ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Unread postby skull » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 am

Does anybody have problems with cec?
Before recent updates it was working OK, I could manage odroid with TV remote control, but now TV don't list odroid on TV sources.
Does anything have changed?

Many thanks

Enviat des del meu MI 5 usant Tapatalk
skull

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2, U3 & XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:43 am

probably changes in the Kernel.. This seems to happen since Kernel 3.10.105... not sure why.. maybe HardKernel (odroid/mdrjr) can answer what was changed.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby skull » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:33 pm

But is there anything that I can do to fix it?
I want to use my TV remote control again

thanks
skull

Unread postby odroid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

HDMI CEC works well on Ubuntu Kernel 3.10.105-138.

1. Check the cecenable option in /media/boot/boot.ini
Code: Select all
# --- HDMI CEC Configuration ---
# ------------------------------------------
setenv cecenable "true" # false or true

2. Check dmesg output
Code: Select all
odroid@odroid:~$ dmesg | grep cec
[    4.045909] [c7] s5p-tvout-cec 101b0000.cec: success request GPIO for hdmi-cec
[    4.052265] s5p-tvout-cec 101b0000.cec: probe successful
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby skull » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:29 pm

many thanks @odroid!

cecenable var was set to false in /boot/boot.ini
skull

Unread postby Flipsy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:39 am

I have some questions, help please.

-Do you have the problem in Kodi that after a while the sound of the movies will late and a scratch sound is in the background? Why, how can I solve the problem?

-If I quit from the games in kodi to watch a movie, how can I get back to my game list, without to restart kodi?

-I have deleted all games, but can npt remove them from the kodi list. I press "c" then delete rom list it removes, but after a restart all games are in the list, even if the files dont exist anymore.

-where should I copy dreamcast games? II can not find the folder for them. How to apear them in kodi?

-Can someone help me with symlink. I want to have all my games on my external harddrive

-Can someone somehow share his/her ROMS folder? ;) when I download packs there are several games doubled in nes, snes, atari etc.... All manufaturers done the same games.
Flipsy

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: u3

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:06 am

Flipsy wrote:-Do you have the problem in Kodi that after a while the sound of the movies will late and a scratch sound is in the background? Why, how can I solve the problem?

Nope I never had that and heard of it the first time. There are certainly other issues with kodi, but that's a new.

Flipsy wrote:-If I quit from the games in kodi to watch a movie, how can I get back to my game list, without to restart kodi?

The games is a program called "Rom Collection Browser" if you go to Programs from the start menu you can start the games from there again.
I use a different skin and put GAMES on the start menu next to video and such :)
Flipsy wrote:-where should I copy dreamcast games? II can not find the folder for them. How to apear them in kodi?

/home/odroid/ROMS/SEGA/Dreamcast/ is the folder if it's not there, then maybe is not correct on the update process. Can you check if it's there?
Files should end on .cdi that way they should be found in Rom Collection Browser.
Flipsy wrote:-Can someone help me with symlink. I want to have all my games on my external harddrive

There is a FAQ in the first post that describes how to do this.
Flipsy wrote:when I download packs there are several games doubled in nes, snes, atari etc.... All manufaturers done the same games.

Often there are slightly different versions or "hacks" that change parts of the games.. or the game was just copied by different persons/groups, sometimes there are 10 or more versions of the same game.
I wouldn't use entire game packs. In my opinion there are a lot of really bad games or games that I'm simply not interested in on different systems.
Just as an example: I went through about 800 Sega Genesis games: https://archive.org/details/SegaMegaDriveGenesisVideos
Out of which I only decided I would play about 80 of em.. that means over 90% of the games are totally uninteresting to me. Having several hundred games on a list like Rom Collection Browser really doesn't make it any easier for you to decide what you want to play.
But with the "fewer" games I actually could put a little bit more effort in it to make it look like this: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vide ... .47.43.m4v
Sadly the sound wasn't captured in this, that's why I removed the audio track completely before I uploaded the video. Just imagine catchy game music and sounds from the Genesis ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby elementalwindx » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Any word on being able to use Kodi Krypton with this? :)
elementalwindx

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 pm

I have a working version of Kodi Krypton and it seems it's still compatible with Rom Collection Browser, but the dependencies for Kodi Krypton are a mess and you would uninstall major parts of MATE due to the requirements of Kodi Krypton.
I have to check if I can find a way to get both working. I have an idea how to do it, but it will take a little time to try.
meveric

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Could this image work with an 128 gbs micro sd card? I found one that I had a good while so I figured that I give it a go
sketch2k278

ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:06 pm

minimum is a 8GB eMMC/SD card so as long as the 128GB SD card is supported by the hardware the image should run fine.
meveric

Unread postby Flipsy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 am

meveric wrote:
Flipsy wrote:-Do you have the problem in Kodi that after a while the sound of the movies will late and a scratch sound is in the background? Why, how can I solve the problem?

Nope I never had that and heard of it the first time. There are certainly other issues with kodi, but that's a new.

Flipsy wrote:-If I quit from the games in kodi to watch a movie, how can I get back to my game list, without to restart kodi?

The games is a program called "Rom Collection Browser" if you go to Programs from the start menu you can start the games from there again.
I use a different skin and put GAMES on the start menu next to video and such :)
Flipsy wrote:-where should I copy dreamcast games? II can not find the folder for them. How to apear them in kodi?

/home/odroid/ROMS/SEGA/Dreamcast/ is the folder if it's not there, then maybe is not correct on the update process. Can you check if it's there?
Files should end on .cdi that way they should be found in Rom Collection Browser.
Flipsy wrote:-Can someone help me with symlink. I want to have all my games on my external harddrive

There is a FAQ in the first post that describes how to do this.
Flipsy wrote:when I download packs there are several games doubled in nes, snes, atari etc.... All manufaturers done the same games.

Often there are slightly different versions or "hacks" that change parts of the games.. or the game was just copied by different persons/groups, sometimes there are 10 or more versions of the same game.
I wouldn't use entire game packs. In my opinion there are a lot of really bad games or games that I'm simply not interested in on different systems.
Just as an example: I went through about 800 Sega Genesis games: https://archive.org/details/SegaMegaDriveGenesisVideos
Out of which I only decided I would play about 80 of em.. that means over 90% of the games are totally uninteresting to me. Having several hundred games on a list like Rom Collection Browser really doesn't make it any easier for you to decide what you want to play.
But with the "fewer" games I actually could put a little bit more effort in it to make it look like this: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/other/Vide ... .47.43.m4v
Sadly the sound wasn't captured in this, that's why I removed the audio track completely before I uploaded the video. Just imagine catchy game music and sounds from the Genesis ;)

Thank you Mevrik you really help a lot :)
Any idea how to make my rom collector browser empty. All the games are coming up, even if I deleted them...
Thx in advance
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 am

if you deleted them from the ROMS folder you can use "clean database" as an option in Rom Collection Browser... it will remove all entries for games that can no longer be found.
meveric

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:18 am

meveric wrote:minimum is a 8GB eMMC/SD card so as long as the 128GB SD card is supported by the hardware the image should run fine.

Thanks for the answer, I don't think that sd card is supported because when I try to start it up all I get is the mouse cursor or sometimes nothing at all. So I think I'll just stick with the 64 gb card that im using, however is it possible to to just use the 128 card as a 2nd drive, like strictly for game storage just like a hdd? Would I have to set the sd card up like the little hdd tutorial on the 1st page?
sketch2k278

ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:26 am

sketch2k278 wrote:...however is it possible to to just use the 128 card as a 2nd drive, like strictly for game storage just like a hdd?

That should be possible, but if you already boot from SD card, that's probably hard to do.
sketch2k278 wrote:Would I have to set the sd card up like the little hdd tutorial on the 1st page?

Yep, the process is always the same :)
I prefer using a HDD or Network storage (SAMBA) though, since you can use it on different systems at the same time. My games are on a different ODROID which works as a samba share and there are three ODROIDs using the games at the same time (XU3, U3, C2) it's nice being able to share all the ROMS at the same time.
meveric

Unread postby Flipsy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 am

An other issue:

I have 5tb external harddrive attached. When I want to copy files over 2,5Gb it says no more free space available. How to solve this?
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:16 am

Flipsy wrote:An other issue:

I have 5tb external harddrive attached. When I want to copy files over 2,5Gb it says no more free space available. How to solve this?

:D
I'm not sure if you can fix this. This might be a limitation of the 32bit achitecture.
Although I'm not sure. 5TB might also be a reason.. 32bit should also have a maximum of 4TB HDD size it supports, unless you use smaller individual partitions.
I suggest you check logs what it says why it's bringing this error.. but I think it could be an internal variable limitation on the 32bit barrier.
meveric

Unread postby Flipsy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:22 am

meveric wrote:
Flipsy wrote:An other issue:

:D
I'm not sure if you can fix this. This might be a limitation of the 32bit achitecture.
Although I'm not sure. 5TB might also be a reason.. 32bit should also have a maximum of 4TB HDD size it supports, unless you use smaller individual partitions.
I suggest you check logs what it says why it's bringing this error.. but I think it could be an internal variable limitation on the 32bit barrier.

This is NTFS, not 32bit and copying works fine on my laptop. Now I am always using my laptop to copy large folders. I plug out from odroid, plug in laptop and works fine. Also worked with previous image on odroid.
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 am

Flipsy wrote:This is NTFS, not 32bit and copying works fine on my laptop. Now I am always using my laptop to copy large folders. I plug out from odroid, plug in laptop and works fine. Also worked with previous image on odroid.

armhf is 32bit, that's what might be the limiting factor, bit fat32 or whatever. Just the Kernel might not be compatible.
The OS shouldn't really matter, it's probably more an Kernel issue or as I said a limitation of 32bit architecture.
I can try with bigger files on my system.. I have some movie files that are larger than 4GB i can try to see what happens.

What do you use to copy the files? Copy paste from Caja (file manager)? cp from terminal? midnight commander?
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 am

Ive copied a 18gb file from odroid to an ntfs partition which is full of errors and folders which have an io error and it still went through. I wouldnt see why not.
Cartridge

languages_spoken: english, french natively
ODROIDs: The Perfect ODROID-U2, ODROID-U3+, C1, XU3

Unread postby Flipsy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 am

meveric wrote:
Flipsy wrote:This is NTFS, not 32bit and copying works fine on my laptop. Now I am always using my laptop to copy large folders. I plug out from odroid, plug in laptop and works fine. Also worked with previous image on odroid.

armhf is 32bit, that's what might be the limiting factor, bit fat32 or whatever. Just the Kernel might not be compatible.
The OS shouldn't really matter, it's probably more an Kernel issue or as I said a limitation of 32bit architecture.
I can try with bigger files on my system.. I have some movie files that are larger than 4GB i can try to see what happens.

What do you use to copy the files? Copy paste from Caja (file manager)? cp from terminal? midnight commander?

Thank you guys!!! The problem is with my Samba. With winscp works well. Somehow need to figure out how to solve with Samba.
Flipsy

Unread postby Flipsy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 am

I wanted to change font and icon sizes. Opened Desktop Preferences and it says Desktop manager is not active!
Does anybody have a solution to this?
Flipsy

Unread postby meveric » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

I think if you change the look and feel inside the Control Center you might get somewhere.. there are some options to manipulate font size and such..
Not sure about icon size though.. probably there's quite a lot of things that can be done over gsettings.
meveric

Unread postby kilnsob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 am

Why on my first boot am I already out of memory? I used a 64gb card and now all the memory it shows is the boot partition and that is it. How can I use the unallocated memory left on the card? Some 55gb.
kilnsob

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:35 pm

the partition will be enlarged automatically. please wait after the first boot until the system reboots.. shortly after the reboot the full size of your sd card is available.
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:24 pm

I've just been alarmed about devuan, a systemd-free version of debian jessie. Is sysvinit something the odroid can benefit from or is systemd better for our style of situation? I know wheezy was making use of it but was it better for configuration with sysvinit or systemd?
Cartridge

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:17 am

sysvinit is the old style it starts one service after the other which makes it easier to configure, but the boot process takes much longer.
Systemd can start multiple services at once if the dependencies allow it.. it has a lot of other features as well, for example it doesn't need to rely on pid files in /var/run to determine if a service is running or not, and can auto restart if a service crashes..
both have pros and cons..
meveric

Unread postby Cartridge » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 am

I see but the way you explain it, makes it feel like systemd is the best choice for speed as per most of what people wants. Thanks for clearing that up.
Cartridge

Unread postby meveric » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 am

Cartridge wrote:I see but the way you explain it, makes it feel like systemd is the best choice for speed as per most of what people wants. Thanks for clearing that up.

That is why most distros are now running on systemd. In fact Debian is an exception by still offering support for sysvinit, but many Linux admins prefer Debian for it's stability and are hardheaded when it comes to doing things the "new way" when they've done it differently for decates.
meveric

Previous

Return to Projects