XU4 Model for OpenSCAD

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

XU4 Model for OpenSCAD

Unread postby hominoid » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:40 am

I have been doing some work in OpenSCAD recently and wanted to share an Odroid XU4 model I created. I'm sure most are familiar with OpenSCAD but for those who are not, it's a great cross-platform scripting modeler that can be used for 3D design and virtual prototyping. As well as other OS & platforms, it is available for the Odroid XU4 from the Debian ARM repository but unfortunately not the Ubuntu ARM repository.

apt-get install openscad
XU4_PCBs.png
XU4_PCBs.png (34.15 KiB) Viewed 3358 times

**updated to version 1.1d** 4/14/2017
Odroid_XU4_Model.scad.txt
(19.84 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

odroid_xu4 ()
heatsink_stock()
heatsink_gold()
heatsink_northbridge()
heatsink_plate()
heatsink_adapter()
batt_holder()
uart_holder()
uart_strap()
fan_iso_pin()
fan()

For PCB dimensions and component layout the Hard Kernel PCB drawings were used for this model. Component outside dimensions were measured using digital calipers. Aesthetic representations were kept simple to keep compile and render times reasonable. SOC and support chip heights were taken from this post

As well as the basic PCB, 4 heat sinks can be selected by specifying the heat sink type while calling the XU4 module. 0 for none, 1 for stock, 2 for gold universal northbridge, 3 for a typical 40x40x25mm northbridge and 4 for a 40x40x2mm fixed mount plate. The heat sinks can also be called independent of the PCB assembly.
Heat Sink Selection.png
Heat Sink Selection.png (69.9 KiB) Viewed 3358 times

FYI, while developing this model I realized that the alignment for the PCB heat sink thru holes are off from the standard specifications for 40x40mm fixed mounting. The spacing along one axis is 10mm on hole center line from the edge, with 20mm between the mounting holes. The other axis is supposed to be 52mm but on the XU4, because of component layout, there is only 51.22mm. This is implied in the mechanical drawings if you subtract two dimensions. Not a problem in most cases but it might be in fixed thru bolt situations. It can significantly reduce the hole size in certain situations, as shown below. Always nice to know these things ahead of time. Mainly, I wanted to point out this is not a mistake in the model.
XU4_PCB_hole_align2ss.png
XU4_PCB_hole_align2ss.png (7.97 KiB) Viewed 3358 times

Even if you don't have a 3D printer, this is a great tool for trying different designs. You can always send the model out of house to be printed. I've heard that prices have come down. But, there is still value in using this tool even if your hand fabricating or trying to figure out other design issues.
Last edited by hominoid on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am, edited 8 times in total.
hominoid

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1

Re: XU4 Model for OpenSCAD

Unread postby odroid » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 am

Thank you for sharing a great 3D model.
I've added a link in WiKi for other users.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... eripherals
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby odroid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 am

odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby deafcat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 am

Oh dear God. Those Mechatronics ODROID cad models by AW are incredible. They are in fact reverse engineered right? Absolutely brilliant.

edit: he also did the C2 in similar detail, and numerous other SBCs and many electronic components: https://grabcad.com/library/odroid-c2-h ... gn-board-1

deafcat

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby moon.linux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 am

Pretty impressive both 3d models.
moon.linux

Unread postby Ameridroid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 am

Hominoid, we haven't used OpenSCAD before. How do you select only the parts necessary for the 3D print of the case for export as STL?
Ameridroid

Unread postby hominoid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:57 am

At the beginning of the file there are configuration parameters, look for:

XU4_MODEL = 1; // 0=print mode, 1=model mode, 2=print mode+standoffs, 3=accessories only

set it to 0,2 or 3 appropriately. By default it is set to 1 for model mode which is the assembled model.

Code: Select all
// **Configuration Parameters**
XU4_WIDTH = 107; // case width standard=83, case side fan=107
XU4_DEPTH = 59; // case depth
XU4_THICK = 2; // case thickness
XU4_CASE = 3; // 1=Horizontal 27mm, 2=Vertical 27mm, 3=Vertical Thick 40mm
XU4_HEATSINK_TYPE = 2; // 0=none, 1=Stock 13.5mm, 2=Gold 36mm 3=northbridge 40mm 4=40mm plate
XU4_HEATSINK_OPEN = 1; // 0=none, 1=normal, 2=large
XU4_EXT_FAN = 1; // for case fan and mount also set XU4_WIDTH=107
XU4_STANDOFF_HOLESIZE = 1.8; //mm
XU4_MODEL = 1; // 0=print mode, 1=model mode, 2=print mode+standoffs, 3=accessories only
hominoid

Unread postby phaseshifter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 am

@ ameridroid are you going to be offering hominoid`s cases and acc`s as per his plans ..i dont have access to a 3 d printer and hardware 4 me is hard to build ..lack of engineering work shop these days..
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!
phaseshifter

ODROIDs: N-1..c1+ ..c-2..xu3 lite,xu4...u-3..
u-2...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread postby Ameridroid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:57 am

phaseshifter wrote:@ ameridroid are you going to be offering hominoid`s cases and acc`s as per his plans ..i dont have access to a 3 d printer and hardware 4 me is hard to build ..lack of engineering work shop these days..

Yes, we are planning to offer it as a complete kit so the end user can simply assemble it and not have to source parts from multiple vendors. We'll let you know when we've printed up a prototype and put the kit on the website.
Ameridroid

Unread postby hominoid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:19 am

hominoid wrote:At the beginning of the file there are configuration parameters, look for:

set it to 0,2 or 3 appropriately. By default it is set to 1 for model mode which is the assembled model.

Apparently while cleaning up the code for posting I messed up a part of it. It has been fixed and re-posted. Sorry about that, I'm starting my test print of the modified design.
hominoid

Unread postby klunkerbus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 pm

I've created a v2 version of the openSCAD model. Rather than hijack this thread with details and any associated discussion, information on it has been posted in the new 'XU4 Model for OpenSCAD v2" thread at viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29065
klunkerbus

ODROIDs: XU4

Return to Hardware and peripherals