How does HC2 handle SATA 3.3 Pin 3 "Power Disable" spec?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

How does HC2 handle SATA 3.3 Pin 3 "Power Disable" spec?

Unread postby dchang0 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:49 am

I've been reading about how some of the larger capacity (8TB and 10TB) SATA drives conform to the SATA 3.3 spec, which includes the Power Disable feature on the 3.3V Pin 3.

Does the HC2 conform to this spec? The pin is marked as DEVSLP in the schematics and doesn't seem to be connected to anything (this is non-conforming, I think), which probably means that it will accept both Power Disable and non-Power Disable drives.

For more details, this HGST document summarizes it pretty well:

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/file ... Pin-TB.pdf

The reason I ask is that shucking external drives is somewhat of a hit or miss proposition--sometimes you get a Power Disable drive and sometimes you don't. Better to know if the HC2 can handle Power Disable.
dchang0

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+, XU4Q

Re: How does HC2 handle SATA 3.3 Pin 3 "Power Disable" spec?

Unread postby odroid » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:06 am

Right. The DEVSLP pin has no connection as you saw the schematics.

As I told you, we've used an HGST 10TB Deskstar NAS HDN721010ALE604 on the HC2 over several months without problem.
But the HDD seems not to have the "Power Disable" feature.
Frankly speaking, we've shipped over several thousands of HC2 unit. But there has been no critical issue so far.

Can you tell me the full part number of your problematic HDD?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: How does HC2 handle SATA 3.3 Pin 3 "Power Disable" spec?

Unread postby dchang0 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks. I'm not having problems with a particular HDD right now. I returned the problematic one and am searching for one that is 100% known to work with the HC2. Western Digital has a lot of different SKUs (and the HGST acquisition doesn't help), so it is more of a problem of finding exactly the right drive than with the HC2.

My expectation is that:

1) The HC2 does not conform to SATA 3.3 (not a bad thing!)

2) The HC2 WILL work with both drives with Power Disable and without Power Disable (a good thing!)
dchang0

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1+, XU4Q

Return to Hardware and peripherals