[OS] Debian Stretch

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:13 am

Everything with 4.14.28+ and 4.14.52+ at the end
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

jemail
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jemail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 am

Removed some stuff and redid apt-get command.

Should I be concerned about this warning?

Code: Select all

Setting up linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (4.14.55-1) ...
    W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (3 vs 7).
       Affected packages: linux-image-4.14.55+:armhf
I'm guessing that it's just because I deleted some stuff?
Should I reboot?

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:31 am

should be fine to reboot..
Check /boot folder again.. if the boot.ini the .dtb files there along with zImage and uInitrd everything should be fine.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:52 am

Odroid is booting fine.
I have made a small donation to say thanks.
Many thanks for your help.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:51 am

Thank you as well :)
I'm glad I could help.
The boot partition is probably a little bit too small.. it's still from Kernel 3.10 times where the Kernel was a lot smaller.

Gariboldi
ODROIDs: HC2
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Gariboldi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 am

meveric wrote:you can try adding Debian Jessie repo to Debian Stretch.. this might help with mongodb.
I have tried it, but it throws an error with libstdc++6:

pi@odroid-nas:~$ sudo apt-get install mongodb-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libstdc++6 : Breaks: mongodb-server (<= 1:2.4.14-2) but 1:2.4.10-5+deb8u1 is to be installed
 mongodb-server : Depends: mongodb-clients but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libboost-filesystem1.55.0 but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libboost-program-options1.55.0 but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libboost-system1.55.0 but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libboost-thread1.55.0 but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libpcrecpp0 (>= 7.7) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libsnappy1 but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libv8-3.14.5 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
I have here an Raspi 3 running with Stretch. It installed mongodb-server 2.4.14-4 from raspian stretch repos straight as dependency of unifi. Would this be an option to try on the HC2, just adding http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbia ... m/mongodb/ to the sources.lst?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:36 pm

yes RPi version should work fine.

Gariboldi
ODROIDs: HC2

Unread post by Gariboldi » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 pm

meveric wrote:yes RPi version should work fine.
I can confirm this, installation went well and everything is running smoothly. Before I have spent hours finding some workarounds, up to compiling packages.
Two questions remain:
  1. Is it safe to keep the raspbian repository active in the sources.list for further updates or can there be conflicts?
  2. If yes, should the raspbian main be enabled from the beginning of the Debian Stretch installation (I don't know, how apt handels doublets)?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 pm

It's probably better to disable respbian repositories, as they have a lot of different drivers, especially when it comes to GPU kodi and such and there's a high chance it might break something.
Especially with apt-get upgrade or something.
You could try pinning the priority of the repo making sure nothing gets installed automatically but i'm not 100% sure how good this works. I haven't tried this yet.

dominic

Unread post by dominic » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:36 am

Hello,

tried to install php-imagick, but that failed with following message:
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
php-imagick : Depends: libmagickcore-6.q16-3 (>= 8:6.9.6.8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmagickwand-6.q16-3 (>= 8:6.9.6.8) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I am on debian stretch, upgraded from jessie. apt-get -f install shows no problems. When I try to install the depenendencies I just get the same error with their dependencies. Anyone an idea how to fix that?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:35 pm

i checked directly on Debian Stretch and I could install it just fine.
So it's probably an update issue since you updated from Debian Jessie to Stretch.
My guess there are still Jessie packages installed that are conflicting the dependencies from Debian Stretch.

dominic

Unread post by dominic » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:12 am

I checked my installed software but nothing looks suspicious. Is it possible to see where a package is installed from? Could not find the correct command yet.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:38 pm

aptitude can show you the packages still installed from an older distribution, but if you never worked with it, it's probably not easy to understand.

What you can do is what you already started earlier.. keep adding the dependencies in the install command until it no longer complains about missing dependencies, but wrong version, or something else, then post it back here and I see what we can do about it.

apt-get intall php-imagick
->

php-imagick : Depends: libmagickcore-6.q16-3 (>= 8:6.9.6.8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmagickwand-6.q16-3 (>= 8:6.9.6.8) but it is not going to be installed
->

apt-get install php-imagick libmagickwand-6.q16-3

dominic

Unread post by dominic » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 am

Ok, did that and traced the problem down. I have packages installed from another source (raspbian) which I commented out during my upgrade from jessie to stretch as I thought I have nothing installed from there anymore. Indeed there are still some which are also dependencies of php-imagick. After enabling the source and doing an update I was able to install php-imagick from that source.

Is it a problem to have another repository I shouldn't need and packages installed from there instead from standard sources? Is there an easy way to get rid of that source and have everything from the standard sources?

Following packages seems to be from that source.
dpkg-query -l | grep -i 'rpi'
ii base-files 9.9+rpi1+deb9u3 armhf Debian base system miscellaneous files
ii galera-3 25.3.19-2+rpi1 armhf Replication framework for transactional applications
ii gcc-6-base:armhf 6.3.0-18+rpi1 armhf GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
ii klibc-utils 2.0.4-9+rpi1 armhf small utilities built with klibc for early boot
ii libatomic1:armhf 6.3.0-18+rpi1 armhf support library providing __atomic built-in functions
ii libgcc1:armhf 1:6.3.0-18+rpi1 armhf GCC support library
ii libklibc 2.0.4-9+rpi1 armhf minimal libc subset for use with initramfs
ii libstdc++6:armhf 6.3.0-18+rpi1 armhf GNU Standard C++ Library v3
ii lsb-base 9.20161125+rpi1 all Linux Standard Base init script functionality
rc lsb-release 9.20161125+rpi1 all Linux Standard Base version reporting utility
ii u-boot-tools 2016.11+dfsg1-4+rpi1 armhf companion tools for Das U-Boot bootloader

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:58 pm

well to be honest I don't think it's a good idea to mix different repositories from distros that are so close together but still very different.
basefile, gcc, libstdc++ these are very deeply rooted files inside the OS environment using them from RPi can cause some major issues, as they are probably optimized for RPis and with that do not fit in the ODROID environment.

As I said earlier, php-imagick works perfectly fine on a standard Debian Stretch image, there is no "need" for packages from raspbian.

Will raspbian break anything... probably not as long as you don't use GPU features. It just makes things unnecessarily complicated.
And no there's no "easy" way to remove these packages.. you would have to "downgrade" each package individually hoping you don't break something in the process.

dominic

Unread post by dominic » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:19 am

Yes, those are pretty deep inside the system, used by my database and so on. Alright, guess I have some fun.

oddstan
ODROIDs: none

Unread post by oddstan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:45 am

hello, meveric
you've mentioned that it is possible to move boot to hdd.
could you please advise how to do that?

i've tried using grub, however device (HC2) would not even initialize without sd-card.

thanks.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm

oddstan wrote:hello, meveric
you've mentioned that it is possible to move boot to hdd.
could you please advise how to do that?

i've tried using grub, however device (HC2) would not even initialize without sd-card.

thanks.
I don't think I ever said that you can move boot to hdd.
Only the rootfs can be moved. You always need a SD card to boot from.

oddstan

Unread post by oddstan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:56 pm

maybe i misunderstood some of your comment.

most posts i've read about transferring rootfs on subj to hdd tell to add mounting points of boot in two lines:
UID=xxxxx /mnt/boot auto 0 1
/mnt/boot /boot none bind
explaining that it will help not to crush boot update later. OMV script works same way, i.e. it adds two lines to fstab

after i've moved rootfs using setup-odroid, fstab just changed uids.
is it ok to update boot after moving rootfs to hdd?
thanks

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm

I don't see what's the benefit for this.
I directly mount boot to /boot, I don't understand why mounting the same filesystem twice should give you any benefit.

Also I don't understand what "crush the boot update" is suppose to mean.

Also I can not guarantee that it will not break the system now or in the future, as I do not cover the fact that users change bootfs in the fstab and a future update may break in case the fstab does not match a regex that I use to fix issues.

oddstan

Unread post by oddstan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:07 am

i guess best option would be to setup the system as you want and before moving rootfs create an .img of sd-card.
could you please give a command line you used to create image.
thanks.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:11 am

i simply use the dd command to create images.
You can shrink partitions first using gparted to save some space if you want.

oddstan

Unread post by oddstan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:00 am

I'vs tried to create shorter image with command
dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=/mnt/sda5/Firmware/sd.img bs=1M count=3076
but image would not work.
could you help with options
thanks

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:48 pm

have you shrunken the partition first with gparted?

oddstan

Unread post by oddstan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:12 pm

no just limited size of img. considering that there is less data.
never did shrink as well

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Data is distributed "randomly" over the partition, and not just written from start to end. It's likely that some of the data is on the end of the partition as well, so just choosing a smaller size for the dumped image means you are loosing data. That is why you need to shrink the partition first to limit the range the data is distributed over.

Gburas
languages_spoken: English, Polish
ODROIDs: Xu4, N2

Unread post by Gburas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Can I use your tool to change CPU speed and governor thru terminal (remotly putty)? What are the commands?

send with Moto Z 2 Force using Tapatalka

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:04 pm

you can start cpu-control from the command line, it has a menu that guides you.

Gburas

Unread post by Gburas » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:35 pm

meveric wrote:you can start cpu-control from the command line, it has a menu that guides you.
cool, thanks

Gburas

Unread post by Gburas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Can I ask You to prepare package of latest x11vnc, the one from official repo is .13 but on github is .15 . With official I have "Stack Smashing" problem, i was trying to build it my self via instrucions of the last post on https://github.com/LibVNC/x11vnc/issues/61
but i still have errors:

checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: in `/home/gburas/x11vnc':
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details
also when i ran:

:~/x11vnc$ sudo apt-get build-dep x11vnc
E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:29 pm

the first error when you try to compile it pretty much says you don't have any compiler installed (you should at least install build-essentials) the seconds means you don't have the deb-src lists in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, which is no big deal as they can be added manually or via synaptic.

I'll look into the issue.
I don't use x11vnc, as I prefer vino over all other VNC servers, but I'll see what I can find out and either produce a 0.9.13 package with the patch or update it to 0.9.15, but this might take a while.

Gburas

Unread post by Gburas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:28 pm

i will try vino and let you knew, it doesn`t matter for me if it works, simply in jessie x11vnc works best for me

Gburas

Unread post by Gburas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Which client do you use? i can`t connect, i did
If you can't use X forwarding or access the ODROID on the TV, you can use gsettings instead which is already preinstalled:
gsettings set org.gnome.Vino just press tab twice to see all your options here...
for example gsettings set org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled false

After that you can start vino. For example remotely via SSH like:
DISPLAY=:0 /usr/lib/vino/vino-server
but i can`t connect

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:55 pm

I've uploaded a patched version of x11vnc which you should be able to install via:

apt-get install -t stretch x11vnc
Gburas wrote:Which client do you use?
I normally use remmina under Linux to connect to remote servers.
Under Windows I use UltraVNC but it could be that UltraVNC has issues with vino, due to problems with encryption.. there was an setting you needed to do before it worked.

Gburas

Unread post by Gburas » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 pm

thx @meveric but at the same time I succeeded in compiling v.15, it works
back to vine i have tested 5 clients and varius settings (also disable encrypion in vine) but no sucessfull

as always, thank you for your help
next week i will donate "few bros"
but sometimes I wonder, you answer so quickly in the forum ........ maybe you are AI :)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:27 pm

I subscribed to certain topics so I get a notification via mail and on my phone.. doesn't always work, but hey ;)
And job wise I'm always at a PC so that helps a lot.

regarding vino, what system do you run the client on? Windows? Linux? Mac? If Windows, what version (7/8/10)?
I can try to see if I can find out something. Linux and remmina should work fine, I use that all the time when I test stuff from my workplace at home on my ODROIDs ;)

thatchunkylad1989
ODROIDs: C2, XU4

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:33 pm

Please have a look at this, it's happening with your image as well as Ubuntu 18. :( :( :( :(

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=32086#

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 pm

As this is a general behavior of the Kernel it probably doesn't matter at all what Image you use, as the Kernels for each system are nearly identical.
Have you tried different resolution, or keeping the setting to HDMI anyway?

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 pm

meveric wrote:As this is a general behavior of the Kernel it probably doesn't matter at all what Image you use, as the Kernels for each system are nearly identical.
Have you tried different resolution, or keeping the setting to HDMI anyway?
It's not even working with my 4k TV too with HDMI......
Yes, I have.

I've tried everything I could think of....

I've even tried your Jessie image too!!

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Well the XU3/XU4 doesn't support 4k anyway, so you would probably have to force a lower resolution. But it should work in 1080p nonetheless.
Especially if you are directly connected via HDMI on the 4k TV.
I only used an older 4:3 1280x1024 DVI Monitor once with a HDMI->DVI cable which worked both in HDMI and DVI mode (where DVI was more stable).
DVI is not something that I can test a lot, as all TVs/Monitors I have normally run on HDMI not DVI.
Maybe @odroid or @mdrjr have an idea how to check on DVI.

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:03 pm

meveric wrote:Well the XU3/XU4 doesn't support 4k anyway, so you would probably have to force a lower resolution. But it should work in 1080p nonetheless.
Especially if you are directly connected via HDMI on the 4k TV.
I only used an older 4:3 1280x1024 DVI Monitor once with a HDMI->DVI cable which worked both in HDMI and DVI mode (where DVI was more stable).
DVI is not something that I can test a lot, as all TVs/Monitors I have normally run on HDMI not DVI.
Maybe @odroid or @mdrjr have an idea how to check on DVI.
It's not just DVI though because HDMI isn't working too! I'm getting "no signal" on both.
Can I check any log for errors or something?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 pm

Hmm not really, it's untypical to have no output at all.
I guess you tried different models of TVs/Monitors?

Maybe the XU3/XU4 you're using has a fault and isn't working cause of this.
It does boot up normally? Means the blue LED is blinking?

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:30 pm

meveric wrote:Hmm not really, it's untypical to have no output at all.

It boots normally and I can use it through SSH.
I've tried 2 TV's, 1 is 1 1080p bush TV and the other is a 4k Hitachi TV.
I've tried 3 monitors, 2 are 1080p Acer and the other is a BenQ 720p monitor.

All have no output. tried with the 2 TV's HDMI and the monitors HDMI to DVI.

Ugh.............

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Hmm it's unlikely that this is an issue with the TVs/Monitors you tried, it rather sounds like something on the ODROID might be broken.. HDMI normally works rather well, especially 1080p should work on nearly all systems out of the box.

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:15 am

thatchunkylad1989 wrote:
meveric wrote:Hmm not really, it's untypical to have no output at all.

It boots normally and I can use it through SSH.
I've tried 2 TV's, 1 is 1 1080p bush TV and the other is a 4k Hitachi TV.
I've tried 3 monitors, 2 are 1080p Acer and the other is a BenQ 720p monitor.

All have no output. tried with the 2 TV's HDMI and the monitors HDMI to DVI.

Ugh.............
I'm sure you have but did you test another HDMI cable?

thatchunkylad1989

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:47 am

Yep, tried 3 of them.
I done the eMMC recovery with Android and even that doesn't display! what the......

Gburas

Unread post by Gburas » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm

meveric wrote: regarding vino, what system do you run the client on? Windows? Linux? Mac? If Windows, what version (7/8/10)?
I can try to see if I can find out something. Linux and remmina should work fine, I use that all the time when I test stuff from my workplace at home on my ODROIDs ;)
hi
i also need vnc to work on odroid from my works ;) mostly i use win 7 & 10, x11vnc works with vnc-viewer 6.0.1 from realVNC
my problem is solved so don`t bother yourself, and cheers

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 am

Glad it's working.
Just for completion:
For Vino you can use the following option to make windows clients working:

gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false

Gburas

Unread post by Gburas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 pm

meveric wrote:Glad it's working.
Just for completion:
For Vino you can use the following option to make windows clients working:

gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
i have tried this option aswell but it also didn`t work for me

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I tried it together with UltraVNC Windows Client and it was working fine for me. I haven't tried any different clients yet.
Did you run the command as the user odroid, or as the user root (with sudo)? as this setting is for each user separately it should be run as "odroid" (as well as vino itself).
I also found every now and then these settings switch back to their original value (probably due to updates or something) you should check the state with "get" instedad of set to see what it's currently at.

Return to “Other OS”