XU4 heatsink without cooler (or low noise)

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: XU4 heatsink without cooler (or low noise)

Unread postby stmicro » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm

@odroid and hardkernel people.
Do you have any plan to sell a varient XU4 model with preinstalled tall blue heatsink?
You can call it ODROID-XU4Q[quiet] or XU4S[silent].
I really hate the annoying noisy cooling fan.

Just add a down-clocking option in boot.ini for easier and simpler limiting option to configure the max clock to 1.7Ghz, 1.8Ghz, 1.9Ghz and 2Ghz.
I will be very happy even with 1.7Ghz since Exynos5422 A15 big eagle cores which outperform very slow 64bit A53 cores in the current ARM SBC world.
We need a QUIET XU4 certainly. :twisted:
stmicro

languages_spoken: english, chinese
ODROIDs: Many Odroids and Rpis.

Unread postby deafcat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 pm

The current throttling options seem to work perfectly. By default there is no issue with just installing the passive heatsink.

Temperature wise: CPU-Z reported 60C or thereabouts when I was testing. Actually checking the sink by hand throughout confirmed the temperatures are completely fine.. I could whip out the more advanced contact and infrared thermometer gear but it really isn't necessary here since I haven't the need to overclock this... It's definitely not getting saturated thermally in the sink so the cooling capacity is sufficient for passive.
deafcat

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread postby tmihai20 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:57 pm

rooted wrote:Switch to ondemand governor and you will shed about 8 to 10°C

I think I need to reinstall my OpenMediaVault. The governor is set as ondemand, but the cores are at their maximum frequencies. I wanted to upgrade to OMV 3.x.x anyway. I had pretty good performance and low temperature, but then I started messing with it to increase samba speed and I must have messed it up. I will look for a taller heatsink. I had issues with my last order and the order that actually went through did not have the taller heatsink. I am sure I can find one in my city somewhere, I just need to go there once. I will look for an anodized one.
Riddle me this, riddle me that
Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
I write (in Romanian mostly) on a blog (see my profile)
tmihai20

languages_spoken: english, french, italian, romanian
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby ChicoDeGoma » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 pm

deafcat wrote:
mad_ady wrote:Every cooler is metallic and thus electrically conductive. But some of them are galvanized (have a thin oxide layer) or are painted so they are an insulator.

They are made of aluminum and are anodized. Galvanizing is a process of zinc coating for steel which is definitely conductive. Steel is never used for electronic heatsinks (copper and aluminum are the top choices)

So this means any chipset heatsink made by aluminum will server since they came anodized? The only issue I will have then would be finding one which reachers the CPU.
ChicoDeGoma

languages_spoken: english

Unread postby deafcat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 pm

Yea you likely won't find an aluminum heatsink which isn't anodized so most will work. how well they work come down to four things that come to mind:

-how well the heatsink is in contact (flatness, surface quality)
-what kind of thermal interface (paste vs pad etc)
-how much thermal capacity does the sink have (size)
-how much dissipation the fin design has (surface area)

if you do retrofit another chipset heatsink, the type which will mount through the available holes in the PCB to hold down the sink firmly will be preferred (rather than just sticking on with thermal adhesive)
deafcat

Unread postby rooted » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am

With the blue heatsink you can easily reach critical temperatures, your testing is somehow faulty or HMP is not working.

What kernel are you running? What did you do to stress it while measuring temperatures? What temperature were you monitoring?

I wouldn't normally step on toes but claiming the XU4 can run full throttle passively is not true, it reaches 90°C in seconds when all cores are active and at full capacity.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby deafcat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 am

How do you have your heatsink installed? if you're getting processor sensor readings of 90C within seconds, then there is no way the heat is dissipating correctly. meaning it is not correctly in contact or the thermal interface solution is insufficient. That kind of rapid temp response is typically indicative of improper mount condition (or, saturation of a much-too-tiny sink for the application, but I don't think that is the case)

No idea if mine was "full throttle", I was testing in Android 6.0 with AnTuTu benchmark and hit the typical 60k score. Not a "hard" burn test like I'd subject a bigger processor to in overclocking applications. The only temp reading I had access to was thru CPU-Z, if there is more than one temp sensor I'd like to know more. I'm going to try Stability Test and CPUBurn for Android next to maybe give it more load and see how it responds (likely one of these will actually show me temps, frequencies and voltage so I can see how it's truly responding).

Edit: did further burn testing to see how much I could load it up: CPUBurn with 8 threads was able to push the processor to 100% load continuously and it takes several minutes before climbing from 50C to a peak of around 88C. which is to be expected with no fan actively cooling the sink. once above the 85C mark it starts to throttle back four of the cores which stabilizes the temperatures. After stopping the burn, the temps drop back to low 60s for idling, the heatsink is still quite warm though (it will take a while to passively cool off from that kind of loading). So, for a lot of everyday users this sink is going to be just fine passively... But if your "everyday use" consists of near 100% loads, then active cooling should be added. Too bad those little 40mm Noctua 5V fans are so expensive! makes sense to deliver additional power (7 volt minimum) to drive their 12V fan (or another high end 40mm silent fan, there are a couple other good manufacturers for these).

Edit again: I took the shop compressed air and cooled off the sink, brought it back down to 40C, and rose to 17 degrees above ambient (50C) and leveled out after idling for 15 minutes now. Looks like it would be easy to shave at least 10 degrees off idle with a low RPM fan, results for peak temperature drop under full load will depend on a number of factors (peak RPM, ambient conditions, case ventilation design etc). If I could guess I'd say with this sink and a good silent fan, it should be easy to keep those peak temps under 70C at full load. which would be very acceptable result!
deafcat

Unread postby rooted » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:24 am

My heatsink is mounted properly but it is using the TIM originally included when we beta'd the blue heatsink.

You underestimate how hot this CPU can get in seconds, it easily oversaturates the heatsink when the A15's are at 2ghz. The 2ghz step is basically a dumb stock overclock.

My usage is compiling code with 8 threads for extended amounts of time, otherwise it's mostly just SMB and tvheadend backend. I'm sure running Android with the A15's set at 1.8ghz max you can get away with minimal throttling when running anything on air.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby deafcat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 am

You should try out a fresh application of some good quality thermal compound. I've been overclocking for 20 years and I'm used to seeing that intense temp spike under load from mis-installation or bad TIM. how quickly the temps come up will also change as the thermal interface "burns in". Not saying this chip doesn't run hot (even if its nothing compared to some of my modified project chips), but it should take at least 2 minutes to reach 90+C temperatures internally, and that's based on testing with what I consider an inferior thermal compound (AS5). Unfortunately since the heatsink is solid aluminum (no copper/nickel surface) I can't test a higher performance product like Coollabratory... but I'm happy enough with these results for the time being.
deafcat

Unread postby tmihai20 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 am

I just did my first attempt at trying to lower the temperature of my XU4. I am now using an 80 mm fan, salvaged from an older case (probably), powered from USB 2 port as I have seen on the Internet. I already had cut an USB cable for another project, I had the USB type A end available (I used the miniUSB end for another purpose). I connected the red wire from the USB cable to the red wire from the fan and the black wire from the fan to the black wire of the USB cable. I made sure no wires are able to make contact so I do not short-circuit anything. It is always spinning at this point and it is blowing air towards the upper half of the case. It lowered temperatures with about 10C to 15C (Celsius degrees). My Xu4 was too hot for my taste all of a sudden, summer is coming with pretty high temperatures. The fan is hardly audible, the default fan is not spinning anymore with this setup. I wanted a quick and cheap setup for now. I am getting about 55 degrees Celsius when it is in normal load 40% overall CPU load (Deluge is downloading, I am transferring files via Samba), and about 45 degrees Celsius when it is just seeding and CPU usage is at its lowest.

I plan to take out the upper half and replace it with a sort of 3D printed upper half that would allow the fan to sit on and allow air to flow towards my XU4.
tmihai20

Unread postby odroid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:59 pm

We've started to sell XU4Q as a variant. It comes with a passive cooler instead of the original cooling fan.
Q means Quiet simply.

Thermal test result has been posted in this WiKi page too.
http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... k_xu4_xu4q

Conclusion:
If your application doesn't utilize all eight cores always, the passive cooling doesn't cause serious thermal throttling.
If your application really needs to use full resources, the passive cooling might decrease the performance around 10~20%.
If you don't like 10~20% of computing power loss, you have to choose the active cooling.
But I think many people want to use a Quiet mini computer hopefully.

Updated plastic cases are also available. It is much easier to make a squre hole for the tall heatsink.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Nice work, @odroid. Can you confirm if it fits inside the original cloudshell case?
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby odroid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 pm

mad_ady wrote:Nice work, @odroid. Can you confirm if it fits inside the original cloudshell case?

Good question. It seems not to fit. :(
I will check it tomorrow.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:40 am

Also, is the XU4Q the XU4 variant that was "leaked" in the last Odroid Magazine, or are you guys planning a different XU4 model to be released this year?
mad_ady

Unread postby rooted » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:52 am

mad_ady wrote:Also, is the XU4Q the XU4 variant that was "leaked" in the last Odroid Magazine, or are you guys planning a different XU4 model to be released this year?

I wish :)

It's an XU4 with the passive heatsink pre-installed.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby odroid » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:57 am

odroid wrote:
mad_ady wrote:Nice work, @odroid. Can you confirm if it fits inside the original cloudshell case?

Good question. It seems not to fit. :(
I will check it tomorrow.

It doesn't fit into the original Cloudshell. :(
Time to design a new Cloudshell for small low power server application with a passive cooler and UASP support.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Can the cloudshell case be cut with reasonable tools to make the cooler "come out"? I'm not sure - I'm not using the cloudshell, but asking for a friend
mad_ady

Unread postby odroid » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Acrylic cutter might work to cut the rectangular area out.
But I am not good at those kinds of skill either. :oops:
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby hominoid » Sat May 06, 2017 11:47 pm

mad_ady wrote:Can the cloudshell case be cut with reasonable tools to make the cooler "come out"? I'm not sure - I'm not using the cloudshell, but asking for a friend

A common tool I would try would be a hacksaw blade (in a holder or alone). Use one with as fine of teeth as you have. Drill holes in all 4 corners and cut in between. Start your kerf by pulling against the direction of the teeth so as not to catch and crack the plastic. Use very light pressure, don't force it and let the saw do the work. You might have to take several backstrokes to get a good start.
hominoid

ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1

Unread postby mad_ady » Sun May 07, 2017 1:19 am

Thanks for the tip hominid!
mad_ady

Unread postby wallace11 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 pm

wallace11

ODROIDs: UX-4

Unread postby beatwinthewave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:55 pm

20170606_133232.jpg
20170606_133232.jpg (310.85 KiB) Viewed 8107 times

I ordered a new eatsink with cooler and it is extremely silent. I can not hear him, I am very satisfied.

I found it here
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1-Set-Golden-DIY-NorthBridge-Heatsink-Chipest-Cooler-Radiator-40x38x36mm-w-40mm-Cooling-Fan-4020/32484716701.html
beatwinthewave

languages_spoken: english, français

Unread postby highend » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:27 am

Hi,

I received my XU4 today (from Pollin in Germany).

I've installed Debian Jessie on it (it comes preinstalled with Ubuntu which I don't like)
with the image in the first post from viewtopic.php?f=96&t=17542

I'm wondering...

Looking at the temps with
Code: Select all
cat /sys/devices/10060000.tmu/temp

the idle temps are around 60-64 degrees celsius.
With 0% processor load...

I've saw a few people in this thread that have
an idle temperature that's much lower than this...

Would it help (for the moment) to replace the thermal grease with a better one?

In the long run I'd like to replace the original heat sink + fan
with http://ameridroid.com/products/heat-sink-40x38x36
and on top of it http://ameridroid.com/products/fan-noct ... ltra-quiet
+ https://www.amazon.de/dp/B002CQU14A/

Should be the best choice, right?
highend

ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread postby hominoid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:19 am

I've saw a few people in this thread that have
an idle temperature that's much lower than this...

Would it help (for the moment) to replace the thermal grease with a better one?

Better thermal grease is always a plus but it is not going to get the temps where you want them. In general, I would recommend one that has 5w/m-k or better thermal conveyance and is non-conductive. I've used Antec Formula 6 (5.3w/m-k) and formula 7 (8.3w/m-k) with good results. If a manufacture doesn't say or is ambiguous, pass it up. Most are around 2.5w/m-k but I've seen plenty that are a lot less. I have not used the Noctua.
In the long run I'd like to replace the original heat sink + fan
with http://ameridroid.com/products/heat-sink-40x38x36
and on top of it http://ameridroid.com/products/fan-noct ... ltra-quiet
+ https://www.amazon.de/dp/B002CQU14A/

Should be the best choice, right?

It is a great heatsink but does have a minor issue in that it needs to be rotate 90 degrees to get the best position on the SOC. There has been a lot of testing on the heatsink and a case designed specifically for it that includes slides that accomplish the reorientation. You can read more about it here and in the upcoming June Edition of Odroid Magazine. The case can also be purchased from Ameridroid here. Further down in the post you will find both active and passive cooling test results.
I believe it is the best XU4 case and air based cooling solution to date. Totally unbiased, really. :roll:
hominoid

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:27 pm

To get lower idle temperatures you'll need to change governor from performance to something else (like ondemand).
mad_ady

Unread postby highend » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks!

@hominoid
The case costs about 56 Euros (Amazon.de) without shipping... Em, no, that's way too much.
I guess I'll use the original case and modify it to make the heat sink + fan fit...

I'll order the Antec though :)

@mad_ady
Ahh, that's the reason! I'll change that...
highend

Unread postby tmihai20 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:31 pm

The case that @hominoid made is absolutely awesome and it should be present on HardKernel shop. I would have bought that instead of the current case. I will probably print it here locally. I will adapt it to use a 120 mm fan, not the 40 mm fan. The bigger fan should be more silent.
tmihai20

Unread postby hominoid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 am

highend wrote:Thanks!

@hominoid
The case costs about 56 Euros (Amazon.de) without shipping... Em, no, that's way too much.
I guess I'll use the original case and modify it to make the heat sink + fan fit...

I'll order the Antec though :)

@mad_ady
Ahh, that's the reason! I'll change that...

Sorry to hear it's so expensive for you but I don't understand. It's about $14 USD at Ameridiod and not offered at amazon.de?? I also have made the design files available so it can be printed locally. If your talking about the fan and heatsink, there are other places where the heatsink can be had for considerably less, as others have posted. And, any 40mm fan can be used by thru bolting instead of using the isolation feet. I initially paused at the cost too but, the Noctua fan is great quality and I will re-purpose the fan and the heatsink in future projects when the XU4 is retired. I believe the fan is made in Austria so I would expect it to be cheaper if your in Europe.
FYI, On the OEM fan/case, I leave the fan on all the time at 25% to help eliminate the constant spinning up and down and keep it cooler. I also adjust the temp break points which helps. There are plenty of posts on those subjects.
hominoid

Unread postby highend » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:20 am

It is offered at amazon.de. But for 56 Euros + ~8 Euro shipping.
https://www.amazon.de/Hominoid-XU4-Spli ... 07283XK46/

It's actually sold by ameriDroid on Amazon's platform. For 4 * the price...

I already ordered the fan, the heat sink and the thermal paste (the arctic one).

I've read the necessary threads about setting the temp break points and the fan speed and I'm doing
it in the same way. It's currently running always at 18% and the temperature is at about 40 celsius.
highend

Unread postby hominoid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am

highend wrote:It is offered at amazon.de. But for 56 Euros + ~8 Euro shipping.
https://www.amazon.de/Hominoid-XU4-Spli ... 07283XK46/

It's actually sold by ameriDroid on Amazon's platform. For 4 * the price...

Hmmm...I did not know and now see your point. Ouch! I wonder what shipping costs are from here to Europe...
Any local 3D printing clubs around; Universities will usually have one...
highend wrote:I already ordered the fan, the heat sink and the thermal paste (the arctic one).

I like the Arctic MX-4, It is comparable to the Antec Formula 7. Their other products have a good reputation as well.
highend wrote:I've read the necessary threads about setting the temp break points and the fan speed and I'm doing
it in the same way. It's currently running always at 18% and the temperature is at about 40 celsius.

40c at idle is not bad regardless of ambient temp but I'm surprised you can run your fan so low. Most will not go lower than 25% and some 30%, without making strange noises. If it starts to make some noise you might try bumping it up as a possible fix.
hominoid

Unread postby mad_ady » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Hmm, does not running the fan continuously ultimately destroy the bearings prematurely? Or are many start/stop cycles worse?
mad_ady

Unread postby highend » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Any local 3D printing clubs around; Universities will usually have one...

Unfortunately, no :(

40c at idle is not bad regardless of ambient temp but I'm surprised you can run your fan so low

I've raised the speed up until I was comfortable with
Code: Select all
echo "1 18 40 95" > /sys/devices/odroid_fan.14/fan_speeds

It has a minimal clicking sound while running but it's unnoticeable once it's on it's place (about 1m from me)
The Noctua will arrive on monday, let's see where it's sweet spot will be

Hmm, does not running the fan continuously ultimately destroy the bearings prematurely?

Mh, my desktop pc runs 16 hours a day and so do the fans. They didn't get noticeable louder in the last
5 years, though. I've chosen Noiseblocker fans and I'd buy them again in the same second I need new ones...
highend

Unread postby tmihai20 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:17 pm

How are you controlling the speed? I connected my temporary 120 mm fan to USB 2.0 port and I chose this one to be as silent as possible.
tmihai20

Unread postby hominoid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 pm

mad_ady wrote:Hmm, does not running the fan continuously ultimately destroy the bearings prematurely? Or are many start/stop cycles worse?

Fan's are continuous duty cycle devices design to run 24/7. The cheap one's might have a problem if the manufacturer cut corners on the bearing design. One of the reasons I didn't mind spending the money for the Nuctua is that I know it's excellent quality and I will have it a long time. Starting and stopping will use more energy but shouldn't hurt a fan. Running it under powered (clicking)...not sure what the long term effect will be.
hominoid

Unread postby hominoid » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:49 pm

I have created dxf and svg files of the outline of the slides I use to re-orientate the Gold Heatsink for the Split Airflow Case. These slides will rotate and center the thick part of the heatsink directly above the SOC. The outlines can be used to locate the hole and offset and can be easily hand fabricated out of any non-ferrous metal. 14ga copper(1.628mm) fits the heatsink slide opening perfectly and will help conduct heat past the slide openings. LibreCad and Inkscape can be used to view and print.
Gold Heatsink Offset Slides.zip
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Gold Heatsink Offset Slides.png
Gold Heatsink Offset Slides.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
hominoid

Unread postby rupy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:14 am

Made another shim, which it seems is unnecessary now since they removed the protruding capacitor!?

rupy

Unread postby Digimaster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:46 pm

40c at idle is not bad regardless of ambient temp but I'm surprised you can run your fan so low. Most will not go lower than 25% and some 30%, without making strange noises. If it starts to make some noise you might try bumping it up as a possible fix.

It is good idea to use a fan with "Magnetic flying bearing" technology, like SUNON MagLev series. It makes less noise and starts easier under a low voltage conditions. Also consider tech specs. Bigger fans with a small CFM value (7-10) is prefferable for low noise. That means it has a slow rotation speed. I believe 7 CFM is enough for good cooling.
Digimaster

languages_spoken: english, russian
ODROIDs: U2, X2, U3, C1, C2, XU4 × 300+

Unread postby Snoevit » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Guys!

I've just got my XU-4 and want to replace the cooler. I've got a black heatsink identical to the gold one AmeriDroid is selling. The thing im worried about is what thermal compound i should use? What is the most "idiot-proof" way?
If i understand correctly the heatsink might tilt due to the SoC isnt centerd under the heatsink. So to minimize the risk of shortcircuit etc, how should i do?

1. Just use non-conductive paste ( like Arctic Silver 5 / Noctua NT-H1) only on cpu.
2. Use 0.5mm thick thermalpads on the hole heatsink? only on cpu?
3. Use 0.5 thik thermalpad on the hole heatsink with a cutout on the cpu and apply thermalpaste there?
4. ?

Anything else i need to think about? IS there even a chance of the heatsink to shortcut the board, or have i just misinterpreted? (Eng. not native)
I dont have much eperience about these things and really appreciate the help!
Snoevit

languages_spoken: Swedish, English

Unread postby hominoid » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Snoevit wrote:Hi Guys!

I've just got my XU-4 and want to replace the cooler. I've got a black heatsink identical to the gold one AmeriDroid is selling. The thing im worried about is what thermal compound i should use? What is the most "idiot-proof" way?
If i understand correctly the heatsink might tilt due to the SoC isnt centerd under the heatsink. So to minimize the risk of shortcircuit etc, how should i do?

1. Just use non-conductive paste ( like Arctic Silver 5 / Noctua NT-H1) only on cpu.
2. Use 0.5mm thick thermalpads on the hole heatsink? only on cpu?
3. Use 0.5 thik thermalpad on the hole heatsink with a cutout on the cpu and apply thermalpaste there?
4. ?

Anything else i need to think about? IS there even a chance of the heatsink to shortcut the board, or have i just misinterpreted? (Eng. not native)
I dont have much eperience about these things and really appreciate the help!

Just use the non-conductive paste on the SOC. You will get the best thermal conveyance that way and if you use common sense and care, you shouldn't have a problem with short circuits. When you mount the heatsink squeeze the heatsink and PCB, one finger on the top of the heatsink directly above the SOC and the other on the bottom of the PCB directly below the SOC. You'll be able to feel if it is flat on the SOC. Purposely rock the heatsink forward and then back so you know what it feels and looks like when it's not sitting flat on the SOC. Using a copper shim and a different hold down system are other ways to improve your XU4. Consider fabricating the slides I posted up a couple of posts. They allow you to rotate the heatsink and get it better positioned on the SOC. You can read more in Odroid Magazine June issue or the original post.
hominoid

Unread postby Priidu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:00 am

@Snoevit: As @hominoid said, you will get the best result by applying thermal paste onto the CPU. For example, here's my solution (which I mentioned a few pages back), that is essentially equivalent to option 3 on your list:

I've applied some Arctic MX-4 (electrically non-conductive) thermal paste onto the Exynos chip; the rest is covered by a 0.5mm thermal pad. BTW - I checked just in case, the Gdstime heatsink seems to have an anodized coating as well (at least in my case), so theoretically it would be OK not to add a thermal pad at all (but better safe than sorry!).

Anyway, I've had 2 of these XU4's running for about 6 months now and haven't run into any problems so far.

BTW: do yourself a favor and get the XU4Q case (easier to cut). They weren't around when I was doing my setup so I had to repaint the cases with some black acrylic spray paint (they looked a bit rough after all the cutting & sanding).
Priidu

languages_spoken: English, Spanish, Estonian
ODROIDs: 5 x ODROID XU4

Unread postby Snoevit » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Okey, Thank you @Priidu & @hominoid !

You have made me wiser :)
Snoevit

languages_spoken: Swedish, English

Unread postby Peasodecesar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi friends,

I had a little problem with my new odroid-xu4q:

When I have a power failure (power gets down, and then up on my house ) .... unit didn't start up again....only red led (power) is on.
If I unplug and plug again, still didn't start.
If I unplug, wait a little until temperature goes down, and plug, it starts normally.
So it seems that gets "blocked" didn't trying to start as temperature is high......but also, as it is plugged, it maintains temperature, so I need to unplug for making temp get down.....maybe it's a hardware fault to maintain temperature even if no working?just being plugged?

I decided to buy a little fan, and my idea is that it works until system starts. So, any idea to program this?, is there any BIOS or some place to make it?

Hope I explained my problem correctly.

Thanks for your help!
Peasodecesar

languages_spoken: english, spanish, french
ODROIDs: oDroid XU4Q

Unread postby odroid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

@Peasodecesar,
Which power supply do you use? Is it official 5V/4A PSU?
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby Peasodecesar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:34 pm

odroid wrote:@Peasodecesar,
Which power supply do you use? Is it official 5V/4A PSU?

Yes, the official 5V/4A Power Supply EU plug ... I bought it with the Odroid Board
Peasodecesar

Unread postby odroid » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am

Your XU4Q seems to have something wrong.
Open a new topic and I will help you.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby Peasodecesar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:13 pm

odroid wrote:Your XU4Q seems to have something wrong.
Open a new topic and I will help you.

OK, thanks!

New topic: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=28394
Peasodecesar

Unread postby Groove On » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:34 am

I'm interested in optimizing the Aluminum Cooling Case for the XU4 - since it seems to have been the best performer of the passive cooling solutions (video.respectech.com:8080/log/results.html). Any problems with these ideas?

1. Replace the thermal pad with thermal paste?
2. Put a 2nd heat sink on the bottom, perhaps spreading the heat to the bottom panel?
Groove On

Unread postby tmihai20 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Last night I replaced the stock heatsink with fan (the small blue one) with a golden heatsink someone recommended here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-Piece ... 0.0.EjBdtf. I could not find a similar tall 40x40 mm heatsink anywhere locally. I was a little nervous while exchanging the heatsinks, I was afraid that it would touch anything or that I would damage any components. I used the mounting brackets, screws and thermal paste that came with the new heatsink.

I can say it was totally worth it. Idle temperatures did not drop that much (about 5 degrees Celsius), but the overall temperature also dropped heavily here as well. The temperature in high load was about 55 degrees Celsius, compared to 65 or even 70 as it was before. I am attaching the graphs generated by the interface. The ambient temperature was a lot higher the first 2 weeks of this month, which also increased oDroid temperature. The missing period is the one when I replaced the stock heatsink.
Bottom line: I highly recommend doing this even if you are stressing oDroid a lot. I am using a fan too to cool the heatsink (80 mm fan is quiet enough).

2017-09-26-daily-temperatures.png
Daily temperatures
2017-09-26-daily-temperatures.png (38.37 KiB) Viewed 6691 times

2017-09-ww39-weekly-temperatures.png
Weekly temperatures
2017-09-ww39-weekly-temperatures.png (35.98 KiB) Viewed 6691 times

2017-09-monthly-temperatures.png
Monthly temperatures
2017-09-monthly-temperatures.png (40.17 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
tmihai20

Unread postby Un4Seen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:18 pm

@odroid Do you have any plans to sell a solution which would allow the XU4 to continuously run at full CPU load and still be cooled in a quiet manner? What I'm thinking about is an even taller heat sink (currently the quiet version has a heat sink only 25 mm tall, which doesn't seem to be sufficient when the XU4 runs under continuous full load) and/or selling a somewhat silent cooling fan which fits onto the tall heat sink.

My current best solution for cooling the XU4 under continuous full load is to use the tall blue heat sink:
https://www.odroid.co.uk/hardkernel-odroid-xu4/odroid-blue-tall-heatsink

and glue the blue cooler on top of it:
https://www.odroid.co.uk/hardkernel-odroid-xu4/odroid-xu4-blue-fan

This way my XU4 is able to run under continuous full CPU stress without thermal throttling (max temperatures fluctuate between 80-85 degrees Celsius and all cores are always at full speed). However this cooling fan is noisy as hell and I also don't like that it doesn't really fit the tall blue heat sink natively, gluing it on top is a hack that I'm not very pleased with.

So what I'm asking for are two things:
1. An even taller heat sink
2. A much more silent cooling fan that can attach on top of the tall heat sink without hacking.

Thanks!
Un4Seen

languages_spoken: english, hungarian, romanian

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:40 pm

I don't think that a taller/bigger heatsink will be able to keep the XU4 running at full speed without throttling without some active cooling. Your best bet for a quiet cooler is either a Noctua fan running @5V, or a bigger 12V fan running at 5V.
mad_ady

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware and peripherals