[OS] Debian Jessie

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:14 am

I'm not too familiar with that topic, you are probably better off asking this in the "General" thread of the XU3/XU4 forum, since this is not related to any OS or image you're using.

I've used tvheadend as well on the XU4 already whith both backend and client runinng on the same device. The results vary a lot from what i've seen. Some shows never had any issues, other had quite a few deinterlacing issues. Sadly i'm not too familiar with the decoder used for the XU3/XU4 to tell if that's normal or not.
You may want to try switching screen resolution to 1080i and see if that changes anything, but I'm not sure about this.
As I said, it's not my field of experience :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Pienoet » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:32 am

meveric wrote:I'm not too familiar with that topic, you are probably better off asking this in the "General" thread of the XU3/XU4 forum, since this is not related to any OS or image you're using.

I've used tvheadend as well on the XU4 already whith both backend and client runinng on the same device. The results vary a lot from what i've seen. Some shows never had any issues, other had quite a few deinterlacing issues. Sadly i'm not too familiar with the decoder used for the XU3/XU4 to tell if that's normal or not.
You may want to try switching screen resolution to 1080i and see if that changes anything, but I'm not sure about this.
As I said, it's not my field of experience :)

Ok thanks for you explanation i will try first with tvheadend server and client both en switch my screen resolution to 1080i.

Then maybe start a new thread genaral XU3/XU4.

CEC is working fine too only thing i had to do was change the physical adress to 0x4000 and now it's working great.

Just finished installing tvheadend server, oscam and sundtek driver will try this out tonight.

Thanks for this great image!

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Pienoet

languages_spoken: english Dutch

Re: [OS] Debian Jessie - some serious dist-upgrade xorg prob

Unread postby andrewufrank » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:42 pm

i have done some serious dist-upgrade (to debian sid) and xserver does not start anymore.
i have an error msg
Code: Select all
 (EE) module ABI major version (19) doesn't match the server's version (19)

i assume it is the xf86-video-armsoc package, for which i should have a newer version - but i cannot find one.
what is to be done? (at the moment i am back on my previous jessie + version = it is more that i would like to understand how the process of updating/upgrading works here.

thank you!
andrewufrank

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:36 pm

xf86-video-armsoc needs to match the XOrg Server version. If you upgrade XOrg Server you need to upgrade xf86-video-armsoc as well.
xf86-video-armsoc is NOT part of the Debian standard repository but needs to be compiled manually. I did this for Debian Wheezy and Jessie, that's why it's part of my repository and can be installed for ODROIDs.
But I don't have packages for sid (obviously since sid is changing constantly that's not possible) you need to download and compile xf86-video-armsoc manually if you want to update XOrg server.
Still I would advice AGAINST doing that. Debian Sid is very unstable and changes quite often, which means you would have to compile it over and over again.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: ODROID-X2,ODROID-U2,ODROID-U3,ODROID-XU-Lite, ODROID-XU3, ODROID-XU3-Lite, ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Unread postby Fourdee » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:15 am

These images are awesome, great work! They put the Ubuntu images to shame.

DietPi for Odroid is now based on the excellent Debian Jessie images from Merveric:
http://dietpi.com
http://DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Odroid.
DietPi web hosting is powered by http://MyVirtualServer.com
Fourdee

ODROIDs: C1 / C2 / XU4 + Cloudshell.

Unread postby tp1360 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:03 am

Hi, a lot of work, nicely done and a major benefit to the community.

I may move my project to the XU4 from the C1+ and your OS sounds perfect for the job as it has the stability of Debian and a recent Chromium browser.

Your effort to compile Chromium for this OS is acknowledged, not easy, thanks.

Two questions:

Does Chromium support hardware acceleration?
Can I tx/rx with CEC device, either via cec-client or direct tx of raw cec commands (preferred)?
tp1360

ODROIDs: C1+

Unread postby peba » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:41 am

Meverics image is really great
-of course Chromium supports hw acceleration
http://www.bitkistl.com/2015/10/debian- ... d-xu4.html
peba

languages_spoken: english,german
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:42 am

tp1360 wrote:Hi, a lot of work, nicely done and a major benefit to the community.

I may move my project to the XU4 from the C1+ and your OS sounds perfect for the job as it has the stability of Debian and a recent Chromium browser.

Two questions:

Can I tx/rx with CEC device, either via cec-client or direct tx of raw cec commands (preferred)?

As peba said, HW acceleration for Chromium is working fine, you might have to start it with --use-gl=egl though.

CEC should be able to do the same as on the official ODROID image.
I know it's working fine in Kodi, and cec-client as well. Sadly I'm not too familiar with CEC so I can't answer specific questions to it :)
meveric

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:02 am

tp1360 wrote:Hi, a lot of work, nicely done and a major benefit to the community.

Two questions:

You actually were misled, chromium packages uploaded on his repo are just the same binaries provided on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS launchpad. :)
He's using different names "chromium-browser-odroid" so that it doesn't conflict with the chromium packages given by Debian Jessie provided on their official branch which seem to be outdated at the moment, unfortunately.

So, that's why we should use the ones available for ubuntu armhf branches, Debian team has not built up-to-date chromium-browser packages on their Jessie branch yet which is really sad, if they build them we will have much better compatible and optimized web browser.
ODROBIAN Jessie (C1/C1+/C0) (C2) (XU3/XU4) | RetroGaming Arcade (C1/C1+/C0) (XU3/XU4) | Repository (Debian/Ubuntu) (HowTo?)
XeoSal

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2 & XU4

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:17 am

XeoSal wrote:You actually were misled, chromium packages uploaded on his repo are just the same binaries provided on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS launchpad. :)
He's using different names "chromium-browser-odroid" so that it doesn't conflict with the chromium packages given by Debian Jessie provided on their official branch which seem to be outdated at the moment, unfortunately.

So, that's why we should use the ones available for ubuntu armhf branches, Debian team has not built up-to-date chromium-browser packages on their Jessie branch yet which is really sad, if they build them we will have much better compatible and optimized web browser.

Please stop telling lies, if you don't know what you're talking about.
These are NOT the same binaries as Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It's the same SOURCES as Ubuntu 14.04 that's why it still shares the package names from Ubuntu 14.04 , but these packages are completely recompiled ON Debian Jessie, FOR Debian Jessie.
So stop telling lies!
meveric

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:22 am

meveric wrote:Please stop telling lies, if you don't know what you're talking about.
These are NOT the same binaries as Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. It's the same SOURCES as Ubuntu 14.04 that's why it still shares the package names from Ubuntu 14.04 , but these packages are completely recompiled ON Debian Jessie, FOR Debian Jessie.
So stop telling lies!

Well, I am not telling lies, I am just stating that these were taken from ubuntu lanuchpad which is actually maintained for UBUNTU and not Debian, I am sorry if you are considering this as lying.
ODROBIAN Jessie (C1/C1+/C0) (C2) (XU3/XU4) | RetroGaming Arcade (C1/C1+/C0) (XU3/XU4) | Repository (Debian/Ubuntu) (HowTo?)
XeoSal

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:36 am

XeoSal wrote:Well, I am not telling lies

Yes you are telling lies.. It doesn't matter if you don't see it like that, but it's what you're doing.
You said I misled people into believing its compiled for Debian, while it's in fact binaries from Ubuntu.
And this is clearly a lie.

But I guess you're just trying to justify what you're doing on your image ;)
meveric

Unread postby XeoSal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:50 am

meveric wrote:But I guess you're just trying to justify what you're doing on your image ;)

Yeah exactly, that was my point, we don't want to confuse or mislead users, should we. :mrgreen:
XeoSal

Unread postby peba » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:18 pm

The Configuration for the Chromium browser in Debian is very close to the Ubuntu version.
http://www.bitkistl.com/2015/08/odroid- ... etail.html
Have a look how to enable hw accelerated features and how to add flash video support.
peba

languages_spoken: english,german

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:53 pm

For flash support you only need to install pepperflash-odroid
apt-get install pepperflash-odroid
meveric

Unread postby tp1360 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:32 am

Hi @meveric

Thanks for verifying that HW acceleration works so let me clarify my cec question.

I have tried, as have others, to obtain C1+ support for either cec-client or /dev/cec for direct tx/rx but we have all failed to motivate it to happen.

Therefore, I need to move my project to another device and the UX4 seems ideal but having not used it I have not personally confirmed that cec-client works as it requires an active cec serial port for it's connection. This is not available on the C1+ and it seems that side is not interested in enabling this feature even though most of the work is done in the HK drivers I understand.

I can use cec-client but prefer to have the ability of direct tx/rx to the cec driver.

Either approach works for me, so do I understand correctly that cec-client is working in your image even if there is no direct tx/rx available to an application?

....................................... personal observational comments...................................................................

Many thanks for your efforts. I agree with your comments that many if not most of the HK product users come from Windows backgrounds or lesser linux experience than you and other OS developers on the board. If true, and I am one of them, I can tell you personally that I very much appreciate and respect all these efforts and frankly could not consider HK products without them.

I also regret the friction between good people on the board who are trying to develop image support for HK devices. I get it but would prefer if it were possible for these good people to create two OS development teams one for C1+ and one for the UX family. There are some constructive elements surfaced from the friction but prefer teamwork. That said, I am in no way criticizing anyone. You all deserve the pride you have in your accomplishments and to assert your beliefs and experience.

That said, I am supportive of your preference for the UX4 from what I understand (mine is shipping this week) as the 1GB RAM of the C1+ is a limitation for some higher demand projects but then again it is a lower price point and really should be compared more to the Rpi and there it compares well I believe.
tp1360

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:53 am

Well, as I said, I'm not familiar with the CEC protocol.
All I can say is, that I can control Kodi with my TV remote if I activate CEC in Kodi on the XU3/XU4.
I can also start cec-client manually connect to the CEC entry on my TV and can see the buttons I press on my remote in the cec-client output.
That's pretty much all I can tell about CEC support.

I know there's a bug in the entire CEC software on the Exynos devices.. If you open CEC it never closes. This can result in you being unable to close Kodi since it's waiting for CEC to close all connections (which never happens).
And the same goes for cec-client. If when you start it only by killing the process you can end it. You can not exit the cec-client "normal".
meveric

Unread postby tp1360 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks, what you say is good news as if cec-client starts and is attached to the cec port all is well and given it is showing your RC actions it should be good to go.

I use cec-client to tx cec commands e.g. echo "standby 0" | cec-client -s.

The error I get on the C1+ is "unable to find serial port" so if you are not getting that when loading cec-client, it should be good.

I will play with it when I get it next week.

The issue is that Kodi uses libcec in a different manner than cec-client so Kodi can work and cec-client not work.

Thanks for the information.
tp1360

Unread postby gaara » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi,

New to Odroid (XU4), I would like to use this Debian image.
But what is le login? the password?

I tried odroid/odroid but it fails.

Thanks

Edit: root/odroid works !
gaara

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4

Unread postby Sharp » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:11 am

Hey,

Sry Im not realy a good Linux user and english speaker :s.
Trying to install a MATE graphical environement, via tasksel as Meveric explains it on his first post, when I push "enter" it doesn't happen anything, just return to the prompt command line. In syslog there is nothing about that action, I don't realy understand :s.
I am with an xu-4 and a 8 gb eMMC card.

Thanks for any help.
Sharp

languages_spoken: english/french/portugese

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:37 pm

you first have to "SELECT" what you want to install by pressing "space".
If you only press enter it's like pressing the OK button, but if you have nothing selected first (by pressing space) it has nothing to do :)
meveric

Unread postby Sharp » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:09 pm

...what a shame... Thanks a lot Meveric :D.
Sharp

Unread postby sha256 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:53 am

I have a question about your image,

How many and which non-Debian packages (i.e. from your personal repo) are strictly necessary to run a minimal installation (command line only)?

I know there is kernel + headers, but any others?
sha256

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:49 am

nothing besides the Kernel is needed.. headers is just for compiling modules and drivers.
And besides Kernel and Headers nothing is preinstalled on the image that's from my repository :)
meveric

Unread postby tp1360 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:39 am

Hi, I installed your OS and tried the tasksel command:

The page appeared but when I scrolled down, entered the option I wanted, it sent me back to terminal and did not allow me to get to 'ok' or pick multiple options.

Thanks for you work and please advise what I am doing wrong.
tp1360

Unread postby Sharp » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:00 am

Like me, u have to press "space" before pressing "enter" :).
Sharp

Unread postby tp1360 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:33 am

Thank you,

Did I miss reading something in the chain I should have?
tp1360

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 am

just a few posts higher.. but it's nothing special.. don't worry..
There are many menus on console where you select things with "space", navigate between options and fields with "tab" and confirm with "enter".
meveric

Unread postby Sharp » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:55 am

Now I have installed a graphical session (MATE), it works, but I met a real prob this time (I guess :D) I choosed a brazilian portuguese keyboard mapping (qwerty almost like US mapping), but rebooting the OS the keyboard mapping seems to have a prob, every buttuns are wrong, pressing "L" make a "T", pressing "T" make a "O" etc. I checked keyboard-configuration, evertihing look like ok, I can reach to enter my session ID an password on graphical session in a lot of time (searching for the good caracters) and when I am in the graphical session I am able to choose good keyboard layout in System -> keyboard, but every time I reboot it is the same ritual :s :s :s.
Sharp

Unread postby tp1360 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:10 am

I really do not wish to trouble you but I find many s2m_rtc_read_time and stop_alarm messages some even before the login prompt. Is there something I can do to not have these appear?

Also the screen wants to sleep too quickly for my needs, is there a way I can set this to never?

thx
tp1360

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:31 am

Sharp wrote:Now I have installed a graphical session (MATE), it works, but I met a real prob this time (I guess :D) I choosed a brazilian portuguese keyboard mapping (qwerty almost like US mapping), but rebooting the OS the keyboard mapping seems to have a prob, every buttuns are wrong, pressing "L" make a "T", pressing "T" make a "O" etc. I checked keyboard-configuration, evertihing look like ok, I can reach to enter my session ID an password on graphical session in a lot of time (searching for the good caracters) and when I am in the graphical session I am able to choose good keyboard layout in System -> keyboard, but every time I reboot it is the same ritual :s :s :s.

You should be able to connect via SSH and use your normal keyboard layout.. Did you follow the infos on the first post on how to change Keyboard Layout?
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:46 am

tp1360 wrote:I really do not wish to trouble you but I find many s2m_rtc_read_time and stop_alarm messages some even before the login prompt. Is there something I can do to not have these appear?

Not quite sure what is causing this. It should be something about the Real Time Clock.
Maybe HardKernel knows more about what's causing this.
Edit:
Seems it can be surpressed within the Kernel. I might create a new Kernel with the patch for that :)
Edit End

tp1360 wrote:Also the screen wants to sleep too quickly for my needs, is there a way I can set this to never?
thx

You're using console only right?
Try the following:
setterm -blank 0 >/dev/tty1 </dev/tty1
setterm -powersave off >/dev/tty1 </dev/tty1

If you're using a desktop environment you can set up the sleeping time of the monitor in the settings of your desktop environment.
meveric

Unread postby Sharp » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:05 am

meveric wrote:You should be able to connect via SSH and use your normal keyboard layout.. Did you follow the infos on the first post on how to change Keyboard Layout?

I followed step by step your tutorial, I guess I can easly ssh the Odroid but I realy needed a graphical session :s. Well I am going to re-install one more time.
Sharp

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:19 am

I meant you can use the SSH to try to fix the keyboard layout if you currently have issues with it. Without the need to reinstall everything :)
I never tried brazilian portuguese keyboard layout so I'm not sure how it's suppose to be. Have you tried taking a similar alternative keyboard layout?
meveric

Unread postby Sharp » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:15 am

With ctrl+alt+f1 keyboard is ok, but I am afraid I don't have enouth linux knowlege to check every conf files about keyboard layout to fix my prob. Thx anyway for helping.
Sharp

Unread postby Sch4f » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:02 pm

First of all i need to tell you that i like this image.

I just have to get some help for the following issues i have :

- after Tasksel and login into the gui i did a "dist-upgrade" right after the kernel update was done i let the Xu4 reboot and it remains in an blank monitor (flashed the image again)

- how can i speak to the Xu4 Cloudshell TFT; its reacting while booting up, but it seems not have the right resolution, how do it show me my system Stats.. ?

btw. im new to linux and not used to linux right now....

thx
Sch4f

languages_spoken: english, german

Unread postby meveric » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Sharp wrote:With ctrl+alt+f1 keyboard is ok, but I am afraid I don't have enouth linux knowlege to check every conf files about keyboard layout to fix my prob. Thx anyway for helping.

Well I thought you could try using the configuration for the keyboard again and switch it to a different language that is working.
It's not about manually editing config files.

First hello and welcome on the Forums :)
Sch4f wrote:First of all i need to tell you that i like this image.
- after Tasksel and login into the gui i did a "dist-upgrade" right after the kernel update was done i let the Xu4 reboot and it remains in an blank monitor (flashed the image again)

That's somewhat odd. And rarely happens. When you unplugged and replugged the power plug, did it do anything at all?
Sch4f wrote:- how can i speak to the Xu4 Cloudshell TFT; its reacting while booting up, but it seems not have the right resolution

The TFT of the Cloudshell only has a resolution of 320x240 you can barely see anything with that :)
Normally it should be enough to follow this guide http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... lcd_config to get the TFT to work on the CloudShell.
If you're using a graphical interface you might have to consider using a fitting XOrg configuration http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id= ... l_lcd_xorg

Sch4f wrote:how do it show me my system Stats.. ?
btw. im new to linux and not used to linux right now....
thx

On console you can run certain programs and output them on the TFT of the Cloudshell for exmple like this:
setsid sh -c 'exec htop <> /dev/tty1 >&0 2>&1'

this will output htop on the TFT of the cloudshell.

You might want to take a look into @Fourdee's very goot DietPi image viewtopic.php?f=98&t=15700 which is based on this Debian Jessie image.
It seems he can display many statistics on the Cloudshell TFT which are very useful. He also has tons of useful servers and programs scripted for easy use which you can choose from.
meveric

Unread postby Sch4f » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:42 pm

meveric r u married ? ;) if not i would do :P haha... was not expecting such a quick reply.

Sch4f wrote:
First of all i need to tell you that i like this image.

That's somewhat odd. And rarely happens. When you unplugged and replugged the power plug, did it do anything at all?

the Screen remains black and the fan of the u4 seems to be catched into a loop... he just runs for 2 secs, switches off, runs 2secs, ....

right now i just reflashed the image, and tasksel is done... should i do the dist-upgrade ?

@ the FAQ to let the xu4 run, there is written i have to update the kernel via odroid-utility... doesnt conflict that to the dist-upgrade ?
Sch4f

Unread postby Sch4f » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:53 pm

ok next issue, i just rechecked the Xu4 Cloudshell Manual, here they want to connect the Display &hdd to the top USB port. I just did that and plugged my edimax Wifi Adapter into the lower USB port. strangely now debian is not recognizing the adapter anymore.
btw. i cleaned the ports already
Sch4f

Unread postby Sharp » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:57 pm

meveric wrote:Well I thought you could try using the configuration for the keyboard again and switch it to a different language that is working.
It's not about manually editing config files.

I tried that when rebooting same thing, so I re-installed the system, I followed yout tuto step by step like the first time, I choosed English US keyboard layout, and same thing the keyboard became crazy no buttun do what he is supposed to do exept "M" :p. Is somebody can explains a thing to me, why in Linux, for every simple thing (as use a keyboard proprely or make a samba sharing on USB device...) you have to be a NASA ingeneer ?
Sharp

Unread postby rpnid » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:09 am

Sharp wrote:why in Linux, for every simple thing (as use a keyboard proprely or make a samba sharing on USB device...) you have to be a NASA ingeneer ?

1. Question: Linux or [your choice of] X??
2. Clarification: NASA usually has many openings, and only a few of them are hitting the same domain. OTOH, the ones that do may well require you to prove a bit more in advance than you might like.
3. Recommendation: Unless sbdy forces you to use things you decided to hate, you may take your choice and decide to simply not use them.
deepthought:~# make common sense
make: *** No rule to make target `common'. Stop.
rpnid

languages_spoken: deutsch, english
ODROIDs: some C1+, C2, XU4, and add-ons (Hifi-Shield, VU, 3"2 TFT, SHOW2, etc.)

Unread postby meveric » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:36 am

Sch4f wrote:the Screen remains black and the fan of the u4 seems to be catched into a loop... he just runs for 2 secs, switches off, runs 2secs, ....

right now i just reflashed the image, and tasksel is done... should i do the dist-upgrade ?

Hmm, what I normally do is the following:
after the first boot you should do a full system upgrade, means
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get autoremove

after that you should be able to install a desktop like MATE without issues.

I'll try in a little while myself to check if there's any new update that causes issues.
The image wasn't changed in the meantime, so it could only be that Debian made some new packages that are causing issues now, but as I said, I'll check on it in a little while.

Sch4f wrote:@ the FAQ to let the xu4 run, there is written i have to update the kernel via odroid-utility... doesnt conflict that to the dist-upgrade ?

Yes, the odroid-utility is only for HardKernels images, and in fact ever since 15.04 image it's also no longer needed to update the Kernel.
Please don't use odroid-utility, it's probably harmful to this image.

Sch4f wrote:ok next issue, i just rechecked the Xu4 Cloudshell Manual, here they want to connect the Display &hdd to the top USB port. I just did that and plugged my edimax Wifi Adapter into the lower USB port. strangely now debian is not recognizing the adapter anymore.

If assambled correctly you should have the USB 2.0 port free on the outside of the cloudshell. Using a USB hub should be good enough to control Wifi Adapter and keyboard/mouse, or whatever.
Another reason why Wifi is not working is, cause the firmware required for it is not yet installed.
Was it working on the XU4 previously? (for example with another image?)

Sharp wrote:I tried that when rebooting same thing, so I re-installed the system, I followed yout tuto step by step like the first time, I choosed English US keyboard layout, and same thing the keyboard became crazy no buttun do what he is supposed to do exept "M" :p. Is somebody can explains a thing to me, why in Linux, for every simple thing (as use a keyboard proprely or make a samba sharing on USB device...) you have to be a NASA ingeneer ?

Fun thing is, I never had issues with keyboard and stuff.. And I'm actually using a very cheap no name wireless mouse/keyboard and it works out of the box.
I changed keyboard layout to German, and don't have any issues. In fact when I install a Desktop it's asking what keyboard i want to use, and I select german.. after it's done and I'm on the desktop everything is working fine with german keyboard layout..
So normally it's rather easy. Question is, why issn't it for you. Do you have another keyboard you could try?
meveric

Unread postby Sch4f » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Sch4f wrote:
ok next issue, i just rechecked the Xu4 Cloudshell Manual, here they want to connect the Display &hdd to the top USB port. I just did that and plugged my edimax Wifi Adapter into the lower USB port. strangely now debian is not recognizing the adapter anymore.

If assambled correctly you should have the USB 2.0 port free on the outside of the cloudshell. Using a USB hub should be good enough to control Wifi Adapter and keyboard/mouse, or whatever.
Another reason why Wifi is not working is, cause the firmware required for it is not yet installed.
Was it working on the XU4 previously? (for example with another image?)

Right now i did it like u said, but i want to have the possibility to change the Position of the Cloudshell w/o need to replug an RJ45. Means i want to have the Wifi as backup.

The funny thing is, on the inner upper port it works w/o issues. i cleaned the port now 2 times with alcohol..
honestly i can´t clean it again, last time i took so much of this alcohol i felt asleep in front of my odroid... ;D
Sch4f

Unread postby sha256 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Ran this image on a XU4 finally. Basics work, thanks, but ran into a couple things:

1. Some programs complain that "/" isn't owned by root (it isn't)

2. On first
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
I'm forced to reinstall linux-image even though it's same version. Succeeds but gives this message:
 Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.10.92+/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.10.92+/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.10.92+/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.10.92+/source

I can't remember if this is normal.

apt-get install cryptsetup
complains about the /boot filesystem (this is running under root):
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.120) ...
ln: failed to create hard link ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.92+.dpkg-bak’ => ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.92+’: Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.92+

I think this also happened on pis

cryptsetup benchmark
doesn't reach Ubuntu 15.04 even with performance governor: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=17882#p118334
sha256

Unread postby meveric » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:07 pm

sha256 wrote:Ran this image on a XU4 finally. Basics work, thanks, but ran into a couple things:

1. Some programs complain that "/" isn't owned by root (it isn't)

Hmm, you're right. I never bothered checking permissions on /. Thanks for the info, I see that I fix this after the holidays :)

sha256 wrote:2. On first
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
I'm forced to reinstall linux-image even though it's same version. Succeeds but gives this message:
 Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.10.92+/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.10.92+/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.10.92+/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.10.92+/source

I can't remember if this is normal.

It is normal, It's checking if the build and source directories are still the same as of when the Kernel was build, which they are not so in order to not confuse other programs that might want to build modules for the Kernel it removes invalid links. Still since the Kernel-Headers are installed, you should find a build link in /lib/modules/3.10.92+/ that is pointing to the Kernel Headers.
If you remove the headers and install the Kernel again, the build link will also be removed.
So yes, that's normal behaviour.
sha256 wrote:3.
apt-get install cryptsetup
complains about the /boot filesystem (this is running under root):
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.120) ...
ln: failed to create hard link ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.92+.dpkg-bak’ => ‘/boot/initrd.img-3.10.92+’: Operation not permitted
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.10.92+

I think this also happened on pis

That's cause this doesn't work on FAT partition. The process is trying to create a "hard link" and FAT partitions do not support hard links. Since the boot partition is a FAT partition (in order to be able to edit it under Windows and all other operating systems) this throws an error. But it's nothing serious, you can just ignore it :)

sha256 wrote:4.
cryptsetup benchmark
doesn't reach Ubuntu 15.04 even with performance governor: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=17882#p118334

Yes I was following that thread.. Initially I thought I could have been some issues with the Kernel but several tries showed it has nothing to do with the Kernel, by now I think it's about the different crypt libraries in Ubuntu and other OS system. If you have time to do it, you should try upgrading your system to Ubuntu 16.04 and try the benchmark there as well.. I'd like to know how a recent Ubuntu reacts to it.
maybe you can exchange the crypt libraries as well and see the same results on Debian.. I was playing around with that a little.. but without results by now.
meveric

Unread postby sha256 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:45 am

Thanks for the explanations. As you can you tell the performance concern suddenly got real.

I was trying to upgrade to 16.04 but it was going to take over a day on my spare card, and seeing as the kernel modules are now a bigger issue I cancelled it.

I worry that I could be forced to use 4.2 kernel to fix the issue(s), but using mainline kernels on Debian stable is always bound to cause problems eventually...

And packaging... does regular kernel deb packaging work out for odroids? As in "make deb-pkg"?
sha256

Unread postby Plutonium » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi, I have a question about the kernel. I can see that there are more recent kernels, for example 4.2, available from debian's repository, is it save/OK to use those? If so would a "apt-get install" suffice to upgrade the kernel or is there other things I need to do?

Thanks!
Plutonium

Unread postby meveric » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:07 pm

sha256 wrote:And packaging... does regular kernel deb packaging work out for odroids? As in "make deb-pkg"?

Sadly it does not. It need quite some alteration. I still use make-kpkg but it requires quite some extras to build working packages :)
I still build Kernels often to keep up with new development and changes. And have some patches of my own compared to HK Kernels.

Plutonium wrote:Hi, I have a question about the kernel. I can see that there are more recent kernels, for example 4.2, available from debian's repository, is it save/OK to use those? If so would a "apt-get install" suffice to upgrade the kernel or is there other things I need to do?

Thanks!

No, they won't work. The Kernels for ODROIDs have special modification to get graphics drivers, HDMI, and other things to work. Upstream Kernel right now is not officially supported and options with them are limited.
Means.. You probably could boot the device, but will most likely have issues with it, especially if you want to do anything else as using it as a server (means no 3D support, No Kodi, etc.)
meveric

Unread postby Plutonium » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Can you share how you build the xf86-video-armsoc package? I am planning to do a dist-upgrade to testing.
Plutonium

Unread postby meveric » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:12 am

I guess you can try:
git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-armsoc
cd xf86-video-armsoc
git reset --hard ddd97ea
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --with-drmmode=exynos
make
make install
meveric

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS