RetroELEC Emulationstation/RetroArch/Kodi image for XU4

escalade
languages_spoken: english and norwegian

Re: RetroELEC Emulationstation/RetroArch/Kodi image for XU4

Unread post by escalade » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 am

Writing some kind of small documentation is on my to-do list, next to doing an article for the odroid magazine if I ever get around to it :P I will include the Docker steps somewhere as well. I do get that you just want to play, and that's the whole point of my fork to simplify emulation. It should be as simple as dropping roms into the appropriate folder and playing. I think most people don't even need the command line, although I strive to include every useful tool that I can think of. I suppose I can add mc as it's quite popular and doesn't require a lot of space.

Here's a more or less current list of additional tools I've added: "joyutils sdl-jstest scraper rsync unrar p7zip htop cgroup-tools tcpdump file mediainfo strace screen plymouth-lite chdman dec-decode wit pkgrip". I suppose there's a lot of "hidden" stuff I've added and not mentined anywhere as well, this is a one-man project that I hack on for fun. It's workijng out

Another useful utility that's included by default on LibreELEC is "udevil", you can use it to mount pretty much anything. For example, you can do udevil --mount /path/to/file.iso and it'll be mounted under /media/LABEL.

All flavors of mame aren't going to happen because they are huge, and you really just need one. I've included 2003 for convenience as a lot of people have 0.78 rom sets, also might come in handy for netplay. 2016 is the most recent one that is well maintained. If you need more, just download them manually. The same goes for FBA. Just get a MAME 0.174 rom set, it'll work with the shipped FBA version as well. All the platforms you mentioned are supported.

Dumping the root partition on SSD serves no purpose on *ELEC (unless you got a really crappy SD card). The root filesystem is on a read-only compressed squashfs (/flash/SYSTEM) on the FAT boot partition. It'll never get fragmented or messed up in any way, that's the beauty of it. If you like, you can remove "noram" from the kernel command line in /flash/boot.ini and the squashfs will get copied to memory before mounting. You'll use up RAM equal to the size of the image in doing so though, but access will be faster. From my testing it's not noticeable compared to eMMC.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot that I made a post at the CoreELEC forum as well. I'll see if I can figure out a more sane place to collect my info. Thanks for the feedback btw.
These users thanked the author escalade for the post (total 2):
tmihai20 (Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:27 am) • odroid (Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 am)
Maintainer of RetroELEC (XU4 support!)

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 pm

I'll see if I can figure out a more sane place to collect my info.
Github readme/wiki

surface
ODROIDs: C2, XU4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by surface » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:38 am

escalade wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 am
... this is a one-man project that I hack on for fun.
If you'd like, I can send a few PR your way. Or, of course, you can browse my fork and plunder if you enjoy the 'one-man' aspect of the project.

Some unresolved issues I've noticed and can't figure out how to fix:
This may be a host/(l)user issue but

Code: Select all

PROJECT=OdroidXU3 MEDIACENTER=kodi ARCH=arm DISTRO=RetroELEC make image
does not work for me. Kodi is not built and included. I had to specifically go into ./distributions/RetroELEC/options and change the MEDIACENTER value in that file to get Kodi built.
There is a host openssl bleed-through issue when building the XU3 4.x kernel. (I have openssl 1.0.2 installed in the host, script is building openssl 1.1, but then trying to link in 1.0.2. I think its a similar issue to this: https://github.com/96boards/meta-96boards/issues/81)
There is a host bleed-through of libfdt.h and libfdt_env.h, but I can't remember what package that was. (/usr/include is being added to include path)
Using the XU 4.x kernel, there are issues with GBM KMS/DRM. (eg. Kodi, ppsspp, etc. launches to black screen (but ES is fine))
Using ES 'Quite to Terminal' the command prompt lands on / and ~ does not work. Profile/env problem? (eg 'cd ~' fails) (ok... the tilde character looks like a dash on my preview, so FYI)
escalade wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 pm
...I don't make it a point to include every emulator/core under the sun though, only those who work good and are actually useful. It's a breeze to add them for me, so if you make a valid argument I might just do so.
As far as emulators to include:
:arrow: I think adding one good Sega 8/16bit (SG/GG/MS/MD/CD) all-in-one and one PC Engine (PCE/CD/DUO) would be nice as those systems don't currently have a build in offering. It's on my TODO list if you don't get around to it before I do.
:arrow: I'd really like to replace the standalone dosbox-svn with dosbox-ece, but I'd basically have to redo the SDL1 -> SDL2 patch to get it to work with GBM KMS/DRM and the CEC code is... messy. Also the voodoo gfx stuff may just be too much of a hassle if its too tied into OpenGL... and after all that, it may just flat out not perform well on the XU.

escalade

Unread post by escalade » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:26 am

Not sure about the environment variable, I always set it manually. The LE devs are focused on Kodi, they probably never tried turning it off. Since OpenELEC they have changed the buildsystem in various ways, could be that MEDIACENTER is not set when it hits packages/virtual/mediacenter/package.mk.

What are you building on? I use Arch (specifically my escalade1/arch-build Docker container), and I haven't seen the issue you mention. Wouldn't be the first time there's an issue with the toolchain though, some things can happen differently on varioius distros.

As for XU4 4.14, I haven't seen those issues either worked fine here last I tried. Lately I have been exclusively using 5.2 which works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Quit to terminal lands on / because the terminal is run from debug-shell.service, which simply executes /bin/sh. By default, the shell doesn't read /etc/profile to get the environment variables set (like $HOME). You can change it to /bin/sh -l to get a proper login shell, this is remedied in my local changes. I've added sega-genesis-plus-gx in my local repo will push soon. Never heard about Dosbox ECE before, but I wouldn't really call SDL1 "enhanced" :) Does it have any killer features that can't be added to dosbox-svn-libretro? Performance won't be much difference anyway I think, as the XU4 can't really handle dosbox that well.

You can send PR's if you think they are useful, and if you don't mind your commits getting squashed from time to time when I rebase.

surface

Unread post by surface » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:29 am

escalade wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:26 am
Not sure about the environment variable, I always set it manually. The LE devs are focused on Kodi, they probably never tried turning it off. Since OpenELEC they have changed the buildsystem in various ways, could be that MEDIACENTER is not set when it hits packages/virtual/mediacenter/package.mk.

What are you building on? I use Arch (specifically my escalade1/arch-build Docker container), and I haven't seen the issue you mention. Wouldn't be the first time there's an issue with the toolchain though, some things can happen differently on varioius distros.
I'm using gentoo as that on my most powerful cpu for compiling. My shell is bash 4.4.23.
I can give it a try again with a clean tree for testing if you are interested in fixing it.
Otherwise, as editing the RetroELEC options file and setting MEDIACENTER to kodi fixes the symptom, I'm happy to simply do that and carry on.

I have never used docker... but I suppose now would be as good a time as any to get my feet wet.
escalade wrote:
As for XU4 4.14, I haven't seen those issues either worked fine here last I tried. Lately I have been exclusively using 5.2 which works perfectly as far as I can tell.
With the host openssl bleed-through problem and those video issues I was having, I switched back to 5.2.
It could have been a number of issues on my end. I'm not sure what state the build was in regarding updated packages, extra patches, etc. Also my monitor is 1680 x 1050 so it could be an issue with that or edid.
The goal with 4.14 was to just use that kernel for the LCD screen on the OGST case until 5.x had the driver re-implemented.
I'm currently poking at this to see what I can get to work in 5.2.
escalade wrote:
Quit to terminal lands on / because the terminal is run from debug-shell.service, which simply executes /bin/sh. By default, the shell doesn't read /etc/profile to get the environment variables set (like $HOME). You can change it to /bin/sh -l to get a proper login shell, this is remedied in my local changes. I've added sega-genesis-plus-gx in my local repo will push soon. Never heard about Dosbox ECE before, but I wouldn't really call SDL1 "enhanced" :) Does it have any killer features that can't be added to dosbox-svn-libretro? Performance won't be much difference anyway I think, as the XU4 can't really handle dosbox that well.
YAY sega-genesis-plus-gx!

As far as I understand, Dosbox ECE is just a collection of patches applied to the original Dosbox, which is still DSL1. :x
From the webpage:
Currently, the ECE differs from normal DOSBox in the following features:

Emulation of a 3Dfx Voodoo card via software or OpenGL (no additional glide wrapper is needed!)
4x, 5x and 6x image scaling is possible in windowed mode
Pixel-perfect output mode, for distortion-free scaling of the image
Improved emulation of OPL3 (a FM sound synthesis chip from Yamaha)
Improved balance and authenticity in FM sound playback
Improved PC speaker sound emulation
Emulation of the Roland MT-32 Midi synthesizer
Integration of Fluidsynth (a software midi synthesizer with soundfont support)
Support for up to 10 joystick axes and 2 D-pads (2 complete Xbox360 compatible controllers)
Mouse buttons can be mapped to keyboard keys or controller buttons
Support for up to 384 MB RAM, required for running Windows 9x in DOSBox ECE
4MB video memory, reducing sprite flickering in games with the Build engine (“Duke Nukem 3D”, “Blood”, etc.)
Support for MSF timestamps in CUE files, MP3, FLAC, WAV and OPUS files are supported as cd audio replacement
Not so much for me, but I think a killer feature would be the 3Dfx Voodoo stuff IF the XU4 can cope.
Like you mentioned, the XU4 doesn't do will with Dosbox in the first place, so I'm not sure adding even more to emulate is a good idea!
As for me personally, my whole reasoning for poking at Dosbox in RetroELEC is because, using dosbox-sdl2 standalone, I'm experiencing sound stuttering in Epic Pinball in GUS mode AND I love the mt32. This same problem happens on Dosbox on my linux desktop but is fixed there using Dosbox ECE. So my killer feature is all the improved sound stuff! ;)
I haven't tried in a while but I want to say that the included libretro-dosbox-svn did not have the stuttering problem, but it doesn't have mt32. The downloadable libretro-dosbox does have mt32 but its overall performance is complete garbage. Besides, I'm honestly not thrilled with retroarch's integration of Dosbox at this point. It definitely needs more polish! :lol:

What I can do is build Dosbox-SDL2 on that pc and see if the same sound issue occurs. I'll let you know what I find.

escalade

Unread post by escalade » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 am

As you are on Gentoo, I see no reason to maintain fixes for it in my fork. In that case it would be better if you upstreamed them.

After emerging Docker, you can do this:

# docker run --name build -h arch-build -e TZ=Europe/Oslo -it -v /media:/media -v /storage:/storage escalade1/arch-build

You'll be dropped in a shell where you can simply clone my fork and run make with your desired options. The container is a minimal Arch container with the necessary stuff to compile RetroELEC. Dockerfile can be found here. I'm compiling images in Docker containers on my HTPC running RetroELEC ;) I recommend breezing through the documentation on the Docker site, I'm sure you will really enjoy using it.

I agree that Dosbox is in a poor state. Upstream seems abandoned and community efforts fall flat, not much to do. I noticed MT-32 is missing on the -svn core as well, I think it should be doable to add it by looking at the other core. Send me a PR :)

surface

Unread post by surface » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 pm

escalade wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 am
As you are on Gentoo, I see no reason to maintain fixes for it in my fork. In that case it would be better if you upstreamed them.

After emerging Docker, you can do this:

# docker run --name build -h arch-build -e TZ=Europe/Oslo -it -v /media:/media -v /storage:/storage escalade1/arch-build

You'll be dropped in a shell where you can simply clone my fork and run make with your desired options. The container is a minimal Arch container with the necessary stuff to compile RetroELEC. Dockerfile can be found here. I'm compiling images in Docker containers on my HTPC running RetroELEC ;) I recommend breezing through the documentation on the Docker site, I'm sure you will really enjoy using it.

I agree that Dosbox is in a poor state. Upstream seems abandoned and community efforts fall flat, not much to do. I noticed MT-32 is missing on the -svn core as well, I think it should be doable to add it by looking at the other core. Send me a PR :)
Alrighty! I got docker installed and pulled down your arch build environment like so:
docker run --name build -h arch-build -e TZ=Europe/Oslo -it -v /media:/media -v /storage:/storage escalade1/arch-build
Yep, I now have a 'arch-build' prompt.
Then clone like so:
git clone https://github.com/escalade/RetroELEC.git -b le9
Happy! Now cd into RetroELEC and kick off the build with:
PROJECT=OdroidXU3 MEDIACENTER=kodi ARCH=arm DISTRO=RetroELEC make image
Which tells me that it has 288 build steps... and then errors out building systemd (but more on that later)
Now if I edit distributions/RetroELEC/options and only change MEDIACENTER from no to kodi I get 338 steps.

So my ' kodi not being built even though MEDIACENTER=kodi is on the command line ' issue is also happening inside your docker container. Hopefully its just something I am doing wrong!

Now, about the systemd build error, this is the blkid version problem I ran into earlier.
I have a fix for it checked in to my fork, but I, well, I'm also very new to git and didn't structure my branches right to give you one PR per issue. If you are OK with me giving you one PR with three fixes in it this time, then I can do it! Otherwise, later, I can redo my fork correctly.
The three fixes are relatively minor: A handful of target and host dependency additions in the .mk files to fix build ordering (the systemd fix is here); a path fix in the es_system file for dosbox; and a compiler warning in the Odroid 4.14 kernel that was being treated as an error and stopping the build.

escalade

Unread post by escalade » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:15 pm

I didn't mean using my container will fix that, just that it'll prevent the mentioned "bleed-through" as that's what I use for compiling so I'll fix stuff for that environment.

Hold off with the PR's for the moment. Like I said, I have a bunch of changes not commited locally, including one for the blkid issue (libblkid needs to be disabled in e2fsprogs).

Where's your github?

surface

Unread post by surface » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 am

escalade wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:15 pm
I didn't mean using my container will fix that, just that it'll prevent the mentioned "bleed-through" as that's what I use for compiling so I'll fix stuff for that environment.

Hold off with the PR's for the moment. Like I said, I have a bunch of changes not commited locally, including one for the blkid issue (libblkid needs to be disabled in e2fsprogs).

Where's your github?
https://github.com/DJSurface/RetroELEC

Ah, I definitely knew that the docker container would shield me form the host-bleed through, but I thought you were also figuring that it would fix my odd problem with ignoring MEDIACENTER=kodi on the command line. I feel like this is because I'm talking about too many separate issues all at once and crossing wires in the process. :oops:

Let me try to clarify what I've been chatting about thus far with a list!
  1. I have two host bleed-through issues.
    1. OpenSSL lib from host bleeds-through when building Odroid linux kernel 4.14. If the host version and the build tools version of OpenSSL don't match the build fails.
    2. u-boot has /usr/include added to the include path and that is causing my local newer copy of libfdt to be pulled in and break the build.
  2. MEDIACENTER=kodi does not seem to work from the command line and must be switched in the options file. Using PROJECT=OdroidXU3 MEDIACENTER=kodi ARCH=arm DISTRO=RetroELEC make image I get 288 build steps with the options file set with MEDIACENTER="no" and 338 build steps with MEDIACENTER="kodi".
  3. Various build ordering issues.
  4. DOSbox related issues.
  5. OGST LCD support missing from kernel >=5.1
1. is mitigated by using your arch docker container and you expressed that you would rather build script issues go upstream.

2. is mitigated by editing the options file; but maybe you still want to investigate the root cause on this? -- otherwise I'm fine just editing the options file.

3. I've addressed some of these in my fork and seems like you have some incoming fixes as well. I'll recheck some of this after your git push.

4. is on hold, at least from my end, until I can do more testing. Currently, dosbox-sdl2 standalone crashes when mt32 is enabled and the bios roms are available, but I need to make sure this isn't a symptom due to any of my other changes or build oddities (hence the focus on 1. and 2.). After I verify all that, my plan for now is to focus on dosbox-sdl2 standalone. First because the code differences between libretro-dosbox and dosbox-svn-libretro are non-trivial and second is because I am not pleased with the current integration of dosbox in retroarch (bad control mapping, lazy configuration options implementation, etc.) Wherever I land with this, I'll make up a proper PR!

5. is probably going to be a "me only" solution because I'm thinking about "fixing" this the wrong way: I'm just going to revert the breaking change that happened in 5.1 and repatch in the hardkernel stuff for the LCD screen until such time as someone else makes a proper fix. ('Someone else' because I really don't understand what the fbtft kernel driver wants now to be able to communicate with the hardware. Something about 'device tree' or 'board files' ... or black magic.) EDIT: Also, I'd rather not spend any time figuring out the 4.14 graphics issues I experienced if 5.x is the future!

escalade

Unread post by escalade » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:21 am

2. I probably will at some point, as I'm OCD and now that you've pointed it out it's bugging me too. Don't hold your breath though, because it's not on the top of my list right now. I don't use Kodi myself. Have you tried exporting the variable?

4. Would be cool indeed, I used to play Epic Pinball too btw but I only got the trial version with Android table back in the day :) Pinball Fantasies is better though.

5. As far as I'm concerned, 5.x is the present :) Did you try building 4.14 under Arch?

surface

Unread post by surface » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:05 am

Hrm. Using a completely clean and unmodified git clone, DOSbox-SDL2 crashes anytime mididevice is set to anything other than none or fluidsynth in the applicable .conf file. (/storage/.dosbox/dosbox-SDL2.conf for default or -conf on command line)

I'll make a generic image to see if this is specific to XU4 or not.

surface

Unread post by surface » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:19 am

OK. I finally got Generic to build, but I had to rip out and tweak so much stuff that I'm not sure the test is valid.

Emulation station and Kodi work. Retroarch and DOSbox-SDL2 do not. At all. Seg faults all over the place.

I haven't had any luck getting the DOSbox-SDL2 repo to build outside of the build script, but I suppose I can try harder. (The build instructions are OLD and still reference SDL1) I think I'm just not using the autotools stuff correctly... (wrong order, missing params, etc.)
Anyway, I'm down to figuring this crash is either a problem with the DOSbox midi and/or mt32 code needing an update to work with SDL2, (which would show up in both OdroidXU4 and Generic) or something is off with the OdroidXU4 build (in which case, Generic should work).

I think I'm done with Generic until the build is stable enough to complete without me having to rip out a bunch of stuff and patch things left and right.

On another note, I have the fbtft driver in 5.2 reverted to 5.0 and its loading... but the backlight doesn't come on, so progress there!

rinku
languages_spoken: english, french

Unread post by rinku » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Quick question : Could you add the iproute2 package on your next build ? I'd need it for some network tweaking at home.

Or is there a way to add it manually ? Tho I doubt it's possible.

Edit: Or if it's easier, I just need the tc command which is usually shipped with the iproute2 package. No idea if that's possible to get it as a standalone

nelweistein
ODROIDs: Odroid-n2

Unread post by nelweistein » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:16 pm

Thank you so much :D _
Last edited by nelweistein on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surface

Unread post by surface » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:22 am

Alright, I found the problem and managed to get mt32 working in DOSbox-SDL2.

During the MT-32 ROM load, this exception is being thrown:
/var/log/dosbox.log wrote:locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
I'm, not 100% sure, but my guess is there is a problem with en_US.UTF-8 not being fully set up in the image.
I didn't spend much time researching this, honestly.

This really feels like more of a hack/band-aid than an actual fix, but a quick change to dosbox.sh solves the problem:

Code: Select all

LANG=C dosbox "$@" > /var/log/dosbox.log 2>&1
Edit: You wont see that exception in a normal dosbox.log as I added a ton of debug logging in my local build.
Last edited by surface on Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azrod
languages_spoken: english français
ODROIDs: XU4 + Cloudshell

Unread post by Azrod » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:12 am

Hi escalade, thank you for RetroELEC, it works great :)

Everything works great except I can't find the 'PVR Clients' section in kodi's addons, do you know why ? Also LibreElec repository which could contains PVR/IPTV clients is unreachable... I can't watch my TV without any of these client.. :/

Thank you in advance

surface

Unread post by surface » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:06 am

escalade wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:21 am
5. As far as I'm concerned, 5.x is the present :) Did you try building 4.14 under Arch?
I just did a 4.14 image using the arch docker container and the problem I mentioned earlier about kodi not working (didn't test retroarch yet, but my guess is it is also still broken) still happens.

Basically kodi is running (sound fx and everything), but the screen is stuck on displaying splash-1080.png

escalade

Unread post by escalade » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 pm

@rinku

I can't see the usecase for it, so no. You could copy it over from a different distro.

@surface

It should be, you can check with locale -k LC_CTYPE | grep -qi 'charmap="utf-\+8"' && echo "Uses UTF-8 encoding..". I haven't seen this myself, but then again I'm not sure I've tested MT-32 in dosbox-sdl2 lately. I'm fine with setting locale to C in the launcher script if necessary.

On a related note, I had a very similar (don't think exactly the same one) exception with Emulationstation previously. This is why I added locale to the distribution in the first place. It's set in profile.d and in the Emulationstation service as well. Not quite sure about the root cause of these issues, or if they are related. Let me know if you find out something more.

@Azrod

Glad you like it :) I suppose you need a binary addon, they need to be compiled specifically for the OS. This is not an official LibreELEC project, so you'll need to compile them yourself. If you tell me which one you need I might be inclined to do it for you: https://github.com/escalade/RetroELEC/t ... ary-addons

--

In other news, I've been experimenting with Wayland lately and am happy to report that it's working great. I've got a fully functional generic build using Wayland with Sway as compositor. Will probably move to using Wayland for the XU4 as well. That means:

- Proper refresh rate switching using atomic mode setting (currently this build uses a rather ugly hack to force an EDID containing only 720x576p@50Hz for PAL support)
- Accurate timing for A/V sync in Kodi
- Less out of tree patches needed for Kodi (GBM currently needs patching)
- More GUI tools can be added to this build

surface

Unread post by surface » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:31 am

escalade wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 pm
It should be, you can check with locale -k LC_CTYPE | grep -qi 'charmap="utf-\+8"' && echo "Uses UTF-8 encoding..". I haven't seen this myself, but then again I'm not sure I've tested MT-32 in dosbox-sdl2 lately. I'm fine with setting locale to C in the launcher script if necessary.
Here is the output I get from locale -k LC_CTYPE | grep -qi 'charmap="utf-\+8"' && echo "Uses UTF-8 encoding..":
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Azrod
languages_spoken: english français
ODROIDs: XU4 + Cloudshell

Unread post by Azrod » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:50 am

escalade wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 pm
@Azrod

Glad you like it :) I suppose you need a binary addon, they need to be compiled specifically for the OS. This is not an official LibreELEC project, so you'll need to compile them yourself. If you tell me which one you need I might be inclined to do it for you: https://github.com/escalade/RetroELEC/t ... ary-addons
Thank you for your response,

I could compile it myself but I must admit that I'm not very confortable with LibreElec and its filesystem. I'm a bit lost..

So yes.. if you could do it for me it would be really cool and I appreciate your help, thank you. I'm sure you will do it better than me :) The PVR client I need is pvr.iptvsimple.

Thank you very much for your help and your time.

Return to “Other OS”