[OS] Debian Stretch

aberrio
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4,HC2
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread post by aberrio » Wed May 23, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,

I think my problem is the /etc/fstab, how fstab should look like?

Regards,

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 23, 2018 3:16 pm

similar to this:

Code: Select all

UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859       /       ext4    errors=remount-ro,noatime,discard       0       1
UUID=96C3-9298                                  /boot   vfat    noatime,discard                         0       2
the first line can look different for you depending on if you moved it to HDD already or not, but the second line is the one that holds the bootfs.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Thu May 24, 2018 10:11 am

Hi,

Definitely there is a problem with 4.14.40+ image, not matter when you do the full update/upgrade the board does not boot from hdd does not recognize the HDD. I noticed that the upgrade/update change the fstab file, it remove the # from the first line, putting the # again did not work.

After the update the board does not recognize the hdd anymore, not even if you edit the boot.ini and change to the initial UUID, the only way to have the board back is with a fresh sd.

I do have image 4.14.40+ working fine in XU4 shellcloud 2 system. Maybe HC2 is not compatible with 4.14.40+.

Unfortunately can not play any more with this board, needs to be in production. It is working fine with image 4.14.28+ I ordered a new HC2 to pay with.

Best regards,

Al

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 24, 2018 3:32 pm

aberrio wrote:Hi,

Definitely there is a problem with 4.14.40+ image
No there is not, Kernel 4.14.40+ works perfectly fine, there are no major differences between 4.14.28 and 4.14.40 it's more likely that something is wrong with the uImage or something else, that prevents this from working.
aberrio wrote:not matter when you do the full update/upgrade the board does not boot from hdd does not recognize the HDD.
This is very odd, the issue on "boot" is that the system is most likely missing LVM drivers, but these should be definitely available if you booted from SD card instead as they should be installed on the system.
aberrio wrote:I noticed that the upgrade/update change the fstab file, it remove the # from the first line, putting the # again did not work.
Unlikely, the only step that changes /etc/fstab is when you move the content of the SD/eMMC to the HDD, aside from that /etc/fstab should not be touched, unless you're using a third party software such as OMV or something.
In fact there shouldn't even be a "#" on the first line, as this is the line that is replaced when you move the rootfs to the HDD.
If you changed the fstab entries before moving the rootfs it's very likely you are in a configuration that the automatic creation of the /etc/fstab entries cause to fail.
aberrio wrote:After the update the board does not recognize the hdd anymore, not even if you edit the boot.ini and change to the initial UUID, the only way to have the board back is with a fresh sd.
Once again, you are suppose to do a update BEFORE you move the rootfs to the HDD
1. update
2. reboot
3. move to hdd
aberrio wrote:I do have image 4.14.40+ working fine in XU4 shellcloud 2 system. Maybe HC2 is not compatible with 4.14.40+.
I have Kernel 4.14.40+ also working in a cloudshell 2 without issues, it's unlikely that the HC2 causes issues with the same Kernel, but not impossible, if that's really the case HardKernel needs to address this, as the Kernel is coming from them and is the same for all boards.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi,
This is very odd, the issue on "boot" is that the system is most likely missing LVM drivers, but these should be definitely available if you booted from SD card instead as they should be installed on the system.
I am not using LVM drivers.
No there is not, Kernel 4.14.40+ works perfectly fine, there are no major differences between 4.14.28 and 4.14.40 it's more likely that something is wrong with the uImage or something else, that prevents this from working.
if this is not the case something in the process is messing with the system.
Unlikely, the only step that changes /etc/fstab is when you move the content of the SD/eMMC to the HDD, aside from that /etc/fstab should not be touched, unless you're using a third party software such as OMV or something.
In fact there shouldn't even be a "#" on the first line, as this is the line that is replaced when you move the rootfs to the HDD.
If you changed the fstab entries before moving the rootfs it's very likely you are in a configuration that the automatic creation of the /etc/fstab entries cause to fail.
Here is a copy of a running fstab file with 4.14.28+

#UUID=e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859      /       ext4    errors=remount-$
UUID=96C3-9298                                  /boot   vfat    noatime,discard$
/dev/sda1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 /mnt/data ext4 defaults 0 2

# Binds
/mnt/data/opt                             /opt              none          bind                                                  0       0
/mnt/data/var                             /var              none          bind                                                  0       0

and a copy of the boot.ini file

ODROIDXU-UBOOT-CONFIG

# U-Boot Parameters
setenv initrd_high "0xffffffff"
setenv fdt_high "0xffffffff"

# Mac address configuration
setenv macaddr "00:1e:06:61:7a:87

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Basic Ubuntu Setup. Don't touch unless you know what you are doing.
# --------------------------------

setenv bootrootfs "console=tty1 console=ttySAC2,115200n8 root=UUID=fc013dc4-721e-40dd-8ddf-b55ba4df6a30 rootwait ro fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0"

and uname result

root@mysql:~# uname -a
Linux mysql 4.14.28+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 22 10:05:39 UTC 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
and the mounted root partition is in the HDD

root@mysql:~# lsblk -f
NAME        FSTYPE LABEL  UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
sda
├─sda1      ext4          fc013dc4-721e-40dd-8ddf-b55ba4df6a30 /
└─sda2      ext4          6b41aef7-0b21-48a1-83dc-6eb132e91943 /mnt/data
mmcblk1
├─mmcblk1p1 vfat   boot   96C3-9298                            /boot
└─mmcblk1p2 ext4   rootfs e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859

What is wrong when I update/upgrate/dist-upgrade image 4.14.40+?

Regards,

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 am

I see, you're using quite a different setup, and linux can be VERY picky.
1. boot.ini using UUID might fail if the system can for any reason not read the hdd. I'd suggest trying to use the device instead: root=/dev/sda1 maybe that can help
2. /etc/fstab normally having an HDD in the fstab is a normal process, but it can also cause major issues if the HDD is not found, this often leads to the system stopping loading at all..
kinda like waiting for ever to find that particular entry and never finish.
Especially with USB harddrives this can be an issue, but if the harddrive is permanently attached this should not happen.

I'd still would suggest trying to boot the system from SD/eMMC do a full system upgrade (to 4.14.40) and after a reboot check if it finds the HDD.
If that's the case try moving the OS.
So boot the OS from standard SD/eMMC image fully upgraded and check if HDD is found (do not try to boot from HDD).
If not then maybe some Kernel drivers really messes with the HDD itself.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am

Hi,

I will try that when I receive a new SATA HDD, I have a new board, unfortunate does not recognize two Western Digital WD3200AAJS, both rive were recognized by a windows machine. This is not a board problem because I install another WD and was able to recognized.

Best regards,

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

BTW,
I'd still would suggest trying to boot the system from SD/eMMC do a full system upgrade (to 4.14.40) and after a reboot check if it finds the HDD.
So boot the OS from standard SD/eMMC image fully upgraded and check if HDD is found (do not try to boot from HDD).
If not then maybe some Kernel drivers really messes with the HDD itself.
I did this already.

Regards,

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Sun May 27, 2018 8:40 am

Hi,

Here we go again with new HC2 board, HDD and SD card.
1. boot.ini using UUID might fail if the system can for any reason not read the hdd. I'd suggest trying to use the device instead: root=/dev/sda1 maybe that can help
Did not work.
Did not work here are both boot.ini and fstab files.

/boot/boot.ini

ODROIDXU-UBOOT-CONFIG

# U-Boot Parameters
setenv initrd_high "0xffffffff"
setenv fdt_high "0xffffffff"

# Mac address configuration
setenv macaddr "00:1e:06:61:7a:87

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------$
# Basic Ubuntu Setup. Don't touch unless you know what you are doing.
# --------------------------------

setenv bootrootfs "console=tty1 console=ttySAC2,115200n8 root=UUID=3f8ae9fc-335$

/etc/fstab insformation

UUID=3f8ae9fc-335e-44f4-abd2-0beaf3d1cc07       /       ext4    errors=remount-$
UUID=96C3-9298                                  /boot   vfat    noatime,discard$
Unable to upgrade and boot from HDD with Image 4.14.40+, in the mean time I will continue using 4.14.28+

Regards,

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 pm

I see if I can get my hand on a HC2.. only have the HC1 at home.. and will try if I can find out.
This seems really strange.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Thu May 31, 2018 9:00 am

Hi,

What I found was that if you use am SD greater than 16GB the board does not recognized the HD. There is an error when you do a full update/upgrade coping boot BAK file. I am not able to recreate the error because I do not have a 32GB but I tried with a 128 GB EVO + card and the board did not recognized.

I am expecting a new 32 GB sd card to try on a new board and new HDDD.

Does this make sense?

Regards,

Al

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 am

aberrio wrote:There is an error when you do a full update/upgrade coping boot BAK file.
This error always happens no matter the size of the SD card, and can be ignored, it's not a real error just a warning due to the fact that fat filesystem used on the bootfs does not support hardlinks.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm

ok, so why I did not have problem with a 16GB SD card? I just installed a new board with the same size HDD without errors? The only difference was the size of the SD card.

Regards,

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 31, 2018 7:15 pm

The XU4 has some issues with SD cards, some vendors are not very well supported.. Most of them are by now, but a few SD cards remain that can cause issues.
In the past it was much worse, I have a SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB card that got corrupted even when you just booted the board. Means files got damaged and you couldn't use the system anymore.
On other boards it worked fine though and by now the Kernel is sufficiently patched to support them as well.

iswego
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: odroid xu4
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by iswego » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:37 am

I face the same problems booting vom HD/SSD.
I use an 16GB SD. Configuration of boot.ini anf fstab as described by abberio. Configuration and SD worked with ubuntu 16.04.
With stretch (4.14.40) system hangs during boot.

iswego
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: odroid xu4

Unread post by iswego » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:25 am

It finaly works.
Used 4 gb SD for booting. Copied Files to ssd and changed boot.ini like this:

setenv bootrootfs "console=tty1 consoleblank=0 root=UUID=7d62ae29-a3cf-41d0-9127-065cfc08fbe6 rootwait rootdelay=10 ro fsck.repair=yes"

The rootdelay made the difference for me...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:36 pm

that's good to know.. glad it worked out for you.

aberrio

Unread post by aberrio » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:17 am

Something that I noticed is that the issue happen with HDD higher or equal 1 Tetra. I did a 500 MG installation without problem.

Regards,

Summerguy
languages_spoken: French
ODROIDs: Xu4

Unread post by Summerguy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 am

Anyone have been able to install omv on this image ?

i always got this erro. I tried to format my emmc card 5 times.

Please ignore the following error about deb-systemd-helper not finding samba-ad-dc-service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/nmbd.service -> /lib/systemd/system/nmbd.service.
Failed to preset unit: Unit file /etc/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service is masked.
/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: systemctl preset failed on samba-ad-dc.service: No such file or directory
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/smbd.service -> /lib/systemd/system/smbd.service.
Setting up libpangocairo-1.0-0:armhf (1.40.5-1) ...
Setting up librrd8:armhf (1.6.0-1+b2) ...
Setting up nginx (1.10.3-1+deb9u1) ...
Setting up rrdcached (1.6.0-1+b2) ...
Setting up rrdtool (1.6.0-1+b2) ...
Setting up collectd (5.7.1-1.1) ...
Job for collectd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status collectd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript collectd, action "restart" failed.
* collectd.service - Statistics collection and monitoring daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/collectd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-06-12 01:16:30 UTC; 40ms ago
     Docs: man:collectd(1)
           man:collectd.conf(5)
           https://collectd.org
  Process: 23189 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/collectd -t (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 12 01:16:30 debian-stretch systemd[1]: collectd.service: Unit entered fa…te.
Jun 12 01:16:30 debian-stretch systemd[1]: collectd.service: Failed with res…e'.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: error processing package collectd (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of openmediavault:
 openmediavault depends on collectd; however:
  Package collectd is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up python3 (3.5.3-1) ...
Setting up python3-lxml (3.7.1-1) ...
Setting up python3-six (1.10.0-3) ...
Setting up lsb-release (9.20161125) ...
Setting up python3-pyudev (0.21.0-1) ...
Setting up python3-netifaces (0.10.4-0.1+b2) ...
Setting up liblvm2cmd2.02:armhf (2.02.168-2) ...
Setting up python3-natsort (4.0.3-2) ...
Setting up dh-python (2.20170125) ...
Setting up python3-dialog (3.4.0-1) ...
Setting up dmeventd (2:1.02.137-2) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/dm-event.socket -> /lib/systemd/system/dm-event.socket.
Setting up python3-apt (1.4.0~beta3) ...
Setting up python3-dbus (1.2.4-1+b1) ...
Setting up lvm2 (2.02.168-2) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/lvm2-lvmetad.socket -> /lib/systemd/system/lvm2-lvmetad.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/lvm2-lvmpolld.socket -> /lib/systemd/system/lvm2-lvmpolld.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/lvm2-monitor.service -> /lib/systemd/system/lvm2-monitor.service.
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-4.14.28+.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-4.14.28+': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.28+
W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
Image Name:   uInitrd
Created:      Tue Jun 12 01:16:51 2018
Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    8004494 Bytes = 7816.89 kB = 7.63 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point:  00000000
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for resolvconf (1.79) ...
Processing triggers for rsyslog (8.24.0-1) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.10.26-0+deb9u1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 collectd
 openmediavault
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Summerguy

Unread post by Summerguy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 am

I followed this :

Debian 9 (Stretch)
Add the package repositories:

cat <<EOF >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis main
# deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... t/packages arrakis main
## Uncomment the following line to add software from the proposed repository.
# deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis-proposed main
# deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... t/packages arrakis-proposed main
## This software is not part of OpenMediaVault, but is offered by third-party
## developers as a service to OpenMediaVault users.
# deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis partner
# deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... t/packages arrakis partner
EOF
Install the openmediavault 4 (Arrakis) package:

export LANG=C
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
export APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND=none
apt-get update
apt-get --allow-unauthenticated install openmediavault-keyring
apt-get update
apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded \
--allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages \
--no-install-recommends \
--option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" \
--option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" \
install postfix openmediavault
# Initialize the system and database.
omv-initsystem

Summerguy

Unread post by Summerguy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:21 am

Same with .47 kernel . ( fresh install)

update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/lvm2-lvmetad.socket -> /lib/systemd/system/lvm2-lvmetad.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/lvm2-lvmpolld.socket -> /lib/systemd/system/lvm2-lvmpolld.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/lvm2-monitor.service -> /lib/systemd/system/lvm2-monitor.service.
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
ln: failed to create hard link '/boot/initrd.img-4.14.47+.dpkg-bak' => '/boot/initrd.img-4.14.47+': Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.47+
W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
Created:      Tue Jun 12 02:15:10 2018
Data Size:    5711930 Bytes = 5578.06 kB = 5.45 MB
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u3) ...
Processing triggers for resolvconf (1.79) ...
Processing triggers for rsyslog (8.24.0-1) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.10.26-0+deb9u1) ...
 collectd
 openmediavault

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Kernel installed fine, the installation of collectd and openmediavault fails.
You have to figure out what's wrong with collectd.

Summerguy

Unread post by Summerguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Thank you ,

I tried a buntch of things, but was never able to run OMV.
From memory , I think it was relate to dns, and hostname, cuz i was getting error for that after reinstalling collectd

Anyways, i installed the dietpi image ( witch is base on yours, and has the 14.4x kernel) and i was able to install OMV!

I really don't know was is the difference between those two versions..

problem solved for me.

trikster

Unread post by trikster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:50 am

I have a fresh install and get this error:

sudo: unable to resolve host debian-stretch
I didn't do anything but update the system and install sudo. Any ideas how to get rid of this error? Thanks.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:20 am

can you check /etc/hosts if it has an entry for

127.0.0.1 debian-stretch

trikster

Unread post by trikster » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks @meveric /etc/hosts had

127.0.0.1 localhost
No more error now ;)

highend
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Unread post by highend » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

Are there any known performance problems with Stretch?

I've used your Jessie image before (4.9 kernel) with a few speed optimizations:

For Samba

# Performance tuning
  use sendfile = yes
  getwd cache = yes
  write cache size = 524288
  min receivefile size = 16384
Governor is "ondemand" in \boot\boot.ini

grep -E 'CPU0|usb' /proc/interrupts

CPU0  CPU1  CPU2  CPU3  CPU4  CPU5  CPU6  CPU7
  80:      50     0     0     0     0     0     0     0  GICv2 103 Edge  ehci_hcd:usb1, ohci_hcd:usb2
 150:   82887     0     0     0     0     0     0     0  GICv2 104 Edge  xhci-hcd:usb3
 151:  905700     0     0     0     0     0     0     0  GICv2 105 Edge  xhci-hcd:usb5
 152:       0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0  exynos4210_wkup_irq_chip  5 Edge  extcon_usb3_0
 153:       1     0     0     0     0     0     0     0  exynos4210_wkup_irq_chip  1 Edge  extcon_usb3_1
 154:       0     0     0     0     0     0     0     0  exynos4210_wkup_irq_chip  4 Edge  extcon_usb3_1
After that, modifying rc.local

# Move USB and network irqs to first A15 CPU cluster
# usb2
echo 6 > /proc/irq/80/smp_affinity_list
# usb3
echo 5 > /proc/irq/150/smp_affinity_list
# usb3 [network]
echo 4 > /proc/irq/151/smp_affinity_list
# Enable RPS on all A15 cores expect the interrupt core (4)
echo e0 > /sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus
Should 152, 153 & 154 be tweaked?

The equivalent tuning options under Jessie gave me about 100MB/sec down und ~75MB/sec up via samba
Now I'm just getting 35MB/sec down, 55MB/sec up...

The external USB3 2,5 inch hdd is encrypted but this has already been the case under Jessie

cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sda -c serpent-cbc-essiv:sha256 -s 256
This cipher isn't the bottleneck here...

The network isn't it either:

root@odroid-xu4:~# iperf -s
------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  4] local 192.168.0.5 port 5001 connected with 192.168.0.10 port 49621
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec  1.10 GBytes   940 Mbits/sec

Any hints to get better speeds?
Last edited by highend on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 pm

The Jessie image came with Kernel 3.10 back then, the new Stretch comes with Kernel 4.14 I don't know what exactly might be the issue between the two Kernels that cause such big differences.
But I recommend trying using performance governor instead of ondemand and compare if this makes a difference.
I haven't done any performance tests for network traffic on Debian Stretch (or Debian Jessie for that matter) yet.
If I have a little more time I can look into it but currently I'm rather busy with other tasks, still I can try a few items if you find something, I just won't be able to apply a general solution at the moment.

highend

Unread post by highend » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:23 pm

The Jessie image came with Kernel 3.10 back then
I know, I've installed your provided 4.9.29 kernel afterwards:

wget https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/linux-image-4.9.29+_4.9.29-20170527-XU3_armhf.deb -O kernel4.9.29.deb
wget https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/linux-headers-4.9.29+_4.9.29-20170527-XU3_armhf.deb -O headers4.9.29.deb
dpkg -i kernel4.9.29.deb
dpkg -i headers4.9.29.deb
Ofc I've edited the boot.ini afterwards to reflect the necessary change for exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb
and uname -a reported the new kernel active after rebooting

The physical speed of the drive isn't a factor, too

root@odroid-xu4:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1446 MB in  2.00 seconds = 723.39 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 318 MB in  3.01 seconds = 105.69 MB/sec
I've tried the performance governor and got a 10MB/sec + for downloads (so it went up to 45MB/sec)

I've tried FTP (from the odroid to a client machine this time!) to download a 1,4GB file in binary mode: 57MB/sec
That's nearly identical to what I get with samba, so it seems samba / it's configuration is not the culprit here...

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 pm

highend wrote:
The Jessie image came with Kernel 3.10 back then
I know, I've installed your provided 4.9.29 kernel afterwards:

wget https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/linux-image-4.9.29+_4.9.29-20170527-XU3_armhf.deb -O kernel4.9.29.deb
wget https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/kernel/XU3/4.9.x/linux-headers-4.9.29+_4.9.29-20170527-XU3_armhf.deb -O headers4.9.29.deb
dpkg -i kernel4.9.29.deb
dpkg -i headers4.9.29.deb
Ofc I've edited the boot.ini afterwards to reflect the necessary change for exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb
You should have simply installed:

apt-get install linux-image-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3 linux-headers-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3
as it would have automatically update to the later Kernels as well. Latest Kernel was 4.9.61 not 4.9.29 ;)
It would also have automatically taken care of the changes in the boot.ini
highend wrote:The physical speed of the drive isn't a factor, too

root@odroid-xu4:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1446 MB in  2.00 seconds = 723.39 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 318 MB in  3.01 seconds = 105.69 MB/sec
I've tried the performance governor and got a 10MB/sec + for downloads (so it went up to 45MB/sec)

I've tried FTP (from the odroid to a client machine this time!) to download a 1,4GB file in binary mode: 57MB/sec
That's nearly identical to what I get with samba, so it seems samba / it's configuration is not the culprit here...
hmm I'll try to check on that later.. I also have a Debian Stretch up and running as a file server but I don't have these issues (but I did no perfomance tuning it runs with the default settings).

For all I know ssh should be the slowest, Samba should be rather fast though and so should ftp.
I'll see what I can find out but it's gonna take a while.
It should at least reach around 70 MB/sec with samba maybe even more.

highend

Unread post by highend » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:05 pm

apt-get install linux-image-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3 linux-headers-4.9-armhf-odroid-xu3
Thanks, seems my info was a bit outdated (but still working fine)

I'm on holiday for a while now, so please, do NOT hurry with any tests / investigations!

Thanks for your time and effort!

kamilmirza
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread post by kamilmirza » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:12 am

Summerguy wrote:Thank you ,

From memory , I think it was relate to dns, and hostname, cuz i was getting error for that after reinstalling collectd

Anyways, i installed the dietpi image ( witch is base on yours, and has the 14.4x kernel) and i was able to install OMV!

problem solved for me.
been struggling with this from last week
great find
thanks a lot!

kamilmirza

Unread post by kamilmirza » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Summerguy wrote:Thank you ,

problem solved for me.
well i tried dietpi, as you said, but omv4 fails to install on my end
my procedure was install and update dietpi after that i followed THIS OFFICIAL GUIDE
HERE is the output
can you guide me which steps did you followed

Gariboldi
ODROIDs: HC2

Unread post by Gariboldi » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:36 pm

Hello

I had the OS running on a HC2 with an SSD, using the headless version with everything on the SSD. After a dist-upgrade the HC2 was not booting anymore. There were errors thrown out that the new kernel files were not fully configured. Obviously something went wrong on the SD-card. So, I wrote a new image to the SD-card and it boots again. What I have to do, to boot from the existing systeme on the SSD again?

This is the current condition:

root@debian-stretch:~# lsblk -f
NAME        FSTYPE      LABEL  UUID                                   MOUNTPOINT
sda
└─sda1      LVM2_member        ZCiRIv-fOFZ-N3la-yKeb-edLn-uVBt-e6HGWI
mmcblk1
├─mmcblk1p1 vfat        boot   96C3-9298                              /boot
└─mmcblk1p2 ext4        rootfs e139ce78-9841-40fe-8823-96a304a09859   /

root@debian-stretch:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            931M     0  931M   0% /dev
tmpfs           200M   11M  189M   6% /run
/dev/mmcblk1p2  7.1G  588M  6.5G   9% /
tmpfs           998M     0  998M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           998M     0  998M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk1p1   71M   50M   22M  70% /boot
I guess, I need to set the sda1-UUID in the boot.ini, but like to ask before I do a mistake here.
Thanks for your kind support.
Regards
Gariboldi

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:14 am

if you used the setup-odroid script to move the rootfs to HDD you probably only have to install lvm2 and restore the boot.ini and /etc/fstab entries.

Please try the following commands:

apt-get install lvm2
sed -i "/modprobe -q dm-mod/alvm vgchange -ay" /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/lvm2
update-initramfs -d -k `uname -r`
update-initramfs -c -k `uname -r`
update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`
after that you need to reboot the system and it should be able to "see" the hdd as an LVM volume.
If that's the case we can go to the next step fixing the boot.ini rootfs entry and /etc/fstab rootfs entry :)

Gariboldi

Unread post by Gariboldi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 am

Hi meverick

Thanks for the quick reply. I was already looking through your setup script for the relevant entries. With your commands above I could restore the boot procedure already. Back on-line.

This was the dist-upgrade, which probably caused the boot issue:

Log started: 2018-07-08  12:23:44
Selecting previously unselected package linux-headers-4.14.52+.
(Reading database ...
...[lines removed]...
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 61228 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-4.14.52+_4.14.52-20180628-xu4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-4.14.52+ (4.14.52-20180628-xu4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.14.52+.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-4.14.52+_4.14.52-20180628-xu4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-4.14.52+ (4.14.52-20180628-xu4) ...
Replacing files in old package linux-image-4.14.40+ (4.14.40-20180515-xu4) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4_4.14.52-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (4.14.52-1) over (4.14.40-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4_4.14.52-1_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (4.14.52-1) over (4.14.40-1) ...
Setting up linux-headers-4.14.52+ (4.14.52-20180628-xu4) ...
Setting up linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (4.14.52-1) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.14.52+ (4.14.52-20180628-xu4) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.52+
Created:      Sun Jul  8 12:24:05 2018
Data Size:    6808966 Bytes = 6649.38 kB = 6.49 MB
mkimage: Write error on /boot/uInitrd-4.14.52+: Success
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/uInitrd exited with return code 1
cp: error writing '/boot/zImage': No space left on device
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zImage exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.14.52+ (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4:
 linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 depends on linux-image-4.14.52+; however:
  Package linux-image-4.14.52+ is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (--configure):
 linux-image-4.14.52+
 linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4
Log ended: 2018-07-08  12:24:10
When updating the new image directly on SD-card, there was no issue with that step.

regards

mrperfekotne
languages_spoken: Danish

Unread post by mrperfekotne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 am

Can i ssh in a terminal from a remote computer to this debian image out of the box as i have no screen for my odroid xu4 :)

kamilmirza

Unread post by kamilmirza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:53 am

mrperfekotne wrote:Can i ssh in a terminal from a remote computer to this debian image out of the box as i have no screen for my odroid xu4 :)
yes

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:28 am

Gariboldi wrote:This was the dist-upgrade, which probably caused the boot issue:

cp: error writing '/boot/zImage': No space left on device
This means that the space of the boot partition was full. It's no big deal as you can simply go to the /boot folder and delete old files that are no longer required.
When you're done doing that apt-get install -f will try to re-install the Kernel again and this time it should work.
I'd suggest using the apt-get autoremove command to uninstall unnecessary packages such as old Kernels.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Thank you for making Debian Stretch available for ODROID.

I have installed and updated your headless server image with no problems.
I am now thinking of installing the MATE desktop using your odroid setup tool, but I have some questions about the desktop installation process before doing so.

1. Can I use an existing user during installation or do I have to create a new user? Can I use root as the user?
2. Can I choose to not install a login manger?
3. Can I choose not to start the desktop on boot? The aim being that I want the command line as default boot environment but be able to start the desktop from the command line when needed?
4. Is a VNC Server installed as part of the desktop install? (In a similar way as ssh is activated for the headless server image)

Many thanks for your work in giving this image to the community.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 pm

jemail wrote:1. Can I use an existing user during installation or do I have to create a new user? Can I use root as the user?
Installation is done as root anyway.
Do you need another user to RUN/LOGIN on the desktop? -> No you don't but it's highly recommended.
If you log onto the desktop as root all programs you start have root permissions and can freely manipulate the entire system, every bug of every software you run on the desktop (firefox, chrome, screensaver, etc.) will instantly have root access and can manipulate the entire system without asking you. (Imagine a website with a java script that can completely manipulate your PC to do whatever someone wants).
jemail wrote:2. Can I choose to not install a login manger?
Choose? no, but you can uninstall it most likely but what would be the point of it?
You would never be able to use the desktop.
jemail wrote:3. Can I choose not to start the desktop on boot?
Choose, no, but you can later set the default to console and start the login manager manually which will automatically start the desktop.
jemail wrote:The aim being that I want the command line as default boot environment but be able to start the desktop from the command line when needed?
That is possible, but there's no option to select that, you have to manually tell the system to switch the default.
jemail wrote:4. Is a VNC Server installed as part of the desktop install? (In a similar way as ssh is activated for the headless server image)
Not that I'm aware of, you have to install your own VNC server if you need one.

Gariboldi

Unread post by Gariboldi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 am

meveric wrote: When you're done doing that apt-get install -f will try to re-install the Kernel again and this time it should work.
I'd suggest using the apt-get autoremove command to uninstall unnecessary packages such as old Kernels.
Thank you, I appreciate your support! I obviously rebooted too fast instead of cleaning \boot up. -

I have another topic, tried to install the unifi controller. The setup asks for mongodb, but it is not in the repository. Is it possible to add it? There is further java8 needed. Could this also be added, please?

Regards
Gariboldi

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 am

Java 8 is available as OpenJDK8 apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk
Or if you need Oracle Java you can take it directly from Oracle:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sed -i "s/stretch/xenial/" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java-stretch.list
I have to look what's the deal with mongodb... under Debian Jessie it was present, under Debian Stretch they removed it from armhf I have to check if I can fix it or backport it from Debian Buster.

Gariboldi

Unread post by Gariboldi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:23 am

meveric wrote:Java 8 is available as OpenJDK8 apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk
Or if you need Oracle Java you can take it directly from Oracle:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sed -i "s/stretch/xenial/" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java-stretch.list
For add-apt-repository I need to install software-properties-common, right? - o.k. this does it.

For mongodb integration, is this link of any help?
https://serverfault.com/questions/85704 ... an-stretch

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 am

you can try adding Debian Jessie repo to Debian Stretch.. this might help with mongodb.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:09 am

I have just performed an update today using:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

This process ends with errors:

Setting up linux-headers-4.14.55+ (4.14.55-20180712-xu4) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.14.55+ (4.14.55-20180712-xu4) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.55+
Created:      Thu Jul 12 18:01:48 2018
Data Size:    6812307 Bytes = 6652.64 kB = 6.50 MB
mkimage: Write error on /boot/uInitrd-4.14.55+: Success
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.14.55+ (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4:
 linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 depends on linux-image-4.14.55+; however:
  Package linux-image-4.14.55+ is not configured yet.

Setting up linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (4.14.55-1) ...
 linux-image-4.14.55+
I should point out that debian stretch is installed on my usb hard drive and has been booting no problem.
So I guess a new kernel did not update correctly?
I do not want to reboot the ODROID as I guess it will fail to boot?
Should I be concerned?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:44 am

jemail wrote:

Created:      Thu Jul 12 18:01:48 2018
This looks very odd.. It claims that the script /etc/kernel/postinst.d/uInitrd failed, but it shows that the uInitrd file was created:
Created: Thu Jul 12 18:01:48 2018
Image Type: ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 6812307 Bytes = 6652.64 kB = 6.50 MB
Entry Point: 00000000
Interesting is the next line:

Write error -> Success

It successfully create a write error? O_o

Can you try apt-get install -f and see what it says?

Also check under /boot see if /boot/uInitrd-4.14.55+ and /boot/uInitrd have the same size.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:50 am

Result of

apt-get install -f

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-headers-4.14.28+ linux-image-4.14.28+
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up linux-image-4.14.55+ (4.14.55-20180712-xu4) ...
Created:      Thu Jul 12 18:48:54 2018

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 gzip 1
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.14.55+ with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
 linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 depends on linux-image-4.14.55+; however:
  Package linux-image-4.14.55+ is not configured yet.

linux-image-4.14.55+

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 am

No space left on device.
Looks like you need to manually cleanup /boot
Remove some old files under /boot.
Anything that has a version smaller than 4.14.55+ can be deleted without an issue.
Afterwards do the apt-get install - f again and it should work.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 am

Size of /boot 70.9MB
Contents of /boot

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   16384 Jul 12 18:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root    4096 Jun 30 21:01 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    9785 Jun 30 16:42 boot.ini
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  150790 Mar 22 11:08 config-4.14.28+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  151102 Jun 28 08:02 config-4.14.52+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  151102 Jul 12 07:04 config-4.14.55+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   63805 Jul 12 07:08 exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   62750 Jul 12 07:08 exynos5422-odroidxu3-lite.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   63776 Jul 12 07:08 exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5711943 Jun 30 13:39 initrd.img-4.14.28+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 6812307 Jun 30 16:41 initrd.img-4.14.52+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 6820561 Jul 12 18:01 initrd.img-4.14.55+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2684702 Mar 22 11:08 System.map-4.14.28+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2694910 Jun 28 08:02 System.map-4.14.52+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2695605 Jul 12 07:04 System.map-4.14.55+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 6812371 Jul 12 18:48 uInitrd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5712007 Jun 30 13:42 uInitrd-4.14.28+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 6812371 Jul 12 18:48 uInitrd-4.14.52+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 4161536 Jul 12 18:48 uInitrd-4.14.55+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5661776 Mar 22 11:08 vmlinuz-4.14.28+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5675608 Jun 28 08:02 vmlinuz-4.14.52+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5675528 Jul 12 07:04 vmlinuz-4.14.55+
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5675528 Jul 12 18:48 zImage
Removed some stuff and redid apt-get command.

Should I be concerned about this warning?

Setting up linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (4.14.55-1) ...
W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (3 vs 7).
   Affected packages: linux-image-4.14.55+:armhf
I'm guessing that it's just because I deleted some stuff?
Last edited by jemail on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other OS”