the emulation on this specific vmu). But if you want to be able to modify it, you just have to overwrite one of the VMU files of this game instead (not in the "special" folder).

Actually not a bad Idea, I do something similar with the Amiga emulation, altough it's easier there as long as you use different config files for each game.
I might consider doing that in the future too ;)

tipoto wrote:With this script, you can't be out of memory anymore eh eh ;)

You don't know my excessive saving behavior! :D
And I remember scummvm for DreamCast with autosave every 5minutes to VMU, so don't tell me it's not possible! :D
tipoto wrote:If you want I can give it to you, it should be very easy to adapt to your own launcher script.

That would be quite nice, I can probably adapt it quite easily :)
tipoto wrote:It's the first time I hear that we can use CHD files for other things that for MAME! I guess the only advantage is that the files are way smaller than the cdi/gdi ones, right?

Yes an no. I knew it was possible for about 1 1/2 years already, but haven't had time to look into it yet :(
There is a GDI to CHD converter out there, that should be rather easy to find.
Yes the benefit is compression since GDi files are ALWAYS 1.2 GB in size, which can come handy for games like Ikaruga which is as a chd file only about 70MB, but that's not all of it.
CDi files are often stripped off versions of the original games. Since you could not burn 1.2 GB on a CD crackers had to reduce quality of video, music, and/or textures to reduce the size of original games dumps in order to fit them in a 800MB cdi file so you could burn it on a regular CD. That means the quality was somewhat worse than on the original games.
Means now that you can use CHD files of converted GDi files you have the best possible quality of the game you can get. While still using less space than regular GDi files.
Sometimes these differences are huge though. I have some games that as a CDi are only 300 MB compressed, while even as a compressed GDi they are 800+ MB.
So you can see that the developers felt they could strip away quite a bit of "unnecessary data".
tipoto wrote:Isn't it slower to load a game when using chd format?

Can't say I noticed anything. Maybe it is, but I never tested the difference in loading speed. Once games are up and running you rarely have any load times in game as is.
And it's still faster than the original Dreamcast with it's slow CD drive.

Have you tried the new rumble implementation yet?
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Mon May 08, 2017 5:55 pm

meveric wrote:Have you tried the new rumble implementation yet

Yes, it works perfectly now :D

I'm preparing the part of my script that you need, because it's in the middle of other things that you don't really want ;)
I should have it ready in a bit
tipoto

Unread postby tipoto » Mon May 08, 2017 7:12 pm

I attached a zip file with the script and 4 formated VMU files in a folder. The folder name matches what I have in the script.
I tried to comment as much as I could to make it clear, but if you have any questions let me know. There is important information at the very top.

The main things you have to do:
- There is a variable called "$romName", you need to provide a value to it (ex: Crazy_Taxi_[USA].cdi)
- I put the 3 important paths that the script uses in 3 variables at the beginning, you just have to edit them and everything else should be automatic.
Attachments
VMU_script.zip
Allows to have one set of VMU files per rom
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Last edited by tipoto on Tue May 09, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am

Thanks a lot for the script, I'll look into it and try to incorporate it in the Dreamcast launch script. :)
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Tue May 09, 2017 1:56 am

You're welcome.

I forgot to ask you... Did you find a way to get ride of the setting screen time/date when you launch reicast?
I tried the basic solutions form the different forums, but nothing works.
I guess if we edit the dreamcast.RTC field in emu.cfg accordingly to the current time, maybe it could fix it, but I'm not sure. I have a rtc battery, so I could just edit the field before starting the emulator with the correct value, but I don't know exactly what time reicast is expecting to read in order to stop displaying this screen.
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 2:03 am

it's working fine for me I don't get asked. I left it to the default value it gives you. Yes that means you always have the wrong time, but at least it won't ask you again.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Tue May 09, 2017 2:21 am

It's weird! I tried to leave it by default (11/27/1998 00:00), I also tried the current time -5 minutes and I also tried with just the current time, but it always displays this screen again and again. :-/
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 4:22 am

can you try: Dreamcast.RTC = 1543276800 and see how it reacts?
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Tue May 09, 2017 5:09 am

Thanks, I'll try tonight.
When I convert this number, it gives me: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 00:00:00

So it seems that we need to give a date in the future. I thing I messed up with the number almost immediately and I guess it's why it doesn't work now. I will try with your value first, and if it works, then I will try to add a few lines in my script to edit the value just before starting the emulator with a date slightly in the future. It would be nice to have an almost correct date when we save on the VMUs. ;)
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 09, 2017 5:24 am

I know it looks like it, but in the end it will show 11/27/1998 strangely as it is.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 am

Well... If I can get ride of the date/time screen, I would be already happy then ;)
tipoto

PreviousNext

Return to Projects