ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: ODROID GameStation Turbo with XBMC for XU3/XU4

Unread postby will_santana » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:48 pm

First of all, let me thank Meveric for the awesome debian images.

Beeing using pure Jessie one for a project about a week and loving it. but I got into some problems that I think this one may help.
I'm truing to make a multiple purpose machine on a XU4. I know it's not the best choice, but that's the challange. I was using OMV 2.X image for about a month without problems. But I really missed the kodi player I had on my old and bulky windows machine.
I was able to install accelerated HW kodi on the minimal Jessie distro following the tutorials. Installed OMV 3.X too. But that's the problem. As OMV 3.0 (Jessie based) is unde development, various plugins are unstable or outdated.

The new approach I'd like to try is to use the old versions both of gamestation (Wheezy based) and OMV (Wheezy based too).

Questions are:
1 - Is the old gamestation image HW accelerated on XU4? I guess yes because the gaming focus. (FIGURED OUT)
2 - XBMC has now long gone. Is it possible to update to Kodi in it? (FIGURED OUT)
3 - Is there HDMI audio in it? Only got HDMI audio on minimal Jessie after installing pavucontrol.

Once more, thanks for the incredible work.
will_santana

languages_spoken: english, portuguese, spanish

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 am

The Wheezy image is no longer maintained, and will not get any new programs.
XBMC is hardware accelerated, I'm not sure what Kodi version is available on Wheezy, but certainly not the newest version. As I said, Wheezy is rather outdated, actually Debian Stretch is right around the corner, and I kinda look forward to get rid of Debian Jessie as well although it will be available for quite a while I assume.

HDMI out should work just fine, pavucontrol is good to select the default audio device, should not be necessary but won't harm it either.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby will_santana » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for your fast answer.

I'd change distros too, but I'm stuck in my project with the old Wheezy because of OMV. It's a key piece in my project. And, as I said, 2.0 (wheezy based) is the stable one.

I'll see if the old XBMC is enough for my use.

Two new questions here:
1 - is your kodi-odroid package TOO different from the kodi sources? Maybe building it would save me here.
2 - after the apt-get update, upgrade and so on gamestation wheezy, I see the mouse pointer for a while and then get a black screen. Any solutuion for it (I know, I know, it's no longer supported :? )?

Thanks once more fore all of your work
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 pm

will_santana wrote:1 - is your kodi-odroid package TOO different from the kodi sources? Maybe building it would save me here.

For the XU3/XU4 there is a patch that is needed to start Kodi correctly or else you are presented with a black screen after starting Kodi:
Code: Select all
diff --git a/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.cpp b/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.cpp
index a551586..2604fc2 100644
--- a/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.cpp
+++ b/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.cpp
@@ -596,7 +596,7 @@ bool CWinSystemX11::IsSuitableVisual(XVisualInfo *vInfo)
     return false;
 #endif

-#if defined(HAS_EGL)
+#if defined(HAS_EGL) && !defined(ODROID)
   EGLConfig config = getEGLConfig(m_eglDisplay, vInfo);
   if (config == EGL_NO_CONFIG)
   {

Obviously one of my compiler flags has a -DODROID in it to make this work.
Also I think you need to add the following line as well:
diff --git a/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.h b/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.h
index 914dd32..5b356e4 100644
--- a/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.h
+++ b/xbmc/windowing/X11/WinSystemX11.h
@@ -31,6 +31,7 @@

#if defined(HAS_EGL)
 #include <EGL/egl.h>
+#include <X11/Xutil.h>
 #endif

#include "windowing/WinSystem.h"

Aside from that I don't think you need anything.

Make sure to take Kodi-Jarvis NOT Krypton!

will_santana wrote:2 - after the apt-get update, upgrade and so on gamestation wheezy, I see the mouse pointer for a while and then get a black screen. Any solutuion for it (I know, I know, it's no longer supported :? )?

hmm... Kernel update will break GPU support, GPU driver update, will not work due to too old glibc.
Even the original GPU driver did not work under Debian Wheezy since they requited libc6 in version 2.15 but Debian Wheezy only comes with libc6 2.13, I already needed to replace the 2.13 from Debian Wheezy with 2.15 from Ubuntu 12.04. to get the GPU drivers to work at all.
Currently we use GPU drivers r14p0 which require libc6 2.19 or higher.
I think up to version r6p0 they might still work under Debian Wheezy.
If you check here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/ you will find some old Kernel and GPU driver that might still work under Debian Wheezy. It also means you can not update further than these Kernel without breaking the system again.
So you should set the Kernel and GPU driver to hold apt-mark hold in order to prevent them from being updated.
Sadly XU3/XU4 is known to have some bugs, especially in the older Kernel versions. The so called black screen issue when exiting full screen applications such as XBMC/Kodi. My image includes a workaround if you press "CTRL + ALT + F" but it might not help in all situations.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby will_santana » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:53 am

wow! thanks for all that info
Will work on that and be back with the news (wathever they are)
will_santana

Unread postby will_santana » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:53 am

Back with some info:

After a LOT of deps resolution, version matching and repo digging, I've managed to install OMV 3.X (actualy 3.0.13 due to my needs) along with gamestation turbo.
I'll doing some stability tests but It seems to actualy work. The load on the processors are low as expected.

So far I've managed to install OMV and all the needed plugins to keep my media (movies, series and family photos) and docs safe using snapraid. Make them easily accessible and redundant even while splitted over multiple drives with greyhole. And manage my series and movies with sonarr and couchpotato. I'll be working on a cloud backup for the really sensitive media this week.
All of it easy manageable with OMV and using gamestation's kodi to catalog and display it all. That's pretty much the same functionality I had on a old windows "server" machine with 10 big and heat crazy 3 1/2'' disks, a NVidia card, a dual core amd processor (got 8 on XU4) and and a insane 750W PSU. Gotta love tech ;)

But I got an issue. The playback on Kodi is smooth. No hangs or caching (as desirable on a local source library). But I got sort of "artifacts" on the playback. It kinda looks like some VSync or frame buffer error. The major one is about 3/4 down of the image, specially on action scenes. I get a "dented divisor line" where the two halfs are clearly in different frames (can't figure wich one in the future or the past).

As an image says more than a thousand words (specially with my poor english):

Is this any know issue? I've been looking into the kodi configs but no luck fixing it 'till now.

So close right now. And you guys let me know if there's any interest on how to install OMV 3.X over Gamestation to make it the ultimate media & game player/server/storage.

[]s

PS: after I solve all the kodi issues I'll focus on the game portion as it would be a great plus in my project (although the main goal on gamestation).
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:14 pm

will_santana wrote:But I got an issue. The playback on Kodi is smooth. No hangs or caching (as desirable on a local source library). But I got sort of "artifacts" on the playback. It kinda looks like some VSync or frame buffer error. The major one is about 3/4 down of the image, specially on action scenes. I get a "dented divisor line" where the two halfs are clearly in different frames (can't figure wich one in the future or the past).

As an image says more than a thousand words (specially with my poor english):

Is this any know issue? I've been looking into the kodi configs but no luck fixing it 'till now.

Yes that's a known issue for videos in 24 and 25 Hz. Depending on the version of my Image you're currently using (Wheezy or Jessie) there are a few things you can try to fix this.
Add the user odroid to the group video and restart the system: adduser odroid video

If that doesn't help you can try to lock playback of Kodi to always 60 Hz instead of switching to 24 or 25 Hz.
If you're using my Debian Jessie image there should be an Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo application on the Desktop that has an option for this. If you're using Debian Wheezy, contact me and I'll give you the code you need for this.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 pm

I'm currently at work but already added the odroid user to the group video.
I'll test it when back home.

As I said I managed to use the Jessie version and will give the 60Hz trick a go if the above fails.

Thanks so much for your help
will_santana

Unread postby will_santana » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Just to let you know

1 - adding the odroid user to the video group crashed the GUI and forced the / partition to be mounted RO. Even changing it to RW and removing the user from the group does not bring the GUI back. Luckily I had a backup of the entire SD Card just before that.

2 - the 60Hz trick did the job. No more tearing. I've installed aeon mq7 skin with no problem. After a reboot for fixing some OMV question, no GUI again. Guess it's not related to the skin 'cause I can't even see the debian desktop after the text boot up. Again the root partition mounted as read only and even OMV services fail to start

Looking into the Xorg logs I get :

[   887.793] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

And yes, the file is not there.
Don't know what the config does, but it have the same effect as adding the odroid user to the video group. I have no issues no matter how many reboots if I don't mess with both

Thank you so much
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:43 pm

will_santana wrote:Just to let you know

1 - adding the odroid user to the video group crashed the GUI and forced the / partition to be mounted RO. Even changing it to RW and removing the user from the group does not bring the GUI back. Luckily I had a backup of the entire SD Card just before that.

Probably a very bad coincident since one has nothing to do with the other. Adding odroid to the video group has no change on partition or file system. It only gives the user access to /dev/fb0 which allows different programs to read the current Hz of the monitor and with that enable better vsync.. The issues you saw are unrelated to the video group and might be caused by something different.

will_santana wrote:2 - the 60Hz trick did the job. No more tearing. I've installed aeon mq7 skin with no problem. After a reboot for fixing some OMV question, no GUI again. Guess it's not related to the skin 'cause I can't even see the debian desktop after the text boot up. Again the root partition mounted as read only and even OMV services fail to start

That's why I said above one has nothing to do with the other. Are you using a SD card or eMMC? Some SD cards are known to have some issues. In the past I even had some SD cards where the filesystem got damaged just by booting.
Make sure you have all updates installed, especially Kernel, which may help to reduce SD card related issues.
If that doesn't help, consider buying a SanDisk Ultra SD card (not Extreme or Ultra Plus). They are known to work very stable.

will_santana wrote:Looking into the Xorg logs I get :

[   887.793] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/dri/armsoc_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

And yes, the file is not there.
Don't know what the config does, but it have the same effect as adding the odroid user to the video group. I have no issues no matter how many reboots if I don't mess with both

Thank you so much

Don't worry about the error in the Xorg log. That's normal and can be ignored. It's not really an issue.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 am

Hi, Meveric

I'm actyally running on a class 10 sandisk SD. Got a couple of others laying around and I'll give'em a go.
I'm running the latest updates and kernel on Jessie version and had no problems before changing that.

I got a couple things in mind to test. Be right back.

[]s
will_santana

Unread postby Pirate » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:28 am

Question how do you remove the keyring password that pops up every time you start up the device thank you!
Pirate

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:10 pm

delete the files under /home/odroid/.gnome2/keyrings/ please note, that you might have to setup new WLAN connection after that. Also make sure to enter NO password when it wants to create a new keyring, or you end up with the same problem again.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Finally back with some info.

The partition problem wasn't caused by the changes in the user or drivers just as you said before. I had too much going around at the same time. The issue was caused by doing the change AFTER a partition resing with GParted live CD.
I need a little 1GB partition on the SD to my snapraid config and as trying to do it just before noticing the tearing. I just started all over again and it worked just fine. No resing now, but no problem too.

Adding the odroid user to the video group solved the tearing.

One thing I've been noticing is that just after a reboot I can see the first video without any issues. But after kodi finishes that and goes back to it's GUI, the next video I try to see gets audio and video off sync (it seems to be the video a little too slow). It's not related to any background processes (double checked it).
A reboot let me see the video just fine. Haven't tryied the setup trick yet to see if it solves the issue. Probably be doing some more tests tomorrow night.

About stability, 'till now it's rock solid. The uptime right now is 1 day and 12hs and not more due to the reboots.

I've messed around with the emulation part but not much. Tryied with mame but no luck (guess it's related to my ROMs and lack of experience with emulatos in the last years.

[]s
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:50 am

will_santana wrote:I've messed around with the emulation part but not much. Tryied with mame but no luck (guess it's related to my ROMs and lack of experience with emulatos in the last years.

[]s

MAME is very complicated and not rock solid. If you use CPS1 / CPS2 or NeoGeo you probably can get most games to run. Other MAME games is more of a luck thing, a lot work a lot do not. There are so many different MAME cores (I think I have 5-8 different MAME emulators in total).
Other emulators should work much better.
meveric

Unread postby will_santana » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:44 am

Just for feedback

Did some tests yesterday.
The out of sync problem I've experienced with the odroid user added to the video group seems to be related to some kind of buffer. Pausing or waiting some time solves. But eventualy it drops some frames and tearing shows during playback.
Fixing the playback to 60Hz via setup fixes it all. About 10 episodes of multiple series after that, no other change and the playback was smooth every single time.

I'll probably workaround the extra partition I need using an old 4Gb flashdrive I have.

So I'll be finally able to get back to the cloud backup and emulation tests

Thank you so much once again.
will_santana

Unread postby will_santana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 am

Just more feedback.
After some time learning how to configure the input of my controllers I was finally able to play around with the emulators

I played some PSP games with the expected issues minimized with some frame skipping, N64 (just sound issues), NES, SNES and Sega Master System (my childhood console) perfectly.

I had the problem with the / partition being mounted RO again without any changes but this time, dismounting it and mount it manually as RW made the GUI be loaded. Rebooting cracked it again. So I manually added the mount point to the /etc/fstab and it solved the issue for good. There wasn't any entry for it. Don't know if was removed or a need due to some other software. As Openmedia Vault plays with the fstab for some reasons, I guess it was the trouble maker.

So far, so good. Almost 6 days uptime, everything automated and working, kodi working flawlessly (3D still to be tested), OMV stable, emulation running as expected... I guess I finally made it to the point I wanted.

Thank you so much for all your support and the amazing distro.

I'll probably start working in some beta case to the system, but I'll open a thread for it.

[]s
will_santana

Unread postby meveric » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:50 am

will_santana wrote:I had the problem with the / partition being mounted RO again without any changes but this time, dismounting it and mount it manually as RW made the GUI be loaded. Rebooting cracked it again. So I manually added the mount point to the /etc/fstab and it solved the issue for good. There wasn't any entry for it. Don't know if was removed or a need due to some other software. As Openmedia Vault plays with the fstab for some reasons, I guess it was the trouble maker.

The image should by default have root and boot partition in /etc/fstab, or else you get the issue with the RO filesystem. So it's probably the fault of OMV that it was empty.

will_santana wrote:So far, so good. Almost 6 days uptime, everything automated and working, kodi working flawlessly (3D still to be tested), OMV stable, emulation running as expected... I guess I finally made it to the point I wanted.

Thank you so much for all your support and the amazing distro.

I'll probably start working in some beta case to the system, but I'll open a thread for it.

[]s

Glad you like it and thanks for the feedback, it helps to improve things :)
meveric

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:37 am

This is godlike!! thank you for such a creation!! I have a question.... is it possible to boot up android from Gamestation? or could this be used with the universal multiboot??
sketch2k278

Unread postby meveric » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:52 am

I don't know, I don't use android, nor multiboot, so I can't answer that question.
meveric

Unread postby Traiklin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:52 am

Got a weird problem, I can launch NES, Linux, N64, GBA, Genesis and Sega 32x but when I try to run SNES it starts to launch it but then just maximises xbmc right away.

NES did the same thing but I don't know what happened to make it work again. I updated everything as the instructions said.
Traiklin

ODROIDs: UX4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:05 am

Exit XBMC/Kodi and open a terminal... type "kodi" in the terminal to start kodi.
Go to your SNES games start it..
After you're back in Kodi, exit kodi and check the output of the Terminal.
You might be able to see what's the issue with SNES if you read the output on the terminal.
meveric

Unread postby Traiklin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 pm

now it just loaded fine
Traiklin

ODROIDs: UX4

Unread postby tipoto » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 am

Did anybody test the new kernel 4.9.X with OGST and have some feedback?
I guess it's still way too early to consider an "official" update with it, but I'm curious to have an idea of how buggy and problematic it is to use this new kernel in its current version (4.9.13).
tipoto

languages_spoken: French, English & Spanish
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby meveric » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 pm

AreaScout already tested it. I have 4.9er Kernels build and they can be found here: http://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/
There's an issue when you boot from SD cards, the boot device is no longer always mmcblk0 but can be mmcblk1 if you boot from SD card, therefore /etc/fstab needs to be altered for the bootfs.
Best use UUID= instead of /dev/mmcblk0p1.
From what I've read, there seems to be some issues with HMP and Alpha channel. Some applications have wrong colors. Other application such as ffmpeg are much slower now.
3D performance is nearly the same, although it seems under 4.9 Mali 14p0 always respects vsync.. wonder if that's due to changed permissions on /dev/fb0 or not.

I won't update Kernel 3.10 to 4.9 for everyone until it's actually stable and doesn't cause slowdowns. I don't want to loose performance on the cost of (probably unnecessary) better hardware support.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:52 am

Hopefully these bugs will be fixed soon. I took a quick look at the threads about the Kernel 4.9.X and I saw all the problems you were talking about. These threads seem to be very active though, which is a good thing, I'm sure we will see some fixes soon!
I agree that it doesn't make sense to update your image as long as the kernel is still unstable and has performance issues.
I don't have time to do some tests now, but in a few weeks from now I should be able to give this kernel a try, I'm curious to see how far we are from getting a usable version... I would be so glad to finally leave those good old 3.10 kernels ;)
tipoto

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:11 am

im not sure if anyone had this issue as well, trying to see through 20 pages of replies was difficult so if there's an answer already, I apologize and now to my issue.
why is that when I try to watch a video on youtube the sound of the video gives off an extremely high pitch hissing like noise? is there a way to fix that?
sketch2k278

Unread postby meveric » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 am

are you using browser or XBMC/Kodi?
meveric

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:50 am

browser, kodi plays fine
i've also experience screen tearing when playing the nes emulator
sketch2k278

Unread postby meveric » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:09 am

Tearing is a known issue, but should be fixed (or at least reduced) with the next update.
You can try adding odroid to the video group in the meantime.

browser probably depends on the audio driver you use. Pulseaudio or ALSA both "should" work fine, but might not always be.
You can also check /etc/chromium.d/default and remove the sound option there, some people said it's working better without. Maybe it helps, but I'm not sure.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:26 am

meveric wrote:Tearing is a known issue, but should be fixed (or at least reduced) with the next update.

Is there anything in particular that you are planning to do or implement in the next update? As you know, the tearing is my first "enemy" on the XU4, anything talking about fixing it or even just reducing it, gets all my attention :D
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:58 am

The next image is already done and uploaded/uploading..
tearing is "ok" but not solved.
r14p0 driver respects vsync to a certain degree if you add the user to the video group.
I found a workaround for N64 and moonlight slowness.
Announcement will come the next couple days. PM me if you can't wait ;)
meveric

Unread postby odroid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:34 am

Yes, the vsync issue could be fixed by adding the current user id into the video group.
We tested it with Retro-arch in this great OGST image when we made an Arcade joystick box fox XU4.
http://magazine.odroid.com/wp-content/u ... df#page=23

I hope we can try the improved N64 emulator soon. :)
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby meveric » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:04 am

the emulator itself is not improved.
For N64 and moonlight I need to BREAK the vsync support in order to make them work correctly.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 am

meveric wrote:The next image is already done and uploaded/uploading..
tearing is "ok" but not solved.
r14p0 driver respects vsync to a certain degree if you add the user to the video group.
I found a workaround for N64 and moonlight slowness.
Announcement will come the next couple days. PM me if you can't wait ;)

Awesome! I have been waiting for months (even 2 years I think) for a fix for the tearing, so I think I can wait a few more days, I don't want to rush you at all ;)
I know you said the level of tearing is "ok" now, which means it's still there a little bit, but I will be happy with any improvement :)
odroid wrote:We tested it with Retro-arch in this great OGST image when we made an Arcade joystick box fox XU4.
http://magazine.odroid.com/wp-content/u ... df#page=23

Yes I read your article about your arcade joystick, I was very interested about it since I'm currently working on my own arcade joystick too!
Here are some screenshots of the project in 3D:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2uCL ... 21mN0dEc1U

I'm using acrylic sheets and, unless I made some mistakes in my plans, in about 2 or 3 weeks I should be done building it... I will post some pics and maybe a video to show the joystick in action :)
tipoto

Unread postby odroid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm

Nice 3D modeling indeed! :o
Much better and comfortable button layout.
Please share some pics and let us know how you make the interface(via USB? or direct GPIO?) when it is ready.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby tipoto » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Sure! :)
It's not the right topic for that but... I'm using an IPAC2 connected via USB, hopefully I won't have any problem with it. I only did one simple connection test and it worked nicely with OGST, but I hope everything will work as expected eventually. I'm also using an arduino connected to another USB port (this time on a USB hub) and an RGB module, both together control all the RGB LEDs inside the buttons, with this system I can decide the color of each LED individually in real time :)
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:58 am

Update 3:

Kernel:
  • Updated Kernel and headers to 3.10.104+ (with mali r14p0 support and black screen fix)
  • Kernel now supports fstrim (increases livetime and speed of SD/eMMC)
  • Should have support for more SD cards

Kodi:
  • Exchanges XBMC with Kodi 16.1 although XBMC has less issues, Kodi has the better support
  • Added DVD support to Kodi, previous versions didn't work due to driver issues.
  • Added support for new emulators and Rom Collections

Changes:
  • Updated Debian Jessie to it's latest version
  • Updated Chromium to version 53 (new packages available via apt-get)
  • Updated Retroarch to version 1.3.6 (with OpenGL ES 3.x support)
  • Updated GPU drives to r14p0
  • Updated Kodi starter scripts
  • Updated retroarch-cores-good and retroarch-cores-bad packages, which are now only meta-packages
  • Updated all libretro cores which are now separated packages (see new features)
  • Updated configuration for Emulationstation
  • Updated configuration for attract mode
  • Updated configuration for Rom Collection Browser
  • Updated all launchers
  • Replaced chromium-browser-odroid package build from Ubuntu sources with "chromium" build from Debian sources
  • Replaced clementine with clementine-odroid (Clementine version 1.3.1)
  • Replaced fmsx core with bluemsx core in retroarch for better joystick support
  • Replaced meteor (GBA) core with mgba core in retroarch for better compatibility and performance
  • Replaced fs-uae-gles with fs-uae (see new features)
  • Replaced virtualjaguar libretro core with optimized standalone emulator (see new features)
  • Replaced yabause libretro core with optimized standalone emulator (see new features)
  • Replaced hatari libretro core with standalone emulator (see new features)
  • Installed libnfs8 to connect to NFS shares via Kodi
  • Installed virtualjaguar-odroid (ATARI Jaguar Emulator)
  • Installed residualvm-odroid (interpreter for Monkey Island 4, Grim Fandango and Mysth 3)
  • Installed easyrpg-player-odroid (interpreter for RPGMaker 2000 and 2003 games)
  • Installed kodi-addons-odroid (for PVR Addons, ScreenSafer and other Addons)
  • Installed mpv and set it as default player for videos
  • Installed yabause-odroid (Sega Saturn Emulator)
  • Installed dolphin-emu-odroid (Nintendo Wii/GC Emulator)
  • Installed hatari-odroid (Atari ST Emulator)
  • Installed moonlight-embedded (NVIDIA GameStreaming)
  • Installed atari800-odroid (Atari 8bit computers and A5200 console Emulator)
  • Installed gcdemu and it's dependencies (Virtual CD emulator), required for Sega Saturn
  • Added support for Amiga 1200 (see new features)
  • Added support for Amiga CD32 (see new features)
  • Added support for CPS3 ROMS (see new features)
  • Added support for EasyRPG (see new features)
  • Added support for ResidualVM games (see new features)
  • Added support for Atrai800 (see new features)
  • Added support for moonlight (see new features)
  • Added a new launcher for Amiga CD32 games
  • Added a new launcher for Amiga 1200 games
  • Added a new launcher for CPS 3 ROMS
  • Added a new launcher for EasyRPG player
  • Added a new launcher for ResidualVM
  • Added a new launcher for Dolphin Emu
  • Added a new launcher for Atari 800
  • Added a script for fstrim which is done daily if supported
  • Iceweasel was replaced with FireFox (due to Debian policies)
  • Kodi toggle with CTRL + ALT + K (see new features)

Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue with wrong default applications
  • Fixed setting on gnome-mplayer (set default video renderer to xvmc which seems to work "somewhat")
  • Fixed an issue with fs-uae where all games would share the same save states.
  • Fixed some group permissions for odroid user
  • Fixed an issue where NeoGeo games were shown as MSX in EmulationStation
  • Installed qt5-xu3-fix (QT5 fix for XU3/XU4 devices)
  • Installed libsdl1.2debian from my repository (fixes a graphical glitch on XU3/XU4 if you change resolution)
  • Added a cron job which can start the update manager (only if the user is in front of the ODROID)
  • Added a fix to address some vsync issues in some games/programs/emulators (see new features/Known issues)
  • Changed /etc/fstab to use UUID for bootfs rather than /dev/mmcblk0p1 (necessary for Kernel 4.9.x)

Config Changes:
  • Added new config files for fs-uae (optimized)
  • Updated all starter scripts to match new cores path as well as some other optimizations
  • Updated DreamCast starter to auto detect joysticks
  • Re-enabled threadded video for all retroarch cores (improves performance)
  • Changed config for desmume core to use right analog stick to emulate mouse pointer
  • Activated "rumble" support for mupen64plus core
  • Configured caja to not open new media or ask what to do if a CD-ROM or USB stick is inserted

New Features:
Kodi Toggle:
Kodi toggle is a small script I wrote to quickly start and end Kodi. If you're are on Desktop and Kodi is not running CTRL + ALT + K will start Kodi.
If you are in Kodi and press CTRL + ALT + K, Kodi will be forced closed. The last one is usefull on times when Kodi is "hanging" when you try to exit it (for example if you use CEC).

Added Nintendo Wii and GameCube support:
Using dolphin emu allows for playing of Nintendo Wii and GameCube games.
This is an older version of Dolphin Emu, which still supported armhf as an architecture.
Newest versions of Dolphin only support arm64. Also Dolphin requires OpenGL ES 3.x which makes the XU3/XU4 currently the only ODROID boards this emulator will work on.
Still since most optimizations require a 64bit processor, this emulator is still quite slow, it's nice for a little show off, but games are barely playable.
2D games/scenes are rather fast and full speed, but 3D elements are very slow. So don't expect much from this emulator, as I said, it's mostly for showing off.

Added Amiga 1200 support:
Amiga 1200 (AGA) support is added through fs-uae.
This was added to allow you to play the graphical enhanced AGA games of the Amiga which run best on a Amiga 1200.
Settings were optimized and the emulator should work for Exynos 4 and Exynos 5 board from HardKernel (ODROID X2/U2/U3/XU3/XU4).
If you overclock your ODROID X2/U2/U3 to 2GHz most games should run full (or nearly full) speed (tested with Banshee AGA).
The C0/C1/C1+ is currently unable to handle Amiga 1200 at all.
This is most likely a limitation of the emulator. There are other emulators such as uae4arm which give better performance, but fs-uae generally has the better features.
ROMS go into /home/odroid/ROMS/AMIGA1200 either as .adf or .adz disk image files, or as .zip files including .adf or .adz files (for games with multiple disk).
This requires amiga-os-310-a1200.rom Kickstart file in /home/<USER>/FS-UAE/Kickstarts/

Added Amiga CD32 support:
Same as Amiga 1200 but with Amiga CD32 images. (Also tested with Banshee CD32).
ROMS go into /home/odroid/ROMS/AMIGACD32 either as .iso .cue or .zip file including .cue, .iso files (will be extracted to /tmp so make sure you have enough space)
This requires amiga-os-310-cd32.rom and amiga-ext-310-cd32.rom Kickstart files in /home/<USER>/FS-UAE/Kickstarts/

Additional infos about Amiga emulation:
I've replaced the old fs-uae-gles emulator (a hack to use GLESv1 instead of OpenGL) with the current version of fs-uae from upstream project.
It uses gl4es (Wrapper for OpenGL -> OpenGL ES) to work in the same way. It's a more advanced version of the fs-uae emulator, and might see some arm dynamic recompiler in the future.
I've created 3 config templates under .config/fs-uae for A500+, A1200 and CD32. These config files are used as templates and are copied once you start a game.
This fixes an issue with save states, which were shared in the past but now each game has their own save states.
I also changed the accuracy from 1 to 0 on all templates, this should boost speed of the emulator quite a bit, on the cost of some compatibility.
There's also an option to use -1 instead to boost speed even more, but some games won't work anymore (tested with Banshee AGA/CD32).
Save States are stored under /home/<USER>/Documents/FS-UAE/Save States/.
FS-UAE is a very complex emulator, it also allows to use HardDisk files so if you want to explore the capabilities of this emulator I encourage you to check out the options on their WebSite to create own configs.
L1 and R1 on XBox 360 controller should double as left and right mouse buttons, since some games require this to skip demos and such.

Added CPS3 support:
Similar to the CPS1 and CPS2 there's now a separate core for the CPS3 as well. It's very small since there are only a few games for it and therefor saves a lot of ressources.
CPS3 games, don't seem to need any BIOS, but are very picky with the roms itself:
Check your rom files; if they contain for example files like: jojo-simm1.0 jojo-simm1.1 sfiii-simm1.0 sfiii-simm1.1 then they are fine. If instead they contain files like 10, 30 40, 90 etc. then these roms won't work.
You could still place the same ROMS in the FBA or MAME folder and they probably run as well, but the cores are much bigger and use more ressources (~300KB CPS3 libretro core vs ~130MB MAME libretro core).

Added EasyRPG support:
EasyRPG is a reimplementation of RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003 engine allowing to play these games on modern system including ODROIDs.
For this to work copy the games you want to play in the folder /home/<USER>/ROMS/EasyRPG/
Games should have a "Game-Folder" inside which is the RPG_RT.ini and other game files.
ONLY RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 games are currently supported.
Please Note: Some games require RTP 2000 and RTP 2003 package to be installed: http://tkool.jp/support/download/rpg2000/rtp and http://tkool.jp/support/download/rpg2003/rtp
These packages are for "free" but are not allowed to redistribute, so I can't include them into the image.
You can download them and install them on a Windows PC or use WINE to install them on a Linux PC. Copy the RTP folder over to /home/<USER>/ROMS/EasyRPG/RTP2000 and /home/<USER>/ROMS/EasyRPG/RTP2003 if needed. The path is already included in the starter, so make sure you name the folders correctly.

Added ResidualVM support:
I've added a build of ResidualVM which was optimized by @ptitSeb to use OpenGL ES 2.0 for hardware scaling and drawing.
ResidualVM is a engine similar to ScummVM but only supports some 3D games.
The games that are officially supported are: Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island (Monkey Island 4) and Myst 3 Exile.
There was work done for The Longest Journey as well, but a lot of features are still missing.

Added Atari ST support:
I've added Hatari emulator for Atari ST, STE, TT and Falcon computers.
A new folder /home/<USER>/ROMS/ATARI/Atari ST/ has been created in which you can place roms with the endings: .st, .stx, .img, .rom, .raw, .ipf, .ctr, .msa, .dim
The emulator requires a bios file called tos.img in the folder /home/<USER>/.hatari/. I provide something called "EmuTOS" which is an opensource remake of the original Atari BIOS.
And can be found here: http://emutos.sourceforge.net/en/
Since these are computers they often require the input of keyboard or mouse commands, therefore I mapped the mouse to the right analog stick of your gamepad (XBox360 by default) and used the left shoulder button for left mouse click.
The button A is mapped for fire, B is mapped as "Space", which is often alternative fire (for example in Turrican), the D-Pad is direction keys on a gamepad.
There are many different options for the emulator I go by default with a Atari Mega ST with 4MB RAM and MMU. I found this was working for many games, but probably not for all.
Sadly I'm rather new to Atari and don't know if this is the best default or not. You can change the settings by pressing F12 on the keyboard.

VirtualJaguar:
VirtualJaguar is a Atari Jaguar emulator and much faster and more compatible than the current virtualjaguar libretro core.
Thanks to a lot of optimization from mostly @ptitSeb and myself this emulator runs rather well on the XU3/XU4. The U3 is also able to play some games nicely (but not all).
Overclocking your ODROID X2/U2/U3 to 2GHz should give you decent performance on many games, but even with 1704 MHz it should work fine for some games (tested with Rayman).
Although I created a version for C1 as well it's probably not worth trying.

Yabause:
Yabause is a Sega Saturn emulator and replaces the libretro core (with the same name).
It's faster and highly optimized thanks to @ptitSeb and myself. It has two differnt fronends Qt and GTK, while I prefer and setup Qt, GTK works as well, and I found at least one game that only works with GTK, but there are more games that only work under the Qt version, so I stick with that, it's also slightly faster. It uses @ptitSeb's gl4es for scaling which makes it quite fast.
The emulator has very high demands, and might only work on the XU3/XU4, it might work on the U3 if you overclock it, but I wouldn't count on it (C1 don't even try).
I've created a start script that uses cdemu in the background to mount images, since many images for the Sega Saturn come with audio tracks which could not be played otherwise.
The emulator will use /dev/sr0 (first CD device) for the games, if you have a CD-Rom connected, this might cause issues.
You can change settings by pressing CTRL + S in the emulator. Here you can adapt controller config which is currently mapped for a XBox 360 controller.
Please note, that even on the XU3/XU4 this emulator won't always run full speed.
If the controller doesn't work to exit the emulator, you can press CTRL + Q to do so.

Atari 800 support:
Atari 800 is an emulator for Atari 8 bit computers 400, 800, 1200XL, 600XL, 800XL, 130XE, XEGS as well as the Atari 5200 console.
Supported file extensions are .a52 .bas .bin .car .xex .atr .xfd .dcm .atr.gz .xfd.gz
The emulators requires the following BIOS files which need to be placed in /home/<USER/ROMS/
ATARIOSA.ROM (BIOS for Atari 400/800 PAL),
ATARIOSB.ROM (BIOS for Atari 400/800 NTSC),
ATARIXL.ROM (BIOS for Atari XL/XE OS),
5200.rom (BIOS for the Atari 5200),
5200a.rom (optional),
ATARIBAS.ROM (BIOS for the BASIC interpreter)
The emulator supports OpenGL for some effects, which I use throug gl4es from @ptitSeb
I also added a config for Antimicro to support XBox360 controller. (SELECT = SELECT, XBox Key = OPTION, Start = START, A = FIRE, Left Analog Button = Exit, D-Pad = Movement)
The emulator has it's own joystick support, but I found it very unsatisfying and inaccurate since it's using the analog stick for movement and D-Pad is used as fire, therefore I disabled joystick in my start script and use antimicro and keyboard controlls instead. (Num Block 4,5,6,8 = Movement, right ctrl = FIRE, F2 = SELECT, F3 = OPTION, F4 = START, F9 = EXIT)
You can use F1 to configure the emulator if needed.

Moonlight NVIDIA GameStreaming support:
I've preinstalled moonlight-embedded which can be used if you have a Nvidia GeForce 660 or higher to stream games from your PC to your ODROID. This allows you to play your games on TV, even with controllers and such.
I also preinstalled Luna which is a Kodi addon that allows you to use Kodi as a launcher for your Nvidia GameStreaming games. Together with scrapper for the games.

VSYNC fix:
I added the user to the video group. The video group has access to /dev/fb0 the framebuffer device that draws what's on the screen.
This is good, cause it allows for vsync since now programs know what frequency the TV/Monitor is running on and can adjust accordingly.
This reduces (removes) alot of the tearing issues on the XU3/XU4 especially with 2D sidescollers and platformers.
Sadly some programs have major issues with this information. Mupen64plus for example will always run too slow. Games that should run on 50 FPS (PAL games) will run only on 40 FPS, if your TV/Monitor runs on 60Hz.
If your TV/Monitor runs on 50 Hz instead it will be even less and the game runs only in 32 FPS. Something is really wrong here.
Same goes for moonlight you will have delays of up to 15 seconds. Which is unusable in 1080p60 Hz. Only 720p@30 Hz will work correctly.
I've wrote a script and added entries to for sudo to allow this script to run by the user.
This script will alter permissions for /dev/fb0 so the group video has no longer access to the information of this device.
With that both N64 and moonlight are working fine again.
Other programs might need this as well, if you encounter speed issues with other programs/games let me know, and I will try to adjust the start for these programs.

New libretro cores for retroach:
I've updated all cores for retroarch and added some new as already mentioned above. Many cores were renamed by the developers and I cleaned out cores that were double or renamed.
I also splitted all cores in individual packages rather than having one huge packge (retroarch-cores-good and retroarch-cores-bad). The old packages are now meta packages for the cores.
This allows me to update single cores rather than updating the entire packge all the time.
I also updated my build process and increased performance of most cores. Genereally I saw an increase of performance between 5~10% depending on the core.
Most of the cores this won't matter, but some cores can benefit from this.
4do core performance nearly increased by 20% due to better optimization, where when you use a XU3/XU4 this means most games should now work close to full speed.
PCFX performance also increased over 21% which means the game should run very nice and smooth now.
TyrQuake core increased performance about 13% which allows for steady gameplay at a high 1280x800 resolution on the XU3/XU4.
virtualjaguar core increased performance around 40% which sounds great, but the core is far from being full speed, therefore I use the standalone emulator now, which has much better performance, thanks to some heavy optimization from @ptitSeb.
The biggest step forward is the picodrive core. Although working perfectly fine in the past, it never had dynamic recompiler working. I was now able to activate it, and I can say it's very hard to track the increase of the performance, but it's probably over 140% faster than before, means it's more than twice as fast. This allows for very good Sega32x emulation, which was somewhat laggy in the past, especially on slow devices such as the ODROID C1 which weren't able to play Sega32x games, this should now be possible.
Recently there were a lot of improvements on the libretro front and I will probably update cores soon again, or maybe switch out some cores. There are new cores for N64 which may work much better than the old ones and other stuff I want to look into. So stay tuned.

======================================================================

Not sure if I missed something, probably some BIOS files that I forgot to mention or something. It's sometimes hard to keep everything in check.

Anyway, currently only the new image has all the new features, updates for "older" images will be available soon, but since these updates affect all ODROID GameStation Turbo images (ODROID X,X2,U2/U3,XU3/XU4,C0/C1/C1+) I have to be a little careful with the updates and make sure every board has access to the updates.
This will take a couple more days, but I hope I can deliver soon.
The other boards, won't get a new image though, when the update process works, there's no need for that. For the XU3/XU4 it made sense, since it used an older Kernel which had more issues with SD cards and therefore the image wouldn't even start. So having a new base image makes sense, but not for the other boards, where the Kernel hasn't changes in years.

Also: I hereby drop the support of the old Debian Wheezy image, since Debian Wheezy is very outdated, and even Debian Jessie will soon be "old-stable", since Debian Stretch is around the corner.

After all tasks are done, I might start working on a C2 image, but no promises yet, I will also work on update cores, emulators and frontends more frequently now that I can updated them all separately from each other.

At some point I will have to start working on Debian Stretch, but I've already seen a lot of issues and it could be quite hard to get a proper image for Debian Stretch, so don't expect anything right after Debian Stretch is released.

========================================================

As always I'm looking forward to feedback and suggestions for improvements.
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am

This is awesome!!!
I will wait for the update system to be ready ;) Even though I will have some work to do to update properly my over customized system, I'm so exited to see how it's going to run after this update! :P

I have 2 questions:
- Did you also update Attract-Mode to the latest version 2.2.1?
- I don't remember if we have it already in the old cores, but do we have Daphne somewhere?

Thank you so much for all the great work! Also I'm glad you added a bunch of missing systems, especially the Atari's ones.
tipoto

Unread postby meveric » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:03 pm

tipoto wrote:This is awesome!!!
I will wait for the update system to be ready ;) Even though I will have some work to do to update properly my over customized system, I'm so exited to see how it's going to run after this update! :P

I have 2 questions:
- Did you also update Attract-Mode to the latest version 2.2.1?

I think currently it's still 2.2.0 but I can make an update, no biggy :)
tipoto wrote:- I don't remember if we have it already in the old cores, but do we have Daphne somewhere?

Not yet, but I put it on my list, i can integrate it through updates one it's done and working :)
meveric

Unread postby tipoto » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Sounds great! Thanks again! :D
tipoto

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am

3 things....
1st, thanks for the wonderful update

2nd would be wise to install the update from below if it's a fresh install of the latest version?
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

3rd every now and again when I plug in xu4 it would stay on this screen for a very long time..... any particular as to why does it do that?
http://imgur.com/jws1CA0
sketch2k278

Unread postby Finch106 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 pm

I just can't seem to get this image loaded. Once it loads, it boots to Kodi, and I cancel because I need to apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade. I have a warning that i have 150+mb remaining, and to check what I should remove. I ignore that, and try to run the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade in Mate Terminal, and it locks up the system. After waiting a minute or two, I pull power and plug power, and gets stuck in the same place as sketch1k278, and will not move beyond that no matter how many times I pull power and try again. What am I doing wrong?
Finch106

Unread postby meveric » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 pm

sketch2k278 wrote:3 things....
1st, thanks for the wonderful update

Thanks, I always try to put my best into it.
sketch2k278 wrote:2nd would be wise to install the update from below if it's a fresh install of the latest version?
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

It's always good to do an update, there are constant changes, for example there's already a new Kernel 3.10.105 available, so yes, doing an upgrade is always a good thing.

sketch2k278 wrote:3rd every now and again when I plug in xu4 it would stay on this screen for a very long time..... any particular as to why does it do that?

Not sure, but it probably has nothing to do with the output you see.. such things you normally only see on the UART while it's hanging. Some tasks for example network, have an internal timeout of 90seconds before they continue, but as I said, you normally only see that with the UART. Would be interesting to know what it is though.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Finch106 wrote:I just can't seem to get this image loaded. Once it loads, it boots to Kodi, and I cancel because I need to apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade. I have a warning that i have 150+mb remaining, and to check what I should remove. I ignore that, and try to run the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade in Mate Terminal, and it locks up the system. After waiting a minute or two, I pull power and plug power, and gets stuck in the same place as sketch1k278, and will not move beyond that no matter how many times I pull power and try again. What am I doing wrong?

Ok, after you boot the system the first time it's "normal" that there's only about 150MB space, that is cause the image does an auto resize.
After the first boot you have to wait until the system reboots itself. This can take up to one or two minutes, depending on if you boot from eMMC or SD card. So just wait for a moment until the system reboots again.
After that it should automatically resize your rootfs to the full size of you SD/eMMC.
If you still get the message 150 MB space left on the second boot, that's probably cause the desktop boots faster than the resize of the SD card, but don't worry, exit Kodi and check with df -h and the rootfs should show full size.
If that's the case, you can start the apt-get update and everything.
meveric

Unread postby Finch106 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:33 am

I'll do this again with another SD card. The second reboot would show the same message, then trying to do anything would lock the entire system. Once power was plugged in, it'd stay on that text screen. I'll update when I run on a new Sandisk SD
Finch106

Unread postby bullghost » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

Hi,

sketch2k278 wrote:3 things....

3rd every now and again when I plug in xu4 it would stay on this screen for a very long time..... any particular as to why does it do that?

i have got same experience with that symthon with one of my microsdcard when i fresh copy the debian jessie image.
but if i clone from my other success booting microsdcard that have already include the
"apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade" update. it can boot successfully.
so i think you can try with other microsdcard.
bullghost

Unread postby sketch2k278 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:53 am

I've notice that with this update it doesn't hang on the 1st loading up screen as much as the previous version, so that's a good thing, thanks for the suggestion.
I do have another question though, in order to get the dreamcast running, im sure that would need the bios and a game image. my question is which folder would the bios and image go in? i've tried putting the image in the dreamcast rom folder but it didn't start up so im guessing that it was a bios issue.
sketch2k278

Unread postby jk_no23 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:40 pm

I have a bluetooth keyboard and a bluetooth dongle from odroid. Do I have to install some additional packages for XU4 in order to pair the keyboard? Is there a bluetooth GUI for Jessie?
jk_no23

Unread postby Finch106 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Finch106 wrote:I'll do this again with another SD card. The second reboot would show the same message, then trying to do anything would lock the entire system. Once power was plugged in, it'd stay on that text screen. I'll update when I run on a new Sandisk SD

It was my SD card. Samsung EVO 64GB. Now using a Sandisk 64GB UHS-1 and it works fine.
Finch106

PreviousNext

Return to Projects