[OS] Debian Bullseye

LichtiMC
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU-4
Been thanked: 0

Re: [OS] Debian Bullseye

Post by LichtiMC »

With the older buster-image I didn't have such kind of problems. Is it possible that the kernel is the problem?
Do I have the correct and most recent kernel?

Code: Select all

Linux ha-server 6.3.1-armmp-lpae #exynos5 SMP PREEMPT Mon May  8 15:27:00 UTC 2023 armv7l GNU/Linux

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

The old buster-image was using an old Kernel 4.14 which came from HardKernel itself and has a lot of adaptations to make the hardware run properly.
This image is based on upstream Kernel and has very limited adaptations as by now most of the drivers are available upstream which also allows for open source MESA GPU (OpenGL + OpenGL ES) driver rather than the closed source MALI GPU drivers (OpenGL ES only) and a few other things.
It's not perfect, but has a lot potential.
Newer Kernel versions are available but I haven't had time to test the adaptations yet to make sure it's working.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

LichtiMC
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: XU-4

Post by LichtiMC »

meveric wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:59 am
Newer Kernel versions are available but I haven't had time to test the adaptations yet to make sure it's working.
May you find time to provide a newer kernel image? I could rule out a kernel-bug by trying a current version.
Thank you very much for all the time you spend on this project!

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2, H2 (J4105), GoA, C4, GoA v1.1, H2+, HC4, GoS

Post by meveric »

newer Kernel doesn't necessarily mean it's "not" a Kernel bug.. it could still be an issue with the Kernel even with newer images.
I'll see if I can work on an updated Kernel, but I had many issues with later Kernel's and haven't had the time to fix them yet.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
LichtiMC (Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:28 am)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

DavidB
languages_spoken: english

Post by DavidB »

Thanks for all you do Meveric.
meveric wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:17 am
There is an error in the first console command:
console=console=ttySAC2,115200n8
should be console=ttySAC2,115200n8

not sure if I messed that up, I thought I fixed that.
It's been a couple years since you mentioned this, but I've pulled a few odroids out of the past a few weeks ago, and I can't get past this on my HC1. It's the old "console=console=ttySAC2" on the first boot script's syntax or environment gotcha. I've been trying to solve this without bothering you, but I haven't awk'd sed'd bash'd anything in over a decade, and I'm happy about that - walked away from corporate development in 2008 and retired completely in 2018. I was about to give up and download a different breed of distro, but I like your builds.

Is there any way you could just explicitly cite the code problem here in the forum, so it can be fix on the fly and everyone be on our way? Or, is this lost in a compiled, linked and built source module? If it's a script bug, maybe you can help educate some of the youngsters here with a simple file, line number, explanation (you can fix later on your own time without a need to push a fix now). I've already set aside a few partitions on an my PC and copied both partitions from the your Bullseye images - that's where I've been looking, but without a console or UART (because of this "Kernel command line=" glitch) I can't see or follow the boot/init processes. I see a potential for the development of the problem here in:

usr/local/share/setup-odroid/flash-kernel/bootscript/bootscr.odroid32:75:setenv bootargs "@@LINUX_KERNEL_CMDLINE_DEFAULTS@@ root=${rootfs} console=${console} console=tty0 net.ifnames=0 fsck.mode=auto fsck.repair=yes ro earlycon clk_ignore_unused no_console_suspend ${maxcpus} ${usbcore} ${videoconfig} ${delay} ${vout} ${HPD} ${extraargs}"
Here console=${console} is a potential trap for setting a variable from an environment which has already been defined in scope, but I've no way to follow this through with a SoC board sporting no I/O. I'm at your mercy champ.

This is in both the previous 10/03/2022 and latest 02/04/2023 Bullseye images as far as I can determine. I've downloaded them several times with different systems, always check the hash, flashed to several new and a variety of microSD cards with BalenaEtcher, but I can't get paste this persistent problem. I'm wore out.

meveric

Post by meveric »

The bootscript is located under /etc/flash-kernel/bootscript/ here you should find the bootscr.odroid32 bootscript
You can make changes to the script and if you run flash-kernel the change will be deployed.

While this might be a problem with the original image, after a system update I would expect this to be gone.
The current code states:

# different console for AmLogic devices
if test "${soc}" = "meson"; then
  setenv console "ttyAML0,115200n8"
  setenv usbcore "usbcore.autosuspend=-1"
elif test "${soc}" = "exynos"; then
  setenv console "ttySAC2,115200n8"

fi
Which sets the variable $console to "ttySAC2,115200n8"
which should result in console=${console} being console="ttySAC2,115200n8"
It could well be, that in the initial image this was still incorrect.

Return to “Other OS”