XU4 heatsink without cooler (or low noise)

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Re: XU4 heatsink without cooler (or low noise)

Unread postby hominoid » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:05 am

mad_ady wrote:Hmm, strange, this is the fan I ordered and used on my xu4: Noctua NF-A4x20 5V PWM and came with a 2 pin adapter cable that I connected to the board. It does have some 3 pin cables too in the box, but I thought the third in is for rpm reading.
@hominid: is the A4x10 fan you used non-pwm, but works with pwm?
Edit: Here is the post that lead me to believe non-pwm fans don't work: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29106

I have been using the NF-A4x10 5v Non-PMW fan for the XU4 Split Airflow case. I don't believe Noctua had a 40mm x 10mm or 20mm PWM Fan when I bought mine. It's like @DarkBahamut posted, either should work for the XU4 because of the HK implementation. FYI, If you look at the Noctua fan spec's all the PWM fans have 4-pins, Non-PWM fans can be either 2-pin or 3-pin like you pointed out. The fan that comes with the HK OEM active cooler is Non-PWM. I don't have the link anymore but here is the PWM Spec 1.3 for anyone interested.
4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf
(114.9 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
hominoid

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1

Unread postby CoBrA2168 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:45 pm

hominoid wrote:
mad_ady wrote:Hmm, strange, this is the fan I ordered and used on my xu4: Noctua NF-A4x20 5V PWM and came with a 2 pin adapter cable that I connected to the board. It does have some 3 pin cables too in the box, but I thought the third in is for rpm reading.
@hominid: is the A4x10 fan you used non-pwm, but works with pwm?
Edit: Here is the post that lead me to believe non-pwm fans don't work: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29106

I have been using the NF-A4x10 5v Non-PMW fan for the XU4 Split Airflow case. I don't believe Noctua had a 40mm x 10mm or 20mm PWM Fan when I bought mine. It's like @DarkBahamut posted, either should work for the XU4 because of the HK implementation. FYI, If you look at the Noctua fan spec's all the PWM fans have 4-pins, Non-PWM fans can be either 2-pin or 3-pin like you pointed out. The fan that comes with the HK OEM active cooler is Non-PWM. I don't have the link anymore but here is the PWM Spec 1.3 for anyone interested.
4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf

DarkBahamut wrote:PWM or non-PWM fans should work on either PWM or non-PWM devices (full compatibility either way) since the all the fans only require 2 pins to actually run (VCC + GND). The only difference between the fans is that the PWM fans have PWM logic on board so they accept a PWM timing signal (the 4th pin) that tells the fan how much to pulse it's motor. The non-PWM version don't accept this so it just takes a VCC and GND.

The XU4 instead has this PWM logic on board and directly pulses the VCC output pin (rather than telling the fan to pulse it's own motor) which results the fan in getting less power and thus spins at a lower speed. The fan is effectively blind to the PWM process which is how you get PWM control on a non-PWM fan :)

My advice would be to get whichever is cheapest since both will work exactly the same when it comes to the odroids.

Thanks guys for posting an explanation that makes sense (at least to me!). I went ahead and ordered the Noctua A4x10 5V model, which is only a "non-PWM" version. I also bought some molex adapters/cables from eBay that should be compatible (by using the custom wire creator that comes with the fan).

My XU4 came in the mail yesterday, so I almost have everything to put it together and do a final test. I will report back if I run into any issues.
CoBrA2168

Unread postby CoBrA2168 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 pm

mad_ady wrote:Ok, keep us posted!

I finally got all of the hardware today, including the molex cable that I purchased from eBay linked in a previous post. The Noctua fan comes with the "OmniJoin" adapter to allow you to connect the cables without soldering. Turns out, it works perfectly! And the cable that I purchased was also the correct molex adapter - it fit right into the board with no issues.

The latest kernel also seems to handle the automatic fan quite nicely - it spins up when it needs to, and turns off when it is idling. Overall I'm very happy with this setup.
CoBrA2168

Unread postby mad_ady » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks for confirming and enjoy!
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Previous

Return to Hardware and peripherals